Page 217 of 346 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221227267317 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,425 of 8640

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Up on blu-ray. Very good. I like Edward Asner and I think Dug was hilarious.

Star Trek on blu-ray. It was good in IMAX, and it was good on home video. For me, the best movie of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Up In the Air ... A
    Excellent work all around. George Clooney is top shelf; Vera Farminga exhibits range; Jason Bateman is good; could have used way more JK Simmons (when can't you?). Jason Reitman is three for three in feature length efforts. The audience seemed to have a better reaction to this than what I've heard about Men Who Stare at Goats (although, I've also heard Clooney is quite good in that, too). This was easily tied with The Hurt Locker for best film I've seen since July.
    Looking forward to seeing that. And yes Men Looking at Goats just didn't work

Star Trek Excellent movie. Can't wait to get my PS3, so I can watch it again in Blu-Ray.
    @Digma2

Frost / Nixon Pretty good. Still a lot about him and that time period I don't know. I'm sure those that know more would appreciate it more.

Kill Bill Vol. 2 - Still high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Up on blu-ray. Very good. I like Edward Asner and I think Dug was hilarious.

Star Trek on blu-ray. It was good in IMAX, and it was good on home video. For me, the best movie of the year.
    I haven't seen Up yet, but I have loved pretty much all of Pixar movies, especially the recent ones. Should I go ahead and buy it?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I haven't seen Up yet, but I have loved pretty much all of Pixar movies, especially the recent ones. Should I go ahead and buy it?
    Like every Pixar movie, except for both Toy Story movies and A Bug's Life, I bought it without seeing it at the theater. It was worth it.

sweabs

Just saw The Hangover for the first time. I was really underwhelmed - maybe I went into it with too high of expectations.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sweabs For This Useful Post:

Spider-Man. I've fallen more out of love with those movies each time I watch them as I've gotten older.

The Shawshank Redemption. Hard to be better than this.

Speaking of being older, it'd been a few years since I'd sat to watch the entire thing (Shawshank) in one sitting. You see things differently than you do when you're younger. Makes me wonder what other movies/TV shows I'll appreciate and/or view differently with a few more years under my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Speaking of being older, it'd been a few years since I'd sat to watch the entire thing (Shawshank) in one sitting. You see things differently than you do when you're younger. Makes me wonder what other movies/TV shows I'll appreciate and/or view differently with a few more years under my belt.
    very true

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    Just saw The Hangover for the first time. I was really underwhelmed - maybe I went into it with too high of expectations.
    I saw that movie twice. First time, I thought it was very funny (I admit I had a couple of drinks and had recently gotten plowed in Vegas where I lost a butt-load of money)

The second time, I was sober and excited to see all those jokes again and it fell completely flat, especially the absurd plot twists, the awful Tiger puppet and ... well ... everything. I just think that comedies were so much better back in the days when they were not dependent on having a plot to move a story along. No puzzles to solve. No lessons to learn.

Animal House
    M*A*S*H
    Caddy Shack
    Blazing Saddles
    Vacation

I mean, yeah, there's some semblance of plot in these movies but never EVER does a character learn anything about themselves or try to win over a girl or change the world.

Comedies have really suffered when people started writing them like they are mysteries or dramas or action movies only with jokes added.

Considerable and notable exception to this rule: Any comedy written by the Coen Brothers.

I did still appreciate the payoff of the pictures at the end of The Hangover, though. That was still a nice touch.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

You're Canadian. You get a pass.

I think Hangover is the best comedy I have ever seen. And no I wasn't drunk when I saw it. I actually saw it at the bargain matinee showing at 11:00 AM on a Sunday. maybe by the end I was drunk with laughter. I'll see it again here in a few weeks and we'll see if I like it as well.

And I generally don't like comedies - most are too dumb and not funny.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

sweabs

You didn't think the Hangover was dumb? A tiger in the bathroom is not dumb?

Mood

It was unexpected. Who would've thought that there would be a tiger in the bathroom!? It was hilarious.

I guess if something is funny enough, I'm willing to overlook dumb.

Everyone has a different sense of humor, and I guess whatever type of humor Hangover was is my type of humor. Not sure why. There were several lines that just had be laughing out loud. And I enjoyed the plot a great deal also (if had a better plot than a lot of action/drama movies I have seen this year)

The tiger, the baby - it all worked. The only thing that didn't work for me, was the gay Asian guy - everything else I thought was right on

Mood

Metromix: "Is 'New Moon' the best yet?"

How do you come to that conclusion when there has only been 1 movie before it? I would understand if this was the third or fourth movie, whatever, but c'mon. At least say that it's "Better than the first."

BTW, those movies just get under my skin. The preteen heart-throb obsession movies. OMG, this is rediculous.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It wasn't the fact that there was a tiger in the bathroom that was funny, it was how it was handled.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tigers LOVE pepper!

Not really a movie, but I saw Chicago (the musical). Was quite good, and actually showed how good the movie really was.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

sweabs

Bruno

Pretty funny at times. Seemed real scripted though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not at all. They explained it. It's far fetched, but the security footage of the one guy humping him was funny enough to make up for it.

Precious really, really good. Type of movie that sticks with you for a few days, because the characters get under your skin - you care about them.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Precious really, really good. Type of movie that sticks with you for a few days, because the characters get under your skin - you care about them.
    Monumentally depressing though. My review got lost in the PD meltdown, but I was stunned by the performances. Mo'Nique was unrecognizable and powerful (not something I ever expected to say about the star of Phat Girlz). Mariah actually seemed like she was capable of acting -- she was even using an authentic Brooklyn Jewish accent. Precious was a newcomer herself. I think I gave it a B+.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Monumentally depressing though. My review got lost in the PD meltdown, but I was stunned by the performances. Mo'Nique was unrecognizable and powerful (not something I ever expected to say about the star of Phat Girlz). Mariah actually seemed like she was capable of acting -- she was even using an authentic Brooklyn Jewish accent. Precious was a newcomer herself. I think I gave it a B+.
    Depressing? I suppose, but also a little life-affirming in that she was starting to overcome some of the obsticals in her life. Of course what she went through was depressing. Overall though, I was in a good mood as I was leaving the theater, because good movies always put me in a good mood. And being engrossed in a movie for 2 hours always puts me in a good mood.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-24-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Pineapple Express.

It had some funny parts, but on the whole was not good. At the end I was glad I graded papers while watching it. It wasn't worth 2 hours of my sole attention.

My experience with Apatow and his cronies is that the quality of his films has a direct correlation with the amount of pot humor in them. The first goes up as the latter goes down.

In general I think his TV shows (Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared) are much better than his films because they clean him up and force him not to take the cheap route to laughter.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

28. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post: