Page 279 of 349 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279280281282283289329 ... LastLast
Results 6,951 to 6,975 of 8709

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - A very well done action movie though not quite as good as others have suggested. The attempts at emotionality slow the movie down and various plot twists feel very mechanical. Everything in Dubai is ****ing spectacular, among the best action set pieces ever. The switcheroo mission there also worked quite well. In terms of elevating the script material into a fantastic movie, no one did a better job than Bird this past year. Pretty strongly recommended.

The Artist - I'm slightly conflicted. On the one hand, there is a clear love of and attention to detail for the Hollywood of yore. The performances by the leads are great, and the film is quite touching and sweet. That said, it is odd that this is considered one of the best movies of the year. Put this up against some of the classic silent movies and it doesn't compare. My main issue with this movie is that it can only work with modern viewers. If this had been made in the 30's like The Great Dictator or even in the 50's like Sunset Boulevard, it would be considered standard material with some third act inconsistency. It's a cute little experiment, but it has little to say about the past or future of moviemaking. What an incredibly poor year for movies 2011 was. I do intend to check out the director's other two movies (spy spoofs) that I have had on Queue for a while now. Pretty strongly recommended.

Something Borrowed. I'm a sucker for Romance Movies.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Winner For This Useful Post:

Trumbo

Awesome film for anybody interested in the subject matter (Hollywood blacklisting in the late '40s). I love these historical narrative style documentaries.

Chronicle

Interesting deconstruction of the superhero movie. The "found footage" aspect is lame, but if you can just accept and roll with it, it's a pretty entertaining experience.

The evil kid is getting all the pub, but Michael B. Jordan continues to impress me in everything he does. Sooner or later he's gonna find the right vehicle and become a real star.

Oh, and dear lord were the previews beforehand awful. Battleship may look ridiculous, and 21 Jump Street may make me want to slit my wrists, but Three Stooges makes me glad the apocalyse is at hand.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chronicle

Interesting deconstruction of the superhero movie. The "found footage" aspect is lame, but if you can just accept and roll with it, it's a pretty entertaining experience.

The evil kid is getting all the pub, but Michael B. Jordan continues to impress me in everything he does. Sooner or later he's gonna find the right vehicle and become a real star.

Oh, and dear lord were the previews beforehand awful. Battleship may look ridiculous, and 21 Jump Street may make me want to slit my wrists, but Three Stooges makes me glad the apocalyse is at hand.
    Seeing Chronicle today.

Been wondering about the 3 Stooges. They actually filmed in Atlanta and some of the scenes were seriously like 200 yards from where I work. It was this super modern home that truly is something to see.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Chronicle

Loved this movie. Pretty much what Kegboy said. I still don't like the hand held camera crap, but if you can get past it, this movie was really good.

Previews were pretty bad. Excited for the Avengers though.

The Grey - I liked it quite a bit. Especially while I was watching it I was very involved in the story, but after it was over and looking back it was still good. Many would probably hate the ending, but I sort of liked that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The Grey - I liked it quite a bit. Especially while I was watching it I was very involved in the story, but after it was over and looking back it was still good. Many would probably hate the ending, but I sort of liked that too.
    As long as everyone is eaten by wolves, I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    As long as everyone is eaten by wolves, I'll be happy.

The movie made a couple of interesting choices at the end, but the movie was good enough throughout that I suppose it earned it.

I'd like to see Chronicle and The Grey, but I'm not sure if I'll find the time.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't get out to movies much now that I have a 2 year old. Have to wait for a bit.

I still want to see Chronicle.

Captain America

Actually, it's the last 2 movies I've seen.

I absolutely loved it. Damn near every bit about it makes me smile a little.

I need to watch the first Iron Man again, because Captain America might have actually been better.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Captain America

Actually, it's the last 2 movies I've seen.

I absolutely loved it. Damn near every bit about it makes me smile a little.

