Page 264 of 347 FirstFirst ... 164214254260261262263264265266267268274314 ... LastLast
Results 6,576 to 6,600 of 8659

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

I wouldn't get your hopes up on the music. I remember many scenes where it was silent, except for the sobbing I heard in the theater.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saw the last Potter movie.

First of all, it bears mentioning that I think the sound was messed up at the Richmond theater I saw it in. I felt like the volume was about 75%-80% of what it ought to have been, and it seemed like there wasn't always music where I have the feeling there actually IS music.

With that out of the way, and acknowledging that the above probably, if not definitely, played a role, it kind of fell flat to me. Yet I wouldn't say it was bad, either.

I definitely need to see it again, hopefully somewhere with proper audio, but for now I was left somewhat underwhelmed, though I have to say there are still some nice moments.

There were emotional moments that touched me, but I felt like there were certain scenes that had the potential to deliver a 10/10 gut wrenching moment, but instead we're given about a 6/10 instead. (Particularly the part outside of the Forbidden Forest, though the bit between Harry and Hermione just prior got me to tear up a bit).

For those who are Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans, remember when Buffy has a very similar moment before she goes down to the sewer to face The Master? Sarah Michelle Geller knocks an identical line out of the park, whereas Radcliffe does not.

I'd read some reviews talking about how the movie gives plenty of nods/moments to various players, but they all seem to be kind of like a checklist; here and then suddenly done and moving on. I tend to agree, but not always. Over the last several years, as I've grown more mature, I've really come to appreciate movies that let scenes breathe, so I'm more and more turned off when things don't get to take a full breath and have an exhale, so to speak. Sometimes this movie fell victim to not letting things stretch out just a little bit.

My audience members didn't help in other cases by giggling at things I didn't think were meant to be funny, but I've had far worse audiences, too.

I dunno; I feel bad for being so negative; it's another solid effort in the series, but I can't help feeling like I got a 7/10 when it could have been a 9/10, somehow.

As I did in the book, I really liked the epilogue.

As I did in the book, I felt underwhelmed by the climactic moment.

And getting back to the F. Forest scene, they could have milked a lot more emotion out of that, both heading in, and while we're still in there. Maybe they wanted to keep things from being too dark; I dunno.

All in all, I definitely want to give this another shot before it leaves theaters so I can hopefully hear it all properly (I'm crossing my fingers for more music, which can easily stir my emotions if done well), and really I'm getting an itch to re-read at least chunks of Deathly Hallows to re-experience it in that medium.

Funny enough, part 1 stirred my emotions more than this one did. Never expected that to happen. I will say that I'd love a chance to watch it as one uninterrupted movie someday. I re-watched part 1 on blu-ray this morning to prepare, but that's not the same thing.

Oh, and I didn't get the Dark Knight Rises Teaser. I know it's barely anything, but I love the Nolan Batman films, and I still wanted to see it. I wish they'd hurry up with getting it online (and not as a boot leg).
    Well, I will say, I'm completely opposite of you, I loved the seventh book, although to be fair, the only book I didn't love was the sixth book. But I couldn't stand the epilogue.

My problem was it ended..too much like a fairytale. Spoiler, for those living under a rock and do not know what happens. I was, of course, hoping she'd kill one of the trio, (My pick was Hermione during the Bellatrix scene..I would have sobbed..)

But I agree with what your saying, part of the problem is, there was so much in these books..and the movies did not cover even 50% of it. I however, thought this was one of the better movies. The third movie, although almost completely different from the book, was the best movie of the bunch. And I wish that director had directed the rest of the movies. But anyway, this movie had to move in a fast pace in order to get as much as they can in.

One of the biggest problems though, with the movies, is that they often fail to represent the themes in JK Rowlings books, visually. (Sometimes even..at all..or barely.)

I also think, in order to do the books complete justice, they needed to be a lot darker. Which would have meant a higher rating, which would have meant less ticket sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    The third movie, although almost completely different from the book, was the best movie of the bunch.
    Okay, yes, they didn't explain the map or much of anything about the previous generation, but the basic story and tone are the same. I hear people complain about stuff left out of these films, and I can sympathize, but compared to what Hollywood did to my beloved Tom Clancy books growing up, I'm not too broken up about it.

I don't understand the concept of them needing to be "a lot darker". Maybe they could have been somewhat darker, but a lot? I don't know about that.

I really don't get why people think the third movie was the best. I was bored out of my mind and didn't feel it reflected the books well.

And I did like the ending here, I was secretly hoping they would do what they did. It's more fun that way.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Okay, yes, they didn't explain the map or much of anything about the previous generation, but the basic story and tone are the same. I hear people complain about stuff left out of these films, and I can sympathize, but compared to what Hollywood did to my beloved Tom Clancy books growing up, I'm not too broken up about it.
    I guess it's more what they left out. I honestly think the movies, in general, would have been a lot better if they had waited until JK Rowling had finished the books before they started making the movies..as well as continuing with the same director.

"A lot darker" to me, the tone of the books were a lot darker...or maybe more mature.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I saw HP Part 2 last night. I don't really know what to say. As someone who was 10 years old when the first book came out and is now 23, it really was like watching your childhood come to an end on the big screen, and I guess because of that I felt somewhat cheated by the ended. It wasn't as emotionally powerful as it could have been, other than Neville's speech IMO. Now maybe, I'm just expecting a whole lot because the Potter series has stretched such a large portion of my life. I dunno. It was a good movie, sure, but I feel like it could have been more. Maybe I just didn't want it to end, but the final fight with LeStrange for example was just, well it felt rushed.

Spoiler Spoiler:

As usual over the past couple films, I felt that Emma Watson put both Rupert and Radcliffe to shame in the emotional moments of the movies.

I don't know, maybe I just expected too much, that's honestly probably what it was, but did any of the deaths really touch you? Because too me it was just like "oh well there's a body on a stretcher big whoop".

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I guess I'm gonna be the first one to say I hated HP7.2. And I mean HATED it.

I just don't understand Hollywood, where everyone thinks that they're the freaking ****. Your job is to make the BOOK into a movie. Not change the book into the movie that you want.

I'm mean the Resurrection Stone was a flipping stone in the movie.... If you can't even make the "stone" into a freaking ring then clearly you're more interested in making it your own.

I could go through it piece by piece, but that would take forever.

I understand combining things and leaving things out because there isn't much time. But when you change blantant things like the ring, or making the Snape scene in a ****ing boathouse, instead of the Shreiking Shack, then you've lost all credibility.

I mean goodness, they couldn't even make the diadem correctly, eventhough they show a damn replica in HP7.1.

I hated it. The acting sucked. There wasn't any emotional appeal. The scene with the dragon felt like they were taking a walk in the park. There wasn't any suspense at all, there wasn't any intensity, it just happened.

I know I say the same things after every movie, but damn it's so disappointing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

See, I just don't understand how changing the location of Snape's death could offend someone. I read about the boathouse months ago, and the reasons why they did it were dead on. Having our heroes watch through a window as opposed to from a hatch under the floor boards in a cramped room worked much better visually. Rowling herself said it was the right choice and a larger, more striking setting gave Snape's death a more operatic feel.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I'm mean the Resurrection Stone was a flipping stone in the movie.... If you can't even make the "stone" into a freaking ring then clearly you're more interested in making it your own.
    Uh, it's a stone in the book, too; it was only with the ring until, I believe, when Dumbledore destroyed it when it was still a horcrux. I even just looked it up again in the book; it describes a stone, not a ring, at that point.

I do agree with the lack of tension in scenes like that. That's how I felt about some of the more emotional (or should be emotional) ones: They just sort of happen.

They could have changed the insides of the Shack in order to fit the need, instead of coming up with a totally new place to have the scene. If you're going to change it, why not change it as little as you can instead of changing the whole thing?

But it still doesn't explain why the stone was an actual stone, instead of a ring. Or why they decided to change the diadem. Or why Luna is in the Room of Requirement already when Harry and Co. show up.

I really need to stop, because I'm pretty sure I can write a couple thousand words about this.

Uh, it's a stone in the book, too; it was only with the ring until, I believe, when Dumbledore destroyed it when it was still a horcrux. I even just looked it up again in the book; it describes a stone, not a ring, at that point.
    It's still a ring, they just call it a stone. It talks about how it cracks down the middle of the stone, right along the line that represents the Elder Wand.

Can you reference anywhere that it says it's still a ring? Because the moment it pops out of the snitch, it just describes the stone. I'm not sure you're correct about this. And given that it's a ring in the 6th movie, I see no reason why they'd just change it for no reason.

Furthermore, it's called the resurrection stone, not the resurrection ring, and the implication is that one of the descendants of the family who had it eventually made it into a ring.

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Gaunt%27s_Ring

Also, what's wrong with the diadem? And why should anyone care, given that it's not as if they replaced it with a tambourine or something equally jarringly different? Looked like a woman's crown / tiara to me.

I'm working off memory, but I have read each book atleast 4 times and reread the last book just days prior to going to see the film. I don't think the book says it turned back into a stone, so without being told that it was, I would assume that it kept it's form. I'm pretty sure she describes it as being in perfect condition, except for the crack down the middle that splits the wand. Either way, there wasn't a crack, and it didn't have the rest of the Deathly Hallows symbol.

And I'm pretty sure, like 99%, that it even talks about the ring sitting on Dumbledore's desk in HBP. Harry asks about it, and Dumbledore shrugs him off and say's something like "that tale is for another day" and it's one of the questions Harry beats himself up over not asking him again after his death.

As for the diadem, I can't desribe it exactly, since she uses fictional things like gnargls and stuff like that but it has flaps over the ears. Has something that dangles from the forehead of it.

The idea is that it was broken off of the ring before being place inside the snitch. That's how I read it.

Also, it was a stone when death allegedly gave it to one of the brothers; it wasn't described as a ring then, either. One of the brother's ancestors fashioned it into the ring.

I'll end with asking: Who really should give a ****? It works just fine / the same either way.

This reminds me of the kind of **** I used to read Trekkies complaining about; levels of detail that just don't mean anything to me.

I'm focusing on just small, minute details. The final fight between Harry and Voldemort took place in the Great Hall for a reason. That reason was lost in the movie.

If I had to give my thesis on the series, I would say Love. Personal sacrifice for the greater good.

But watching that final fight between them, you'd never know. Harry TAUNTS Voldemort at the end. He wraps up the entire book with what he said. I'm diving way further into than I really should.

What was the significant of it being in the great hall beyond of course that room playing as a key centerpiece for many of the previous stories? I liked it being in there, too, but it didn't bother me much that it was moved.

Whoa, I didn't care about the stone or changing the location of Snape's death. I was way more put off by deaths of major characters just getting a 10 second view on screen and then being pushed away. It could have been so much more epic. I would have much rather seen a huge fight culminating in their deaths rather than just being like oh hey, here they and they're dead...lame. And a cop out. That would have only added about 10 minutes on what was already a long movie. That was a mistake.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 07-18-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Oh I do agree with Since that the final fight should have been in the great hall. I don't get why they changed it. It made it seem a lot more like Harry was actually fighting for and with his friends. And in this way he's now being chased all around the castle by himself, I didn't like that.

Spoiler Spoiler:

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

If I recall correctly, the book just kind of tells you those people died, too. Not saying that makes it better, though. They could have gotten more out of it on screen; I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Oh I do agree with Since that the final fight should have been in the great hall. I don't get why they changed it. It made it seem a lot more like Harry was actually fighting for and with his friends. And in this way he's now being chased all around the castle by himself, I didn't like that.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    The only thing that confused me was why they make it seem like Harry can now almost go toe to toe with him. I thought the whole point was that he won on a technicality (so to speak), yet by the last moment, it almost seems like Harry is overpowering him.

As for

Spoiler Spoiler:

What was the significant of it being in the great hall beyond of course that room playing as a key centerpiece for many of the previous stories? I liked it being in there, too, but it didn't bother me much that it was moved.
    It's not so much the room it took place in, but rather because everyone else is there to watch it.

Harry explains it all to Voldemort, taunting him about what Voldemort didn't care enough to understand. (love)

It ties everything together. It literally gives everything the whole series is about, which is love for your fellow man, and personal sacrifice for the greater good.

They completely did away with Dumbledore's background which establishes that. He and Grendlewald (spelling?) were focused on the greater good, and making people conform to it. Whereas once Dumbledore's sister died, he realizes that the innocent get caught up, and then you're just a murderer. Personal sacrifice (love) vs sacrificing others.
    Last edited by Since86; 07-18-2011 at 03:03 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

If I recall correctly, the book just kind of tells you those people died, too. Not saying that makes it better, though. They could have gotten more out of it on screen; I agree.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

The only thing that confused me was why they make it seem like Harry can now almost go toe to toe with him. I thought the whole point was that he won on a technicality (so to speak), yet by the last moment, it almost seems like Harry is overpowering him.

As for

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Harry is overpowering him because the elder wand is not giving all its power to Voldemort. But at the same time Harry should be recognized as a great wizard, Rowling has even said as much that Harry one of the best or the best dueler of any of the characters.

Spoiler Spoiler:

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: