Page 320 of 346 FirstFirst ... 220270310316317318319320321322323324330 ... LastLast
Results 7,976 to 8,000 of 8640

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just saw Man of Steel. I never thought I would say this, but there was a bit too much action, and it got a bit tedious after a while. At times I wondered if I was actually watching the real live action Dragonball Z movie. Somewhere, Michael Bay is jealous right now.

While I'm glad that not too much time was spent on the origin (c'mon, who doesn't know Superman's origin?), I felt that some of the characters weren't developed well enough.

And there's something that happens near the end that is going to shock some hardcore Superman fans.

Don't get me wrong, it's worth a watch, and it's much better than Superman Returns, but I'll bet it really drags out upon subsequent viewings.

B-
    Shade, curious, but what did you Give Superman Returns?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Man of Steel will be the highest grossing film of 2013.

I will see it, but I must admit my tolorence level for super hero movies has been tapped out. No more

It will have to significantly exceed expectations for that to be possible. I thought it was going to as well, until Iron Man 3 had that monster opening weekend. But now, to predict that it will be the highest-grossing movie of the year is also saying that it will be one of the 5 highest-grossing movies ever. I don't think Superman has the box office caché to pull that off, even in 3D.

And I would like to say that I really wish that Singer would have gotten a chance to do a follow-up to Superman Returns. That is easily the best of the Superman movies so far (not including Man of Steel, which I haven't seen) and I think it got an unnecessarily bad rap from a lot of people, despite the fact that it made a ton of money and got very good reviews. But that obviously isn't going to happen.... just saying though. I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    It will have to significantly exceed expectations for that to be possible. I thought it was going to as well, until Iron Man 3 had that monster opening weekend. But now, to predict that it will be the highest-grossing movie of the year is also saying that it will be one of the 5 highest-grossing movies ever. I don't think Superman has the box office caché to pull that off, even in 3D.

And I would like to say that I really wish that Singer would have gotten a chance to do a follow-up to Superman Returns. That is easily the best of the Superman movies so far (not including Man of Steel, which I haven't seen) and I think it got an unnecessarily bad rap from a lot of people, despite the fact that it made a ton of money and got very good reviews. But that obviously isn't going to happen.... just saying though. I enjoyed it.
    Superman Returns was easily the WORST Superman movie. He gave Superman a kid and made Superman into a stalker. Spacey's Luther was a really bad too and the chick that played Lois obviously didn't get the memo that Lois actually has strength and isn't a pushover. Routh was too skinny too.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Superman Returns was easily the WORST Superman movie. He gave Superman a kid and made Superman into a stalker. Spacey's Luther was a really bad too and the chick that played Lois obviously didn't get the memo that Lois actually has strength and isn't a pushover. Routh was too skinny too.
    Spacey's Luthor was 100x better than Hackman's. Spacey actually seemed evil, while Hackman seemed like a used car salesman constantly trying to swindle people out of their lunch money. There really weren't many scenes where he was much more that comic relief, along with his stupid sidekick, whatever his name was. AND he wasn't even bald.

Superman: The Quest for Volcano Insurance Refunds

And honestly, none of Returns' flaws bother me nearly as much as Superman flying around the earth counterclockwise to go back in time, the terrible effects in Superman III or IV (they were done cheaply then and look even worse now) or the bad slapstick from Superman II. To me, the only good one of the four originals was Superman II: The Donner Cut, but that even features some incomplete scenes without effects. I know Returns is a pretty big punching bag, but I can't even watch any of the older ones anymore because they're so bad. I'm hoping Man of Steel lives up to its billing as the first great​ Superman movie.

I liked Superman Returns. Didn't realize until later I was apparently almost the only one.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    Shade, curious, but what did you Give Superman Returns?
    C-. I thought Spacey was excellent as Lex and Routh was a good homage to Reeves, but I didn't care for the kid and the movie was too slow. Almost exactly the opposite of MoS.

I thought Iron Man 3 was the worst of the IM movies, but is still better than MoS. I think a major reason for that is the humor, which is almost non-existant in MoS.

Still, Superman is far more iconic than Iron Man, so who knows how the box office will pan out.

Spacey's Luthor was 100x better than Hackman's. Spacey actually seemed evil, while Hackman seemed like a used car salesman constantly trying to swindle people out of their lunch money. There really weren't many scenes where he was much more that comic relief, along with his stupid sidekick, whatever his name was. AND he wasn't even bald.

Superman: The Quest for Volcano Insurance Refunds

And honestly, none of Returns' flaws bother me nearly as much as Superman flying around the earth counterclockwise to go back in time, the terrible effects in Superman III or IV (they were done cheaply then and look even worse now) or the bad slapstick from Superman II. To me, the only good one of the four originals was Superman II: The Donner Cut, but that even features some incomplete scenes without effects. I know Returns is a pretty big punching bag, but I can't even watch any of the older ones anymore because they're so bad. I'm hoping Man of Steel lives up to its billing as the first great​ Superman movie.
    To be fair to the original Superman films, the movies were made pre-Crisis, and the ability to fly around the globe and reverse time was very much in his skill set at the time (even though that particular ability really made no sense). The current Superman is far, far less powerful than the pre-Crisis one.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Just saw Man of Steel. I never thought I would say this, but there was a bit too much action, and it got a bit tedious after a while. At times I wondered if I was actually watching the real live action Dragonball Z movie. Somewhere, Michael Bay is jealous right now.

While I'm glad that not too much time was spent on the origin (c'mon, who doesn't know Superman's origin?), I felt that some of the characters weren't developed well enough.

And there's something that happens near the end that is going to shock some hardcore Superman fans.

Don't get me wrong, it's worth a watch, and it's much better than Superman Returns, but I'll bet it really drags out upon subsequent viewings.

B-
    Zack Snyder is a huge give-and-take director. His films are all gorgeously shot, action is stunning, pacing is often good (I've heard way too frenetic for Man of Steel though). But in almost all of his films, it feels like the characters merely exist to perform the actions, and be in the set pieces. Watchmen was probably the closest he got to fleshing characters out (and he did a damn admirable job considering the density of the source material!) but all of his films otherwise are just lacking in the areas which make you actually care about what happens to the characters.

The thing is, with superhero movies, Nolan just set an impossibly high bar. You're damned if you do try to imitate it and end up inevitably falling short, and damned if you go another way and deviate from the things that made the Batman trilogy so dynamic.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I liked Superman Returns. Didn't realize until later I was apparently almost the only one.
    I liked it to some extent even though parts were unnerving, but unfortunately it is the movie that ****ed up X-men 3...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

To be fair to the original Superman films, the movies were made pre-Crisis, and the ability to fly around the globe and reverse time was very much in his skill set at the time (even though that particular ability really made no sense). The current Superman is far, far less powerful than the pre-Crisis one.

That's fair... I still think it pretty much ruins the movie though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade;1671513[B
    ]I thought Iron Man 3 was the worst of the IM movies, but is still better than MoS.[/B] I think a major reason for that is the humor, which is almost non-existant in MoS.

Still, Superman is far more iconic than Iron Man, so who knows how the box office will pan out.

Yikes. I liked IM3 better than 2, but that's still making my chances of enjoying MOS pretty bleak. I'm seeing it tomorrow evening... I hope it surprises me.

Saw Man of Steel a little bit ago.

I liked it. It's lacking in character (development) and the plot could have a little more depth to it, and I would also say the pacing felt . . . atypcial. It didn't feel as much like it had a traditional act structure. It all just kind of happens.

The good news is, what actually does happen . . . is pretty good! I knew going in there would be tons of action, some have said too much, but I didn't really get tired of the action, so that was fine. What is there is well done, though nothing that made me too emotional or too invested, but I was definitely 'with it' and entertained, and I'm glad I went.

Should be interesting to see where they take the sequel, and for that matter what to call it.

If they had found a way to make me love the characters, I think they could have tapped into my emotions and really made me feel invested, but this really didn't do that for me, which is why I can't call it great, but merely good.

I guess I'd give it a B+.

Yikes. I liked IM3 better than 2, but that's still making my chances of enjoying MOS pretty bleak. I'm seeing it tomorrow evening... I hope it surprises me.
    It isn't a bad movie. But Superman purists will definitely find a number of nits to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Saw Man of Steel a little bit ago.

I liked it. It's lacking in character (development) and the plot could have a little more depth to it, and I would also say the pacing felt . . . atypcial. It didn't feel as much like it had a traditional act structure. It all just kind of happens.

The good news is, what actually does happen . . . is pretty good! I knew going in there would be tons of action, some have said too much, but I didn't really get tired of the action, so that was fine. What is there is well done, though nothing that made me too emotional or too invested, but I was definitely 'with it' and entertained, and I'm glad I went.

Should be interesting to see where they take the sequel, and for that matter what to call it.

If they had found a way to make me love the characters, I think they could have tapped into my emotions and really made me feel invested, but this really didn't do that for me, which is why I can't call it great, but merely good.

