Page 324 of 340 FirstFirst ... 224274314320321322323324325326327328334 ... LastLast
Results 8,076 to 8,100 of 8494

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just got back from watching Pacific Rim.

-An odd attempt to blend Japanese monster/robot pop culture with American mega-movie budgets. As a big anime fan, I noted some very obvious references/tributes.

-The actors are (for the most part) good, the script is rather generic and the comedy bits don't work very well. That said, if you purchased a ticket to watch this movie for any of those things, slap yourself repeatedly.

-The action absolutely works. It looks gorgeous, sounds gorgeous. I saw it on regular 3D, but would consider watching it again on IMAX. There were some elements of the movie that frustrated me a bit, but they totally nailed what they needed to get right.

-This is an excellent summer popcorn action flick. This is giant monsters fighting giant robots, as well as it has ever been done. Well worth the price of admission.
    I plan on taking my nephews Sunday to see this.

I have wondered since the very first time I saw an advertisement for this if some of this wasn't also taken from an old movie that I used to watch in the early 90's called Robot Jox. It didn't have the creatures but man there are some similarities about how the man and machine hook up.

Here is a trailer for that movie, yes the acting is as bad as it appears here and it is definitely from that good old late 80's early 90's hair band era.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    World War Z

I was surprised. It was a very good action movie. Fortunately, I went in knowing it was like the book in name only. If I went in expecting the story(s) in the book, I think I would have been fairly disappointed.
    Saw this last night. I was very shocked when I saw that J. Michael Straczynski was a writer for this film, which gave me far higher hopes than I ever had going into the movie.

It was entertaining but nothing really special. In fact I really don't understand why they felt the need to give us the family story at all. It would have worked just as well and IMO better had Pitt just worked for the CDC/UN/WHO or whoever else they wanted to have him work for. The family thing just seemed like a needless distraction. I really don't get what they were trying to do with the girl with asthma, it almost seemed like that was a bigger story but was then cut during editing.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

This is about the third or fourth time I have brought up The Conjuring(July 19) but I noticed it has a 7.7 on IMDB and around a 90% on RT. Pretty rare ratings for a horror movie. I'm cautiously optimistic but it's hard not to get excited when you read reviews like this one. The guy says he's never been scared by a movie before until now:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/07/12...-be-too-scary/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

RWB

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This is about the third or fourth time I have brought up The Conjuring(July 19) but I noticed it has a 7.7 on IMDB and around a 90% on RT. Pretty rare ratings for a horror movie. I'm cautiously optimistic but it's hard not to get excited when you read reviews like this one. The guy says he's never been scared by a movie before until now:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/07/12...-be-too-scary/
    Funny that James Wan has The Conjuring and Insidious Chapter 2 coming out in July and September, respectively. There's cornering the horror market, and then there's THAT release schedule!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Funny that James Wan has The Conjuring and Insidious Chapter 2 coming out in July and September, respectively. There's cornering the horror market, and then there's THAT release schedule!
    I think the Conjuring was supposed to come out earlier but they moved it back to the summer season because of the record breaking test scores. Wan might not be doing horror for a while now. I think he wants to break out to other genres. He's already signed on to do the next Fast And Furious movie. Don't know if I care for that. Are the other Fast and Furious movies good? I'm not a big action/explosion movie person.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Just got back from watching Pacific Rim.

-The actors are (for the most part) good, the script is rather generic and the comedy bits don't work very well.
    -This is an excellent summer popcorn action flick. This is giant monsters fighting giant robots, as well as it has ever been done. Well worth the price of admission.
    I don't know much about anime, but you nailed it with these points. Go see this movie. Take your sons/daughters, neices/nephews (whatever). It's a lot of fun! I saw Lance Stephenson at the theatre! He was using the urinal next to me. No joke. I didn't comment on his watch while we were using it though.

Pacific Rim

Needed more badass Robot vs Kaiju fighting. Loved it though, save for the ending. It was awfully close to the horrible Oblivion ending and Independence Day.

Seems it had disappointing box office numbers for the US. Would love a sequel so we can learn more about the enemy.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Olympus Has Fallen: Not bad for a mindless action flick. Definitely a summer popcorn movie. Had some cringe-worthy CGI in certain parts though. The Washington Monument getting destroyed looked almost cartoonish.

Rewatched Mothman Prophecies with Richard Gere. I have always loved this movie and still do.........wake up number 37.

Love the free movie channels like Crackle as it gives you an opportunity to check out low budget independent movies you would never rent on your own. So in that regard for those who have Crackle.... I highly recommend checking out the movie Big Fan.

The fictional story revolves around the ultimate NY Giants fan who gets beat up by his favorite player. The guy's whole world revolves the Giants and the extreme measures he will go to in support of his team.

Edit: I suck at trying to imbed stuff. Here is the trailer for those who might want to seek this movie out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wybmI_ezdAQ
    Last edited by RWB; 07-18-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

The Conjuring

I thought it was well done. I'm past the point where these movies scare me, so that wasn't really the point for me, but I still appreciate movies like this when I think they're well made.

Other than IMO some needless music/score that usually just distracted from the moments for me, I think they did a good job. A couple times I did get goosebumps, now that I think about it.

I don't know how much was made up by the movie and how much was alleged by the real people involved, but no matter what you attribute it to I definitely wouldn't want to experience it with my family.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The Conjuring

I thought it was well done. I'm past the point where these movies scare me, so that wasn't really the point for me, but I still appreciate movies like this when I think they're well made.

Other than IMO some needless music/score that usually just distracted from the moments for me, I think they did a good job. A couple times I did get goosebumps, now that I think about it.

I don't know how much was made up by the movie and how much was alleged by the real people involved, but no matter what you attribute it to I definitely wouldn't want to experience it with my family.

Thanks. I can't wait to see it. Would you call it a horror classic? I've seen reviews that call it the best horror film of the last 20 years. Personally, I find creepiness and building tension far more appealing than slasher or gore movies. The IMDB rating is now 8. Amazing. The rating seems to be rising the more people that see it.

Mood

Considering what you said was your favorite type of horror movie, I think you should like this one a lot.

I'll add too that it was nice to have characters that I didn't openly dislike in a horror movie for a change.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Conjuring.

Sold out theater.

Movie was well done. Great atmosphere and setting. Wasn't as "scary" as proclaimed but did alot right. Built tension well. I did feel the last act was a little rushed.

Watched "The Heat" in theaters last night. The plot was pretty flimsy and uninteresting. However, there were more laugh out loud (and hearty ones at that) moments in that movie than any I've seen recently. Paul Feig knows just to let Melissa McCarthey do her own thing and the laughs will just come on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    I did feel the last act was a little rushed.
    I felt that way about Insidious (Wan's last horror film) too, so wouldn't be surprised.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pacific Rim. Favorite movie so far this year.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Pacific rim was GREAT! I loved it. Butler was solid in Olympus has fallen. also love BIG FAN.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just got back from seeing "The Way, Way Back." Solid summer, kid learning about life for himself type of movie. Sam Rockwell was really genuine has my nom vote for best supporting actor so far this year. Steve Carell has almost always played a nice guy and it was refreshing to see him play a jerk. I highly recommend as a weekend matinee film.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to funnyguy1105 For This Useful Post:

Watched the "Evil Dead" remake last night. As a huge fan of the original trilogy, there were some things I liked, some I didn't. There were a few goosebump inducing moments. I'm still of the belief it shouldn't have been remade, but they could have done worse.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    Pacific Rim. Favorite movie so far this year.
    I have to agree. I liked Iron Man 3, but this was just a wild ride. Saw it in 2D and did not regret the choice.

Lots of good movies yet to see. Looking forward to seeing The Conjuring while its still in the theaters, then Wolverine and Elysium. It's been a good summer for the type of movies I enjoy.

Mud with Matthew McConaughey and Reese Witherspoon. An instant classic. The modern day Stand By Me. It has a super high rating on IMDB with a lot of posters on there saying it could pull an Argo and win some awards. Beautiful shots of the Mississippi river throughout the picture. Highly recommended.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Anyone see The Wolverine yet? I wonder if it's good.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Watched "The Wolverine" over the weekend - it was 100X better than the Origins movie.

The ending was a bit of a letdown compared to the rest of the movie but still worth a watch if you're a fan of X-Men/etc

29. The Following User Says Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm hoping to catch the Wolverine movie sometime this week.

I had low expectations for it up until recently, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear positive buzz and reviews recently.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: