Page 142 of 340 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152192242 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 8494

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Totally understand and agree with you on the awards thing. If some poor big-budget blockbuster is just going to win at least best sound or best special effects, why not give some other films a chance? I didn't like Juno that much because it isn't the type that stays with me. I had No Country and TWBB on my mind for days afterwards. Juno was on my mind until about twenty minutes later when we walked into Charlie Wilson's War, which I enjoyed more because of the depth of commentary and overall better acting and direction. I don't want to knock Juno though; those type of chick/sentimental flicks are way better than some Matthew Mohawk-whatever or Jennifer Lopez crap.

I feel like American Gangster has the exact same problems as 3:10 to Yuma. Kind of a double lead and not on the spiritual and psychological level as the two I've mentioned continually. The difference I see is that Scott wasn't as precise as Mangold in his overall direction and AG suffered from being kind of long but also kind of incomplete/too quickly wrapped up. Anyways, good show.

"Bourne Ultimatium"

I liked it. I liked the pacing and I liked the feel that the director achieved with the camera work. I didn't even mind the car chases.

I also liked how they weaved part 2 and 3 together.

There was nothing particularly thought provoking about it, nor did I come away with a new world view from it... It was just entertaining. More movies should try that!

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Teenage Muntant Niga Turtles II The Seceret of the Ooze.

sweabs

The Bucket List.

Pretty good. I love Morgan Freeman - such a great voice.

Untraceable- Good, not great. I don't know if all of the things that the villan could do with a computer are realstic or not, but it's a halfway interesting idea for a story.

El Orfanato (The Orphanage)- Very good, almost great. It was produced by Guillermo Del Toro, Writer and Diretcor of Pan's Labyrinth who I am becoming a big fan of. The movie is in spanish with subtitles (if that type of thing bothers you the dialouge is pretty quick and after a while you don't even notice). If you are interested, go see it, you shouldn't be disappointed.
    Last edited by Erik; 01-27-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Cloverfield

It was alright. Different style of story telling, very Blair Witch Project like in the sense that they want to it be a documentary of the way a scenario like that would happen.

Juno

Watched it with some friends who hadnt seen it. Not so good the second time around. It will be deleted from my hard drive.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

No Country for Old Men

It was quite good. Interesting characters. Some things would be cleared up if I watch it again the second time around.

He Was a Quiet Man

Didn't know what to expect from it going in. I kinda left the movie with a bad feeling in the end. A bit of a sad story really.

Untraceable - complete waste of two hours. Sorry I saw it. it had a certain sickness to it which I found over the top - other than that just a poorly written movie

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by newman8r View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Juno

Watched it with some friends who hadnt seen it. Not so good the second time around. It will be deleted from my hard drive.
    Yeah, I've only seen it once but it isn't one of those movies I would love to see again. It didn't have as big of an effect on me as it did for some other people here. Like I said after watching it...it was a good movie. I had a "good" feeling after watching it. But there was nothing that stood out to me. If I was a chick, I'd call it "cute". I don't plan on watching it again, though.

Devil's Backbone- Another one of Guillermo Del Toro's movies, almost as good as Pan's Labyrinth. It's definately worth checking out.

We Run the Night

had not heard about it till I watched it. The camera/view really gave me a realistic sense of what was happening. Would recommend it

Rendition

I think I missed out on half the movie cause there were no subtitles when they were speaking another language for half of the movie. Gotta love the torrents.

Gone Baby Gone

Good first effort by Ben Affleck and a great acting job by Casey Affleck. It was a pretty good movie. Nothing too special about it though, a few twists and turns like every movie has and a good summing up at the end. Good for a one time viewing.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by newman8r View Post
    Juno

I liked it even better the second time. I'll buy the DVD as soon as it comes out, even though it's still on my hardrive.
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

Juno

It had some interesting characters. Wasn't boring. Time well spent watching it.

Rendition

Watched it with subtitles thanks to a heads up from newman...you kinda have a sense as to what is going to happen yet there was still some part of you wondering if there is going to be a twist in the plot - won't mention if there is or not - worth a watch.

I can't wait to see "There Will Be Blood." Daniel Day Lewis looks amazing in it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

True Lies Terrible, it was like Bad Boys 2 in that it never seemed to end. I actually fell asleep and missed the end. Oh well...

The Number 23 Not as bad I had imagined but I also wasn't paying close attention to some of the finer details. Still wasn't a good movie by any stretch though...

Hostage
    It was okay, and the beginning was fairly good.

"The Birds" (Hitchcock)

I was going to pop in a DVD but as I was going thru the channels this was on "Chiller" and I ended up watching a little and then decided I'd forgotten enough about the movie that I was interested in watching the whole thing. I'd forgotten how it ended...

It's an old movie and we've all been spoiled with modern movie techniques so I am sure some would complain about the character's being a little too prim and proper in the setting. The beach scene is clearly a set with a mural in the background. Most of the scenes with the birds are really pretty good though. Probably the one involving the school children and the birds is the one where you can get distracted by some of the unnaturalness of the FX work (some of the background birds have no definition).

But most of the time, it's (fx) pretty good for an older film... especially considering the amount of birds they needed to show.

It's classic Hitchcock. Maybe a little more blood than normal for a Hitchcock film but it's designed to make you use your mind and let some of the fear be built there, not spoon fed to you from the screen.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    True Lies Terrible, it was like Bad Boys 2 in that it never seemed to end. I actually fell asleep and missed the end. Oh well...
    I disagree, the movie was hilarious. One of Jamie Lee Curtis' finest performances.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    I thought it mostly sucked also, but the best parts were Tom Arnold and Bill Paxton stealing the show...Paxton's used car salesman/fake-spy-to-get-laid character was great.

Tom Arnold is always good, and for him, I define good as 'his performance made me be able to look past the fact that he used to bang Roseanne.'

Jamie Lee Curtis was okay (at least she got to perform a underwear-clad slow dance), Arnold was Arnold (the horseriding through the hotel was underwhelming...etc....Tia Carrere makes every movie she's in just a little bit cheesier, and that includes Wayne's World.

Charlton Heston was a great casting move as the one-eyed, scarred head of the black-op group they were all part of....

All in all, the movie actually WAS kind of entertaining, but on actual merit, it does score pretty low. It didn't help that I felt bad perving on a too-young-to-be-perved-on Eliza Dushku. After watching it, I needed to watch Bring It On just to remember that she's now plenty old enough.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

3:10 to Yuma

Best western made in a LOOONG time. The more I see Christian Bale, the more I like him. Not sure there is a more committed actor working today. Russell Crowe was excellent as well. Great bad guy in that he was calm, cool, and collected when the fit hits the shan, and he played the intelligent/psycho character very well. I loved the almost cameo role that Luke Wilson had. Finally nice to see him performing in a film that isn't a romantic comedy. I like him okay in comedy, but it gets old in the date movie genre. Not much substance or challenge to his role in this, but again, it was nice to see that he did it.

American Gangster

Denzel is at his best when he is bad. He plays a great good guy too, and I really think he is one of the finest actors of his generation. I think comparing him to an actor of the past to prove a point (he's the new Sidney Poitier) is selling him short. He is Denzel. Nuff said.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Again, Russell Crowe shined. I wasn't too sure about him being an Oscar caliber actor for quite some time. I'm convinced now. Between these two movies I'm posting about, I will check out whatever he's in (as long as it's not a romantic comedy with him opposite Luke Wilson and/or Kate Hudson).

Off topic and out of nowhere, but.........I pretty much can't stand Kate Hudson. She's not that hot, and a very mediocre actress. If her parents weren't Goldie and Kurt, not sure she would've broken into the biz so easily. I suppose it is obvious that most people like her, because she is obviously bankable, or she wouldn't keep getting roles. I've just not been impressed with her at all. Her opposite Matthew M. (I hate trying to spell his last name without going to imdb.com!) in How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days was a crock. If the casting was supposed to be two top-of-their-game players pitted against each other, you gotta look to a Jessica Alba level hotness to be opposite the double M.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    "The Birds" (Hitchcock)

-Bball
    I saw it when I was about 8 years old and have no interest in ever seeing it again.

3:10 to Yuma

Good movie. Again, no earth-shattering "make you reconsider life as we know it", thought provoking moments. Just solid entertainment.

I agree with Heywoode on the acting comments so I won't retype any of that.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

The Kingdom

Good movie. The last about 20 minutes are great and it was very different than what I thought it was about in a better way. I would recommend to all for a watch.

We Own The Night

Forget about this movie until I downloaded it thinking it was something else. Very forgettable and not all that great. The good part of the story kinda climaxed early and than it was a slow finish. It was ok at best.