Page 209 of 346 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219259309 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,225 of 8634

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Burn After Reading.

Rousingly "OK". I agree with the above review. Not a Coen best.

Kinda felt like a 3rd rate "Fargo" to me.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by atc
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went in hoping for a Wicker Man / Eagle Eye -esque hilarity
    How'd it get burned? How'd it get burned? How'd it get burned?
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    How'd it get burned? How'd it get burned? How'd it get burned?
    Wicker Man has to rate in the top ten of an all-time worst film list (I'm talking about mainstream films where there was reason to think it might actually be good). And to think, at one time I like Nick Cage as an actor.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I had seen the original "Wicker Man" with Edward Woodward (of "The Equalizer" fame) maybe about 20 years ago...It was this cult classic, so, what the hell...Anyway, knowing how bizarre the story was, and knowing that Nicolas Cage was, well...Nicolas Cage....suffice it to say, I've given that movie a wide berth.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I had seen the original "Wicker Man" with Edward Woodward (of "The Equalizer" fame) maybe about 20 years ago...It was this cult classic, so, what the hell...Anyway, knowing how bizarre the story was, and knowing that Nicolas Cage was, well...Nicolas Cage....suffice it to say, I've given that movie a wide berth.
    It has a high level of unintentional hilarity - sort of like what friends tell me you can find in reading The DaVinci Code.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

God, when the truck just randomly keeps plowing through the kid for no apparent reason. That is comedic gold.

Then the how'd it get burned rant.

Of course punching the lady in the face while wearing the bear costume has to be right up there.

Then of course, "Keep your stupid mask."

Just an amazing comedic performance.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Nothing but the Truth

Really, really good. Serious movie though without gun shootouts, violence, car chases, or Michael Bay like crazy editing. But really good
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-28-2009 at 01:08 PM.

streets ahead

The Ten … B-
    I'd call this film half funny. This is another one from David Wain, Ken Marino and Paul Rudd (Role Models, Wet Hot American Summer) and it's a series of ten sketches about each of the ten commandments. The first half is great, brilliant at times (specifically Liev Schreiber in "Covet Thy Neighbors Goods" and Oliver Platt in "Honor Thy Father and Mother"). But as we moved to the second tablet the scenes went from being extremely funny to being either occassionally amusing ("Covet Thy Neighbor's Wife" with Rob Corddry), mostly creepy ("Thou Shall Not Steal") or just irritating ("Bear False Witness" and "Adultry"). Their hamhanded transitions were funny and reasonably subtle at first, but just became irritating towards the end. So if anything, I recommend watching half this movie.

Star Trek ... B+

I don't think anything I've said requires a spoiler tag but if you'd rather not read anything about it, skip this one.

I went to a press screening last night - although the theater was packed with word of mouth fans too (there was a very animated debate going on behind me about whether half-impulse was possible or if it just could only be impulse... I have no idea what that means). For someone who knows very little about the Star Trek universe, I was entertained. Obviously lots of tributes to the original series and plenty of inside jokes as I found fans laughing heartily at places. There was quite a bit of applause when the enterprise was first revealed on screen. But there is plenty of humor for those that only know the dude from Reading Rainbow was on that next generation series with a weird visor. JJ did a fine job. The cast was quite good too, I wasn't sure what to expect from Chris Pine but I thought he did a nice job.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 04-28-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Seven Pounds

The Wrestler

"The Wrestler"

Acting was great, movie was good. Not great, but good. I didn't see it as being an Oscar worthy movie. Maybe all of the talk and hype had me expecting too much. Plus there was a little too much cliche stuff going on to really call it especially original. The acting alone is what carried it, not necessarily the story.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    In a way cleaning up after dead people is retreading, no? Remaking something as if new...

I meant 'retread' in the sense that it's trying too hard to be a Little Miss Sunshine sequel of sorts - or at the very least it's more clumsy cousin.
    Oh, it helps that I never saw Little Miss Sunshine.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Wolverine

a tad disappointed...was expecting a bit more...everything...felt like a lot of stuff was shown yet not much had happened...it was lacking many things...then again its because i had othe expectations...so i fee like i was let down somewhat...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    Wolverine

a tad disappointed...was expecting a bit more...everything...felt like a lot of stuff was shown yet not much had happened...it was lacking many things...then again its because i had othe expectations...so i fee like i was let down somewhat...

I kind of agree. I just saw it and don't fully know what to think on it. I think it falls in line with the quality of the first X-Men however many years ago that was. Much better than X3 though. I didn't have those expectations you did really cause I didn't know much about the origins. Explains a lot though.

Yeah I saw X-Man today. It wasn't terrible, it was great. It wasn't very good, it was bad. It was just sort of there - nothing memorable, nothing to draw you into the story. My favorite two characters were actually the old couple

Why so many shots of the claws, and Jackman Flexing - I mean that was probably half the movie.

Did anyone else think the metal claws looked really cartoony? Most of the special effects were pretty good but that really stood out. That and the Blob fat suit, which made me wonder if the makeup artists had ever seen a fat person before.

Overall, it was pretty underwhelming. The fight scenes were well executed, but on the whole the movie seemed kinda...half-hearted.

Saw Wolverine last night.

Honestly I was pleasantly suprised. I went in with very low expectations and it was significantly better than what I thought it would be.

First off this is not for the wine and cheese crowd, this is an action film. So there will be no deep discussions about the meaning of life, etc., etc.

But if you can just set that aside it is actually pretty entertaining.

I never really liked Wolverine as a character but in this movie I liked him and his interactions with Sabertooth.

Of course if you are a fan of the comic then you will probably have some issues with this.

But overall I think this was a decent film.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Apparently, there are multiple "secret endings" to Wolverine, including one with Deadpool where
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    . The really weird thing, though, is that there are different secret endings on different prints of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by indytoad View Post
    Did anyone else think the metal claws looked really cartoony? Most of the special effects were pretty good but that really stood out. That and the Blob fat suit, which made me wonder if the makeup artists had ever seen a fat person before.

Overall, it was pretty underwhelming. The fight scenes were well executed, but on the whole the movie seemed kinda...half-hearted.
    that is spot on...thought the claws looked like they came out from Robocop or any other 80s movie really...don't know what happened there.

"Body of Lies"

Ho hum....
    It was OK for a while and I suppose I've seen worse for one of these spy movies but it did seem to drag on. Not sure why Russell Crowe needed to put on several pounds for the role. I'd think a sloppy haircut and dowdy clothes would've accomplished the same thing for his character. ...But then Leo couldn't call him "fat" in the one scene. If the movie was WAY better I could understand packing on some pounds for the role but this was a popcorn flick all the way. Not sure it needed that kind of dedication. Imagine Forrest Whitaker losing 40 lbs for the movie "Vantage Point"... that would be an example of what I mean in something not being necessary for the film.

I didn't need the love story. Especially not one so cliched. Who couldn't see that coming from the moment she made her appearance to what would be happening the rest of the way? Even the twist was pretty predictable when you thought about it. As a matter of fact, once that love interest aspect of the story appeared, that's about where the movie slipped a notch in my opinion.

Acting and production was well done but the writing left something to be desired. For what it ultimately offered it could've stood some more time in the editing room shortening the film. It's a popcorn flick... albeit a popcorn flick that lasts a little too long. It starts with a lot of promise as a popcorn flick but the wheels slowly come off as the movie rolls along.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Apparently, there are multiple "secret endings" to Wolverine, including one with Deadpool where
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    . The really weird thing, though, is that there are different secret endings on different prints of the film.
    Yea, actually there were two segments that came up after the movie was over with. One right after the credits started rolling and then the deadpool part at the very end.

Curse Hollywood for doing that to me. Now I am forced to sit through the dang credits at the end for fear I will miss something.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Yea, actually there were two segments that came up after the movie was over with. One right after the credits started rolling and then the deadpool part at the very end.

Curse Hollywood for doing that to me. Now I am forced to sit through the dang credits at the end for fear I will miss something.
    really? @#$@# left the movies while the credits were rolling...damn

nevermind...found the clips online...

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by bellisimo; 05-03-2009 at 05:16 PM.

woman without a team

The Soloist

Eh. I'd already seen something about Nathaniel Ayers on 60 Minutes so I pretty much already knew what was going to happen. I could have done without them taking the time to establish the back story that Robert Downey Jr.'s character sucked at interpersonal relationships. On the other hand, Jamie Foxx is excellent as usual.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist

Was okay. I was hoping it would be somewhat like Superbad, but it isn't up to par with it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bride Wars

Yes Man - absolutely great.

Yes Man -- VERY VERY