Page 231 of 346 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231232233234235241281331 ... LastLast
Results 5,751 to 5,775 of 8637

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Inside Man is definitely a good movie
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Cold Souls

I watched in without really paying attention to it and over two days so that skewed my opinion of the movie I am sure. I didn't like it, I didnt really get it, and it just seemed very blah hense that having to break up the watching into two days, but to be fair I stopped watching it yesterday because I was interrupted with family stuff.

But the basic outline of the movie is that souls can be extracted from people and stored to lighten your burden and you can put another soul into your body. Paul Giamatti is the main character and he gets his soul extracted so he can get through a tough play he is in, but without a soul he cant act so he puts in a russian poets soul and then realizes he wants his soul back but it is missing. Hilarity ensues (not really).

Just watched Irina Palm on the Sundance channel. Interesting premise and more than a bit slow at times, but overall, I really enjoyed it only because of Marianne Faithfull. Anyone else seen this? It's a British film and didn't have a wide release here, so it's one of those little psuedo.gems that no one's probably seen. It's about an older woman who is forced to take a job in a sex shop.....and it's not near as tittilating as you'd think. At it's core, it's more about an older woman dealing with change and tough circumstances.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Meet Bill

It was alright. Nothing special.

I Am Legend

I have spoken on a number of occasions and even started or highly contributed to a thread on this movie so it is known how much I like this movie. It had been a few years since watching it or at least well over a year and I still enjoyed it very much. It holds up very well even now, still had its surprises and I noticed even more small things within the movie that I hadn't before. If you havent seen this movie i would recommend it.

KickAss

Great movie. I wasn't expecting that much violence but that just made the movie that much better. Lots of really cool death, very creative, lots of asses being kicked and just a cool enough story line. I would recommend.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Robin Hood

It was a good movie...but it just lacked something to make it memorable. Basically if you go in to this movie expecting jolly Robin Hood tales, then you are in the wrong mindset. I wanted to see this interpretation of Robin Hood cause I prefer my movies to be a bit more gritty and raw. In that aspect I liked it...

However it was miles away from other greats such as Gladiator and Braveheart...I think its because the story did not make the audience attach to the main character and to root/cheer for him...we were left more in the lines of watching everything and not really get attached emotionally...

Having said that, I would really like it if they did part two with this style and see what comes out from it...

Iron Man 2

I thought the setup, the first 45 minutes or so were really good. I liked the direction I thought the movie was going, I enjoyed the Senate scene a lot and the scene on the track was really good and memorable. But then tyhe movie got bogged down, convoluted and the ending seemed rushed. Not sure what happened or why, seemed like they didn't know what to do with the second half, or they edited too much out. And I thought most of the humor fell flat.

So what grade can I give a movie that was really good for the first 45 minutes and then stunk after that

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iron Man 2

So what grade can I give a movie that was really good for the first 45 minutes and then stunk after that
    incomplete?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    Robin Hood

It was a good movie...but it just lacked something to make it memorable. Basically if you go in to this movie expecting jolly Robin Hood tales, then you are in the wrong mindset. I wanted to see this interpretation of Robin Hood cause I prefer my movies to be a bit more gritty and raw. In that aspect I liked it...

However it was miles away from other greats such as Gladiator and Braveheart...I think its because the story did not make the audience attach to the main character and to root/cheer for him...we were left more in the lines of watching everything and not really get attached emotionally...

Having said that, I would really like it if they did part two with this style and see what comes out from it...
    I went and saw it yesterday and I completely agree. It was a good movie and like you I like my movies a bit more gritty and raw and not as tame as say Kevin Costner's Robin Hood.

The emotional attachment to Crowe's character was definitely lacking compared to Gladiator or Bravehart.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    C.

I've seen so much "gritty and raw" TV/movies that I'd actually be up for something different.

Roger Ebert had a quote I liked at the top of his review of Robin Hood that, to a point, I agree with: "Little by little, title by title, innocence and joy is being drained out of the movies."

With that said, if this movie were getting better reviews I'd still be up for seeing it, but it sounds very mediocre, and I don't really care to see it right away. I'll probably rent it later.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

The Fourth Kind

I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi/Horror movies, especially ones about aliens/apocalypse stuff so I'm a little biased in this review, but I loved this movie. It's definitely one of the better done movies about aliens. Milla Jovovich was great like always and they did a great job of incorporating the real life footage into the movie. Definitely a must see if you're into this kind of thing.

Precious

Different than what I expected but enjoyable. Monique did a real good job and from the different movies I have seen with the supporting actress, she has been the best.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    KickAss

Great movie. I wasn't expecting that much violence but that just made the movie that much better. Lots of really cool death, very creative, lots of asses being kicked and just a cool enough story line. I would recommend.
    I liked it too and I wasn't really expecting to.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

N8R

Just saw Robin Hood.

How you can go for almost 2 & 1/2 hours and have zero character development is beyond me.

It's like someone said, let's take Russell Crowe and put him in an action movie where he can act all stoic and serene while chaos is going on around him, then they decided to make the Robin Hood story. In other words it's like they tried to put Ridley Scott and Russel Crowe together again then decided the film instead of having a film in mind and deciding that Russel Crowe and Ridley Scott would be perfect for it.

I mean technically it wasn't a bad film and I kept seeing things that made me want to see more, but when I say more I mean deeper more not just more action on the screen.

The only real problem I have with this is that this is definately an older Robin Hood & Maid Marion so I don't know if I buy the whole "adventure begins" tone of the movie.

The fight scene on the beach with the French was really kind of pointless and well frankly the whole French thing was pointless.

Like was said above you really walked away from this one not caring about any one character.

I'd rate this about a C.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

For those who didn't follow the script debacle of Robin Hood, here's a good article laying out why the movie is such a mess.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...sell_crow.html
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

First Blood.

Never saw it before (or part 2 or 3; though I've seen the recent "Rambo").

Pretty good. Though I don't understand why the sheriffs were such dicks to begin with. Seemed unprovoked and they didn't give a reasonable motivation for it. I mean am I really supposed to think they'd treat a war vet like **** just because he was a drifter?

Letting that go, I otherwise thought it was pretty good and I'm glad to have finally seen it. Not sure how hot I am to see 2 or 3, though, as I heard it gets a lot campier.

As a matter of fact, I even watched it a second time later today with Sylvester Stallone giving an audio commentary (that I assume was recorded fairly recently). He's pretty good at giving insight into the filming of the movie, the story, and his character.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Presumed Innocent with Harrison Ford. I though it was a pretty good court room-type drama, though the twist was kind of easy to see coming.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    First Blood.

Pretty good. Though I don't understand why the sheriffs were such dicks to begin with. Seemed unprovoked and they didn't give a reasonable motivation for it. I mean am I really supposed to think they'd treat a war vet like **** just because he was a drifter?

Letting that go, I otherwise thought it was pretty good and I'm glad to have finally seen it. Not sure how hot I am to see 2 or 3, though, as I heard it gets a lot campier.

As a matter of fact, I even watched it a second time later today with Sylvester Stallone giving an audio commentary (that I assume was recorded fairly recently). He's pretty good at giving insight into the filming of the movie, the story, and his character.
    I know in the book, Rambo was much more of a hippie drifter. And good ol' boys of the era really hated hippies. The cops think they're keeping the smelly hippie out of their town, not realizing that a war veteran could be dressed like that.

The movie just gets John Rambo's attire wrong. The guy looks former military all the way, and you have to up the "local sheriffs are dicks" factor in order to move the plot along in the way it's supposed to go.

The "schtick" of course is that Rambo turns out to be the macho hero guy with post traumatic stress disorder who goes on a rampage. Before this, movie rampages were often perpetrated by "heros" like Dirty Harry ("Go ahead, punk.") who god all kinds of fan worship for blowing away dirty long hairs like Rambo.

Then there were lonely psychos like Travis Bickle, but that's a whole other thing.

Eventually, you didn't even need much of an excuse to go on a killing rampage, so the planet had to endure a bajillion action movies that had no shtick at all (other than the governator pretending to be from California).
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    For those who didn't follow the script debacle of Robin Hood, here's a good article laying out why the movie is such a mess.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...sell_crow.html
    That take on the Robin Hood story would have been really interesting. Given that debacle no wonder the movie was so short on character development.

I agree with Peck that the fight scene at the end with French just seemed so lackluster. I like the French coming to England while the English were fighting among themselves, but the last battle just seemed like a big letdown given the gravity of a French invasion.

Who Killed The Electric Car

A documentary on the first mainstream electric car in California the EV1. Very interesting storyline behind the movie but I knew most of the information already on the vehicle but they gave some good information on Hydrogen cars and just where vehicles are going in general. Cool Documentary.

Cheaper By The Dozen

Nice family film.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    First Blood.

Do yourself the favor and just skip parts 2 & 3.