I guess I'd give it a B+.
    It's a very "summer blockbustery" movie. Entertaining for sure, but not much to get emotionally invested over.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Banned

Man of steel was pretty bad, first time I felt like leaving the movie theater in fact I didn't leave the movie theater because my girlfriend made me stay, too long, some of the special effects are like from the 80's, so disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Man of steel was pretty bad, first time I felt like leaving the movie theater in fact I didn't leave the movie theater because my girlfriend made me stay, too long, some of the special effects are like from the 80's, so disappointed.
    I'm not a fan of comic book movies period. I know that's not a popular opinion around here so I will say very little. Surprised your comment on special effects. One of my main complaints about today's movies is too much obvious CGI and too many explosions for the sake of explosions. They make serious money though so I see why they crank them out left and right.

Nerd.
    Mood

My 2.5 cents.

Really liked Man of Steel. All you nitpickers are just whining. This is a summer blockbuster movie. What else did you expect?

1. This ain't the Superman of old.
    2. CGI was fine. Loved the fights as well as the Krypton sequences.
    3. Cavill did a fine job.
    4. Don't whine about the un-Superman-ly act. He did what was needed. And his immediate reaction upon doing so? That's the important part.
    5. Thought the intertwining story line was great. I'm a sucker for stories from Smallville.
    6. As others mentioned previously, character development was not fleshed out. But one good thing is that we know who these characters are.
    7. It was like comic book Supes meets movie Supes meets animated series Supes.
    8. For me...Dark Knight > Man of Steel > Iron Man

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought the end dragged a bit too long as well, but the rest of it was pretty good in my book. I really enjoyed seeing Krypton and I thought the buildup to being Superman was pretty good. I thought character development was fine honestly.

And I love Hans Zimmer's score, just terrific.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Man of Steel was pretty good.

All that action, it was about damn time!!! Cavill is the new Superman. Really played the part superbly.

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm really torn on Man of Steel. I thought Cavill was great when he actually got to do something, but there was way too much mass destruction for the movie to have any gravity. Like Supes bent over backwards to save some of the soldiers in Smallville, yet he and Zod smashed through like 100 skyscrapers in Metropolis, seemingly killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process without a single ounce of sorrow or regret by any of the characters. They're still rebuilding the World Trade Center after 9/11... in Metropolis, they have decades upon decades of work to do. What is he supposed to defend in the sequel? He did a terrible job protecting Metropolis the first time around.

Snap take: Superman Returns was better. Superman had more defining characteristics, was a lot closer to the character I remember from the comics/cartoons as a kid, and jesus... compare the two scenes where Metropolis is under attack. Routh's Superman was in a frenzy trying to protect every single person, whereas Cavill's Superman was punching Zod through buildings like they were dominoes.

The visuals were spectacular, though, and I think this version of Superman is a much more natural foil for a cynical Batman that secretly has reservations about the amount of power Superman could use if he went sideways. I would love if the Man of Steel sequel was centered around Lex Luthor leading the relief efforts in helping to rebuild Metropolis and using the publicity against Superman. Could be a great angle, especially if they somehow wove Bruce Wayne into the mix. As many things as I didn't like about this movie, one thing I will say is that it really sets the table, potentially, for some compelling sequels and shared-universe movies.

I've seen some online speculation that the Metropolis destruction could potentially play into Man Of Steel 2 where Lex Luthor does a ton of rebuilding and whatnot and gets all sorts of goodwill and it leads to his rise. Then he could publicly paint Superman as something of a villain while he keeps his nefarious world domination plans a secret.

Y'know, or not at all.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Dare you not to laugh at that. Put these guys out to pasture already.

Yeah, the ending to Man of Steel seemed a bit strange. Supes rode his bike to work, and everything we saw, which wasn't much, seemed like the city was back in order. Wouldn't there still be chaos? Wouldn't there still be a lot of debris from falling buildings that people shouldn't breathe? I know it's not real, but I'm sure they wanted to ground it in reality as much as possible.

I still liked it 1000X's better than Superman Returns.

Now really free Lance!

I guess the destruction didn't bother me because:

A) This isn't a veteran Superman, this is literally his first time trying to be a hero, so he's clumsy and inconsiderate compared to what he will become. (The Superman in 'Returns' was a pro who had done that stuff many times before for years).

B) I assumed those buildings were evacuated because I thought not everyone was as stupid as the Daily Planet staff and just chilling out in a skyscraper within viewing distance of an alien ship drilling into the earth while its sister ship did the same on the other side of the world. AKA, most folks, I'd think would get the **** out of the immediate dodge long before that.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: