Page 306 of 346 FirstFirst ... 206256296302303304305306307308309310316 ... LastLast
Results 7,626 to 7,650 of 8647

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Finally saw the Hobbit tonight.

I know I'm not supposed to like it as much as the LOTR trilogy, but I do.

Peter Jackson may not be able to direct anything outside of this but in the world of Tolkien he is a God.
    My biggest complaint was the cave scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    My biggest complaint was the cave scene.
    With the goblins, Gollum, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    With the goblins, Gollum, or both?
    I'm assuming the goblins, because the Gollum scene was the best scene in the movie IMO.

The goblin scene was CGI/mo-cap heavy and some things in that were not very realistic. One thing that made LOTR special was that there were tons of people dressed up in orc/uruk-hai costumes rather than CGI heavy orcs.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I'm assuming the goblins, because the Gollum scene was the best scene in the movie IMO.

The goblin scene was CGI/mo-cap heavy and some things in that were not very realistic. One thing that made LOTR special was that there were tons of people dressed up in orc/uruk-hai costumes rather than CGI heavy orcs.
    I know what you are saying, but..."some things in that were not very realistic" and goblins/orcs, etc. in the same sentence? I kid. I kid.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Django Unchained - It's superbly entertaining, very funny, great to look at, and everyone is quite good, especially Waltz and Leo. By the end though, it had become nearly too much Tarantino. He's in every obscenity, blood splatter, and music drop of the movie. It's difficult not to enjoy and be entertained by DU, but when Quentin loves what's happening in the movie (meaning the whole movie), you know it. Strongly recommended.

Yeah, the laws of physics get abused in the goblin cave.

... LOL that almost reads like some kind of Internet meme, doesn't it?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    I know what you are saying, but..."some things in that were not very realistic" and goblins/orcs, etc. in the same sentence? I kid. I kid.
    Wait...are you saying goblins and orcs aren't real? I've heard many a people complain about their mother-in-laws and use these very names
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Watched 2 animated Superman movies

Superman vs the Elite - Beyond awful. The animation was terrible and should have been warning enough.

Superman All-Star (something like that) - Superman gets cancer and dies. The movie throws in some cameos that aren't needed at all. Better than the Elite, but man, can someone make a Superman movie that isn't garbage? Ugh!

Superman & Shazam vs the return of the Black Adom was pretty entertaining that I saw awhile back though.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Watched 2 animated Superman movies

Superman vs the Elite - Beyond awful. The animation was terrible and should have been warning enough.

Superman All-Star (something like that) - Superman gets cancer and dies. The movie throws in some cameos that aren't needed at all. Better than the Elite, but man, can someone make a Superman movie that isn't garbage? Ugh!

Superman & Shazam vs the return of the Black Adom was pretty entertaining that I saw awhile back though.
    Yeah, animated Superman has been pretty brutal since JLU ended.

BTW, The Dark Knight Returns was the best Batman movie of 2012. Did you have a chance to check it out?

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Yeah, animated Superman has been pretty brutal since JLU ended.

BTW, The Dark Knight Returns was the best Batman movie of 2012. Did you have a chance to check it out?
    Not yet. I did see that Batman: Year One is available to stream on Netflix. That was next to watch. I'll definitely check it out though.

Now really free Lance!

The Hobbit - it was ok. Felt just like another LOTR movies, but not nearly as good. It was harmless entertainment, but nothing more. Felt like not much was getting accomplished. Well made movie, and I suppose that is what made it entertaining. No desire to see the next one though

Neverending Story - still a fantastic movie

Casa de mi padre - got some laughs out of this. probably a movie you enjoy once, but won't have a desire to really see it again.

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Currently watching the Batman 1949 series. Just think Batman in Mayberry.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Went on movie marathon today.

Caddyshack
    Swordfish
    Kill Bill Vol. 2

DJango - I actually really liked this movie. Very funny but in a crude sort of way. The actors were all excellent, and a cameo made me happy. (That scene was hilarious.) There were definitely parts of that movie where I covered my eyes because it was a little graphic.

Les Mis - I thought I'd like this more than Django, but I didn't. It's a great story, and Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman were outstanding (especially Anne), and Helena Bonham Carter and Borat were perfect for their parts. But a few of the singing voices irritated me. I also think this movie would have been better with dialogue. That said, I'm hoping Anne gets a well deserved award for this. She was really fantastic in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Am I wrong for thinking that "Lincoln" is getting tremendous reviews in part because people are predisposed to thinking that a film done by one of the most famous directors ever about one of the most famous figures in our nation's history with a highly acclaimed actor playing him is automatically going to be great? I do think there are people out there who think it would be taboo to criticize a Speilberg movie with Daniel Day Lewis playing Abraham Lincoln. IE, how could any movie about an iconic American figure with so much star power be anything but fabulous?

Maybe I'm just searching for loony reasons to explain why I'm a tiny minority who didn't like the film......
    I haven't seen it yet, but this explains pretty well why I've felt so reluctant to see it. It just looks a little too self-important to stomach, and the very final scene of Schindler's List just really pissed me off in how pompous and self-important it felt, and I am deeply suspicious of any "grand projects" by Spielberg after that. I'm hoping to like it since I enjoy DDL, but I have a feeling it will be Spielberg all over the place. And I'm a total sucker for Lincoln so I hope I can just sit back and enjoy this like a fanboy.

It think it'd be correct to say that the marketing push behind the movie was very much of a pre-ordained greatness kind of thing. "You already know that this movie is legendary, it is inevitable, and you may as well accept it already." I feel that way about many movies with Oscar Bait promotions though.

---

Saw The Hobbit. Really liked it. I found this Bilbo to be more enjoyable a character than any of the LOTR movie characters. I could really feel his reluctance to leave the comfort of the shire. It felt real. I loved the "I do think often of Bag-End" after the goblin caves. Even in the LOTR books I always thought the "oh these silly hobbits long only for the simple comforts of home and would NEVER go on adventures!" thing was pretty contrived, a false attempt at eliciting emotion, but here it felt pretty real. Loved this Bilbo. I liked that the movie was lighter in tone at times. I haven't read or watched LOTR in quite some time, but I don't remember them as very light. Oh, and I love depictions of dragons where they really make you feel the immense sense of disaster that a dragon invasion would bring. Dragons, they are the best.

Saw Pitch Perfect. Man, I really liked this movie. Maybe that's goofy of me. Anna Kendrick is quickly becoming one of my favorite actresses. Her big old teeth are adorable, and I think she's pretty talented. She was great in 50/50 as well. I need to see Up In The Air sometime.

Saw The Dark Knight Rises again. Fun and great and all, but a second viewing just points out to me how much it pales in comparison to TDK. TDK is easily one of my favorite movies ever, and I nearly pee myself in joy just watching youtube clips of Ledger as the Joker. Whereas with this movie I found myself mentally groaning at the writing several times, I never really cared about Bane like I did the Joker, and the role of Catwoman--while played well--just didn't seem to have much of a point in the movie. And no Alfred! I know TDK had flaws, but I connect to that movie for so many sentimental reasons. Really I just wish Ledger hadn't died. "I think you and I are destined to do this forever." I would have watched them do it forever.

Saw Ted. Forgettable. I expected more out of a McFarlane thing.

Saw The Words. WTF was this? Dennis Quaid, man, I just don't even know.

Saw Ides of March again. I would watch as PSH watched somebody else who was watching paint dry. I don't even care about the rest of the movie anymore, I instantly love it if PSH is in it. *****.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I guess I'm in the tiny minority, but I was unimpressed with "Lincoln". I like U.S. and Presidential history, so I was expecting to be entertained. But I wasn't. Spielberg had been wanting to do a movie on Lincoln for years and I was expecting something greater. Why did they devote the entire film to the arm-twisting involved in getting a piece of legislation through when they could have made a more broad film that expanded into other important events of his Presidency? With a 2:45 length film, they could have easily expanded into many other issues. There were barely any scenes devoted to the fascinating Civil War strategy. They should have incorporated the war more into the film. There could have been some incredibly dramatic scenes about the the end of the war and the emotion Lincoln must have felt as it ended. They also should have brought in Gettysburg and the Emancipation Proclamation. Also should have re-created the assassination instead of showing his son find out about it in a theater. I just don't get why you'd do a three hour film on Lincoln and devote it entirely to a tiny span of a monumental Presidency that expanded four years. There was so much you could do with this film that would have been more entertaining than three hours of arm-twisting on legislation.

The dialogue was also way too verbose. I felt like I was watching a play for much of the film instead of a movie that is attempting to portray realistic conversation. I don't think people in 1865 put so much dressing on their language.

The acting was great and the period detail was nice. But I feel like an opportunity was squandered and that the movie would have been way better if it talked about multiple historic events over his Presidency instead of devoting a 3 hour movie to arm twisting over one piece of legislation. I felt like the movie took place in two rooms.

I'm obviously in the minority though. Everyone else seems to like it.

I realize my reply is a little late.

The movie was 2 hours and 29 minutes long.

The movie was what I consider an emotion based movie. And generally I think those movies either you feel it or you don't. You didn't I did. In fact I probably enjoyed it even more the second time. I too was a little surprised that the whole movie was focused on passing the 13th amendment, but now that I have seen it twice I agree with that decision, better to devote proper time to do a topic well than to rush through.

Overall I love the movie and found it very emotional. I think I like Argo a little better, but clearly Lincoln and Argo were the two best movies I've seen this year and now that I think about it, last year too
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-31-2012 at 03:15 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Searching for Sugar Man - Not sure I've seen a more recommendable movie this year. It doesn't delve deeply into a fascinating subculture or reveal amazing truths about humanity, but it's pretty much impossible to watch this movie and not walk away beaming and ecstatic about being alive. Just a wonderfully touching, life-affirming story that you would have to be really pissed off not to enjoy. Like watching the Elmo documentary but for a whole country. Recommended like a mother****er.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I feel like Elaine in "Seinfeld" when she doesn't like "The English Patient". It seems like everyone I run into thinks this movie is awesome, aside from my two friends who I saw it with and also didn't like it.
    I am a huge fan of Lincoln (the person). I have read multiple biographies and have studied the Civil War era quite a bit. So naturally, I had sky high expectations for this film. I, too, left a little underwhelmed. Day-Lewis, as usual, mastered his role as Abraham Lincoln. Everything I have ever read about him, including the voice, his humor, the stories--Day-Lewis nailed it. The movie was a little slow and I thought there was a number of ways they could have gone with it. It was still a good film, but I think it could have been much better.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Captain America- Love this film. I believe it to be my favorite of the Marvel films.

Going to have my usual movie marathon on my day off, looking like

1. Zombieland

2. The Boondock Saints

3. Kill Bill Vol.1

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This weekend I have seen both the Hobbit (MEH) and Lincoln (silent jawdrop). It's been a long while since I read the book but IIRC the movie didn't follow the book The Hobbit very closely. It seemed as though they were more interested in visuals for 3D than in actually making a story. I was underwhelmed.

Lincoln.....we went to the 96th street theater which was about 1/2 full. This is no ****....at the end NOT ONE person made a sound. It was stone dead silent for at least a minute. My wife and I both commented that we wanted to applaud but couldn't break the silence. When people did finally get up to leave it was the quietest most orderly exit I have ever seen (we left last as we had my handicapped morther-in-law with us.). I look forward to seeing this again soon but there are some others I want to see first.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

27. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Wall-e

My favorite pixar movie. My wife's family hadn't seen it, so we all watched it together. What a beautiful movie.

Now really free Lance!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Les Mis. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It grabbed me from the very first scene and I never lost interest at all. Normally I don't like musicals, but I thought this movie was great.

Was it perfect? Of course not, no movie is. But I don't judge movies on whether it is perfect or close to perfect. (IMO the criticism this movie is receiving is unwarranted)

And no Russell Crowe cannot sing, but after the first few times he sings you get used to it.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-03-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Les Mis. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It grabbed me from the very first scene and I never lost interest at all. Normally I don't like musicals, but I thought this movie was great.
    I love musicals. I'll have to check it out.

Now really free Lance!

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

I've seen the following movies and enjoyed them all:

- Bourne Legacy
    - Moonrise Kingdom
    - Safety Not Guaranteed
    - Dredd
    - Looper

33. The Following User Says Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post: