Page 50 of 340 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 8500

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

JamesR

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Funny in a goofy way. Now I need to find the book.

Anger Management

stewie griffin untold story

i was kinda disappointed
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Just watched Crash. Phew!! GREAT movie. I think you have to be a little forgiving with some of the coincidences, because ultimately, it's worth it. The first 20 minutes might make you a bit uncomfortable, but stick with it. I think you'll be well rewarded. Definitely one of the top 5 movies I've seen this year. It's been a while since I've been this excited about a movie.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watched Crash. Phew!! GREAT movie. I think you have to be a little forgiving with some of the coincidences, because ultimately, it's worth it. The first 20 minutes might make you a bit uncomfortable, but stick with it. I think you'll be well rewarded. Definitely one of the top 5 movies I've seen this year. It's been a while since I've been this excited about a movie.
    That's one in my library that I've yet to watch... Maybe I need to move that one up the list.

So far, I think Downfall has been the movie I enjoyed the most this year. I have some free time and so I'm going to try and squeeze a few titles in before the end of the year so that is subject to change.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

I bought Crash blind on DVD and did not regret it at all.

Harmonica

Not a purchase-worthy flick, in my opinion, but then, neither are half the DVDs I purchase.

I watched Crash, I'm not sure I got it. Whatever the point was went over my head I think. Can't remember much of it now though.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Harmonica

Munich. As I said earlier, Speilberg usually lets me down, and this time he didn't. I wasn't blown away by this film, but Speilberg did show more restraint than usual. I told myself going in to try and block out John Williams' score, as he tends to be heavy-handed, but I found myself tuning in and not being put off by it. At times, it felt like a 70s film; I just wish he could have sustained that the entire time. There were really only a couple of missteps, but they were pretty forgivable and easy to get past. 8/10.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Sin City. I love it, many don't.

It also has some of the strangest special features I've ever seen. Like a pointless all green-screen version, another twenty minute clip when they just kept the camera rolling while different people from the crew go in and out of frame, a "how to make breakfast tacos" cooking show with the director, and worst of all: concert footage of Bruce Willis and the Accelerators playing some "blues" song.

I should burn the DVD in effigy for inficting that much pain. Why lord, why?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Sin City. I love it, many don't.

It also has some of the strangest special features I've ever seen. Like a pointless all green-screen version, another twenty minute clip when they just kept the camera rolling while different people from the crew go in and out of frame, a "how to make breakfast tacos" cooking show with the director, and worst of all: concert footage of Bruce Willis and the Accelerators playing some "blues" song.

I should burn the DVD in effigy for inficting that much pain. Why lord, why?
    People own the DVDs they deserve.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    People own the DVDs they deserve.
    I got you Gigli for Christmas.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    I got you Gigli for Christmas.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    That's one in my library that I've yet to watch... Maybe I need to move that one up the list.

-Bball
    Go. Watch. It. NOW.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Syriana. Suffered from a severe case of "Wait, who's that guy? Why is he so important?" syndrome. Too many people that looked similar and were poorly identified. I guess that's how you know it's a political thriller.

Grave of the Fireflies. Very good movie. A view of WW2 from an angle you don't usually see.

Fun with Dick and Jane. Decent. Had a few laughs here and there, but nothing particularly notable.

Ended up missing my chance to see Serenity at a big screen, as the cheap theaters had it for a grand total of two weeks. And when I did go to see it, the projector was broken. Jerks. I guess I'll go buy it then...

IndyToad
    A Cookoo

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Salo and Canniball Holocaust.

Just kidding.

Seriously,

Polar Express.

- Loved it. I thought it was a very good Christmas movie.

Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas

- I love this movie as well. A Christmas classic.

A Christmas Carol

- George C. Scott's version is my favorite, with the Patrick Stewart version my second.

It Came Upon the Midnight Clear

- A hokey, yet very nice story. Mickey Rooney is very good.

Harmonica

Munich. As I said earlier, Speilberg usually lets me down, and this time he didn't. I wasn't blown away by this film, but Speilberg did show more restraint than usual. I told myself going in to try and block out John Williams' score, as he tends to be heavy-handed, but I found myself tuning in and not being put off by it. At times, it felt like a 70s film; I just wish he could have sustained that the entire time. There were really only a couple of missteps, but they were pretty forgivable and easy to get past. 8/10.
    Okay, I've given this a little more thought. Two minor missteps and one big one. I thought the first 20+ minutes of Saving Private Ryan were brilliantly conceived and executed. Simply harrowing to watch. Well, in Munich, Speilberg recreates the '72 Olympic hostage situation and films it in grisly detail, except he shows us the first minutes or so to open the film and then sprinkles the rest of it throughout in flashback. It would have been much, much more powerful to have let it play out uninterrupted. I know why he did it the way he did, because he's trying to show his lead character's motivation and moral struggle, but it wasn't necessary and thinking about it a little more, rather heavy handed.

