Page 216 of 340 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220226266316 ... LastLast
Results 5,376 to 5,400 of 8498

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost forgot, I watched the Knowing last night. Except for a good subway scene - I thought the movie was almost horrible, almost terrible, but most of all it was just boring. I was rooting against Nick Cage - when did he become so annoying. There were a couple of times when I was watching when it seemed like a M. Night Shyamalanish movie - but it wasn't nearly as good as any of those.
    That would be right about here:

[yt]e6i2WRreARo[/yt]
    Last edited by DisplacedKnick; 07-09-2009 at 02:56 PM.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Whatever, Wicker Man is the best comedic performance of all time.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Step Brothers

Not bad. Some funny parts but I felt like I wanted more.

6.5/10
    You'll never want to play the drums again, will you?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Bruno- really damn funny, though I thought Borat was better
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Just got done watching Jarhead for the first time.

Magnolia.

Holy ****. Perfect movie.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Magnolia.

Holy ****. Perfect movie.
    First time I watched it, I had decided that I was going to really, really like it, though I could understand why other people wouldn't, but I just was really liking it, until...

Spoiler Spoiler:

After that, it became a story I would tell over beers.

Finally, a couple of years ago, I asked for it for Christmas, because I figured it was time to give it another shot. This time, I still liked everything about it that I liked before, but...

Spoiler Spoiler:

So, yeah, it's a really good movie...great characters. Their lives were largely miserable, but I could actually connect and empathize with them, as opposed to "Leaving Las Vegas"...where I just wanted the two main characters to die as quickly as possible.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bruno.

Sick, twisted, sexist, demented, racist and any other adjective I can use to describe how horrible this movie was...

...but boy was it amazing.

I really wish Sacha Baron Cohen would've used the original Bruno from Da Ali G Show. I understand he had to make the character up a little bit from the big screen, but it really opened up too many differences from the show.

Finally saw the Hangover

That is a really, really, really good movie. Two of the biggest compliments I can ever give a movie: 1) I never looked at my watch or thought about what we were doing after the movie - it kept my attention the entire time 2) And I was disappointed when it was over, because I wanted to see more - which is higly unusual for me

Sure it was extremely funny - no doubt about it. It had two or three different types of humor - which is extremely rare for a movie. But they way they set up the plot - it was ingenious because it kept you wondering what was coming next and you really cared what happened next.

Overall, I cannot remember a comedy I ENJOYED MORE EVER. Most comedies are annoying as recently as it seems like the characters just yell lot.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-12-2009 at 10:34 PM.

sweabs

Choke

I have not read this book. In fact, the only Palahniuk stuff I've got into thus far is reading and watching Fight Club.

I can't say that I enjoyed this movie as much as Fight Club, nor did the story and underlying themes/messages interest me as much...but I still enjoyed the film. I thought it was funny in a very sarcastic or cynical way and thought the acting was pretty good.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey another Sam Rockwell movie!

I just saw Moon.

It's very good and I can't talk about it almost at all without spoiling most of it. It's the thinking man's science fiction high point of the year with Star Trek winning the space opera part of the equation.

Mood

Just got done watching Jackass 2.0. Some was funny, but it definitely childish and these guys are a glutton for punishment. The thing that kind of turns me off to the movie was the whole sticking things in their bums for the part of the joke. A little gay if you ask me.

streets ahead

The Hangover ... A-
    I really enjoyed this - much more than I thought I would. Some parts like the Mr. Chow/Ken Jeong part or the Rob Riggle taser section are pretty broad and go on way too long. But outside of those two things I have little to complain about. The best things about the movie is how the story and the comedy are not fighting each other. In a lot of comedies, you’ll have a good to great first two acts of a movie, where most of the comedy is. Then you reach the third act and suddenly the director / screenwriter feels compelled to break from the comedy and tie up the story. The movie is unbalanced and falls apart. Not the case here -- The Hangover is well (enough) written to work as both a story and a comedy.

Bruno ... B
    My guess is that how you felt about Borat will mostly determine how you feel about Bruno. While Bruno was funny, it just didn't measure up to Cohen's first film. I think part of it involves the diminishing returns -- experiencing an almost identical plot: eccentric and outrageous foreign tv personality travels abroad to experience America. This time Cohen plays an Austrian fashionista and sets his focus on homophobia and celebrity culture. I think my biggest complaint is that Bruno feels significantly more staged than Borat. That's not to say that there aren't some disturbingly hilarious moments (like several stage parents attempting to cast their children as one example) but on the whole this film felt less organic and less observational. You do have to admire Cohen for pushing the envelope and throwing some danger back into comedy - he doesn't just poke the bear he takes a pair of designer gloves and slaps the bear in the face. These films are also impressive from a technical standpoint considering the situations he throws himself into and the fact that he'll only - at best - have one take to make it work (I don't think Ron Paul would be up for a day of re-shoots).

Food, Inc. ... B+
    I'm not sure how much this documentary covers that isn't already preached by foodinistas, but the visuals that accompany the information are fairly powerful. Essentially what the documentary asks is "why don't we care and why aren't we allowed to ask where our food comes from?" The scope of the film is impressive, it looks at factory-farm production of genetic and dietary alterations to chickens and cows, corn subsidizing, Monsanto's patent on a soybean gene and their ability to corner America's soybean production, veggie libel laws... As with these types of documentaries, more problems are identified than solutions offered. But as far as a straight up documentary is concerned, it was fairly good.

Public Enemies ... B-
    I liked this but didn’t love it. Mann certainly knows how to make a gangster picture, I’ll say that. Depp did a fantastic job. Bale did a solid job but unfortunately he had very little to work with. I do have one MAJOR complaint about the film and it’s a camera issue. It doesn’t bother me that he’s using HD, although considering it’s a historical film I suppose that could be an issue. It’s the 10% of the time that Mann opts for hand-held ‘shaky cam’ shots. I really don’t know what he's trying to accomplish but the result is insanely irritating and just looks sloppy or unfinished.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 07-13-2009 at 10:16 AM.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by clowny man
    he doesn't just poke the bear he takes a pair of designer gloves and slaps the bear in the face.
    Very nice. I'd thank you...but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    First time I watched it, I had decided that I was going to really, really like it, though I could understand why other people wouldn't, but I just was really liking it, until...

Spoiler Spoiler:

After that, it became a story I would tell over beers.

Finally, a couple of years ago, I asked for it for Christmas, because I figured it was time to give it another shot. This time, I still liked everything about it that I liked before, but...

Spoiler Spoiler:

So, yeah, it's a really good movie...great characters. Their lives were largely miserable, but I could actually connect and empathize with them, as opposed to "Leaving Las Vegas"...where I just wanted the two main characters to die as quickly as possible.
    I agree that it's jarring, however for me it took the movie from "Okay this a pretty great movie so far" to "Oh my ****ING LORD, best movie I'll ever see" status. And I'll admit that this is mainly because of my own personal predilections: if you ever read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (not saying you should—my favorite book, but many people hate it for mostly good reasons), it combines the intricate superrealistic etching of characters' misery with random oddball screwy surrealism/comedy, which for whatever reason resonates like hell w/ me. I never thought I'd get that same weird feeling from a film (or really any other piece of art—IJ is pretty damned idiosyncratic).
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Hancock

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post

Bruno ... B
    My guess is that how you felt about Borat will mostly determine how you feel about Bruno. While Bruno was funny, it just didn't measure up to Cohen's first film. I think part of it involves the diminishing returns -- experiencing an almost identical plot: eccentric and outrageous foreign tv personality travels abroad to experience America. This time Cohen plays an Austrian fashionista and sets his focus on homophobia and celebrity culture. I think my biggest complaint is that Bruno feels significantly more staged than Borat. That's not to say that there aren't some disturbingly hilarious moments (like several stage parents attempting to cast their children as one example) but on the whole this film felt less organic and less observational. You do have to admire Cohen for pushing the envelope and throwing some danger back into comedy - he doesn't just poke the bear he takes a pair of designer gloves and slaps the bear in the face. These films are also impressive from a technical standpoint considering the situations he throws himself into and the fact that he'll only - at best - have one take to make it work (I don't think Ron Paul would be up for a day of re-shoots).
    Remember, Borat wasn't Cohen's first major film about one of his characters.

Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Very solid movie. I found myself very engrossed in it since I anticipated how the character development was going to unfold.

Ice Age 3

It was like the other 2 just a new setting so to speak. It was amusing.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- Hell freaking yes. Easily the best movie of the series. Great mix of hilarity and intense action. I went in having read the book a hundred times, and there were times that had me jumping. The end of the movie is terrific.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Watched In Bruges again lately. Colin Farrell can act when he wants.

I'm so glad that we have at least most of this thread.

I watched Star Trek again this time in Blu-ray and it is a really good movie.

Spread...

not bad, long but funny movie, kind of glad where it ended up... gives all us hard workers some reward for working 9-5... mind you, can't help but envy the lifestyle if you can get away with it...

Law Abiding Citizen...

Good Movie... kind of fair reaching at some points, dude sure had a grudge but worth watching for the action, twists turns...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Eating Out 2: Sloppy Seconds

It was groundbreaking.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

streets ahead

Up In the Air ... A
    Excellent work all around. George Clooney is top shelf; Vera Farminga exhibits range; Jason Bateman is good; could have used way more JK Simmons (when can't you?). Jason Reitman is three for three in feature length efforts. The audience seemed to have a better reaction to this than what I've heard about Men Who Stare at Goats (although, I've also heard Clooney is quite good in that, too). This was easily tied with The Hurt Locker for best film I've seen since July.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 11-18-2009 at 11:08 PM.