Page 144 of 340 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154194244 ... LastLast
Results 3,576 to 3,600 of 8494

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Heartbreak Kid

A lot better than it looks. It was funnier than I thought. More boobs than I thought. And more inappropriate than I thought as well. I would suggest checking it out.

Oh and the Counting Thread is coming for you Movie thread. So start sweating.

Saw IV

very typical saw movie.

War

Interesting. Action packed, story line kinda dragged a bit. It was ok. I wouldnt watch it again.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

"In the Valley of Ellah". Good movie, but you have to really be in the mood as it's not as easy to digest because of the style of filming and directing (slow-paced, very very sober, very much away from action-thrillers and the like). Good character building though and gives a nice picture of some of the things our young people have to go through in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Again not an "easy" movie. No doubt a lot of people will think it's boring or whatever, but I thought the style fit very well.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Karla

It is about Karla Homoka and Paul Bernardo. It starts Laura Prepon or Donna from That 70's Show. It was a good movie. I am from Canada and totally didnt know this whole story. I knew the names but none of the story behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "In the Valley of Ellah". Good movie, but you have to really be in the mood as it's not as easy to digest because of the style of filming and directing (slow-paced, very very sober, very much away from action-thrillers and the like). Good character building though and gives a nice picture of some of the things our young people have to go through in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Again not an "easy" movie. No doubt a lot of people will think it's boring or whatever, but I thought the style fit very well.

Regards,

Mourning
    It was a really good movie - should have figured you would like it also. Tommy Lee Jones was excellent. As you say it isn't a thrill a minute type movie - very somber. The message was clearly anti-war which is to be expected, I didn't like the little hints of anti-americianism. But it was a well made movie.

Edit: Watched "Transformers" over the weekend. Or I should say I watched the first 45 minutes. Of course it is a Michael Bay movie. I should have known, I honestly forget he directed it. I had to turn it off after 45 minutes, told the person I was watching it, I had seen enough. Horrible movie
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-11-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

As good as ever. One of my favorites and two of my favorite actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    It was a really good movie - should have figured you would like it also. Tommy Lee Jones was excellent. As you say it isn't a thrill a minute type movie - very somber. The message was clearly anti-war which is to be expected, I didn't like the little hints of anti-americianism. But it was a well made movie.

Edit: Watched "Transformers" over the weekend. Or I should say I watched the first 45 minutes. Of course it is a Michael Bay movie. I should have known, I honestly forget he directed it. I had to turn it off after 45 minutes, told the person I was watching it, I had seen enough. Horrible movie

That movie rocked. You can't really appreciate it unless you really watched the cartoons
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I appreciated it, and I didn't watch the cartoons at all. I don't mind a good Michael Bay rip-roaring good time. It is, after all, supposed to be entertainment.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Please expound on why you didn't like Transformers. What did you really expect?

Blue Chips

Sooooooo good.

"What'd we buy em, Happy? We bought kids cars. We bought em a house. We bought one kid a tractor." Nolte is amazing. And Cousy shoulda gotten the Oscar for "Best Free-Throw Performance by a Supporting Actor." My favorite part, however, is finding out that Tony passed TV. That really is heartwarming.

As for Transformers, yeah, some of it was certainly dumb. The whole John Turturro part comes to mind (and I normally love Turturro). But that whole part kind of dragged, seemed a little unnecessary and definitely could have been done better. But overall it was still a pretty good movie. By far the best CGI I've ever seen. There's not even a close second.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Michael Clayton

It was a bit confusing in the beginning as to which story line they were trying to go with - but it cleared up towards the end...it wasn't bad - but wouldn't watch it again...

as for the Transformers debacle - its one of those summer flicks that you'll either love or hate....personally i liked it and have watched it about 6 times so far and I can understand why some people wouldn't really like it - for the kid inside me who grew up with Transformers as well as the current adult who thinks Megan Fox is hot - I adore the movie! there I've said it

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    Please expound on why you didn't like Transformers. What did you really expect?
    Although action movies aren't my favorite genre, I certainly like some action movies, the Bourne movies (especially the last two were excellent). the first "Die Hard" was great, the last one was enjoyable. Loved "Aliens". "Batman Returns" was outstanding. Point I'm making is I do like action movies. But I hate Michael Bay movies. "Armegeddon" is my alltime most hated movie - it was disgusting. The camera never stops, the music, stupid characters. It is all style and no substance.

And then when I was watching "Transformers" I was having flashbacks, about 10 minutes in I was saying to myself this feels like a Michael Bay film, but I was hoping it wasn't, but then it became obvious, finally I couldn't take it another second. Finally said I can't watch anymore, we need to do something else.

I know there is another post in this thread where I ripped Michael Bay films.

Here is what I wrote last summer, and it applies to "Transformers"
    Last summer I saw the second Pirates movie and hated it. I felt like I was on a roller coaster for 2 and a half hours straight and they wouldn't let me off of it. Most movies today are too much non-stop action for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, I like something to happen in the movie, but if I don't care about the characters - then I don't care about what I'm watching.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-12-2008 at 08:55 AM.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Although action movies aren't my favorite genre, I certainly like some action movies, the Bourne movies (especially the last two were excellent). the first "Die Hard" was great, the last one was enjoyable. Loved "Aliens". "Batman Returns" was outstanding. Point I'm making is I do like action movies. But I hate Michael Bay movies. "Armegeddon" is my alltime most hated movie - it was disgusting. The camera never stops, the music, stupid characters. It is all style and no substance.

And then when I was watching "Transformers" I was having flashbacks, about 10 minutes in I was saying to myself this feels like a Michael Bay film, but I was hoping it wasn't, but then it became obvious, finally I couldn't take it another second. Finally said I can't watch anymore, we need to do something else.

Last summer I saw the second Pirates movie and hated it. I felt like I was on a roller coaster for 2 and a half hours straight and they wouldn't let me off of it. Most movies today are too much non-stop action for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, I like something to happen in the movie, but if I don't care about the characters - then I don't care about what I'm watching.
    Barvo! Basically where I am at too... I would have to make an exception for "Transfomers" though, which I enjoyed, though I almost felt disgust for some reason in the end where one of the main characters takes a motor bike and let's it slip and slide under one of the Decepticons to be able to fire an RPG or an underslung grenadelauncher (not sure what it was... I must be getting old ) at one of it's weakespots and then acts all "tough/cool". Dunno, seemed so unrealistic someone would do something like that and act like that.

I also thought the humour at the house of the main characters parents with the Autobots walking around there seemed rather ... "dumb".

For the rest I enjoyed it. Great CGI and nice sequences, nice length and ahem..., Belissimo was right, great chick .

Not on par with "Aliens" or "Die Hard", but not bad compared to some of the other crap around (like "Edison" wow! BAD!!!!!!).

Btw saw "Sunshine" again yesterday... definitely one of my favorite movies at this moment.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

I would have to agree that Bay has some very bad camera angles in this movie as well - which was irritating me...

as for character development - in regards to Transformers - it would have been a lot better to develop the TRANSFORMERS instead of the human characters - hello...thats what the movie is supposed to be about in the first place!!!!

"Sunshine"? - I'll have to check that out

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Barvo! Basically where I am at too... I would have to make an exception for "Transfomers" though, which I enjoyed, though I almost felt disgust for some reason in the end where one of the main characters takes a motor bike and let's it slip and slide under one of the Decepticons to be able to fire an RPG or an underslung grenadelauncher (not sure what it was... I must be getting old ) at one of it's weakespots and then acts all "tough/cool". Dunno, seemed so unrealistic someone would do something like that and act like that.

I also thought the humour at the house of the main characters parents with the Autobots walking around there seemed rather ... "dumb".

For the rest I enjoyed it. Great CGI and nice sequences, nice length and ahem..., Belissimo was right, great chick .

Not on par with "Aliens" or "Die Hard", but not bad compared to some of the other crap around (like "Edison" wow! BAD!!!!!!).

Btw saw "Sunshine" again yesterday... definitely one of my favorite movies at this moment.

Regards,

Mourning
    That was unrealistic during a movie about alien robots who can transform from vehicles and planes into robots and fight each other over a magical cube that was hidden on Earth by building Hoover Dam around it? HEHE....Sorry, that just struck me as odd.

I don't think you can have it both ways. The whole movie was unrealistic....

I can understand not liking the way someone shoots a film. That is understandable, although I can't say that I've ever noticed it before when watching a Michael Bay movie.

I think my ability to watch movies is a unique one. Sometimes I give movies a critical eye and sometimes I just get lost in the fantasy of the story and let things slide. I'm not trying to be hypocritical. Sometimes I rip movies for what I see as errors that seem to take away from being able to just watch it and accept what's happening without being critical, sometimes I can look past the errors and just enjoy the movie, however unrealistic and implausible it may be.

Maybe it just depends on the mood I'm in when I watch it? I would think it is more dependent on how well I can identify with or get into liking the characters/story....I don't know how to explain it.

I didn't have any problems with Transformers other than thinking the Joh Turturro character was kinda dumb and not done very well. And I normally love Turturro as well. (My favorite character from him lately is his role in Anger Management.)

Not to turn this into a the Michael Bay thread - but here is a list of movies he has directed.

2012: The War for Souls (2010) (in production)
    Transformers 2 (2009) (announced)

Transformers (2007)
    The Island (2005)
    The Lionel Richie Collection (2003) (V) (video "Do It to Me")
    Bad Boys II (2003)
    Pearl Harbor (2001)

Armageddon (1998/I)
    The Rock (1996)
    Bad Boys (1995)
    Shadows and Light: From a Different View (1992) (V)
    Great White: My... My... My... the Video Collection (1991) (V) (video "Call It Rock N' Roll")
    Playboy Video Centerfold: Kerri Kendall (1990) (V)

Transformers
    The special effects in that movie kicked ***.

The story development needed something, but overall the movie made it up with all the whiz bangs and fast moving action.

Not to turn this into a the Michael Bay thread - but here is a list of movies he has directed.

2012: The War for Souls (2010) (in production)
    Transformers 2 (2009) (announced)

Transformers (2007)
    The Island (2005)

The Lionel Richie Collection (2003) (V) (video "Do It to Me")
    Bad Boys II (2003)
    Pearl Harbor (2001)

Armageddon (1998/I)
    The Rock (1996)

Bad Boys (1995)
    Shadows and Light: From a Different View (1992) (V)
    Great White: My... My... My... the Video Collection (1991) (V) (video "Call It Rock N' Roll")
    Playboy Video Centerfold: Kerri Kendall (1990) (V)
    The bolded movies I really liked. Not so sure about the two Bad Boys movies...I liked them okay, but can't really get into Martin as a cop/action guy. Will Smith is the only redeeming thing about both.

Armageddon was a little cheesy, but again, I could make that leap of faith and get into the characters. Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Steve Buscemi, Owen Wilson, Billy Bob Thornton, Liv Tyler, Michael Clarke Duncan...all easy to like actors, and easy to like characters...heck, I even liked the Russian cosmonaut guy. Definitely some cheese when they were on the comet and rolling around in the vehicles and drilling, but I could look past it for the most part.

The Rock is absolutely classic work. Love Cage and Connery both, supporting characters were great also (Cage's woman is fire hot). Cheese in this one was Connery rolling through the fire tunnel thing based on timing. Totally implausible, but could look past it.

Pearl Harbor was again full of A-list and likeable actors. Great story, even the love story aspect was well done. I love that period of time in America, and love the WWII/Pearl Harbor story anyway, so maybe easy to get into that...Kate Beckinsale is second only to Jessica Alba in hotness...Loved the special effects. It was great to be able to put visuals to such a stunning event as Pearl Harbor, despite the fact that it was so horrific. It is an important event, and I had never seen it played out in live action, only still images and words. Seeing that helped me comprehend the utter devastation America experienced and it made the leap into war a lot more understandable. After it was over, I felt closer to my country.

The Island was a good movie, I thought. Great to see Obi Wan do something else and be good in it. Scarlett Johanssen is also fire hot, and acted well in it. Great story, and I thought it was told very well.

I guess I don't mind Michael Bay at all, and will probably always watch his stuff. I don't notice the camera movement or weird angles....I didn't have a problem with I Am Legend, and I didn't have any problem with Cloverfield, although I would rather it had been a Michael Bay type movie than a handheld camera, Blair Witch-type movie. If they sequel Cloverfield, I would rather it be more of a blockbuster. I will still watch it, even if it is the same story told from different people's perspectives and shot with handhelds again because I like the story.

Mood

I don't play the "you're complaining about X, when Y" card with sci-fi because it's one thing to set up a universe with robots, but that doesn't give it free reign to just do anything it wants (I mean they can, but it looks stupid). Establish the rules of that world, and stick to them. So there's robots. That doesn't mean people act like racial stereotypes or in Mourning's example, out of place in a combat zone.

Might as well give Robert Neville a wizard's powers to ward off the mutants. After all, it's already a movie where a virus turns you into some kind of vamp-mutant, why not magic? Or compromise: Aliens come down to give Nevile the technology he needs to save the world!

I guess a more to the point answer from me would have been that I didn't think the scenario described was that implausible given the circumstance. The weak spot was the underside of the decepticon; they were getting their butts kicked, the motorcycle was there...no more implausible than dragging BumbleBee around by a wrecker to have him still be able to fight. I'm not suggesting the leap you are talking about. His move that killed the decepticon was fine in the context of the movie, not something totally out of place like Neville getting wizard powers or having aliens save the day. Those examples are totally out of place in the context of the movie.

All kinds of spectacular moves were being executed in the Transformers battle scene. Sam hanging off the building holding the cube, eventually falling and being caught by Prime in midair, Sam jamming the cube into Megatron's chest, etc.....All those are implausible, but not out of context.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

UB, I'm totally with you on Michael Bay. I refuse to see any movie he directs or has anything to do with now.

I saw There Will Be Blood the other day and I thought it was phenomenal. Usually I don't like the use of intense music to build tension, but this film did it so perfectly and originally that I've never heard a soundtrack work so well and give a film such an eerie feel. This movie is so perfectly acted that you feel like you are covered in Oil the whole movie. In the start when Daniel gets the wind knocked out of him, you feel like the wind just got knocked out of you. I was hooked with the characters from the beginning and honestly I have never had such an unbelievable experience watching a film in the theaters. I usually have a certain amount of detachment for natural reasons of knowing that I'm watching something on film, but this movie pushed that envelope for me.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JOSH DUHAMEL

Shia, you have to get to the roof of some building. A helicopter will pick you up and take you to safety.

SHIA LABEOUF

How? Two of the bad guys are jets and another is a military chopper. Can this helicopter teleport or something?

JOSH DUHAMEL

Michael Bay doesn’t know how to direct an action sequence without someone needing to get to run toward something, so you better get moving before the movie gets boring again.

http://www.the-editing-room.com/transformers.html
    This whole page sums up Micheal Bay and Transformers...

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    JOSH DUHAMEL

Shia, you have to get to the roof of some building. A helicopter will pick you up and take you to safety.

SHIA LABEOUF

How? Two of the bad guys are jets and another is a military chopper. Can this helicopter teleport or something?

JOSH DUHAMEL

Michael Bay doesn’t know how to direct an action sequence without someone needing to get to run toward something, so you better get moving before the movie gets boring again.

http://www.the-editing-room.com/transformers.html
    This whole page sums up Micheal Bay and Transformers...

That was soooooooooo much more entertaining than the movie