Okay, I've given this a little more thought. Two minor missteps and one big one. I thought the first 20+ minutes of Saving Private Ryan were brilliantly conceived and executed. Simply harrowing to watch. Well, in Munich, Speilberg recreates the '72 Olympic hostage situation and films it in grisly detail, except he shows us the first minutes or so to open the film and then sprinkles the rest of it throughout in flashback. It would have been much, much more powerful to have let it play out uninterrupted. I know why he did it the way he did, because he's trying to show his lead character's motivation and moral struggle, but it wasn't necessary and thinking about it a little more, rather heavy handed.
    Okay, I'm going to take a little issue with you. Granted, I haven't seen Munich, yet, but I think you have an old bias against Spielberg and it may affect your impression of a movie. Maybe? Just from your description, sounds like Speilberg may have made a small concession to make the film a little more accessable so as to reach a broader audience.

For me, Michael Bay is heavy-handed. I quit thinking of Speilberg as "heavy-handed" after Schindler's list (Which DID have one manipulative scene, I admit. The one where he's lamenting not being able to do enough was a bit much, but a mere blip in a near perfect movie.)

Yeah, he's mainstream, (hence you're problem with Private Ryan?) and I suspect you wish he'd go more avant guard? Do you think he's misdirected with his talent? Personally, I think his growth as a director has been unbelievable.

I curious. How do you feel about Spielberg?

(I'll tell ya my take on him. When he stays away from intentionally heartstring plucking material he's great. I compare him to Kevin Costner. When Costner isn't putting himself in apocolyptic films, his charm is palpable.)
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Zesty

I must be the only person who thinks Crash was overrated. It was better than average, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as everyone else seems to think. Parts of it seem really forced to me.

I watched The Godfather yesterday for the first time ever. Great movie. Not necessarily in my top ten, but I really enjoyed it and would like to watch it again soon to see if I missed anything.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    I must be the only person who thinks Crash was overrated. It was better than average, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as everyone else seems to think. Parts of it seem really forced to me.
    Yep. I liked it, but there were just too many coincidences for my taste. Definitely overrated, in my opinion. But still, better than the typical Hollywood effort.

Mood

Yep. I liked it, but there were just too many coincidences for my taste. Definitely overrated, in my opinion. But still, better than the typical Hollywood effort.
    What about Pulp Fiction?

Harmonica

Okay, I'm going to take a little issue with you. Granted, I haven't seen Munich, yet, but I think you have an old bias against Spielberg and it may affect your impression of a movie. Maybe? Just from your description, sounds like Speilberg may have made a small concession to make the film a little more accessable so as to reach a broader audience.
    Did you see what I initially wrote about Munich? It was a two-part review. And I don't have a bias towards Speilberg, per se, but more toward his approach to his material.

For me, Michael Bay is heavy-handed. I quit thinking of Speilberg as "heavy-handed" after Schindler's list (Which DID have one manipulative scene, I admit. The one where he's lamenting not being able to do enough was a bit much, but a mere blip in a near perfect movie.)
    The little girl's pink-tinted dress was manipulative and heavy-handed. "Wait, in case you didn't see that..." I liked Schindler's List, but there's a reason why Speilberg doesn't appear in top 10 lists among other directors.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/...directors.html

Yeah, he's mainstream, (hence you're problem with Private Ryan?) and I suspect you wish he'd go more avant guard? Do you think he's misdirected with his talent? Personally, I think his growth as a director has been unbelievable.
    My problem with Saving Private Ryan has nothing to do with the fact that it's mainstream. I didn't care for the story (after the first 20 minutes), and again, Speilberg's overall approach to the material.

I'm curious. How do you feel about Spielberg?
    Speilberg is known for grand gestures. He can't help himself. As I've said before, he's like the Wizard of Oz pulling the levers with the curtains pulled back for all to see. I tend to appreciate directors who show more restraint. Although I think he showed a lot of restraint with Munich, which may be the best film he has ever done. It may not quite attain masterpiece status on its own, but it could very well be Spielberg’s masterpiece.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    What about Pulp Fiction?
    You have to take into consideration what a film's aspirations are. I take it you're talking about coincidences.

Mood

Yes

I'm very interested in seeing Munich. Is it worth my time or should I wait till DVD?

BTW, if you are interested in the whole ordeal may I suggest you watch "one day in September" a documentry about the entire event.

Gives the best min. by min. analysis that I have ever seen.

Plus the song "Joy" by Apollo 100 is just absolutely haunting at the massacre. This is going to sound crazy but the visual image of the massacre & the song playing in the background gave me nightmares.

Powerfull, IMO, or maybe I'm just weak.

Either way let me know about going to see this film or just waiting.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13