Page 179 of 346 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189229279 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,475 of 8640

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

City Of Men

Done by the same people that brought us the amazing City Of God. It was not as good as City of God but it was still a solid movie.

The Promotion

Meh

Jackass 2

Watched it again cause it is so good.

The Cleaner. An argument based on this film could be made that there isn't much difference between Sam L. Jackson and Danny Glover.

Also...
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Hitch

Yep, just now

Wedding Crashers

Movie was decent (for what it was), it dragged at certain points though. The movie was really long at a little over 2 hours, and they definitely could have cut that down.

"Eddie and the Cruisers II: Eddie Lives" (this has been released as a 2 sided DVD with Eddie and the Cruisers I and Eddie and the Cruisers II on the same disc).

For those that don't remember, way back when there was a movie called "Eddie and the Cruisers". It was based on a fictional 60's rock band and their driven leader "Eddie Wilson".
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    The original film was probably a bust at the box office (though I don't recall for sure) but it became a cult classic once it hit the cable movie channels. It made for a few hits for the band that actually provided the soundtrack for the movie.

It was one of those movies that from the outside looking in had nothing going for it (simple story, ample opportunities for cliches), but once you started watching it something about it pulled you in. Maybe it was "Eddie's" (Michael Pare's) passion for the music and the intensity he portrayed. Maybe it was the music itself. It was just one of those movies that's sum was greater than its parts. Easy to watch... easy to follow... didn't pretend to be something it wasn't... no never ending hype to leave you expecting too much. It just entertained.

Sooooooo apparently they made a sequel and quite frankly, I had no idea it existed.

FWIW, as much as the title of the movie "Eddie Lives" could be considered a spoiler it's not necessarily.... "Eddie Lives" is the name his former record label used to promote some previously unreleased music that they had recently acquired. ...There are flashbacks utilized as well as a few 'new' scenes filling in some holes from before.

I don't think the sequel was as good as the original... but again... there was a certain charm and appeal to the sequel and I can't put my finger on it.
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    They (record company) wanted to create a buzz that maybe he wasn't really dead to really ramp up interest in the 'new' previously unreleased material.

The new band members couldn't have been more cliched and just a notch over the line... and yet still there was a certain charm with the movie.

As a stand alone... I don't know how it would play but for anyone that watched the first one and liked it, I think you'll like this one too... IF you don't expect -too- much. I think the strength of both of these movies is that they just kept them simple and Michael Pare found his perfect role.

Pop some corn, turn the lights off, and put the DVD in. You could do worse...

Music is John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band.
    Last edited by Bball; 09-02-2008 at 04:02 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

The Green Mile

Great movie. It was on TV and I was watching it during commercials and I caught just about all the parts you think about when watching the movie. It is just a great film.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Eddie and the Cruisers II: Eddie Lives" (this has been released as a 2 sided DVD with Eddie and the Cruisers I and Eddie and the Cruisers II on the same disc).

For those that don't remember, way back when there was a movie called "Eddie and the Cruisers". It was based on a fictional 60's rock band and their driven leader "Eddie Wilson".
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    The original film was probably a bust at the box office (though I don't recall for sure) but it became a cult classic once it hit the cable movie channels. It made for a few hits for the band that actually provided the soundtrack for the movie.

It was one of those movies that from the outside looking in had nothing going for it (simple story, ample opportunities for cliches), but once you started watching it something about it pulled you in. Maybe it was "Eddie's" (Michael Pare's) passion for the music and the intensity he portrayed. Maybe it was the music itself. It was just one of those movies that's sum was greater than its parts. Easy to watch... easy to follow... didn't pretend to be something it wasn't... no never ending hype to leave you expecting too much. It just entertained.

Sooooooo apparently they made a sequel and quite frankly, I had no idea it existed.

FWIW, as much as the title of the movie "Eddie Lives" could be considered a spoiler it's not necessarily.... "Eddie Lives" is the name his former record label used to promote some previously unreleased music that they had recently acquired. ...There are flashbacks utilized as well as a few 'new' scenes filling in some holes from before.

I don't think the sequel was as good as the original... but again... there was a certain charm and appeal to the sequel and I can't put my finger on it.
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    They (record company) wanted to create a buzz that maybe he wasn't really dead to really ramp up interest in the 'new' previously unreleased material.

The new band members couldn't have been more cliched and just a notch over the line... and yet still there was a certain charm with the movie.

As a stand alone... I don't know how it would play but for anyone that watched the first one and liked it, I think you'll like this one too... IF you don't expect -too- much. I think the strength of both of these movies is that they just kept them simple and Michael Pare found his perfect role.

Pop some corn, turn the lights off, and put the DVD in. You could do worse...

Music is John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band.

Ah yes Michael Pare.

I can't get past this classic.

Funny thing is there are a lot of actors in this movie who went on to big careers. William Dafoe, Diane Lane, Rick Moranis, Amy Madigan, Robert Townsend & Bill Paxton.

Although the movie was awful, the soundtrack really wasn't that bad. I liked the meatloaf version of nowhere fast much better though.

I never even heard of Streets of Fire. Now I wonder if I need to watch it just to so I don't miss out on some pop trivia question down the road? I gotta say... when the trailer sucks that bad you KNOW the movie doesn't have much hope!

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I never even heard of Streets of Fire. Now I wonder if I need to watch it just to so I don't miss out on some pop trivia question down the road? I gotta say... when the trailer sucks that bad you KNOW the movie doesn't have much hope!

-Bball
    you should never deprive yourself of seeing a movie that sports both ducktails and mullets.

Cars

Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone.

Had to sit through the new Babylon movie over the weekend - truly a wretched movie. It was almost like they didn't try

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Ah yes Michael Pare.

I can't get past this classic.

Funny thing is there are a lot of actors in this movie who went on to big careers. William Dafoe, Diane Lane, Rick Moranis, Amy Madigan, Robert Townsend & Bill Paxton.

Although the movie was awful, the soundtrack really wasn't that bad. I liked the meatloaf version of nowhere fast much better though.

-Bball
    When the movie was in production, they approached Bruce Springsteen to see if they could use his song of the same name (from the "Darkness on the Edge of Town" album).

He refused.

Vantage Point. Complete waste of my time. Had the bad guy figured out within 2 minutes. There was a decent car chase but that was pretty much it.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Vantage Point. Complete waste of my time. Had the bad guy figured out within 2 minutes. There was a decent car chase but that was pretty much it.
    Yeah, that was pretty obvious, but I thought it passed the time.

However, it still doesn't match "General's Daughter" for most obvious bad guy. Timothy Hutton came on the screen, and I turned to my wife and said, "he did it".

I'd like to add that the most obvious bad guy candidate would have to be Keifer Sutherland in Phone Booth, it was made during the height of 24 Mania and my flatmate ruined it after the first call, maybe we were supposed to know, I can't recall but it seemed bizarre at the time and still does.

Watched Felon last night, I enjoyed the movie, worth watching that’s for sure, it's about a successful self employed family man accidentally kills a home intruder and documents what happens after and his battles in the penitentiary system after he pleads guilty to involuntary manslaughter. Features Stephen Dorff and Val Kilmer in a supporting role

Watched Love Guru also last night, didn’t do anything for me, Mike Myers is losing his touch, not very funny but others may disagree

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Dream Big

Evan Almighty.

Meh.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    last movie i watched was vantage point - a film so pointless, ill-conceived, frustrating and overall terrible.
    i said this a while ago but i do think that the movie is so pointless, ill-conceived, frustrating, and overall terrible that it deserves discussion.

the premise of the movie holds up for about the length of the trailer. when shifted to feature-length it completely falls apart quickly.

sigourney weaver starts the film off as the producer of a 24hr news network. the symbolism to the rest of the film (albeit fairly obvious) is effective - watching the president shot and the explosion from many feeds in the truck. weaver should be commended - she recites her lines, adds some inflection, but never misrepresents the script/dialogue as actually being good.

then rewind 20 minutes. literally. rewind noises and everything. classy.

we rewind 20 minutes to see dennis quaid - which most likely means kevin costner was busy. he's a secret service agent who is recovering from taking a bullet for the president -- which more than anything illustrates just how ****ty these people are at their jobs to have an attempt on the President's life then immediately let it happen again. quaid proceeds to pretend to act nervous, let the president get shot and then tackle the first foreign person he sees. the man claims to be a spanish police officer. the secret service believes him to be the assassin because they assume that after shooting the president with a high-powered sniper rifle, the killer would immediately jump out of a third-story window and sprint on stage to make sure he was dead.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWIND

we meet forrest whitaker who is playing an estranged father and creeps everyone out by knocking over the ice cream cone of a young girl and INSISTING on buying another. i imagine this is to illustrate his love for his own estranged children and how he misses them but it just comes off as somewhat pedophilic. mainly what this demonstrates is despite his oscar for idi amin, this is still the man that signed up for travolta's scientology propaganda film.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWIND

ahh hahaha -- now you see the president wasn't shot. it was a stunt-double. the president is safe in a hotel.

but wait -- ahh hahaha -- the terrorists KNOW this and PLANNED for this. they killed the stunt-double anyway. then set off the bomb under the stage.

quick question: just from a practical standpoint why shoot the president then like 5 minutes later set off a bomb? why create chaos sending the crowd off running THEN blow the place up? it's a little like unloading a 12 gauge into the air to corral everyone in for a group photo.

but back to the terrorists real goal: killing everyone and kidnapping the president. the terrorists force a special ops guy into helping them by kidnapping his brother. the special ops guy gets to the president and kills the secret service team with ease - because when hiring security the more inept the better. the ops guy demands that the terrorists release his brother. little does he know that they have already killed his brother, yet another example of the time-honored lesson: never trust a terrorist. besides they needed his special ops skills: wouldn't his time be better spent rescuing his brother from the terrorists' compound instead of killing somewhere near 7000 ridiculously terrible secret service agents, drugging and kidnapping the president? sometimes special ops dude, we bring these things on ourselves.

the finer, umm, nuances of the story aren't worth the time so basically what happens is the president is kidnapped and put into an ambulance. the little spanish girl whitaker obesses about looking for her mother after the explosion wanders around the city and decides to look in the middle of a busy street. whitaker himself decided to chase the spanish police officer who escaped that crack secret service team's clutches to chase after his ex-girlfriend (who he discovers is one of the terrorists) and witnesses the officer who is almost run over by cars no less than 50 times ultimately get shot under the bridge. whitaker then sees the little girl in the middle of the street and the speeding ambulance heading towards her. so he tries the rescue the girl. the ambulance tries to swerve to miss the girl in a bizarre attempt to keep these terrorists from being completely one-dimensional (?). the ambulance crashes, whitaker saves the girl and quaid who has been following rescues the president.

basically the screenwriter dug himself a hole and in order for an ending to make sense, makes a character act completely outside the realm of logic. in this case it is the spanish girl who decides to look for her mother MILES away from where she last saw her AND in the middle of a busy street. what other illogical and dangerous locations could her mother be hiding at? did she check broken glass avenue or look in used syringe park?

also why bother having the terrorists try to avoid hitting the girl? they already set a bomb off where she and her mother had been? they've shown no resistance to killing everyone else in sight. why not just go for gold here? what is stopping them at this point?

these characters and their various motivations are so illogical and ridiculous it actually hurts me. never see this movie. never. ever. no.

to sum up: vantage point is pointless, ill-conceived, frustrating and overall terrible.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 09-06-2008 at 01:35 PM.
    This is the darkest timeline.

That was editing-room-esque, atc. Nicely done.

Good stuff. I find the following hard to believe, however.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    we rewind 20 minutes to see dennis quaid - which most likely means kevin costner was busy.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

What that Kevin Quaid and Dennis Costner aren't the same actors or that Kevin Costner was busy?
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

What got me is that nothing was added by having 5 (or was it 6?) different "vantage points." I mean NOTHING. No hidden clues or mysteries - by the third viewing I was ready to FF through the rest of them and see if anything was going to happen - at all.

I felt like someone in a film class where someone had shot a 30-minute film from several different angles so it could be dissected in class.

Plus this film brought out at least two career-worst performances. Forrest Whitaker? Career worst. I think it MAY have been Dennis Quaid's too though I remember another film that he was in that was really bad (actually I don't remember it - I just remember that he was in a really bad film) but even then I remember thinking that Quaid's performace was OK.

And why was someone like Weaver in that role? Any schmuck could have done a static monotone line-recitation - heck, I could have done that. Only Matthew Fox's performance didn't suck among the name stars. Ayulet Zarir (sp?) didn't totally blow dead rodents but she wasn't good.

Dumb film which the concept made dumber. But I'll still defend the car chase. So about 7 minutes of it was OK.

It just seems like they gave up on the vantage point idea in the end. And like DK said, what's the point of different vantage points when all we needed was Dennis Quaid's? He figured it all out by himself. Yes, he needed Forest Whitaker's camera and the newsroom but otherwise he had it all figured out. What was the point?

After this travesty, no one should ever dare to call Memento gimicky again.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    It just seems like they gave up on the vantage point idea in the end. And like DK said, what's the point of different vantage points when all we needed was Dennis Quaid's? He figured it all out by himself. Yes, he needed Forest Whitaker's camera and the newsroom but otherwise he had it all figured out. What was the point?

After this travesty, no one should ever dare to call Memento gimicky again.
    Memento was a very good film because the way it was patched together actually meant something - there was a puzzle in there and each piece drew you deeper into it and drove it to a solution.

This? Like you said, WTF was the point?

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Good stuff. I find the following hard to believe, however.
    how about " - which most likely means they couldn't afford kevin costner."

Plus this film brought out at least two career-worst performances. Forrest Whitaker?
    street kings is right up there too -- 2008 was not kind to ker

And why was someone like Weaver in that role? Any schmuck could have done a static monotone line-recitation - heck, I could have done that.
    if you see Hamlet 2 you'll see a significantly worse example in david arquette
    This is the darkest timeline.