I would have told you to spare yourself the entire Rambo movie as well but since you have already seen it, no harm done.

First Blood however was totally differant from all of the movies that followed.

As L.A. pointed out what you were supposed to get from John Rambo walking through small Washington town (or was it OR?, I'm not sure) is that he looked like a hippy drifter who hadn't bathed, wore military clothing (which was somewhat of an insult to the guys that wore the uniform back then when a Hippie would dare to mock them by wearing the uniform) and generally looked like he had nothing to do but cause trouble. Small town Police wanting to "keep his town safe". If you'll notice the original cop didn't start off by being a total tool. He was polite but firm and did offer him a ride out of town. I'm not saying he wasn't wrong but it's not like he started swinging the night stick the moment he saw him.

Also, and I can't emphasize this enough, you have to understand the context of the movie in the time frame from which it existed.

This was shown in 1982 which was 28 years ago (wow that is a long time when I type it out like that). The Vietnam war has been over now for 35 years so to someone like you it would be like me watching a movie about the Korean war. In other words ancient history. However you have to understand that when this film came out the war had officially only been over for 7 years and unofficially for about 4 to 5 years depending on if you believe some story's about spec. ops. teams still there in 77 or 78. So the wounds were fresh then and for obvious reasons the Vietnam war tore a real rift in our nation and this movie hit on at a time that was perfect for a movie like this to take off.

I have argued for years with people who just claim that this is a mindless shootem up film. I understand that this is an action film and no I won't deny that they did add a lot of action to spice up the film, but there is a real story here and I think a very deep story at that. That is why I used to get all pissy with people who called the film Rambo, because they were doing that to insult the film because films 2 & 3 were just action films that the writers used to just play out the character as a revenge for all of America's woe's at the time. Part 2 had us going back to Vietnam and rescuing P.O.W.'s who were still being held hostage (believe me there were more than a few people who to this day still believe that Vietnam is holding P.O.W.'s) so this tapped into a very popular topic at the time (again think time frame as it was still only 10 years after the war this time). Part three while set in Afghanistan (Ironic that he probably was fighting along side the Taliban at the time considering today's world) was really nothing more than a we can kick Commie @ss whenever we need to.

Again, you've seen the important one. You've even seen the last one.

Stop there and move on to Rocky now.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I've seen all of the Rocky movies, some of them (well, in parts at least) I've seen many times growing up.

I've never purposefully sat down as an adult to go through them (except for seeing Rocky 6 as an adult), though. I may do that later on.

As for First Blood, Stallone was pretty insightful regarding the true character and story of this film, and it's certainly not mindless like mainstream audiences probably remember.

This guy is right on the thin line between man and animal (or war machine, if you like) due to his past.

When you first see John, he's not on that fence; he's a man who just wants a peaceful post-war life.

But once he finds out the last of his war friends is dead, that's the end of John's life, in a way. He's essentially done, and it's just a matter of how much he falls into being a war machine versus just living a purposeless existence wandering the countryside.

Circumstances obviously unleash the beast, and the movie plays that out.

Apparently the original story doesn't have John riding the fence like Stallone insisted on, and that Rambo just kills pretty much everyone.

Like when he comes across the kid hunting with his dad, he slaughters them all originally (apparently), but for the movie he spares them (and a lot of the sheriffs for that matter). Sly seems to have played a big role in shaping the Rambo we see on the screen.

Fascinating to me, too, were these two nuggets:

1) Earlier on, there was a 3 1/2 hour cut (a whopping 2 additional hours over what we ultimately get at a lean 90 minutes) and it apparently sucked.
    2) Originally his army boss (colonel, I think?) was played by Kirk Douglas, who insisted on a ton of changes (I would dare say bizarre changes; including his character "going Rambo" too and ultimately strapping John to the hood of his car as he drives off at the end of the flick). Needless to say, they couldn't see eye to eye and Kirk abandoned the project when his ideas were not adopted.

Stallone mentions how he didn't like it when Ronald Reagen said something like "Rambo is a Republican" because according to Stallone, it's actually far from it. John Rambo isn't a patriot; he hates the military/country for what they turned him into. They're the enemy to him. It only gets worse when he returns home and is called a baby killer, etc.

First Blood is a tragedy in an action flick's clothing.

Oh, and I liked "Rambo" when I saw it. Didn't love it, but liked it. It seemed to return back to who John is/was, while also embracing how much of a badass he (I'm assuming) is in the previous sequels with ripping out throats and that kind of thing.