Page 321 of 344 FirstFirst ... 221271311317318319320321322323324325331 ... LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,025 of 8591

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Banned

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Man of steel flying scene was pretty bad too, I thought I was watching Christopher Reeve at some point, didnt like the girl either, I was reading the reviews online and I'm glad I'm not the only one that hated the movie.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man of Still was ruined by all the mind-numbing action scenes towards the end. The first half was interesting because it actually told a story. I give it a C+
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man of steel flying scene was pretty bad too, I thought I was watching Christopher Reeve at some point, didnt like the girl either, I was reading the reviews online and I'm glad I'm not the only one that hated the movie.
    Yeah the flying looked a little weird to me... I like that Cavill added a sort of signature to the beginning, where he does a two-handed punch to get started, but the times that he was flying and smiling he looked really creepy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

I have yet to see the man of steel, I plan on it this week. But everything I have read as a complaint just goes further into what Denny O'Neil (he was the editor in chief of DC among other things) said about Superman years ago. He is the single hardest character to write for in all of comic books. It only goes even further I assume when it comes to writing him for movies as well.

He has that single problem that he is so powerful that to give him a physical equal will only ensure mindless violence and will often end up with him looking weaker than he really is. (see any episode of Justice League for reference as he was the only character who routinely got the crap beat out of him).

Conversely making him fight an intellectual foe borders between monotony and tedious. Thus why virtually ever single superman before this one often times was down right boring because while Lex Luthor works in Comic Books (I assume I never read DC) he just does not translate into the movies all that well. While Spacey did a better job IMO than Hackman they both still made him to, well someone described him as a used car salesman before and I think that is pretty apt. The Justice League cartoon did a good job of getting him but at the end of the day, believe it or not, one of the best Lex Luthors was actually in the early seasons of Smallville.

I guess if it has to be one or the other right now I think I will take a little to much action as opposed to not enough as every Superman has suffered from that very thing.

I just wish they would have had the guts to do Doomsday.

Also any updates on if the Justice League movie is still in the works or has that been scrapped?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - not the most realistic coming of age high school drama, but very effective anyway.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have not seen superman yet, but I believe the movies are taking comic books way too seriously these days. Then again, maybe comic books are taking themselves too serious as well. I remember, old man mode now, when humor was a part of almost every story. They were for kids after all. I guess since the audience has grown up the comics and movies had to as we'll. didn't mean to sidetrack the thread, but Pecks post to me thinking.

Mood

I liked the Nolan Batman films because they DID take it seriously, personally. And they did manage to inject a tad bit of humor into each film, though obviously just a minor amount. I think taking it seriously is a very cool approach, but that doesn't guarantee it's a good movie. I just think that's a great road to travel if you're trying to find emotional investment by means of strong characters, character growth, 'believable worlds' and theoretically more engaging plots.

But you can also do something campy like Kick-***, of course, which is another comic book movie I like.

I also liked the first two Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies, which are more of a mix between serious and humorous. Ditto for Iron Man.

That's one of the strengths of the source material: There's several different twists/spins to put on the same general material and still make a good flick.

Another example of course is the Tim Burton Batman movies. Those are quirkier and weird and more fantastic, but also well done and engaging in their own way.

I would also take a moment to praise (while not live-action, of course) the recent animated movie (well they split it into two pieces, but really it's one movie) The Dark Knight Returns that came out recently on home video. Highly recommended.

As much as I loved Batman Begins and the Dark Knight and to a lesser degree Rises, I'm also intrigued by the possibilities for new directions they can take the next generation/reboot of Batman. One I've thought about before is making a more personal / character-based set of stories that revolve around an extended 'Bat Family' (Batman, Robin, Batgirl and/or Oracle, Nightwing, and in their own ways of course Alfred and Jim Gordon; make even the first movie a story where all of the above or most of the above are already well-established; enough with the origin stories already!) and make it more about those internal relationships mixed with the villains representing direct threats to those people and/or playing them against one another.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Rob Zombie's Halloween: Just as bad and un-scary as I remember it. Why even mess with a masterpiece like the original is?

This is the end​. Hilarious
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

The Purge... if you're bored and have nothing better to do then purge yourself. Otherwise save the money and rent it on Redbox. For some reason they try to advertise this in the horror genre. Nothing scary, just a typical action movie.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (it was the only thing in the free preview of HBO last weekend that enticed me)

Book was better, but movie was better than the critics gave it credit for.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I'll be damned if I know.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also any updates on if the Justice League movie is still in the works or has that been scrapped?
    Oh, there's money to be made with the Justice League--probably big money. It's still in the works, and it's likely going to suck. I think they are aiming for a 2015 release there.

They are still trying to do it, but the MoS2 movie is probably going to come out first
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

I saw Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing tonight. I really enjoyed it, and there are some really fun and inspired interpretations to the play. It's a delight.

The only place it's playing in all the state right now is at the Keystone Arts Cinema. I'd go sooner than later if you want to see it in the theater, just in case.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to obnoxiousmodesty For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Man of Steel - I should probably start by saying I'm a Zach Snyder apologist/defender, so seeing the reviews didn't surprise me. He is the most sincere geek in any part of entertainment. Most other storytellers would make the Christ references in this movie a meta-joke, but Snyder is completely genuine in that he absolutely loves Jesus and Superman, so why can't he compare them?

The sci-fi/action genre (with outliers like Looper and District 9) has become all these hyper-structured $250 million colossi trying to please everyone in the world to a billion dollars, three sequels, and two tie-ins. With this one, Star Trek, and Iron Man, there just isn't much room for anything remotely interesting either thematically or story-wise.

They really are all the same, so all Snyder and Goyer, or Shane Black, or JJ Abrams and Lindeloff can do is inject small bits of their own personality. Snyder goes passionately sincere, Goyer exposits everything, Black goes for the post-modern sarcasm, JJ throws out lens flares like Ginobili throws errant passes, and Lindeloff shames beloved franchises. But that's like five percent of each movie. The rest is the lead up to a big, stupid, predictable mess of a $100 million action set piece before the heroes walk away fine having caused trillions of dollars of untold, consequence-less damage and dead people. I know the Internet is set up so that we can all have false arguments about what we love and what we hate, how wrong you are and how right I am.

But what's really happening is companies investing hundreds of millions to make billions on pretty ****** movies.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I liked Man of Steel. Not my favorite superhero movie ever, but it's definitely my favorite superman movie. He seemed much more relatable in this film than any of the others. I liked that he didn't have the power to dues ex machina every single problem and never have to get his hands dirty.

I hated that about the original films, save for II. All destruction gets fixed, superman never, ever causes any collateral damage, bad guy goes to jail safely, and if anybody by some miracle dies, just change the rotation of the earth and re-do it. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Yes, there was a lot of mindless violence. But you know what? I LIKED that. Finally, after decades, we get more than just a token scene or two with superman really taking the gloves off against an enemy. His biggest draw is his insane repertoire of powers, and yet he holds back in every film. I don't want every superman film to be like that, but dammit I wanted to see a legitimate no holds barred superman death match on the big screen at least once, and it was awesome.

Also, thrilled that we can have a movie where his biggest threat isn't a stupid inanimate green rock.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-22-2013 at 03:17 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I saw Man of Steel tonight. I saw in in IMAX 3D and to say the visuals for this movie were out of this world.

Look I've never lied to a single person, I'm a Marvel man through and through but as any respectable comic book person would do you have to recognize Superman for what he is. The first and arguably the greatest "superhero" comic person ever created.

That being said I can not tell you how thrilled I was to not be bored to death again with another rehashing of the coming of Superman to earth. They kind of did a back story about Krypton and his family but other than that everything else was in flash back scene's which I deeply appreciated.

I am a rare person apparently because I actually liked this movie. As I stated before Superman is just a ***** to do because if you don't give him some form of physical equal you end up with the boring *** movies that have come in the past where basically he ends up just doing physical challenges instead of actually battling someone. So I am more than content with the amount of action in this film. Was it over the top? Maybe but I didn't once feel like something was out of context of the moment. Also I don't get where everyone is complaining about the fights taking place in the city for, it's not like Superman chose those locations he was kind of deposited there and couldn't get away.

Also one of the things I am most thrilled about is the fact that they didn't do the entire stupid Lois can't figure out who superman is. They just introduce him to her as Superman and that works great for me.

As to the ending, first I wonder how many hours were spent at DC deciding whether or not they were going to let that happen. They have always been hesitant to allow either of the big two (Batman/Superman) to make that kind of a move.

I applaud them on this and think it was well within the context of the story, I could argue that maybe a little more/longer anguish over the action might have been in order but I'm okay with the way they did this.

I think I am going to move this into my top 5 of comic book movies, although I'll have to think about that for a min. but top 10 for sure and probably closer to 5.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen a normal movie in IMAX, needless to say I'm afraid it has ruined me for seeing movies in any other way.

Just read Kstat's review and his point was so spot on I want to repeat it. The fact that the villains in this movie were powerful enough to stand on their own was important and they did not over play the krypotnite, in fact it was never mentioned by name that I can recall. Made this movie so much more enjoyable.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah. Lois was the most well written character in the entire movie. They finally killed that plot hole.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

World War Z was really good

I was afraid going into the movie that it was going to be some hokey Independence Day type movie. But it certainly is not like that at all. (I never read the book it is based upon, so I had no idea).

Overall I enjoyed the movie more than Iron Man 3 or Star Trek. Have not seen Man of Steel
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-25-2013 at 09:31 AM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Getting close to the release of The Conjuring that I talked about a few pages back. So far the critic reviews are excellent. There has been a buzz about this horror film since it received record breaking test scores and was moved to the summer for blockbuster season. More of a buzz now that it is actually qualified for a PG rating but received and R just because of the scare factor. Have my hopes up as this is my fav genre but there are few real quality films released lately.

Mood

Monsters University. I enjoyed it.

This is the End

Hella funny.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Scott Pilgrim vs the world....fun movie

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Finally saw Iron Man 3 tonight. My wife and I enjoyed it. It was entertaining and moved the story line along until the next Avengers movie. Saw the preview for the new Thor movie and decided we need to get around to watching the first one.

I guess i have enjoyed the Iron Man/Avengers/Captain America movies more than the Batman ones (recent incarnation) because they are less serious and dramatic in the approach. I guess they call that escapism. The funny thing is, when it came to the comics, when i was growing up any way, the two companies seem to be viewed in just the opposite way, with Marvel having the more seriously driven story lines with DC being the less serious bunch. Batman has always been different in his make up and approach, but it always seemed because he was the only, besides Green Arrow, member of the Justice League without super powers. He left the JLA in one continuum because they refused to get dirty and involved in conflicts such as wars.

On the note of Marvel movies, The X-Men movies seem to be more seriously driven, at least the new Wolverine movie looks to be more in the Batman mode, but it was just previews. I vaguely remember the arc with him going to Japan, as the movie shows, but this may be nothing to do with what happened in the comics. That there are two sets of timelines in the movies for that group makes the whole thing a little confusing to say the least. Also, are they part of the Avengers movie universe or not? Obviously the failed Fantastic Four franchise was not considering who is now Captain America. But then again, things took place in the comics where it would make sense for other heroes to be involved but they never were around. Oh the beauty of the comic/movie world!

I guess the pros and cons of comic book based movies could be a different discussion all together.
    Last edited by SycamoreKen; 06-23-2013 at 01:22 AM. Reason: editing.