Page 183 of 344 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193233283 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,575 of 8592

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

W.
    Fairly good. Definitely recommend it. Especially for scholars of U.S. foreign policy such as myself. It's fascinating to contrast this with Thirteen Days and see how our perception/presidential cabinets have changed since the Kennedys. That being said, this is a movie about George Bush the man first and foremost.

Tropic Thunder

I liked it more than I expected. If I hadnt read that Tom Cruise was in this movie I wouln't have put it together so quickly. I would recommend it. Sweabs make it a DL priority O.N.E.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    W.
    Fairly good. Definitely recommend it. Especially for scholars of U.S. foreign policy such as myself. It's fascinating to contrast this with Thirteen Days and see how our perception/presidential cabinets have changed since the Kennedys. That being said, this is a movie about George Bush the man first and foremost.
    Thirteen Days is one of my favorite films. I think it should be required viewing in high school history classes.

I've heard mixed stuff about W. but I'm obviously going to see it. Ad it's not that I've heard anyone say it's bad per se...more so that it's just sort of the "bad timing" for it in the sense that it would have been funnier a year ago pre-Obama/McCain and the financial crisis or it would be more of a good look-back in another year or two. As it is, I've heard it just kind of has a lame-duck aura, which is both reflective of the way it was presented and the current national atmosphere. Wrong film at the wrong time, I guess is what I've mostly heard...but still well done -- especially Brolin and Dreyfus.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    W.

really? hmmm...

W. ... C-
    really didn't enjoy this. it just felt slapped together - a series of stories scattered like buckshot without bothering to really find a solid narrative. it plays like a cliff's notes re-enactment of a bob woodward book / maureen dowd column hybrid. i was disappointed because there are a handful of great stories for films about this man: his administration, the Iraq war, the Bush family complex, etc. stone chooses to use the daddy/jeb inferiority but only superficially - he never fully commits to telling that story just has james cromwell keep saying "i'm disappointed, junior." performances were equally mixed. brolin gave a great performance. i enjoyed dreyfuss also. the rest were just caricatures (especially condi). as for the timing question:
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 10-20-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: ****-tastic spelling
    This is the darkest timeline.

Mood

Frankly, I'm avoiding W. because the trailers/clips I've seen make Bush look ridiculous. And coming from me (a left-leaning independent), that's saying something.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Frankly, I'm avoiding W. because the trailers/clips I've seen make Bush look ridiculous. And coming from me (a left-leaning independent), that's saying something.
    i'd actually say the opposite is true. the trailer does make it seem absurdist (slow-motion pretzel choking and all) but stone is oddly even-handed and brolin isn't a will ferrell-esque imitation of W., plays him sympathetically even.

I just think making a movie about someone while he's still in office is goofy.

I may rent it 5 years from now.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

ATC, that's surprising to read given the clips I've seen which make him look like he has an IQ of 12.

Stone manages to make him incredibly sympathetic. There were a couple of scenes with his father where my girlfriend, a die-hard liberal, got incredibly choked up...like it was a Hugh Grant movie or something.

Honestly, Brolin does as good a job as I think any actor could do portraying W.

Midnight Run

Havent seen Charles Grodin since the Beethoven movies. It was much better than I had thought but very different at the same time. Some of the scenes felt very familiar so I am now wondering if I have watched this before when I was younger. I have a feeling that I have but since I couldnt remember no harm in watching it now. Always funny to see DeNiro in his earlier works.

Deer Hunter

Wow. Umm long. It was good but I think I am used to movies being shorter now. That was close to 3 hours. The acting was good and the story was good but the length just killed me.

Dance of the Dead

I thought it was going to suck big time and be a waste of my time since I read what it was about and it said it was a Zombie movie and the kids who didnt go to the prom have to save the town. Don't know why I downloaded it, don't know why I watched it but considering my expectations were so low turns out I enjoyed it. I wouldnt watch it again but one viewing wasn't too bad. All of the deaths were gory and gross which is a favourite of mine.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm gonna run through the Saw flicks again in preparation for Saw V this weekend.

I watched one of the Grindhouse flicks "Death Proof"

I admit, I thought the talk talk talk talk talk talk dialogue was a little overdone. It's pretty much pointless. You're not really missing much if you skim over most of it. It's just filler between the 'action' scenes.

During the first part of the movie there are scratches and intentional splices in the movie to give it that feel of a well worn reel playing at a Drive-in theater. I 'get' that, what I didn't get was why halfway thru the movie it went B/W at a RANDOM point. Not on a scene change or anything like that... instead a scene just went from color to B/W. Then a few minutes later it went back to color just as randomly. And I don't recall any more of the added scratches or splices during the 2nd half of the movie. Not sure why Tarantino would think they were cool for half the movie and not all of it.

OK.... for the first half of the movie I thought all the dialogue must have a point so I dealt with it. Then we got to the action and realize the dialogue was pointless (IMHO). Then that all led to the 2nd part of the movie and after a while I was searching for the remote to fast forward thru some of the talk talk talk talk. But, alas, the remote was out of reach so I dealt with it.

Once the movie wrapped I wasn't totally letdown. It was a Tarantino flick and most people know what they'll get with a Tarantino flick. If I'd had the remote and fast forwarded thru sections of the movie, it wouldn't mattered at all.

This movie would probably be best enjoyed late at night found on HBO while randomly scanning channels rather than planning an evening around it and renting it.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Fugitive

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I watched one of the Grindhouse flicks "Death Proof"

I admit, I thought the talk talk talk talk talk talk dialogue was a little overdone. It's pretty much pointless. You're not really missing much if you skim over most of it. It's just filler between the 'action' scenes.

During the first part of the movie there are scratches and intentional splices in the movie to give it that feel of a well worn reel playing at a Drive-in theater. I 'get' that, what I didn't get was why halfway thru the movie it went B/W at a RANDOM point. Not on a scene change or anything like that... instead a scene just went from color to B/W. Then a few minutes later it went back to color just as randomly. And I don't recall any more of the added scratches or splices during the 2nd half of the movie. Not sure why Tarantino would think they were cool for half the movie and not all of it.

OK.... for the first half of the movie I thought all the dialogue must have a point so I dealt with it. Then we got to the action and realize the dialogue was pointless (IMHO). Then that all led to the 2nd part of the movie and after a while I was searching for the remote to fast forward thru some of the talk talk talk talk. But, alas, the remote was out of reach so I dealt with it.

Once the movie wrapped I wasn't totally letdown. It was a Tarantino flick and most people know what they'll get with a Tarantino flick. If I'd had the remote and fast forwarded thru sections of the movie, it wouldn't mattered at all.

This movie would probably be best enjoyed late at night found on HBO while randomly scanning channels rather than planning an evening around it and renting it.
    You really need to watch Grindhouse in it's entirety to enjoy it at it's fullest, along with all the faux movie trailers and whatnot that was cut from the shameful DVD releases.

I agree with Shade.

I saw the movie twice in movie theaters, I really enjoyed it. I was so disappointed when they separated it for the DVD's not even worth it.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

Mood

Predator.

It had been a long time since I'd really sat down to watch it all the way through (even breaking it up over a few days as I did now).

Great flick for what it was trying to be. Fun to watch it on BD, too. Doesn't compare to the quality of modern BD's, but it still looked and sounded better than I'd ever seen it, and it was cool to watch on a 42" HDTV instead of a 26" or smaller regular TV.

I wonder how a movie like Predator would do in 2008. It probably holds up decent.

Alien, I think would bore people because of the amount of inaction in the beginning.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I finally saw Iron Man. I liked it a lot. It was very good. Its great to see that Robert Downey Jr. was able to get his career back on track cause he was excellent in this movie. And I want Tony Stark's garage. not for the iron man and super computer, hes got a sick set of cars there.

"Before the Devil Knows You're Dead"

Very good acting and a topless Marisa Tomei couldn't hurt any movie... BUT can someone make a movie that has a continuity to it and not jump back and forth in the story? This movie also did the "Vantage Point" schtick where just as you think you're getting somewhere it abruptly stops and picks up at another point in time, usually from another character's point of view.

In the case of "Vantage Point" the pacing was fast whereas this movie is more of a slow build. I don't have a problem with movies that build slowly if there's a payoff at the end, but this one kept stripping me from the moment with its constant change in time and perspective (each time giving you a little more of the story).

I think the movie was good... but not great. Once again, the pieces were there for a much better movie (IMHO) but it just didn't get to the screen.

I don't have a problem with a movie that shows you the 'end' up front and then goes back and shows you what led to that end for the meat of the movie. You THINK that's what this one is doing... but it continues to jump around and, for me, just ripped me from the moment and was distracting.

Your mileage may vary...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

watched Journey to the Center of the earth

Truly a horrible movie. No idea why they decided to make this movie. The plot device were so transparent - obvious they had trouble makin the movie 90 minutes long

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I just think making a movie about someone while he's still in office is goofy.

I may rent it 5 years from now.
    I've always wondered how people got away with that, anyhow. I know he's a public figure, but if someone's going to make a movie about me, I want (a) my permission to be required first, and (2) royalties.

I have no intention of ever seeing W., though. The trailer looks really, really bad.

Pineapple Express

Very entertaining. There were a lot of random funny lines and scenes while the guys were high. I was expecting it to end differently but I liked it nonetheless. It will be one of the few movies that I save on my external hard drive.

Fracture

I have had this on my computer for months and I finally watched it out of necessity for needed the room on my external hard drive. I thought it was going to be long and boring. It certainly was long but far from boring. I was actually quite entertained throughout and I enjoyed the ending which I usually dont do in movies.