Page 189 of 349 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199239289 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,725 of 8722

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Me thinks I have posted this before.. Iron Man was ok, but the last scene just lost me, I thought I was watching Transformers..

Maybe I'm to harsh...

Wasen't a bad movie, but I have watched Batman like err 4 times now, well 3 1/2, diden't finish the last one.. and Iron Man, is just sitting there on all lonely, next to Waterworld...

Watched Hunger last night

Gripping storey about the IRA and there hunger strike in the early 80's

Good Movie, Enjoyed it in a sad way, worth watching if you like hearing about peoples beliefs, not so much religion but beliefs and motivation to act accordingly.

Some parts could have had some more infomation... but in the end it was all about Bobby Sands ( I think) and the side stories diden't play a big part..

Bit hard to hear at times, good Irish Accents, Directed by Steve McQueen

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Saw Slumdog Millionaire today. It was really good. I hope some of you have a chance to see it. Difficult to describe. I actually had never heard of it until I read it was voted best film of the year by the National Board of whatever it is.

Bolt

I really loved this. I'm a sucker for these movies. (Though I don't mean for that to discredit the movie - sure it was aimed at kids, but the writing was excellent [aside from when the plot had to be pushed along, and possibly aside from when they got a little too indulgent with the snobby writing-workshop critique-speak jokes]. I wish I could write dialogue like that.)
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

sweabs

Get Smart

It was a good recommendation from Newms. Step Brothers is on the agenda for tomorrow.

I don't see Iron Man and TDK as close. TDK was something special for comic book superhero movies. Iron Man was just a better than average super hero movie IMHO.

I think Ledger's Joker was excellent and made the movie into something special because it moved things into another realm. Harvey Dent... meh...

Holes? Yeah... but it's a comic book movie so worrying about how the Joker got explosives on a boat or in a hospital wasn't going to give me too much pause if I was already accepting a guy in a batsuit fighting crime and a wicked clown being a master criminal.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Oh man you are going to enjoy Step Brother there sweabs. Billy G.

Fun With Dick and Jane

Hadn't seen it before which actually surprised me. There were some good funny parts in it and over all I liked how it ended, just some of the middle I think they tended to jump to ridiculous a little fast but in a humourous way nonetheless. Not the best Jim Carrey movie but far from the worst *ahem* 23.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see Iron Man and TDK as close. TDK was something special for comic book superhero movies. Iron Man was just a better than average super hero movie IMHO.

I think Ledger's Joker was excellent and made the movie into something special because it moved things into another realm. Harvey Dent... meh...

Holes? Yeah... but it's a comic book movie so worrying about how the Joker got explosives on a boat or in a hospital wasn't going to give me too much pause if I was already accepting a guy in a batsuit fighting crime and a wicked clown being a master criminal.
    All this sums up why, to me, Iron Man was the more successfully executed endeavor.

All Iron Man wanted to do was be an awesome, kickass superhero movie with a bad-*** mo-fo flying around in a suit, smacking around one-dimensional bad guys and dropping witty/comical one liners. It knew exactly what it was to the point that it even included self-mockery like the Burger King product placement gag. And in it's attempt to be a summer blockbuster, big action, franchise-kick-starting, toy manufacturing endeavor, it was an overwhelming success.

The Dark Knight was a much more ambitious film. Yes...a film. It was attempting to speak to the audience on a much deeper level and include layers of nuance and social commentary -- not to mention the continual metaphors of "The Dark Knight" being a part of the human psyche' and how man has to deal with that.

Most good comics are fronts for higher ideals as part of their very makeup, sure. X-Men is at its heart about dealing with alienation. Superman is about justice and goodness. Etc.

But The Dark Knight tried to talk about many fundamental realities of life -- evil, loyalty, love, integrity and vengence, among others -- in a manner that traditional films do and used the drama of inter-personal relationships and the story arc of structured character development of both the protagonist and antagonist in an attempt to achieve these things.

When you attempt to do something like that, you are naturally going to engender more criticism -- and rightfully so. You can't attempt to speak philosophically about an ideal like vengeance for so much of the movie and then expect me to turn the other way when Harvey Dent's descent from irreproachable angel to sociopath is so absurdly quick -- and based upon a misunderstanding that any normal, social servent that we were led to believe he was for two straight hours would have talked out with Bat Man by saying "Why did you let her die?" and him replying "I actually tried to save her and let you die but Joker, that crafty villian, switched the address" and then Dent saying "Really? What a dick. Let's kill him."

It's really an overwhelmingly sloppy transition.

Had this been a comic book movie, I would overlook that crap -- just like I overlook the fact that there's no realistic way that Tony Stark could have made that suit in his cave with radioactive material he was using or some of the poorer aspects of X2 that I can't recall right now.

But The Dark Knight wasn't trying to be just a comic book movie -- it was attempting to be a deep film. And when your ambition is loftier, harsher criticism is warranted than when you're making tongue-in-cheek references about product placement and goofing around with robots to make little kids laugh.

I can think of many movies that speak to the concepts of vengeance, love-loss, balancing social responsiblity with personal desire and the other key aspects of The Dark Knight better than that movie did.

But I can't think of many movies that speak to the concepts of kicking-***, taking names, invincibility, HOLY **** THAT WAS AWESOME, guy-in-a-suit-flying-like-a-F22-Hornet, tryna bang your assistant, sly comedy, filing a hole in your chest with something bad-*** and the like any better than Iron Man did. (X2 notwithstanding.)
    Last edited by JayRedd; 12-09-2008 at 12:58 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I liked Iron Man but it had 2 major flaws for me.

First and foremost was I thought it was lacking in character development and evolution. We didn't learn a lot about the main protag before he was captured except he likes to sell guns, and his character didn't really change a whole lot - he was still an arrogant, self-centered twit. Yeah, he decided not to sell guns but I didn't see a real, believable character change.

Second is there was too much cornball. Dialogue that was stupid and just didn't work. Still an enjoyable action movie but guess what - I highly doubt I'll worry about a sequel, if there is one, except maybe to rent on a slow night.

I do think TDK overreached at times. The Joker was enough villain - didn't need to go into the Dent character. But for me it was still a much easier film to be immersed in and not get yanked out every time a piece of idiot dialogue slipped in.

In TDK the story was more important, I cared more about the characters, it fit together more logically until the final 20 minutes - just a weightier prduction in pretty much every aspect.
    Last edited by DisplacedKnick; 12-09-2008 at 02:42 PM.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow DK, you're one of the very, very, VERY few people I know that didn't love Iron Man. I didn't find any of the dialogue corny or out of place (watch Twilight if you want some of that), and the actors fit their comic counterparts damn near to a tee. My only main gripe was that it was not revealed that Obidiah was the one responsible for Howard Stark's death, establishing that he's always been a Judas.

TDK was great, but the pacing was a bit off, and there were some transition issues as well, none of which I noticed in IM. So the latter gets the nod for me.

I don't do comics so that may be my fatal character flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    All this sums up why, to me, Iron Man was the more successfully executed endeavor.

All Iron Man wanted to do was be an awesome, kickass superhero movie with a bad-*** mo-fo flying around in a suit, smacking around one-dimensional bad guys and dropping witty/comical one liners. It knew exactly what it was to the point that it even included self-mockery like the Burger King product placement gag. And in it's attempt to be a summer blockbuster, big action, franchise-kick-starting, toy manufacturing endeavor, it was an overwhelming success.

The Dark Knight was a much more ambitious film. Yes...a film. It was attempting to speak to the audience on a much deeper level and include layers of nuance and social commentary -- not to mention the continual metaphors of "The Dark Knight" being a part of the human psyche' and how man has to deal with that.

Most good comics are fronts for higher ideals as part of their very makeup, sure. X-Men is at its heart about dealing with alienation. Superman is about justice and goodness. Etc.

But The Dark Knight tried to talk about many fundamental realities of life -- evil, loyalty, love, integrity and vengence, among others -- in a manner that traditional films do and used the drama of inter-personal relationships and the story arc of structured character development of both the protagonist and antagonist in an attempt to achieve these things.

