Page 283 of 346 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287293333 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,075 of 8637

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

  1. #7051
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    American Reunion

    It was certainly better than Wedding, but it was still pretty slow and boring in spots. The reviews were much better than I expected, I think they got my hopes up too much.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  2. #7052
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?


  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  4. #7053
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,301

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I might watch THAT version.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  5. #7054
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,061
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    American Reunion

    It was certainly better than Wedding, but it was still pretty slow and boring in spots. The reviews were much better than I expected, I think they got my hopes up too much.
    What number reunion was this? Wouldn't this be 13 years or so after the first movie?

  6. #7055
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What number reunion was this? Wouldn't this be 13 years or so after the first movie?
    Yep. I figured they were gonna say it was the 10th, but no, they come right out and say it's a few years late.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  7. #7056
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,106

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    American Pie Reunion - having experienced similar situations lately...my friends and I definitely related to the movie which made it better than anticipated

  8. #7057
    Member TOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?




    ^ Un-freaking-believable. Are kids today really this stupid?

  9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:


  10. #7058
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,847

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Wait, the Titanic was real?

    trollface.jpg

  11. #7059
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,025

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait, the Titanic was real?

    trollface.jpg
    The part about the ship was made up but the love story of Rose and Jack was based on a real story
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  13. #7060
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,301

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The part about the ship was made up but the love story of Rose and Jack was based on a real story
    Love stories are always real.

    Also, I heard from a reliable source that the Highlander was a documentary and events happened in real time.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  14. #7061
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    The Cabin in the Woods

    If you haven't heard, this movie is best seen untainted by any knowledge beforehand. IOW, don't read reviews, watch clips, or listen to interviews, just go see it. Not because of any big twist, they are open from the beginning on what's going on, and explain things all the way through. But it's because of this structure that the less you know, the better the experience will be.

    I'm gonna go ahead and start a thread on this, so we Whedonites can appropriately geek out.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:


  16. #7062
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,615

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Titanic 3D. Nice to see the beautiful ship on the big screen again.

  17. #7063
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,847

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Cabin in the Woods

    If you haven't heard, this movie is best seen untainted by any knowledge beforehand. IOW, don't read reviews, watch clips, or listen to interviews, just go see it. Not because of any big twist, they are open from the beginning on what's going on, and explain things all the way through. But it's because of this structure that the less you know, the better the experience will be.

    I'm gonna go ahead and start a thread on this, so we Whedonites can appropriately geek out.
    I have heard great things about the movie, nothing specific, just that its really good. Which surprises me greatly.

  18. #7064
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,519

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The part about the ship was made up but the love story of Rose and Jack was based on a real story
    Wait a minute, Leonardo Di Caprio wasn't on the real Titanic?

  19. #7065
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Semi Pro. I thought that movie was awesome, I don't know why it was "terrible"
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  20. #7066
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,519

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Un-freaking-believable. Are kids today really this stupid?
    I've found you're best off pretty much ignoring anyone born after 2000.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  22. #7067
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've found you're best off pretty much ignoring anyone born after 2000.
    Why are <12 year olds online? Don't they have a soccer camp to go to?
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  23. #7068
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    American Reunion followed immediately by Cabin in the Woods.

    Comments some other time when I'm not out at dinner using an iPhone.

    Husband's buldge.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  25. #7069
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Okay, now that I'm sitting with a keyboard:

    I liked Am. Re., but that doesn't mean I thought it was a great movie, either. I had low expectations, and that was pretty much what I got. Fun for nostalgia's sake, some decent laughs, mediocre writing/story, all resulting in me giving it about a C.

    Cabin in the Woods, I'd give more like a B+. I'll hop over to its own thread for more.

  26. #7070
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait, the Titanic was real?

    trollface.jpg
    Spoiler alert.

    Yes.


    So there goes your H459 History of Transatlantic Ocean Travel class payoff, just when you were really starting to get into going to class.



    Pssst - the Lusitania doesn't make it either.




    It is pretty shocking to see those comments. I'm going out on a limb and say that NONE of them know that Led Zeppelin did Kashmir before it was a rap hook, and that the cover of Led Zeppelin I depicts the Hindenburg, and that the Hindenburg was an actual air-ship that exploded and crashed.

    Not until they make the film that is.

    And when they do you can damn sure bet I'll be the first in the audience to yell out "Oh, that's gotta hurt!"*










    * Seinfeld was an American situation comedy in the 90s....I'm sure there will be a film about it soon enough and you can find out everything you need to know about it then.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 04-15-2012 at 08:43 PM.

  27. #7071
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    The Raid: Redemption
    I saw this in Houston after the Pacers game because Houston always gets arthouse/foreign films before Indy. It's awesome, innovative and beautifully shot. It's also very violent (lots of shooting, stabbing and breaking people with "stuff") so be prepared.

    The story itself is a little thin and slightly unsatisfying, but the basic premise of "cops must storm the castle of a fortified gang lord" is more than enough to carry the entire film and hang endless amounts of brilliant action scenes off of. There are moves you haven't seen before and there's definitely shots you haven't seen before. The film flat-out looks amazing at times.


    Cabin in the Woods

    It lived up to the hype, I'm glad I avoided any spoilers although really I knew most of it from the trailer and it didn't impact my enjoyment at all. There is blood, scares and violence. There is also a TON of humor, really good humor. Very fun film.

  28. #7072
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My only point is, movies today in general (note: pointing out exceptions do not disprove the general trend) are much faster paced and a lot more wordy than they were 20 to 30 years ago. Movies that were thought to be action packed and fast paced movies in the early 90's if you watch them today they seem much slower. Example - the Fugitive with Harrison Ford from 1993 at the time seemed like a movie that never stopped was tense and fastpaced from start to finish, but watch it today and it seems like a slow movie for that genre.

    Another good example is the movie Heat. That movie seems at the time fastpaced, not is seems rather slow.

    Another trend is movies used to be less wordy. That is why I think the movie Drive seems very different in 2012, that same exact movie in 1989 would seem more normally paced.

    TV has probably changed more than movies. Watch an action show from the 80's and compare to day and it is a huge difference. Even dramas and comedies are much faster. Scenes are so much shorter, they move from scene to scene much more rapidly.
    Well His Girl Friday outpaces all of them, especially in dialog, so it's cyclical at least. Or were the kids of 1940 so ADD that Grant and Russell had to deliver it that quick or they'd walk out?


    Some of that is driven by a success. Leone comes along and kills it and then everyone else wants to start doing long, lingering introspective scenes with 2 seconds of sudden violence at the end.

    QT goes tearing through dialog with R Dogs and Pulp and then everyone's trying to make quipster tough guy films or quirky multi-storyline interaction.



    Drive was clearly meant to be Michael Mann style, and not even Heat really. It was really similar in music and pacing to Manhunter which might be the pinnacle of Mann's "80s ness".

    But at the same time Mann also embraces minimal dialog between characters that should already know the information. Thus the breakneck speed of information exchange that made Miami Vice hard for some people to follow. Mann has this interest in the beats, rhythms and language codes of sub-cultures, especially cops or anti-cops (the organized bank robbers of Heat which are clearly mirrors of the cops).

    So he spends more time with characters reflecting and less time with them explaining every little detail to another character that should be saying "yeah, I know all this, why are you telling me".

  29. #7073
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Raid: Redemption...It's awesome, innovative and beautifully shot. It's also very violent (lots of shooting, stabbing and breaking people with "stuff") so be prepared...The story itself is a little thin and slightly unsatisfying, but the basic premise of "cops must storm the castle of a fortified gang lord" is more than enough to carry the entire film and hang endless amounts of brilliant action scenes off of. There are moves you haven't seen before and there's definitely shots you haven't seen before. The film flat-out looks amazing at times.
    Agreed on most counts. The cinematography wasn't as great to me, just very gritty/grainy with lots of 'God's eye view' shots. (Might have been our print?) The use of sound and editing to convey the brutality of the violence was great. Not sure if the story was supposed to seem so standard and cookie-cutter. The first scene was so cliched I thought, it was supposed to be humorous, though the movie is very straightforward throughout. The hand-to-hand is phenomenal, worth the price of admission alone. The writer/director is apparently Welsh; may have to check out his previous work. Pretty strongly recommended if you enjoy the action/martial arts.

  30. #7074
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,393

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    The Visitor

    I'm sad to say I've seen all three films directed by Thomas McCarthy (The Station Agent [2003], The Visitor [2007], and Win Win [2011]) and I'll probably have to wait until 2015 for the next one. They're all very good and I highly recommend them.

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:


  32. #7075
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Oh Rian Johnson... how it seems I will always be excited for your movies and yet never forgive you for spelling your name like that.


  33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •