Page 201 of 347 FirstFirst ... 101151191197198199200201202203204205211251301 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,025 of 8659

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

History of the World Part I- still an incredibly entertaining movie
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

American Gangster

I watched it before broken up into two parts as my laptop died before I could finish it so I wanted to watch it in one sitting. Really good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've tried to see some of the Oscar flicks over the past few weeks and most of them are pretty meh. Benjamin Button and Slumdog are both okay, The Wrestler and Doubt are superb, and Revolutionary Road is an absolute abomination of awful. Overall, 2008 was a pretty weak year for film-making me thinks.

I obviously didn't watch em all, but if I was making a list of the best movies I saw in the past 12 months, it would go:

1. Iron Man
    2. Doubt
    3. Che
    4. The Wrestler
    5. Pineapple Express
    6. The Dark Knight
    7. Burn After Reading
    8. Ben Button
    9. Slumdog
    10. Shine a Light
    256,876. Indiana Jones IV

As someone who absolutely loved Slumdog , I would be really curious as to why you didn't love the movie. I mean what is the weakness, because I really don't see a any. I mean I guess it is a movie that might not be great on paper, but as a movie experience I think it is close to perfect

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Not sure if Redd there is going for his favorites or looking at it from a more critical perspective but here's what I liked from this past year (assuming the TWWB's and NCFOM's are exempt):

1. Tropic Thunder (the best comedy of the decade and a comedic performance from RDJ that will be recognized as one of the best ever)

2. Slumdog (though it is super derivative and basic it still had that smooth Boyle execution; it's nowhere near one of my favorite movies but was en enjoyable movie experience)

3. The Wrestler (one of those really effectual movies plus Marisa's still got it)

4. Wall-E (could watch the first act of this movie a million times)

5. In Bruges (surprised at how much I need to view it again)

6. Kung Fu Panda (simple and fun nuff said)

7. Gran Torino (great marketing; watch it for Clint)

8. Benjamin Button (really wanted it to be better than Forest Gump; it's barely)

9. Iron Man (really strong except for the awful CG fight)

10. Doubt (thought it needed a different director; too ambiguous for a mass audience; still powerfully acted though)

11. Milk (can't say I really liked it but it was good)

12. W (superb performance but terrible editing)

13. the Dark Knight (I have never hated a movie (or an actor) so much after liking it so much the first time I saw it)

Choke was disappointing. Charlie Bartlett was ridiculously worse. The Happening was hilarious.

Haven't seen Appaloosa, Che, The Reader, The Wackness, Vicky blah blah blah, Frost/Nixon or any FOREIGN FLICKS; oh, or Donkey Punch...

Pretentious Note: Forgetting Sarah Marshall was much better as a movie than was Pineapple Express though I may have laughed more frequently during the latter.

Revolutionary Road was somehow more irritating than the average Mendes unthrill ride.

Not a great year Hollywood (except for getting those Searchlight movies online), hope 2009 is better (talking to you Mann, Quentin, and Ritchie).

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    As someone who absolutely loved Slumdog , I would be really curious as to why you didn't love the movie. I mean what is the weakness, because I really don't see a any. I mean I guess it is a movie that might not be great on paper, but as a movie experience I think it is close to perfect
    My main problem with it is just the story itself.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good movie. I didn't find it as great as people say it is. I enjoyed The Wrestler, Rachel Getting Married, and WALL-E much more than Slumdog. (I still haven't seen Frost/Nixon, Milk, or Doubt. I need to get on that.)
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    My main problem with it is just the story itself.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

That is interesting. I think you are looking at it backwards. You seem to be suggesting that the Millionaire show was the story and that should dictate how the rest of the movie is told. I look at it just the opposite, the Millionaire show was just a good vehicle to tell the story and I think the story needed to be told in chronological order.

Not that I'm discounting the Millionaire show scenes, - they were excellent and very important to the structure - but i think it would have been a huge storytelling mistake to tell the story as you suggest.

Overall I will say this movie is a movie you feel. that is what I mean when I posted that maybe it wasn't great on paper - there are movies with better plots or movies that are better from an intellectual standpoint. But this movie is so great IMO because it touches your heart - I least it did to me and that is extremely rare for a movie to do.

Mood

Mama's Boy

Jon Heder
    Diane Keaton
    Anna Faris
    Jeff Daniels

It wasn't a very big publicized movie...it was very funny, and not stupid. It had a good message towards the end of the film as well.

It may be a little hard to get a hold of, it wasn't a big production, but it was good.

Jeff Daniels was somewhat funny in it, too.

Close to perfect? Wow. I mean, it's a pretty good filck and all, but really? Technically (filming, sound, visuals, sets, artistic presentation, etc.) it was indeed stellar. But the overall story arc and literally non-existent character development sort of marred all that for me somewhat.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by JayRedd; 02-23-2009 at 02:21 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

You guys are ridiculous. Slumdog was the best cinematic experience of this past year. That's what matters to me. I am very happy it won and I still get goose bumps every time I hear a song from that movie.

Close to perfect? Wow. I mean, it's a pretty good filck and all, but really? Technically (filming, sound, visuals, sets, artistic presentation, etc.) it was indeed stellar. But the overall story arc and literally non-existent character development sort of marred all that for me somewhat.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Jay - yes, I have read several articles where it is true that children's legs are cut off, eyes taken out so they can make more money for their owners. Let me see if I can find the article. It is quite good and worth reading. I'll read the rest of your post in a few.

OK, please read this article. It might allow you to look at the film differently. If anything the movie didn't show things half as bad as they are.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...en-profit.html

wow, I just read the rest of your spoiler - I cannot fathom how you cannot care about the characters. I'll probably go see it ffor a third time. it has been quite awhile since I added a movie into my alltime top 5, but I think Slumdog will be added to my list
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-23-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    You guys are ridiculous. Slumdog was the best cinematic experience of this past year. That's what matters to me. I am very happy it won and I still get goose bumps every time I hear a song from that movie.
    I never said it shouldn't have won. Just saying it won in a bad year. Like AI's Sixers. Good team but I won't be telling my kids about either one.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Jay - yes, I have read several articles where it is true that children's legs are cut off, eyes taken out so they can make more money for their owners. Let me see if I can find the article. It is quite good and worth reading. I'll read the rest of your post in a few.

OK, please read this article. It might allow you to look at the film differently. If anything the movie didn't show things half as bad as they are.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...en-profit.html
    Fair enough.

Yet I still didn't enjoy the portrayal even if it's based on reality. Not sure how to explain the feeling of the fakeness that that whole sequence had to it in words on a message board. Maybe sorta like New Jack City compared to The Wire. They're both talking about the same thing, but one is using cartoon characters and the other is has versimilitude. Or like City of God vs. Blood Diamond maybe. That's probably better since each were depicting foreign, Third World horror that I can't possibly imagine knowing. Yet one had me feeling like I was watching something real and the other one had a bad guy in an eyepatch.

(And, no, I'm certainly not actually comparing this movie to New Jack City. And I actually really like Blood Diamond regardless of some sillyness.)
    Last edited by JayRedd; 02-23-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Vicky Christina Barcelona

What was that movie about?

Fair enough.

Yet I still didn't enjoy the portrayal even if it's based on reality. Not sure how to explain the feeling of the fakeness that that whole sequence had to it in words on a message board. Maybe sorta like New Jack City compared to The Wire. They're both talking about the same thing, but one is using cartoon characters and the other is has versimilitude. Or like City of God vs. Blood Diamond maybe. That's probably better since each were depicting foreign, Third World horror that I can't possibly imagine knowing. Yet one had me feeling like I was watching something real and the other one had a bad guy in an eyepatch.

(And, no, I'm certainly not actually comparing this movie to New Jack City. And I actually really like Blood Diamond regardless of some sillyness.)
    It's interesting how, in fiction, it's often necessary to use a believable fiction as opposed to an unbelievable fact.

Tangentially, other things are affected by the audience's perception, like accents. My niece is a dialect coach, and she's done a lot of work up in the Chicago theatre scene. She talks about how she often has to "Americanize" the accent so that it's understandable.

On the TV series "Angel", Glenn Quinn played a character named "Doyle," who was to have an Irish accent. He had been most notably known as Becky Conner's boyfriend on "Roseanne." On chat boards and reviews, people made fun of his accent, saying it was corny and that he didn't stay in it consistently. The funny part was that Glenn Quinn was born in Dublin, Ireland, and lived his first 18 years there. His accent was his actual accent, and the only reason that he'd come out of it for certain lines was because the directors didn't think the audience would be able to understand the reading in his normal accent.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Transporter 3
    90 minute commercial for Audi...

Yes Man
    More like - meh man

Role Models
    very little funny moments...

Nerd.
    Mood

Tropic Thunder.

Hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    Tropic Thunder.

Hilarious!
    Mostly. They did go overboard with the retarded thing.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I thought it was completely in line with the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I thought it was completely in line with the movie.
    Considering all the hubbub, I was expecting there to be more. I'd have to watch it again, but my first reaction was, "what was all the fuss about?"

Then again, I don't have any personal investment in the entire issue, so I couldn't tell you whether it was offensive or not.

Mood

SEXDRIVE

Oh, man...it was hilarious!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Considering all the hubbub, I was expecting there to be more. I'd have to watch it again, but my first reaction was, "what was all the fuss about?"

Then again, I don't have any personal investment in the entire issue, so I couldn't tell you whether it was offensive or not.
    Those were my feelings exactly. And I've seen the movie multiple times and still don't get the fuss.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post

there were protests in front of the gallery place theater in dc the week before it came out (while there were press / advanced screenings going on). after the friday release, the protesters disappeared and were never seen again (at least at that theater, can't say for the rest of the city or country). once you see the specific parts in context it's pretty obvious they're not making fun of handicapped persons... kinda takes the wind out of the ol' protest sails.

I'm quite a tolerant person, but I did find it offensive at times. I think they should've gone with a different angle on it.

I'm quite a tolerant person, but I did find it offensive at times. I think they should've gone with a different angle on it.
    That seems fair.

On to other things:

Richard III

1995 movie of the Shakespearean play, updated to the 1930 with Ian McKellen as the title character.

I don't generally like "modernizing", not because of any pretensions, but just because they tend to do such a ****ty job of it. However, this was pretty good. They basically used '30's warfare/other technology, music, and a few other conventions (including some veiled Nazi references), but the original dialogue.

McKellen was excellent as Richard of Gloucester, and his asides were (forgive me, but I can't find a more accurately descriptive word ) deliciously delivered.

Annette Bening played Elizabeth, wife of Edward IV. I normally can't stand her, but she was pretty good. Robert Downey, Jr gave a weak performance as her brother, Rivers, and their (intentionally) American accents early were kind of jarring. However, Bening really nailed her confrontation with Richard.

Some of the end was kind of ham handed, but it was enjoyable.

I hadn't seen it for years, and I was shocked to see Dominic West (McNulty from the Wire) as Henry, Earl of Richmond. He was very young, and his performance was uneven, but it was fun.