Page 208 of 344 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218258308 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,200 of 8578

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

sweabs

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Watched Yes, Man

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Super Troopers

Love that movie.

Thrilla in Manilla, an HBO sports documentry on fight three between Ali & Frasier.

Fascinating, enlightening, entertaining and suprising.

If you love the sweet science this is a must. This is told from Joe Fraisiers point of view with interviews with all of the major players that are still alive minus Ali & King.

In fact King is just mentioned one time during the entire film.

There were things in there that I had never EVER heard in my life.

Ali speaking at a Ku Klux Klan rally was just more than my head could accept, absolutely unreal.

It's playing on HBO all month long, do yourself the favor and DVR it.

Well worth your time.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Old School

classic.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Role Models

That movie was hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thrilla in Manilla, an HBO sports documentry on fight three between Ali & Frasier.

Fascinating, enlightening, entertaining and suprising.

If you love the sweet science this is a must. This is told from Joe Fraisiers point of view with interviews with all of the major players that are still alive minus Ali & King.

In fact King is just mentioned one time during the entire film.

There were things in there that I had never EVER heard in my life.

Ali speaking at a Ku Klux Klan rally was just more than my head could accept, absolutely unreal.

It's playing on HBO all month long, do yourself the favor and DVR it.

Well worth your time.
    I saw this in the guide but didn't realize itwas a new one. I appreciate the heads up.

Taken

The Boondock Saints

Leatherheads

woman without a team

State of Play--Pretty good movie with an interesting twist at the end; however
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by grace; 04-18-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Observe And Report I liked it, my wife hated it. I would only recommend it to people who enjoyed Pineapple Express because it's the same type of humor. The trailer for the new [B]Terminator[/B looked pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    State of Play--Pretty good movie with an interesting twist at the end; however
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

I've not finished it yet, but I've been watching a documentary on Meticalla called Some Kind of Monster. It's during 2002-2003 when they're making their St. Anger album.

I've always heard Lars is a doucher, but watching him enteract with people and how he even conducts his body language, someone needs to beat to sense into him, literally.

It really is amazing they have survived 27yrs, death, addictions, and replacing bassists. I would think that having someone like Lars in a band, would just kill them. He is a great drummer, but a complete *******.

streets ahead

I haven't really posted to PD since February. Though I'm quite certain my presence wasn't missed (especially by Hicks) here are a bunch of films I've seen in the last two-ish months:

Waltz with Bashir … A-
    Waltz is a Linklater-styled animated documentary of sorts. Documentarian Ari Folman was involved in the Israel/Lebanon war but realizes that his own memories of that time are almost nonexistent. Instead of investigating the genocide in what would be considered a traditional documentary, he focuses more on the memories and nightmares of the friends who fought with him. He uses little footage choosing to conceptualize and visualize what his friends recall - sometimes in stunning fashion. It had moments where I found the animation distracting but it was quite enjoyable. When describing the film, Folman said “It should be hallucinatory but also realistic.” That is by far the best way to describe it.

The Class … A-
    I haven’t seen Departures (the film that won best foreign language at the Oscars) but I’m stunned that neither Waltz nor The Class won. It must be pretty damn good. So was The Class - the counter punch to stories you read (educators mostly, I imagine) about Ron Clark. It's a quasi-documentary about an idealistic teacher in an ethnically diverse school in Paris learning that some students can‘t be reached. Quasi-documentary mainly due to the manner in which it was filmed. It began with an autobiography by a teacher who was then cast as the lead. Then most of the classroom scenes were improvised over the course of a year by non-actors (though playing roles) - so it certainly has an organic feel to it. My one complaint would be the length - it’s two hours long and by the end feels like every one of it’s 120 minutes. It’s certainly not an uplifting film but a good one.

Sunshine Cleaning … C
    Not entirely sure what to make of this one. It isn’t not enjoyable but isn’t really enjoyable either. It just sort of exists. I think it might work better as a documentary than Little Miss Sunshine 2: Electric Bugaloo. Amy Adams, Emily Blunt and Clifton Collins were all top shelf, but it just feels like a retread.

Knowing … D+
    I went in hoping for a Wicker Man / Eagle Eye -esque hilarity and came out mostly disappointed. Alex Proyas never fully committed to being awful (like Neil LaBute might have). There are a couple of well-done disaster special effects scenes, but mostly it was just not very good. If you see any Proyas film about determinism, shadowy gaunt figures and one man who discovers the ‘truth‘, see Dark City.

Role Models … B-
    I felt like I should have enjoyed this more than I did. Paul Rudd plus members of The State plus hilarious scene-stealing kid should equal comedy gold. Perhaps my loving hatred of Seann Williams Scott was too powerful or maybe it was just a weak second half of the film.

Burn After Reading … B
    I liked this but it isn‘t among the Coen‘s best. It’s quirky and frankly I remember only laughing twice (both courtesy of JK Simmons) but a great cast (Clooney, Pitt, Malkovich, Jenkins, Simmons, McDormand) carried this somewhat pointless movie.

Rachel Getting Married … A-
    Anne Hathaway is fantastic as is the supporting cast. Jonathan Demme did a wonderful job too. It might be a bit long (especially during the actual wedding) but it’s very minimalist - lots of long, single-shot takes (one I think lasted about 10min) and the music is all captured live on set. It’s painful to watch (the toast scene specifically) but a great film.

Frozen River … B+
    As a whole Frozen River is fairly good, not great but my only real problem with it is the ending - I‘m not sure if I buy it. The film is about a mother of two who can’t get by working the cash register at the Yankee Dollar after her gambling addicted husband runs off with the down payment on their new double-wide a week before Christmas. For a variety of reasons, she ends up getting into smuggling immigrants across a frozen river on the nearby Blackhawk reservation. Regardless of the odd ending, Melissa Leo’s performance is amazingly good.

King of Kong … A-
    Heckuva documentary about Donkey Kong champion Billy Mitchell and a guy named Steve Wiebe who challenges him for the record. However, more than being simply a documentary about a video game and a high score it’s the story of an underdog who fights the system. Ultimately I think it works on both levels.

Gone Baby Gone … A-
    Wonderful job by both Afflecks. Casey is an unusual choice but probably the right one for this role. Ben demonstrates something that he’s never shown on the other side of the camera (except for Hollywoodland): nuance. Very nice performances from Ed Harris and Amy Ryan also. It dealt with some interesting moral dilemmas too.

Milk … B+
    Great performances from Penn and Brolin. Franco and Emile Hirsch were also quite good but for some reason I was annoyed every second Diego Luna was on screen. Van Sant’s direction was solid but I certainly don’t believe it deserved to win for best original screenplay (I give that nod to In Bruges though I have yet to see Happy-Go-Lucky).

The Conversation … A
    I’d never seen The Conversation before but you have to add it to the list of great Gene Hackman performances. Written and directed by Francis Ford Coppola, Hackman plays Harry “the best wiretapper on the West Coast“ who tries desperately not to get involved with his targets. After a complicated job, he begins to fear the conversation he recorded could lead to people dying if he gives it to the client. It’s certainly an old school thriller but it’s also a film about Harry’s conscience.

Back in February I talked about re-watching The Verdict. JayRedd said something along the lines of most actors couldn’t dream of touching Paul Newman’s resume. I think you could put Gene Hackman into that category too (I've forgiven him for Welcome to Mooseport).
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 04-26-2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: sigh

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Burn After Reading … B
    I liked this but it isn‘t among the Coen‘s best. It’s quirky and frankly I remember only laughing twice (both courtesy of JK Simmons) but a great cast (Clooney, Pitt, Malkovich, Jenkins, Simmons, McDormand) carried this somewhat pointless movie.
    Come on, you didn't laugh when Clooney showed McDormand the creation he had been building for the first time and her reaction to it? My wife and I laughed like crazy when we saw that. I agree that JK Simmons was hilarious, even though he probably had like what, 7 r 8 lines in the whole movie?

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Come on, you didn't laugh when Clooney showed McDormand the creation he had been building for the first time and her reaction to it? My wife and I laughed like crazy when we saw that.
    Sure it was funny, and maybe I laughed. I watched it beginning of March so I'm a little fuzzy on specifics. I also remember finding the line Pitt says immediately after the blackmail call quite funny. I guess the point was that I just don't remember laughing out loud that much but still really enjoying this tragicomedy.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I agree that JK Simmons was hilarious, even though he probably had like what, 7 r 8 lines in the whole movie?
    And they're all gold.

Zero Day, pretty disturbing really.

Someone uploaded the whole thing on Youtube.

High School Musical 3: Senior Year

Don't ask why. I didn't see the first two, and have no intention of ever seeing the first two.

It was...tolerable. I didn't gouge my eyes out, so that's a bonus. Pretty standard cheesy Disney fare. Not even sure I can rate this one, as it wasn't absolutely unwatchable, but it also wasn't my cup of tea, so relatively speaking, I probably wouldn't give it a "fair" rating.

I borrowed King of Kong from a friend, and am looking forward to watching it.

Death Race Better than i thought it would be. My wife actually picked it referring back to the early movie this one was very loosly based on. Nice action and effects stuff. The acting was good too, what little they actually needed.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Sunshine Cleaning Ö C
    Not entirely sure what to make of this one. It isnít not enjoyable but isnít really enjoyable either. It just sort f exists. I think it might work better as a documentary than Little Miss Sunshine 2: Electric Bugaloo. Amy Adams, Emily Blunt and Clifton Collins were all top shelf, but it just feels like a retread.
    How is cleaning up after dead people a retread?

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    How is cleaning up after dead people a retread?
    In a way cleaning up after dead people is retreading, no? Remaking something as if new...

I meant 'retread' in the sense that it's trying too hard to be a Little Miss Sunshine sequel of sorts - or at the very least it's more clumsy cousin. As an actual film subject I guess it's less so. There's a Samuel Jackson film called The Cleaner and Tarantino did a film about it too but I'm not coming up with any others.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    High School Musical 3: Senior Year

Don't ask why. I didn't see the first two, and have no intention of ever seeing the first two.

It was...tolerable. I didn't gouge my eyes out, so that's a bonus. Pretty standard cheesy Disney fare. Not even sure I can rate this one, as it wasn't absolutely unwatchable, but it also wasn't my cup of tea, so relatively speaking, I probably wouldn't give it a "fair" rating.

I borrowed King of Kong from a friend, and am looking forward to watching it.
    I want to know what possessed you to go see that movie.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I want to know what possessed you to go see that movie.
    The one thing that possesses all men to see movies like that.

Super Size Me

Damn.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    The one thing that possesses all men to see movies like that.
    Alcohol? Massive quantities of mind-numbing alcohol?