Page 267 of 346 FirstFirst ... 167217257263264265266267268269270271277317 ... LastLast
Results 6,651 to 6,675 of 8640

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Cowboys and Aliens

Easily right up there with The Green Lantern as the worst big budget movie of the summer. At least Transformers 3 had good special effects despite having a plot written by a five year old on Ritalin.

Someone needs to put Jon Favreau in a padded cell. How the hell did he convince Hollywood he could direct?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Agree wholeheartedly with the Captain America praise. The scene where the airborne division reacts to his show contrasted to how the American public reacted was very, very well done. They did an excellent job of capturing the ironic patriotism of Cap from the comics (and especially the Civil War).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Captain America - pretty good overall. Not sure how getting injected with a super serum means you can use that metal shield in ways that take years of practice and training. But I liked overall.

Questions:
    1: Does Captain America actually age at all? The gene in the serum has healing abilities, so that would make him like Wolverine?
    2. Does this healing ability make him hard to kill with bullets?

A fleeting thought as i left the theater. Buying war bonds was such a huge deal in WW2 a very patriotic thing to do back then, imagine the idea of paying for our numerous present day invasions with war bonds. We seem to have no end of Americans who say they support the troops and they put the bumper sticker on their cars, the government is really missing a huge revenue opportunity these days.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 07-31-2011 at 12:51 AM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Saw Captain America on Friday.

I, like everyone else apparently, left very pleased with it. I look forward to the Avengers movie. Should be a great contrast between Cap and Iron Man.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cowboys and Aliens

Easily right up there with The Green Lantern as the worst big budget movie of the summer. At least Transformers 3 had good special effects despite having a plot written by a five year old on Ritalin.

Someone needs to put Jon Favreau in a padded cell. How the hell did he convince Hollywood he could direct?
    Iron Man.

More specifically, Robert Downey Jr.'s masterful performance as Tony Stark. He carried that movie and it was a very pleasant surprise of a hit. Favreau directed that, hence the reputation. Deserved or not.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Horrible Bosses - It was okay. Some really fun parts, some really skippable parts. For whatever reason (studio heads?), Hollywood keeps pumping out poorly written comedy scripts elevated by their casts and directors. Save for the rare Tropic Thunder or Forgetting Sarah Marshall, there are no good comedy scripts being written. The best comedy is obviously on TV currently, maybe it's just a cycle.
    Agreed. TV aside, the best-written comedy i've seen of late has all come from across the pond (In The Loop, Four Lions, In Bruges).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Iron Man.

More specifically, Robert Downey Jr.'s masterful performance as Tony Stark. He carried that movie and it was a very pleasant surprise of a hit. Favreau directed that, hence the reputation. Deserved or not.
    Elf is a delightful movie too.

Captain America: The First Avenger (who isn't super cynical or pissed the **** off) - It's a rare movie that can be terrible and great at the exact same time. This movie is overblown with cliches and cheesiness yet it redeems itself over and over again with near perfect tone, smart pacing, and Chris Evans' strong performance. It felt like a movie from the 40's or 50's with stormtroopers, multicultural inglorious basterds, and Miyazaki-esque aircraft. But it's so entertaining and feel good, that it's tough not to really like it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Goonies

I had never seen it before. My wife was shocked, so we watched it today. It was cute and funny. We were both surprised at the language.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Crazy, Stupid, Love. I don't know if I liked it or not. It is a romantic comedy and the acting was really good, it was smart, it was enjoyable, and yet something about it I didn't really like. I do know the first 25 minutes or so were slow, really slow, but it picks up after that.

Better than most romantic comedies though

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Rise of Planet of the Apes, without question my favorite movie of the summer, I loved this movie. Surprisingly emotional, great special effects, and extremely involving from start to finish. Can't wait to see it again

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I thought it was pretty good, too. Pleasant surprise.

Cowboys & Aliens was the worst film I have seen this year. Just an absolute mess IMO. You'd think that with all of the big names producing, acting and even directing that this would have at least had a chance of being somewhat decent, but I have a feeling this was a case of to many chefs spoil the soup.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes on the other hand was outstanding. A great new telling of the beginning story.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Elf is a delightful movie too.
    I forgot he directed that. Yeah, that was a good movie. I actually don't think Favreau is that bad. I didn't see Cowboys & Aliens and probably won't, but I hope this is an aberration for him. The entire plot seemed asinine from the very beginning.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I'm going to wait for video to see it too, but the concept never bothered me in the least. I was just worried about it having a good story, which it sounds like it doesn't have.

Definitely, Maybe with Ryan Reynolds.

Pretty enjoyable.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Rise of Planet of the Apes, without question my favorite movie of the summer, I loved this movie. Surprisingly emotional, great special effects, and extremely involving from start to finish. Can't wait to see it again
    Is there "consistency" with the original movie? That is, is the premise of this movie consistent with the premise of the original 1968 film (I did not see the remake)?

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Is there "consistency" with the original movie? That is, is the premise of this movie consistent with the premise of the original 1968 film (I did not see the remake)?
    Probably not. Obviously the first film was really about the horrors of nuclear war and it is never said but certainly implied that a great war took place and the earth was devestated by the fallout.

Without spoiling it I'll just say they are going in another & in my mind a more realistic (if such a word can be used for a sci fi movie) direction.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I forgot he directed that. Yeah, that was a good movie. I actually don't think Favreau is that bad. I didn't see Cowboys & Aliens and probably won't, but I hope this is an aberration for him. The entire plot seemed asinine from the very beginning.
    I honestly didn't think Iron Man 2 was as bad as it is being remembered by many. The visuals/action/sound were really well done. The whole thing was just derailed by the ******** Avengers tie-in that the studio obviously learned from in executing Captain America: The First Virgin Avenger. I'm willing to give Favreau a pass on that; I'm wondering when Jon Lasseter will play this card. If/when I check out C&A (or whatever the hell the Magic Kingdom thing he's doing next is), and it's terrible, then maybe I'll rethink that position.

Super 8 - As a poor man's thinly veiled amalgamation of Speilberg's pre-2000's career, it was pretty entertaining. Full of holes, unbelievability, and moments-that-worked-thirty-years-ago-but-now-feel-chliched-because-that's-what-cliches-****ing-are. There was really good stuff too: that train crash would probably look great on a cell phone camera; most of the stuff with the kids and their movie was fun and engaging; and are you telling me there's another Fanning? Abrams obviously has a great visual style and can get a lot out of his budget. Just give him a good screenwriter and keep him the **** away from Spielberg; in fact, just keep Stephen away from movies for a while. Very mildly recommended.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watched Unknown and I liked it. I would however like to watch it again during the day when I am awake. Saw Rango too. Forgettable to me.

Tonight I saw Hall Pass and Cedar Rapids. I enjoyed Cedar Rapids, Hall Pass was eh.

I am wondering what others thought about Cedar Rapids though.

I did see Cedar Rapids when it was in theaters. I thought it was pretty good, funny, but I liked a few comedies this summer better, such as Bridesmaids, Horrible Bosses and probably even Hangover 2.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    I am wondering what others thought about Cedar Rapids though.
    From page 257 (I think):

Cedar Rapids - Aside from the holy-****-I've-never-cringed-this-much-before Wire references from Whitlock (Sheeeeeeeeeeet!), best comedy of the year so far. (Caveat: haven't seen Bridesmaids yet) Not laugh out loud funny kind of comedy, but smiling, giggling and nodding in approval kind of comedy. Ed Helms is solid as is a surprising Anne Heche. John Reilly steals the show; dude is a golden god. Liked this a lot more than Youth in Revolt. A couple of side characters were wasted and there was a little too much predictability, so it's not perfect. Captured the simple themes of small towns and personal vacations quite well. Highly recommended.

Looking back, I liked it a lot more than the other rated-R comedies that have come out this year. Though they've done well financially, except the Change Up, the overall quality has been mediocre.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Finally got around to Watching Super 8 and X-Men: First Class

X-Men was sooo much better than what I anticipated from the trailers so that was a good surprise for me.

Super 8 was good...it felt like they wanted to go back to the magical 80s era of ET/Gremlins...

The Help. While I was watching it I loved it, it was funny, it was emotional, it was powerful. But looking back on it a day later it almost feels too much like the Blind Side for me (a movie I did not like). The Help IMO was much better, but I think in an effort to appeal to the masses the comedy was too broad and a few key characters were way over-the-top and they were to silly. But several people in the audience clapped when the movie was over which always bugs me. It is a crowd pleaser for sure. My sense is this movie will do a loot better at the box office than most predicted

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hot Tub Time Machine

Loved it. Hilarious 4.5/5

I have finally worked my way through all 7 of the Harry Potter movies and am looking forward to catching the last one on the big screen before it goes to DVD.

I have not read any of the previous posts about the movie for fear of reading potential spoilers, but I do have a question?

Is IMAX and 3-D really worth it for Deathly Hallows Part II?

I would hate to miss it in 3-D or on IMAX if people think it is worth seeing it in those formats.

Opinions?