Page 190 of 344 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200240290 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,750 of 8588

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

  1. #4726
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Kinsey - 7/10

    Not bad. I like just about anything Liam Neeson does, so that probably helped (I can see more socially conservative folk really hating this). It gets a little repetitive and melodramatic in the final act, but the subject matter is obviously of interest to everyone and -- although I very little understanding about the plot and character's connection to reality other than the study was a huge deal and conducted in a similar way -- it's interesting to see how little people knew just four or five decades ago about the fundamental realities of sexuality that we now take for granted.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 12-14-2008 at 11:13 AM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  2. #4727
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman8r View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ghost Town

    I enjoyed it a great deal. I am a big fan of Ricky Gervais and anything he does so I might be a bit biased but it was a good story told well with a good amount of humour injected into it. Predictable at some parts but for the most parts it was a surprise around each corner.


    How did you see this? Illegal download? Or is it out on DVD? I've be wanting to see it for awhile now.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  3. #4728
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,520

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    The day the earth stood still.

    It has been a long long time since I've seen the original so I want to go back and see if this is how the original ended.

    I don't really know how to rate this film. Good visuals and special affects, however short on depth of characters. Also, not to belabor the obvious here, but there was certainly a definate political swaying on this film (which I understand is typical but still).

    If you have nothing else to do and don't mind dropping a few dollars on the film I would say it would be ok. However I don't think this would go into my "recommend to a friend" list of films.

  4. #4729
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The day the earth stood still.

    It has been a long long time since I've seen the original so I want to go back and see if this is how the original ended.

    I don't really know how to rate this film. Good visuals and special affects, however short on depth of characters. Also, not to belabor the obvious here, but there was certainly a definate political swaying on this film (which I understand is typical but still).

    If you have nothing else to do and don't mind dropping a few dollars on the film I would say it would be ok. However I don't think this would go into my "recommend to a friend" list of films.
    Yeah, I saw this today also. Not good, but then I knew going in I probably wouldn't like it. I would go to see another movie if i were you. I thought the special effects seemed lke something from about 15 years ago. The really sad thing is a movie like this will have many times more people who see it then a completely original and the great Slumdug Millionaire.

  5. #4730
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    I just listened to a review of Slumdug Millionaire an hour ago (I subscribe to the podcast, "Filmspotting," anyone else out there?), and now I am interested in checking it out. I probably won't see it until I have a chance to rent it, but I'm interested.

  6. #4731
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    haven't seen slumdog yet (might go sometime this week) but definitely interested.

    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ... C-
    first of all, the movie ran nearly 3 hours - the editors could have sliced 60-90 minutes out of it and nobody would have noticed. obviously eric roth (screenwriter) embraces the whole 'wise elder reminds everybody about how important stories are and how life is all about taking chances' method of screenwriting; in a lot of ways this movie plays like the lovechild of Big Fish and Forrest Gump (the latter being another screenplay by roth). the whole thing is... well... curious because while it is decently directed (by david fincher, whose Zodiac, Fight Club and Se7en i enjoy) and decently acted, what we get is something flat, long, preachy and unfocused.

    i'll keep it purposefully vague for now until it's released.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 12-14-2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: whoopsie

  7. #4732
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,874
    Mood

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Gran Torino - Clint's acting makes this go from standard drama to extremely enjoyable, thought-provoking and entertaining journey. It's really tough not to call him the best on the planet. Really tough.

  8. #4733
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    I downloaded a DVD rip of it of the net. There are there and ripped by Axxo.

    ATC - how did you see that movie already? It doesnt come out till x-mas.

  9. #4734
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman8r View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ATC - how did you see that movie already? It doesnt come out till x-mas.
    advance press screening.

    thanks to well-placed generous friends, i get into a ton of press or publicity advance screenings. out of the 50 or so films i've seen in the last two and a half years i've probably only paid for like six of them. it's a beautiful thing and it's next to impossible to convince myself that paying theatre prices is worth it.

  10. #4735
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Slumdog millionaire was indeed excellent.

  11. #4736
    Thanks Kesty! Pig Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    add me to the list that liked slumdog.

  12. #4737
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman8r View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I downloaded a DVD rip of it of the net. There are there and ripped by Axxo.

    ATC - how did you see that movie already? It doesnt come out till x-mas.
    I'm an employee of a CD-DVD replicator and distributor. Our US Manufacturing operation will be replicating it's last disc by the end of the first quarter next year. On December 31st, some 280 employees of that plant will be terminated. The remaining 150 will be out of work by the end of April when the plant officially closes its doors.

    I, myself, will likely be unemployed on January 1st. My most likely safety net, at the moment, is if the company who purchased the book of business elects to claim me as a "transfer" employee. Should this happen, I would then have a 200-mile round trip from door-to-door every day. Oh, and by the way, I'd then be employed by another CD-DVD replicator/distributor.

    It would be foolish to say that these jobs were lost due to illegal downloads and ripping of movies or music. This industry and market is besieged by declining demand, rough economy, and the presence of legal downloads. Even if I were to land with the other company, I am well aware that I will still be in the next buggy whip industry.

    That being said, illegal downloads are still stealing, and they did not help our situation. I find the casual acceptance of it disturbing. I'm sure there's any number of rationalizations. I may get lectures on free markets, or some coffee house bull**** about freedom or some such nonsense. Some may say that the studios and the actors or artists already make too much money. To that, I say that two-thirds of the soon-to-be-unemployed workers in North Carolina made less than $35,000 per year. Mostly, I just think that people who do illegal downloads have no other motivation than they want what they want, and they can get away with taking it.

    This is OT, and it was really more appropriate for the DVD ripping thread, but...I don't know. I'm sure most will just say, "**** him" and keep doing what they do. Fine. I've said what I feel needed to be said.
    Last edited by count55; 12-14-2008 at 10:25 PM.

  13. #4738
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    haven't seen slumdog yet (might go sometime this week) but definitely interested.

    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ... C-
    first of all, the movie ran nearly 3 hours - the editors could have sliced 60-90 minutes out of it and nobody would have noticed. obviously eric roth (screenwriter) embraces the whole 'wise elder reminds everybody about how important stories are and how life is all about taking chances' method of screenwriting; in a lot of ways this movie plays like the lovechild of Big Fish and Forrest Gump (the latter being another screenplay by roth). the whole thing is... well... curious because while it is decently directed (by david fincher, whose Zodiac, Fight Club and Se7en i enjoy) and decently acted, what we get is something flat, long, preachy and unfocused.

    i'll keep it purposefully vague for now until it's released.
    I was looking forward to seeing it. The trailer I think is fantastic

  14. #4739
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was looking forward to seeing it. The trailer I think is fantastic
    different strokes, different blokes. given the golden globe nominations, there are plenty of people who disagree with my perspective.

  15. #4740
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    different strokes, different blokes. given the golden globe nominations, there are plenty of people who disagree with my perspective.
    I tend to like the award winning type movies, so I think or at least hope to like it more than you. HAVE read it is too long though
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-14-2008 at 11:33 PM.

  16. #4741
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Yeah I will need to see at movie for sure too. Just wait till a tues after it is out for cheap movie night.

    I understand your comments there Count. But like you mentioned while I can get away with it I will. I just dont have a desire to see most movie more than once so I dont want to purchase them for far too much and renting is an option but I hate rental stores too. it is just more convenient this way. But I do understand your point of view and I am glad you expressed it. Always does make me think, but it wont make me stop.

  17. #4742
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Saw V

    For being a 5th installment I actually liked it. Explained a little bit of the back story but there is room for many more to come.

  18. #4743
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,520

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman8r View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah I will need to see at movie for sure too. Just wait till a tues after it is out for cheap movie night.

    I understand your comments there Count. But like you mentioned while I can get away with it I will. I just dont have a desire to see most movie more than once so I dont want to purchase them for far too much and renting is an option but I hate rental stores too. it is just more convenient this way. But I do understand your point of view and I am glad you expressed it. Always does make me think, but it wont make me stop.
    Don't take this as an insult because I do not intend it to be one, I am just making an observation based on past experiance.

    While downloading copyrighted content happens a great deal in the U.S., I'll say probably more than anywhere else in the world, it has been my experiance that for some reason Canadians tend to do it in greater % and overall have a far more miltant attitude about it when it is brought up.

    Again, I am not making any judgements about it. It's just an observation that I have from youtube and several other boards I visit.

    I don't know if copyright laws are the same up there as they are here.

    But let's not kid ourselves, it is horrid if not worse here in the U.S.

  19. #4744
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    It is hard to offend me so don't worry about that. And no the copyright laws are not the same to my understanding. We have much less harsh fines. I think up here if whomever finds copyright material on us we get a $500 fine for all of it. I know I have more than $500 worth of copyright material so I dont worry as much.

    There is just no precedent set here of anyone getting in trouble for copyright so there is no fear of getting caught. I honestly dont think of it as a crime. I know it is but to me it is like jaywalking.

    The Flock

    I solely downloaded this movie because Avril Lavigne is in it. I thought she had a bigger role but the 3 minutes she was in were not too bad. The movie as a whole was pretty good. Interesting and very unbelievable but it was a good waste of an hour and half. I wouldnt really recommend it to other people just because there wasnt really anything new in it. Just kind of blends into past movies I have seen.

  20. #4745
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Elegy

    Um yeah. Boring. The best of the movie was getting to see Penelope Cruz's breasts on a couple of occasions. It was slow, long and i just had a hard time getting into the story line. I am too much into action and murder and fast paced everything that when i movie that moves slowly comes along my attention span just isnt there. I made it through the movie but I almost turned it off after an hour when I realized there was still a lot of the movie left.

  21. #4746
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

    Didnt even know this movie existed until I read the Gloden Globe Nominations in the paper during the week and they mentioned this movie as the film that got Downie Jr back on track. I liked it a lot. Twists and turns, a good amount of murder and a very sexy pair of titties on an actress that I wanted to see them very badly so that makes this movie that much better. Val Kilmer was even good in this.

  22. #4747
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    i should start quoting Gay Perry more on here.

  23. #4748
    Member Knucklehead Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Gregory Peck -- Capt Horatio Hornblower, 1951
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

  24. #4749
    Member Wu-Gambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Avon, IN
    Posts
    429

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Reservoir Dogs - Thought it was pretty good, but I feel that Tarantino is pretty overrated. Looking at the IMDB TOp 250, I don't think it deserves to be ranked as high as 68.

    The Departed - Fourth time I've seen this movie, and it's one of my favorites. The performances are amazing, especially DiCaprio's. You really feel the amount of stress he goes under when he's an undercover.

  25. #4750
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,206
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Gambino View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Departed - Fourth time I've seen this movie, and it's one of my favorites. The performances are amazing, especially DiCaprio's. You really feel the amount of stress he goes under when he's an undercover.
    I agree that this flick is great and that Leo is good in it. I've always felt thought that Mark Wahlberg practically stole this movie. How he didn't win best supporting actor for this is beyond me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •