Page 143 of 346 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193243 ... LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,575 of 8640

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

"Network"

My memory must be failing because I could not remember the second half of the movie.

Spoiler Spoiler:

In any case, it's a good movie and not totally unrelated still to the state of TV today. The line between news reporting and entertainment is still being blurred (a major issue this movie used in the plot), and the focus on reality TV that the movie's UBS network was falling in love with certainly rings even truer today than it did then.

---

"A Few Good Men"
    It was on one of the channels the other night and I watched it again.

A lot of the movie is rousingly "OK" and I don't think Cruise's performance is anything special for the most part. ... But I do like the ending and Nicholson's performance. ...And whether it was good directing or just Cruise stepping up to the plate, I always thought Cruise elevated his performance during those scenes (and if you're going to do that, the climatic final scenes are a good place).

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Wedding Daze

I can see why it went straight to DVD.

Behind Enemy Lines 2
    Not great, but not too bad for a made for TV or straight to DVD movie I guess.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Mr. Woodcock

BO-RING

Queimada also known as Burn!

Stars Brando as a Brit sent to a fictional Caribbean island to incite the locals to begin a rebellion against the colonial Portuguese. Most consider it one of his three or four best performances, and Marlon has said that he thinks it is his best.

It was made by Gillo Pontecorvo, who is the same guy that did Battle of Algiers. It really is a great representation of colonial Latin America and as one learned man I know put it, "The story is all fiction...but it's all true.

Very poignant and the score is incredible.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

"Live Free- Die Hard" (or whatever the latest Die Hard is actually called).

I watched the "Unrated Version" so I don't know what extras that got me.

This movie requires you to suspend belief for many of the action scenes. They couldn't be more over the top. The special FX does seem to make them look real, but common sense tells you "no way!" Nobody could be that good... that lucky... or that indestructible... I don't remember the older Die Hards being quite so over the top on the action scenes.

It's certainly not a chick flick.

And I thought it was thoroughly entertaining. It had enough of a plot that it didn't totally rely on the action scenes (they made sense in the grand scheme of the movie). And the pacing was fine for me. There wasn't a lot of worthless filler just to bridge action scenes to make the movie longer or any unneeded subplot to a movie that was really just about the action anyway.

If you're looking for a movie with deep meaning and to have your heartstrings tugged... this ain't it. If you're looking for a complicated whodunit... this ain't it either.

But if you're looking for something to watch on a Saturday night with a cold beer and chips... you could do much worse.

I can't imagine anyone who enjoyed the original Die Hard not liking this as well.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't imagine anyone who enjoyed the original Die Hard not liking this as well.

-Bball
    Far better than 3 - didn't care for that at all. IMO 1, 2 and 4 were all pretty similar - good, relatively mindless entertainment.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

What?

Die Hard With A Vengence was great.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    What?

Die Hard With A Vengence was great.
    I'm with you.

I'd rank them:

Die Hard
    Die Hard 3
    Die Hard 4
    Die Hard 2

And I don't hate 2. I've seen it once and remember thinking that it was OK.

I liked 'em all, and I would rank them 1,4,2,3. I thought the villain being Hans Gruber's brother in 3 was kinda cheesy, but it was evened out by the fact that McLane was still a loser and was opposite Sam Jackson.

The only part I don't like about the whole franchise is the women in his life. What do these women need to respect and love Johnny boy? He has proven himself to be the most indestructible bada$$ on the planet while saving his wife's life in the first two....They still hate his a$$, leave him, won't talk to him, and won't even use his damn last name. I bet he was paying the bills for his little beyotch daughter to go to Rutgers....I woulda yanked that checkbook until she learned some damn respect....

Or, maybe he likes taking it rough from his women and channels that anger toward the bad guys...??

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I thought Jeremy Irons was great.

I haven't seen 4, but 2 was pretty blah.

They go:

Die Hard 1
    Die Hard 3
    Die Hard 2
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

16 Blocks Solid Movie, I really did like the character develpment and the lack of mindless action.

Sleepy Hollow Decent movie, but some of the added filler (especially Crane's mother flashbacks) was rather pointless.

Mood

As to Die Hard, It's been awhile since I've seen 2 and 3, but my rankings pretty much go like this....

2=3=4
    Okay for sequels and are somewhat better than many other movies in the same genre, but in general nothing special.

Fists with your toes.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    16 Blocks Solid Movie, I really did like the character develpment and the lack of mindless action.
    I really liked that movie. I've never been a Bruce Willis fan (except for Pulp Fiction) but that made me change my mind. He was very believable in that movie.

I finally saw I Am Legend, it was OK untill the chick picks him up, then it turns awful.

Mood

Secret Window Eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Fists with your toes.
    I do that every time I'm in a hotel room. Seriously. Not sure if it makes a difference in how I feel, but I think of John McLane. One other thing I do is make sure I don't spend much time barefoot and in a wife-beater when I travel. Learn from the past, I always say.

Following the actual subject of the thread:

I watched Pirates of Silicon Valley for the first time in a few years. I liked it just the same as I did the first time I saw it, but this time I like Gates and Jobs a whole lot less. Both of them are ********, and I can't believe Gates never got assassinated after what he did to Apple. Also surprised that a disgruntled and overworked Apple employee hasn't shown up to headquarters looking like Neo rescuing Morpheus....Glad neither happened, regardless of how I feel about them.

I also liked 16 Blocks. Bruce has always done me right. Not sure if there is a role he has played that I DON'T like. Just something about the guy. Now, I do find it a little creepy that he hangs out as the third wheel with Demi & TruckerHat....Maybe he's smug because he knows he had the glory when it was prime...

Oh, JayRedd and I watched The Princess Diaries at the same time at our respective domiciles and then had a two hour chat about the nuances......

Bruce Willis = A cross between Humphrey Bogart and Fred Flintstone.

I didn't make it up... that was a review from his acting career around "Moonlighting" time. I'm pretty sure it was meant as a compliment in some odd way....

And it's kind of accurate... if you say it as a compliment...

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Just caught the last 45 minutes or so of ATL. Wish I had watched it all, but wasn't that impressed. I like the way it ended. Enough urban dramas end a different way...

The impression I got was that the premise for the story was decent, but it could've been done better.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

30 Days of Night

Not a bad slasher/vampires flick...the ending between good vs. evil was a little weak but the final ending was a bit touchy....

Cloverfield.

I really liked it. Sure, it was hyped totally beyond recognition but I nonetheless enjoyed it, mostly because it took place in the surroundings I lived in.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Saw "The Machinist" again... still a good movie .

Also saw "Death of a President". I can see this one beying very controversial, but I think they did a pretty good job with this one, I thought it was interesting. I thought it came across as pretty realistic and it didn't come across as the director was anti-Bush to me or something.

Just my

Also saw "Feed"... BAD, BAD, BAD!!!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Bruce Willis = A cross between Humphrey Bogart and Fred Flintstone.

I didn't make it up... that was a review from his acting career around "Moonlighting" time. I'm pretty sure it was meant as a compliment in some odd way....

And it's kind of accurate... if you say it as a compliment...

-Bball
    For some reason when I make my list of most versatile actors Willis never comes up. But when you look at it, he's done comedy, like in Blind Date, he's done drama with never a punch thrown or a car chase, like Sixth Sense and of course we all know the action movies.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

And Pulp Fiction as well
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    The only part I don't like about the whole franchise is the women in his life. What do these women need to respect and love Johnny boy? He has proven himself to be the most indestructible bada$$ on the planet while saving his wife's life in the first two....They still hate his a$$, leave him, won't talk to him, and won't even use his damn last name. I bet he was paying the bills for his little beyotch daughter to go to Rutgers....I woulda yanked that checkbook until she learned some damn respect....

Or, maybe he likes taking it rough from his women and channels that anger toward the bad guys...??

Seriously, I take it as an allegory for how police work affects family life. The prime example would be Jimmy McNulty on The Wire.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!