Page 197 of 349 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207247297 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,925 of 8710

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Saw Gran Torino really, really good. Sure the kid and his sister weren't good actors, but for the most part I thought that gave it a certain authenticity to the movie, only once or twice was it a distraction. It was better than I thought it was going to be overall and I had high hopes. The ending was really perfect - the perfect way to end it for the maximum emotional impact. Will see it again for sure.

Of the three possible best picture nominees. I still lke Slumdog Millionaire the best (Hicks you need to go see it) followed closely by Gran Torino and then Benjamin Button all three are excellent and proves to me they are still making excellent movies

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Defiance - solid flick based on a true story. Good performances by Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber. Not outstanding, but on the other hand I never felt myself nodding off. I wish I had waited for the DVD, or at least had seen it at the matinee.

City of Ember

It was alright. It wasnt really explained all that well as to why they were there. A little hokey and the end didnt answer a lot of questions I had about the movie. It was ok.

Remember the Titans

For some reason anytime this movie is on TV I watch it. Got to see the full movie this time commercial free on the Family channel which is a first in a long time. The movie is good and I think most that have seen it would agree. Some of the parts were chocking me up which i dont remember happen the first times watching it. Who knows maybe I am getting my period or something.

sweabs

Autism: The Musical

Saw it on HBO the other day.

The Oscar noms are in

Best picture -
    Slumdog Millionaire
    Frost/Nixon
    Benjamin Button
    Milk
    The Reader

Little surprised the Reader was nominated. I'm sure many of you are upset that Dark Knight wasn't nominated - but I figured it wouldn't.

I would be very surprised if Slumdog doesn't win

streets ahead

quick thoughts after glancing at the noms...

interesting that the only non-technical award Dark Knight received was for heath - more for it's financial success and that it seemed to be picking up momentum near the end of the year with critics than because i think it was one of the top five films this year.

as much as UB liked Benjamin Button, it feels like the classic "many noms, no significant wins" film. i'm shocked by taraji henson's nomination - she wasn't bad, but was basically sally field in gump part deux (though in fairness so was most of the movie).

supporting actress is wide open. i haven't seen The Wrestler but the academy loves them some tomei. amy adams was good but i felt everyone's performance in that movie was dwarfed by viola davis - the problem is that she was in the film for such a short time. penelope cruz was great in Vicky Cristina Barcelona. and like i said, taraji was solid but not extraordinary.

The Reader seems a bit overhyped by the number of noms compared to reviews. seems odd Revolutionary Road.

nice to see The Visitor and Frozen River nominated.

odd to see clint eastwood direct two films (and star in one) and not have the academy bend over backwards to honor him.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 01-22-2009 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    odd to see clint eastwood direct two films (and star in one) and not have the academy bend over backwards to honor him.
    Maybe that split the vote?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post

The Reader seems a bit overhyped by the number of noms compared to reviews.
    The Reader's only in there because Oprah's a fan of Kate Winslet's rack. (was gonna post a link but evidently Harpo's made a copyright claim and I don't want to get Hicks in trouble - it's hilarious though)

I haven't seen Changeling but IMO Gran Torino doesn't deserve a best picture nom (unless it was just a horrible year) but Eastwood's performance is good enough for a Best Actor nom - though again, unless you've seen everything how do you judge?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post

I haven't seen Changeling but IMO Gran Torino doesn't deserve a best picture nom (unless it was just a horrible year) but Eastwood's performance is good enough for a Best Actor nom - though again, unless you've seen everything how do you judge?

Saw Changeling and it isn't worthy of a best pic nom.

You have touched upon the problem with the nominating process - those who vote haven't seen everything - in fact far from it.

Of the 5 films nominated, I have seen Slumdog and Benjamin and I would vote for Slumdog without question. Will see Frost/Nixon before the awards are handed out, might see Milk - probably won't see the Reader until it is on DVD

The only best picture nominee I've managed to see is Slumdog Millionaire. I've been meaning to see the other nominees though. While I enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire, I'm not so sure it deserves anything more than just the nomination.
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Then again, I didn't think Crash or Chicago were the greatest movies either.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Bride Wars: My God what has happened to Kate Hudson????? Honestly if I did not know it was here going into the show I would probably not ever recognized her. Her Mother aged much much more gracefully than that. I hope it was her hair or makeup or something but d@mn....

Anyway the show was about what you would expect. However it was not nearly as funny as I was kind of hoping for, believe me I was not expecting much, but there were a few funny's.

A very very very contrived ending to boot.

The Island

Had seen it before but it was on TV overnight so I figured what the heck, might as well. I still enjoy it for the most part. I mean Michael Bay is outrageous and enjoys explosions and car chases and car wrecks but I do too.

As far as the Oscar Noms go I have been Slumdog and Button, I have Frost Nixon but havent watched it yet. The Reader doesnt interest me and nor does Milk.

Dark Knight is at the theaters again in IMAX and if for some reason you didn't get a chance to see it last summer in IMAX I highly recommend taking the opportunity now
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-23-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Dark Knight is at the theaters again in IMAX and if some some reason you didn't get a chance to see it last summer in IMAX I highly recommend taking the opportunity now
    I get motion sickness at IMAX.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I get motion sickness at IMAX.
    Still worth it.

Still worth it.
    Seriously, I mean can't-walk-can't-stand-up-pass-out-call-an-ambulance motion sickness.

My eyes feel like they're trying to escape my head in opposite directions. It is quite debilitating.

I have the same problem with first person video games. Hell, even the 3-D Maze screen saver that windows used to have made me throw up.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Seriously, I mean can't-walk-can't-stand-up-pass-out-call-an-ambulance motion sickness.

My eyes feel like they're trying to escape my head in opposite directions. It is quite debilitating.

I have the same problem with first person video games. Hell, even the 3-D Maze screen saver that windows used to have made me throw up.
    So you wouldn't want to accompany me to Kings Island or Cedar Point this summer.

Did you get car sick when you were little. - I often did - have outgrown it for the most part

So you wouldn't want to accompany me to Kings Island or Cedar Point this summer.

Did you get car sick when you were little. - I often did - have outgrown it for the most part
    No, I don't have problems with things that actually move...just things that look like they're moving, but really aren't, if that makes any sense.

My brain can't reconcile the differing inputs, I guess.

No, I don't have problems with things that actually move...just things that look like they're moving, but really aren't, if that makes any sense.

My brain can't reconcile the differing inputs, I guess.
    No that makes sense. I have a little bit the same problem as I can't do that virtual rides - even though the seat you are in just sort of tilts forwards, back, side to side - but the visual makes me feel really bad. Although I did get sick last time I went Cedar point - it wasn;t the roller coasters it was the stupid big swing ride I went on - something about the slow weightless feeling that get me.

Sorry, I din't intend to get this thread of topic.

Anyone see Frost/Nixon yet?

sweabs

I used to have that problem - the Back to the Future ride at Universal Studios was my worst enemy for many years.

That stuff has no effect on me anymore, though.

I went to an IMAX that had first person view from a helicopter and midway through I had to look at the ground cause I was getting sick. I have been to others since and I have been all good but certain movies, rides and visuals can make me sick quick ick.

No that makes sense. I have a little bit the same problem as I can't do that virtual rides - even though the seat you are in just sort of tilts forwards, back, side to side - but the visual makes me feel really bad. Although I did get sick last time I went Cedar point - it wasn;t the roller coasters it was the stupid big swing ride I went on - something about the slow weightless feeling that get me.

Sorry, I din't intend to get this thread of topic.

Anyone see Frost/Nixon yet?
    No...I rarely get to see movies in the theatres. I did almost buy the audiobook last week, but I bought Angler by Barton Gellmann instead. It's been great for my trek to Terre Haute and back.

I just rented Max Payne, and I'll probably watch it today or tomorrow.

Just saw Munich, very good movie.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace