Page 51 of 346 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 8637

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Harmonica

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm very interested in seeing Munich. Is it worth my time or should I wait till DVD?

BTW, if you are interested in the whole ordeal may I suggest you watch "one day in September" a documentry about the entire event.

Gives the best min. by min. analysis that I have ever seen.

Plus the song "Joy" by Apollo 100 is just absolutely haunting at the massacre. This is going to sound crazy but the visual image of the massacre & the song playing in the background gave me nightmares.

Powerfull, IMO, or maybe I'm just weak.

Either way let me know about going to see this film or just waiting.
    See it. Here's what I said on the previous page:

Speilberg is known for grand gestures. He can't help himself. As I've said before, he's like the Wizard of Oz pulling the levers with the curtains pulled back for all to see. I tend to appreciate directors who show more restraint. Although I think he showed a lot of restraint with Munich, which may be the best film he has ever done. It may not quite attain masterpiece status on its own, but it could very well be Spielbergís masterpiece.

I saw "Brokeback Mountain" today.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I saw "Brokeback Mountain" today.
    And...?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    And...?

Sorry, I didn't have time to post much about it.

"Brokeback Mountain" is a very good movie. The acting is first rate, cinematography was great, it draws you into the story and you do really care about the characters. It was subtle and did not overtly promote tyhe homosexual agenda.

I realize the subject matter will turn many people off and cause them not to even consider going to see it. But it is worth seeing, and in many ways the message of the movie is universal to anyones situation.

But there are some sex scenes, some homosexual sex scenes.

I'm curious about a scene late in the movie that you could interpret two ways. In fact I did not even consider interpreting it another way untiol I read a review of the movie. I'll be interested in what others think.

Harmonica

I'm curious about a scene late in the movie that you could interpret two ways. In fact I did not even consider interpreting it another way until I read a review of the movie. I'll be interested in what others think.
    What scene?

What scene?

Have you seen the movie.

There are probably 3 or 4 crucial scenes and this is one of them. But I can't describe it in much detail without giving away something crucial. But it is when Enis is talking to Jack's wife on the phone. The only time those two have ever spoken. While those two are talking they show a scene, a flashback, but are we seeing what really happened, or how Ennis sees it in his imagination? .

I thought it was just a flashback as to what really happened, but it could be the other. Likely they wanted to leave it open to interpretation

Harmonica

Have you seen the movie.

There are probably 3 or 4 crucial scenes and this is one of them. But I can't describe it in much detail without giving away something crucial. But it is when Enis is talking to Jack's wife on the phone. The only time those two have ever spoken. While those two are talking they show a scene, a flashback, but are we seeing what really happened, or how Ennis sees it in his imagination? .

I thought it was just a flashback as to what really happened, but it could be the other. Likely they wanted to leave it open to interpretation
    I have seen it. I thought it was a flashback to what actually happened. But that's an interesting way to look at it, considering it was exactly the same thing that Ennis saw that happened to a gay man when he was a kid.

I have seen it. I thought it was flashback to what actually happened. But that's an interesting way to look at it, considering it was exactly the same thing that Ennis saw that happened to a gay man when he was a kid.

Well I agree with you. But I read the other possibility in Roger Ebert's review.

What did you think of the movie overall.

Harmonica

Well I agree with you. But I read the other possibility in Roger Ebert's review.

What did you think of the movie overall.
    I liked it. I wasn't blown away by it, but the story was handled in a sensitive and compelling manner and I was always engaged. Ang Lee directs with a lot of restraint, which I like, especially in The Ice Storm, which to me is an amazing film. Heath Ledger's performance was the best thing about the movie, in my opinion. A friend of mine who saw it at the Toronto Film Festival told me that the producer James Schamus spoke before the screening and said Ledger had practiced for weeks to not move his upper lip when he spoke.

Crash

A better title might be "Coincidence".... but then that's part of its charm I guess.

Well, I liked it but I can't say I get some of the heaps of praise thrown on it here.

But in it's defense I probably would've appreciated it more if I would've stumbled across it without knowing about it. IOW, I think my expectations were probably a little too high.

Still, it's a good movie and I'd certainly recommend it.

And for Hicks.... I watched it on my 53" widescreen

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

28 Days Later

It was my second time watching it but it was the first time I actually caught the very beginning...

----- WARNING -----

I still really like it because the most dangerous thing in the world is still mans' self gratification...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

The thing about Crash is, the coincidences never bothered me. When they happen, I take it to mean these events happened, and BECAUSE they ran into each other, they are now the main characters, not the other way around, if that makes any sense to anyone besides me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    The thing about Crash is, the coincidences never bothered me. When they happen, I take it to mean these events happened, and BECAUSE they ran into each other, they are now the main characters, not the other way around, if that makes any sense to anyone besides me.

That does make sense

Harmonica

Not really. But to address your earlier post about Pulp Fiction and coincidences, like I said, I take into consideration what a film's aspirations are. Crash, for example, aspires to be a serious drama about race relations. And when it comes to serious dramas, I have a very low tolderance for too many false notes and contrivances, which the myriad coincidences in Crash felt like to me. But I'm probably less forgiving than the average movie goer when it comes to things like that. Again, I liked Crash, but there were too many false notes for me to love it.

Pulp Fiction, on the other hand, aspires to be, well, a pure pulp crime story. It doesn't aspire to be a real-life/serious crime drama. And certain genres predispose one to suspend their disbelief more than others. Plus, had you seen Reservoir Dogs before you saw Pulp Fiction, you kind of half-knew what you were in for.

Got an unexpected surprise today. I went to return a movie and I had a free rental coming. I grabbed "Monster", with Charlize Theron. Can't wait to see it after Ebert was so moved by it. I'm hoping to talk my wife into watching it tonight, but we were already planning to watch "Trekkies", which I've already watched once, but want her to experience the hilarity.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Captain Blood 1935 Errol Flynn
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    Got an unexpected surprise today. I went to return a movie and I had a free rental coming. I grabbed "Monster", with Charlize Theron. Can't wait to see it after Ebert was so moved by it. I'm hoping to talk my wife into watching it tonight, but we were already planning to watch "Trekkies", which I've already watched once, but want her to experience the hilarity.

Trekkies is awesome.

Nerd.
    Mood

"2001: Space Odyssey"

- Excellent. Probably my favorite Kubrick film.

"The Devil's Rejects"

- Very good. I liked it better than House of 1000 Corpses. I enjoyed the ending with Freebird.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

"Maria. Full of Grace". Pretty heavystuff, but I liked it.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Harmonica

Annie Hall, to bring in the new year. And The Passion of Joan of Arc earlier in the day. All that talk with Bball about it made me want to see it again.

Serenity, finally. Not sure why they felt the need to *removed because some who read this thread are watching it later*, but I still liked it quite a bit. But anyone that says it can be fully appreciated without seeing the series is full of it. Watched it with a friend of mine who had seen about four or five episodes and he was left confused a few too many times.

Also, Stealth. Meh.

IndyToad
    Revoking your dude membership

Earlier, I made the comment that its hard to go wrong with a movie with Jimmy Stewart in it. Welllllllll.... on one of the HD channels, Airport 77 came on the other night (Universal, HDNet, or HDNet Movies (probably HDNet Movies)) and, lo and behold, Jimmy Stewart was in it. Not that I actually sat down and watched Airport '77 in its entirety but apparently it paid well enough to entice Jack Lemmon and Jimmy Stewart to lend their talents to it.

This was made during the "Disaster flick" era when Hollywood was enthralled with people being put in peril. Each movie a little sillier in one way or another than the one before it.

We had:
    Earthquake
    The Towering Inferno
    Posiedon Adventure
    Airport
    Airport 75

...and Airport 77

I'm sure there were others... but fortunately... I can't remember them.

I'm sure at some point I've seen Airport 77 in its entirety altho watching 15-20 mins of it the other morning didn't bring back any memories. Altho I can tell you the plot involved a heist, a plan gone awry, and the jet crashlanding in the Bermuda triangle... AND then an underwater rescue (the plane survived its water landing and was submerged). Some plane, huh?

Oh well... I didn't even get that far before bailing on the movie and leaving it on in the background. I just wanted to retract my statement about "You can't go wrong when Jimmy Stewart is in a movie".

Note: Hmmmm Did George Kennedy star in every disaster flick???

-Bball "Awaiting someone to tell me I turned away from the best disaster flick of the all"

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Were there snakes on a plane?

Were there snakes on a plane?
    I don't want to spoil the movie....
    Maybe Samuel L Jackson saw this one and thought "I wonder......."

Airport '77

Director: Jerry Jameson

Stars: Jack Lemmon, Brenda Vaccaro, Lee Grant, Darren McGavin, Olivia De Havilland, Joseph Cotten, James Stewart, Christopher Lee, George Kennedy, Robert Foxworth, Robert Hooks, Monte Markham, James Booth, Gil Gerard, M. Emmet Walsh, Michael Pataki

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Earlier, I made the comment that its hard to go wrong with a movie with Jimmy Stewart in it. Welllllllll.... on one of the HD channels, Airport 77 came on the other night (Universal, HDNet, or HDNet Movies (probably HDNet Movies)) and, lo and behold, Jimmy Stewart was in it. Not that I actually sat down and watched Airport '77 in its entirety but apparently it paid well enough to entice Jack Lemmon and Jimmy Stewart to lend their talents to it.

This was made during the "Disaster flick" era when Hollywood was enthralled with people being put in peril. Each movie a little sillier in one way or another than the one before it.

We had:
    Earthquake
    The Towering Inferno
    Posiedon Adventure
    Airport
    Airport 75

...and Airport 77

I'm sure there were others... but fortunately... I can't remember them.

I'm sure at some point I've seen Airport 77 in its entirety altho watching 15-20 mins of it the other morning didn't bring back any memories. Altho I can tell you the plot involved a heist, a plan gone awry, and the jet crashlanding in the Bermuda triangle... AND then an underwater rescue (the plane survived its water landing and was submerged). Some plane, huh?

Oh well... I didn't even get that far before bailing on the movie and leaving it on in the background. I just wanted to retract my statement about "You can't go wrong when Jimmy Stewart is in a movie".

Note: Hmmmm Did George Kennedy star in every disaster flick???

-Bball "Awaiting someone to tell me I turned away from the best disaster flick of the all"

I was a huge disaster movie fan. I loved all those. In fact the first real movie I saw in the movie theater was "Towering Inferno" I was maybe 8 years old, I think, but I loved that movie.

yes George kennedy was in every disaster movie. But I saw them all, but Towering Inferno was by far the best. I think it was nominated foir Best picture that year and was nominated for several other awards.

I saw Towering Inferno again a few years ago, and sure the special effect are cheesy, and I didn't like it as much as when I was 8 years old, but it is still a good movie. What is better than seeing O.J. Simpson save a cat.