When you attempt to do something like that, you are naturally going to engender more criticism -- and rightfully so. You can't attempt to speak philosophically about an ideal like vengeance for so much of the movie and then expect me to turn the other way when Harvey Dent's descent from irreproachable angel to sociopath is so absurdly quick -- and based upon a misunderstanding that any normal, social servent that we were led to believe he was for two straight hours would have talked out with Bat Man by saying "Why did you let her die?" and him replying "I actually tried to save her and let you die but Joker, that crafty villian, switched the address" and then Dent saying "Really? What a dick. Let's kill him."

It's really an overwhelmingly sloppy transition.

Had this been a comic book movie, I would overlook that crap -- just like I overlook the fact that there's no realistic way that Tony Stark could have made that suit in his cave with radioactive material he was using or some of the poorer aspects of X2 that I can't recall right now.

But The Dark Knight wasn't trying to be just a comic book movie -- it was attempting to be a deep film. And when your ambition is loftier, harsher criticism is warranted than when you're making tongue-in-cheek references about product placement and goofing around with robots to make little kids laugh.

I can think of many movies that speak to the concepts of vengeance, love-loss, balancing social responsiblity with personal desire and the other key aspects of The Dark Knight better than that movie did.

But I can't think of many movies that speak to the concepts of kicking-***, taking names, invincibility, HOLY **** THAT WAS AWESOME, guy-in-a-suit-flying-like-a-F22-Hornet, tryna bang your assistant, sly comedy, filing a hole in your chest with something bad-*** and the like any better than Iron Man did. (X2 notwithstanding.)
    I hate to say it but that was a count55-esque post on these movies. Wow. Didn't think you had it in you.

Wow, several of you are really dissecting TDK and Iron Man. I look at it this way when I am judging those two movies. For 2 or 2.5 hours which one did I enjoy more - and for better or for worse I had a better time watching TDK on IMAX for 2.5 hours than I did watching Iron Man for 2 hours. I think for these two movies to really delve any deper is a waste of time.

Watching TDK on IMAX was one of the more memorable movie going experience I have had in my lifetime of watching movies. When it was over I said "that was a great movie" it was a fun experience

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I hate to say it but that was a count55-esque post on these movies. Wow. Didn't think you had it in you.
    JR, I wouldn't take that kind of insult if I were you.

sweabs

Step Brothers

It was awesome. I will probably watch it another 2 or 3 times in the next month.

Yes I knew you would love it. Will we have to watch it at my place when you are home.

sweabs

Aaron Russo's America: Freedom to Fascism

Verrrrrry good. I had seen the last bit on the New World Order before...I don't remember where. But I enjoyed watching the documentary in its entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    Step Brothers

It was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    Aaron Russo's America: Freedom to Fascism

Verrrrrry good.
    You can't be same guy.

Hancock - Liked it better than I expected. Action was solid, good pace, got to like the characters as things went on. A little corny but OK.

Strangers - Well, I give 'em props for trying to build suspense but IMO it just moved slow. The empty space seemed just like space to me - not tension-building. But at least it wasn't a pure hack and slash. Wouldn't recommend it though, even with Liv Tyler.

Oddly enough, DK, those were the last two "new movies" I've seen, and I saw them on the same day - the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Quite the coincidence. I share your thoughts on both movies as well.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    You can't be same guy.
    All depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Believe it or not, I do venture outside the realm of "counting" (despite what my PD-mood says).

Come on. You don't like sitting down to watch a stupid movie like Step Brothers every now and then?

Did you just call Step Brothers a stupid movie? I officially hate you more than Ian Blay.

Step Brothers

Had to watch it again after reading that sweabs watched it. It was my 3rd go and I still find the beginning so funny that I laugh out loud by myself every time.

sweabs

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Anyone else seen this? Great documentary on steroids and their place in American culture.

Ghost Town

I enjoyed it a great deal. I am a big fan of Ricky Gervais and anything he does so I might be a bit biased but it was a good story told well with a good amount of humour injected into it. Predictable at some parts but for the most parts it was a surprise around each corner.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Grindhouse, an instant classic for me. Nothing better than a bowl of spicy chili and a Bud and Grindhouse.

Lakeview Terrace

I liked it. Couldnt predict it so that was a good thing. Though it was going to be a different movie for the most part. Produced by Will Smith which was a surprise when I saw it. Not cause of the style but I dodnt know he was into production. Samuel jackson played a good character. I hated him.