Page 322 of 340 FirstFirst ... 222272312318319320321322323324325326332 ... LastLast
Results 8,026 to 8,050 of 8499

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Finally saw Iron Man 3 tonight. My wife and I enjoyed it. It was entertaining and moved the story line along until the next Avengers movie. Saw the preview for the new Thor movie and decided we need to get around to watching the first one.

I guess i have enjoyed the Iron Man/Avengers/Captain America movies more than the Batman ones (recent incarnation) because they are less serious and dramatic in the approach. I guess they call that escapism. The funny thing is, when it came to the comics, when i was growing up any way, the two companies seem to be viewed in just the opposite way, with Marvel having the more seriously driven story lines with DC being the less serious bunch. Batman has always been different in his make up and approach, but it always seemed because he was the only, besides Green Arrow, member of the Justice League without super powers. He left the JLA in one continuum because they refused to get dirty and involved in conflicts such as wars.

On the note of Marvel movies, The X-Men movies seem to be more seriously driven, at least the new Wolverine movie looks to be more in the Batman mode, but it was just previews. I vaguely remember the arc with him going to Japan, as the movie shows, but this may be nothing to do with what happened in the comics. That there are two sets of timelines in the movies for that group makes the whole thing a little confusing to say the least. Also, are they part of the Avengers movie universe or not? Obviously the failed Fantastic Four franchise was not considering who is now Captain America. But then again, things took place in the comics where it would make sense for other heroes to be involved but they never were around. Oh the beauty of the comic/movie world!

I guess the pros and cons of comic book based movies could be a different discussion all together.
    No they are not considered part of the same universe because Marvel actually does not own the movie rights for the X-Men (or Spiderman for that matter). So you will never see a crossover of Hulk vs Wolverine which would be a really cool film.

As to the Batman thing, I've said it before & I'll say it again. All of these modern day fans of Batman need to get down on their knees and thank God for a guy by the name of Frank Miller. He single handily remade Batman into the character he is today when he wrote the mini series Batman:The Dark Knight. The irony of that is that his Batman wasn't even set in the DC universe and was really more of a futuristic "what if" story.

But it certainly made Batman go from campy and fun to the dark brooding story's you see to this very day. I don't know if any one comic book series has ever impacted the entire comic book industry for a longer time than those books did. It was published in 1986 and almost 30 years later the tone and setting for that Gotham are still in effect today.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    World War Z was really good
    Saw it last night was intense... My GF who hates zombie movies loved it

I watched "The Hurricane" last night, thought it was really good

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    No they are not considered part of the same universe because Marvel actually does not own the movie rights for the X-Men (or Spiderman for that matter). So you will never see a crossover of Hulk vs Wolverine which would be a really cool film.

As to the Batman thing, I've said it before & I'll say it again. All of these modern day fans of Batman need to get down on their knees and thank God for a guy by the name of Frank Miller. He single handily remade Batman into the character he is today when he wrote the mini series Batman:The Dark Knight. The irony of that is that his Batman wasn't even set in the DC universe and was really more of a futuristic "what if" story.

But it certainly made Batman go from campy and fun to the dark brooding story's you see to this very day. I don't know if any one comic book series has ever impacted the entire comic book industry for a longer time than those books did. It was published in 1986 and almost 30 years later the tone and setting for that Gotham are still in effect today.
    Yes the current movie Batman is definitely the Miller version and definitely not the Super Friends one. Even Iron Man in the movies is more gritty than the comic book version in he had no qualms with killing all of the "bad guys" where that might have been frowned upon in a genre once geared towards children. They are what they are, and no one that grew up with these characters will ever be completely happy with how they are painted by a new artist. I do think trying to revolve each of the Avengers' individual stories around the hub of the team's movies will be a challenge going forward. Could be a reason Iron Man stayed away from New York in the latest one and it looks like the next Thor movie is set in his homeland, not Earth.

Rosemary's Baby.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

FWIW I'm a big fan of all of the Marvel Studios movies, but I think I liked Dredd better than any of them. Now that was a fantastic comic book movie.

Last edited by spreedom; 06-25-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Dark Knight Returns was the first comic book I ever read. I remember seeing a stack of comic books in one of my teacher's rooms in high school and laughing at him. I was a very typical high schooler that tries to belittle whatever is not in their own world. He immediately walked over and grabbed his copy of the dark knight returns, handed it to me, and told me if I read that story cover to cover and still found comics absurd I was allowed to say whatever I wanted to him.

I devoured every word of that story twice that night. I still get goosebumps at the end when Alfred dies over Bruce Wayne's grave. I thought that same thing was going to happen at the end of TDKR as Michael Caine was standing over Bruce's grave and was disappointed when it did not. I owe a lot to the Frank Miller Comics because they got me to read and appreciate a whole other medium of art.

Quote Originally Posted by funnyguy1105 View Post
    The Dark Knight Returns was the first comic book I ever read. I remember seeing a stack of comic books in one of my teacher's rooms in high school and laughing at him. I was a very typical high schooler that tries to belittle whatever is not in their own world. He immediately walked over and grabbed his copy of the dark knight returns, handed it to me, and told me if I read that story cover to cover and still found comics absurd I was allowed to say whatever I wanted to him.

I devoured every word of that story twice that night. I still get goosebumps at the end when Alfred dies over Bruce Wayne's grave. I thought that same thing was going to happen at the end of TDKR as Michael Caine was standing over Bruce's grave and was disappointed when it did not. I owe a lot to the Frank Miller Comics because they got me to read and appreciate a whole other medium of art.
    Pick up any of the Frank Miller Daredevil comics from the early 80's. To this day it is still some of the absolute best story's in any medium. Issues #168 to #191 He both drew and wrote the early books by mid way of the run did less and less art to focus on writing.

Frank Miller is simply one of the best story tellers of our age.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Jaws- I hadn't sat down and watched it since I was a kid. I used to only care about the bloody attacks. Watching it now, I realize how well-done it actually is. I'm not good at putting a review into words, but it's definitely more of a "major movie" rather than just a horror movie (if that makes sense). "That's some bad hat, Harry." Didn't realize that's where it came from.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Jaws may very well be my favorite movie of all time.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

It's a great classic.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jaws did for music what Halloween did for angles and lighting.

And to this day, I'm absolutely terrified by deep water.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Jaws did for music what Halloween did for angles and lighting.

And to this day, I'm absolutely terrified by deep water.

Halloween's score isn't too shabby either. Sharks attack in shallow water too don't they?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Halloween's score isn't too shabby either. Sharks attack in shallow water too don't they?
    Are you trying to give me a panic attack?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Are you trying to give me a panic attack?
    Are you really that afraid of water? Is it just ocean water or swimming pools too?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Are you really that afraid of water? Is it just ocean water or swimming pools too?
    Not pools or water in general, but if it's deep enough that I can't see the bottom, I get really uncomfortable. I haven't been in the ocean since I was 5 or 6. Those damn late-80s Jaws marathons.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Not pools or water in general, but if it's deep enough that I can't see the bottom, I get really uncomfortable. I haven't been in the ocean since I was 5 or 6. Those damn late-80s Jaws marathons.
    I was in the ocean once on vacation floating on a raft device a couple hundred yards from shore and my imagination took over about what could be swimming around right below me. I didn't actually see anything but at that point I did paddle my way back to shore at a pretty fast clip

23. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

The Last Exorcism part 2. I really enjoyed the first one but this one has received major criticism and a bad score on IMDB so I went in a little reluctantly. Pleasantly surprised though. I liked it better than the first one. Entertaining and downright creepy.

Oz the Great and Powerfull.

I saw honestly what may be one of the worst films I have ever seen. Beautiful Creatures. My wife thought that this would be good to watch on bluray, it wasn't.

If you are given a choice of watching this film or fighting a lion, gear up and fight the lion, it's that bad.

Getting ready to re-watch Horrible Bosses. Jennifer Aniston being slutty is a reason to watch in itself.

I finally saw Iron Man 3. A lot of stuff blew up.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mud - excellent movie

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I saw honestly what may be one of the worst films I have ever seen. Beautiful Creatures. My wife thought that this would be good to watch on bluray, it wasn't.

If you are given a choice of watching this film or fighting a lion, gear up and fight the lion, it's that bad.
    The Peter Jackson one? I remember liking that one. And thinking that it was the only one of his movies evidently made by an adult.

Edit: As Hicks points out in the next page, the movie I'm thinking of is Heavenly Creatures. I'm an idiot.
    Last edited by AesopRockOn; 07-03-2013 at 03:16 AM. Reason: See last sentence of the edit.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sleepwalk With Me with Mike Birbiglia. Thought it was a really great, low key film.