I need to watch the first Iron Man again, because Captain America might have actually been better.
    I know I'm in the minority with this, but I didn't like Captain America at all. Just couldn't get into it. It was probably my least favorite of the Marvel movies.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I know I'm in the minority with this, but I didn't like Captain America at all. Just couldn't get into it. It was probably my least favorite of the Marvel movies.
    Wasn't a huge fan of the movie. It was alright.

I love Iron Man though. Seen that movie like 10 times and doesn't get old. Iron Man 2 sucked though.

Nerd.
    Mood

Going to see Phantom Menace in 3D tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    Good luck. I went to Castleton at 10am (for Safe House), and it took me 10 minutes to get a ticket because of all the Star Wars people. Crazy.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Good luck. I went to Castleton at 10am (for Safe House), and it took me 10 minutes to get a ticket because of all the Star Wars people. Crazy.
    Turns out I can't go now. Have to wait until Friday.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Safe house was a lot better than Mission Impossible. Looking forward to seeing the Phantom Menace even though it is by far least favorite SW film.

I ended up watching two yesterday.

First I saw Chronicle. I'll join in with all who wish this wasn't a move told through characters holding a video camera. It (the camera gimmick) wasn't that bad, but it just got old after a while (and of course at times it was ridiculous that a camera would either be rolling, or if rolling still pointed in the right direction for the audience).

But that aside, decent. I didn't love it, but I definitely liked it. Anyone else think a certain character started to be almost Anakin Skywalker-obnoxious with his whining/defensiveness/pouting? I mean, the movie makes it very clear WHY he's so whiny, and I completely understand, but... damn. Still, sad though. I also wish the movie had more with Michael B. Jordan's character. This is actually only the second time I recall seeing him (haven't seen FNL; but saw him on Parenthood) and I like the guy.

Also, why are some calling it a superhero movie? There's super powers, but this has nothing to do with fighting crime or fighting evil people. It's just kids with powers and how they react differently to them. I guess there needs to be a mob boss or a super villain or something like that for me to call it a superhero movie. They weren't out stopping bank robbers.

The second movie I saw a couple of hours later was The Grey. Really liked this one. I went in expecting to like it, but it exceeded my expectations. Surprisingly emotional, which made it all more powerful (and made the bits about faith hit a little harder). Didn't end how I expected it to, but that's perfectly okay. Highly recommended to those who can handle the very adult language and violence.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Safe house was a lot better than Mission Impossible. Looking forward to seeing the Phantom Menace even though it is by far least favorite SW film.

With the person who I saw the movie with Saturday I made the exact opposite comment. I thought Mission Impossible was much better than Safe House.

Safe House wasn't bad, it had its moments, but overall it just didn't come together for me. It fell into the trap of having so many twists and turns and so many he's a good guy no he's really a bad guy turns that after awhile I didn't care. And Ryan Reynolds, he's not a bad actor I suppose, but either the role wasn't good for him or the chracter was just off - probably a little bit of both. The only really outstanding thing about the movie was Denzel, everything else was average at best.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-13-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Crazy, Stupid, Love

The movie was my wife's choice. Just terrible. I quit watching after 30 minutes. Wife stopped watching after about 45.
    The movie also has a great rating on Netflix. WTF!?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Crazy, Stupid, Love

The movie was my wife's choice. Just terrible. I quit watching after 30 minutes. Wife stopped watching after about 45.
    The movie also has a great rating on Netflix. WTF!?

Some people really liked the movie, I thought it was not bad, but I remember the first 30 minutes or so were really bad, but then it gets much better. You IMO gave up too soon.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

CSL got better as it went along for me as well.

Watched "Man on a Ledge" over the weekend - good movie while watching it but its nothing to write home about with deep meanings and such. Should be enjoyable for what it is.

The Woman in Black. Nice little ghost story. Several good scares. Ending not as satisfying but much better than The Devil Inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    I was going to see this, but then I realized I'd be better off taking 2 pencils and shoving them in my eyes.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post: