Page 141 of 347 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191241 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,525 of 8659

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

sweabs

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Atonement.

Honestly, I wasn't really excited to watch this one beforehand. But I thought it turned out to be a good movie. I loved the way in which it was told. There were some interesting techniques used throughout the film. And by the end, you fully realize what a sad and tragic story it is.

"Failure to Launch"

Formula movie from start to finish. It's get my- "I wouldn't plan an evening around it but for just a random movie to watch to kill a couple of hours you could do worse" rating.

Maybe it was low expectations, but I thought Terry Bradshaw did a good job and I have no idea how someone envisions Terry Bradshaw for the role to begin with. ...But I thought it worked.

Be forewarned, get your popcorn eaten early before Bradshaw gets his naked room!

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Breach

It was okay, but it seemed like it should've been better somehow...

I saw the "Great Debaters" it was OK, too predictable.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Finally saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night.

Incredibly well-made and really thought-provoking. The story is rather interesting and a timeless subject (basically, the inseparable connection between love and pain), but it's really one of those movies that's acutely personal, as it makes constant reference to recalling memories and failed/great relationships.

Jim Carrey was very good. So was Kate Winslet to a lesser degree. And, heck, I even enjoyed a Kirsten Dunst performance for maybe the first time in my life.

The way the story is displayed/directed/shot/whatever is rather unconventional and non-sequential...so you might not like it if you're a stickler for conventional narrative. Some also complain that it's confusing and ends ambiguously.
    I really like "Eternall Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" aswell. Original storyline and I liked the acting and humour.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Way behind, as usual. Saw Smokin' Aces on HBO.

Not since Keanu Reeves in Dracula have we heard a more bizarre supposedly southern (?) accent -- thank you Andy Garcia.

Other than that, it had loads of two of the Big Three...wise-crackin' toughies, and plentiful mayhem.

And there was a plot, I think.
    Last edited by kester99; 01-21-2008 at 03:18 AM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

sweabs

No Country for Old Men.

Awesome movie. It was fun to watch - but the ending leaves you thinking about the bigger picture. I liked the unconventional ending.

The dude playing Chigurh was awesome. Played it perfectly.

Good Luck Chuck

Very predictable. Had its moments of funny but overall a very typical romantic comedy. Didn't even get any Jessica Alba nudity which I already knew but I mean so many other girls were naked in this movie. Got to see a 3 boobed woman.

sweabs

Munich.

Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    Munich.

Very sad.
    And very underrated.

sweabs

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

JayRedd did a good job summing this one up. It was really unlike any movie I've seen - and I thoroughly enjoyed the way in which the story was told. Thought-provoking, as JayRedd already stated, is the best way to describe it. Some great messages in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    And very underrated.
    "Munich" is good. Anyone read the book on which it is based?

Oscar Noms

Atonement
    Juno
    Michael Clayton
    No Country for Old Men
    There will be Blood.

I have seen three of those and it is a tough call between No Country for Old Men and Juno. Both are very good. I suppose I would pick No Country for Old Men - just because it was more memorable - But Juno was really good. (I also saw Michael Clayton)

I wish Zodiac and The Lookout were also being considered - they deserve to be IMO.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-22-2008 at 01:25 PM.

sweabs

I have seen 3 of those as well (Atonement, Juno, & No Country For Old Men).

Out of those, I liked No Country For Old Men the best...but I thought Atonement was very unique and quite sad. The way in which the story was told was very different.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    Finally worked up the courage to watch United 93.

I thought I'd be ready to watch it. But I guess I wasn't...or I guess this is just the reaction most people get. Because I haven't shed tears from watching a movie in a long time.

I went through so many different stages during the movie. For about the first 20 minutes, I kept telling myself to turn it off. That way I wouldn't have to see.

For about the next hour, I was stressed. I have no other way of putting it...sounds weird - being stressed during a movie. But it was painful to watch. I knew what was going to happen - but I kept hoping it would turn out different.

For the last part, I was just done. I don't know - I can't imagine everything going through the people's heads. I can't imagine that situation. But it happened. From the chaos on ground and in air-traffic centres, to the chaos on the plane...and the communication problems on the ground and on the plane. I couldn't imagine. It offends me when people say that 9/11 was a conspiracy.

God Bless all those who lost their lives on 9/11/01.
    I made the mistake of watching this the night before I got on a plane from Dallas to Charlotte. The entire flight I kept watching the other passengers, and looking around. Kinda freaked me out.

And yes, it was rough for me to watch too knowing what was coming......

Have you seen the Nicolas Cage movie about 9/11? I think it was called World Trade Center.....The end of that movie had the tears welling up in my eyes.....

I usually try and see all the Oscar noms for best picture, unless one of the noms just seems like somehting I really, really wouldn't like. Not the case this year, so I will see all five,

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    "Failure to Launch"

Formula movie from start to finish. It's get my- "I wouldn't plan an evening around it but for just a random movie to watch to kill a couple of hours you could do worse" rating.

Maybe it was low expectations, but I thought Terry Bradshaw did a good job and I have no idea how someone envisions Terry Bradshaw for the role to begin with. ...But I thought it worked.

Be forewarned, get your popcorn eaten early before Bradshaw gets his naked room!

-Bball
    VEry same thoughts on this one, but I laughed my *** off when they got to the Naked room scene. And I thought Terry did a good job in the role.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm pulling for the underdog JUNO to win an Oscar. That movie just really touched me for some reason, I loved all the characters. I thought everyone played their part to perfection.

No Country for Old Men, I thought it was very good. But....
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Haven't seen the other nominees yet.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    I'm pulling for the underdog JUNO to win an Oscar. That movie just really touched me for some reason, I loved all the characters. I thought everyone played their part to perfection.

No Country for Old Men, I thought it was very good. But....
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Haven't seen the other nominees yet.
    I liked Juno very much - unlike the other movies I've seen this year, Juno touched my heart. It was one of those movies where I wanted to know what happened to the characters after the movie ended. And I am soooo happy that Juno herself was nominated - for best actress. She was great in that role. I will buy the DVD for sure and it will be he type of movie I'll watch again and again.

However, I don't know how much of an underdog "Juno" is - It has made almost as much money as the other 4 nominees combined. It has turned into a word of mouth hit.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-23-2008 at 05:06 AM.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I liked Juno very much - unlike the other movies I've seen this year, Juno touched my heart. It was one of those movies where I wanted to know what happened to the characters after the movie ended. And I am soooo happy that Juno herself was nominated - for best actress. She was great in that role. I will buy the DVD for sure and it will be he type of movie I'll watch again and again.

However, I don't know how much of an underdog "Juno" is - It has made almost as much money as the other 4 nominees combined. It has turned into a word of mouth hit.
    any comedy in oscar talks is an underdog. my guess is that of the bunch it could win best original screenplay.
    This is the darkest timeline.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Juno's an underdog because two of the best films (NCFOM and TWBB) ever made by two of most capable writer/director(s) my generation knows. Eastern Promises and 3:10 are better FILMS than Juno; there are others I don't feel like thinking of right now. You can say Juno touched your heart and "Gilmore Girls" (someone else's description, not mine) dialogue was entrancing but the fact of the matter is that acting, direction, production, setting, editing, cinematography, and base writing is what matters. Juno had maybe 1.5 of those things. No Country deserves it simply because it is the Coen's first masterpiece in a while; Blood simply didn't have the writing or the unique styling of Boogie Nights or Magnolia. Think about it: who's talking about Little Miss Sunshine anymore? Best Picture should be about what's going to have an impact. Juno winning, which it certainly won't though they'll probably give it BOS since both the aforementioned pieces were adaptations, would be like what happened in 1980. We're talking best, not favorite.

All that said, the Academy Awards are bull****.

Juno

Great movie.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

3:10 to Yuma

It was very good. Well done by Bale and Crowe.

"First Snow" with Guy Pearce. I thought it was nice. Nothing superb, but definitely watchable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Juno's an underdog because two of the best films (NCFOM and TWBB) ever made by two of most capable writer/director(s) my generation knows. Eastern Promises and 3:10 are better FILMS than Juno; there are others I don't feel like thinking of right now. You can say Juno touched your heart and "Gilmore Girls" (someone else's description, not mine) dialogue was entrancing but the fact of the matter is that acting, direction, production, setting, editing, cinematography, and base writing is what matters. Juno had maybe 1.5 of those things. No Country deserves it simply because it is the Coen's first masterpiece in a while; Blood simply didn't have the writing or the unique styling of Boogie Nights or Magnolia. Think about it: who's talking about Little Miss Sunshine anymore? Best Picture should be about what's going to have an impact. Juno winning, which it certainly won't though they'll probably give it BOS since both the aforementioned pieces were adaptations, would be like what happened in 1980. We're talking best, not favorite.

All that said, the Academy Awards are bull****.
    I understand completely - and maybe that is why the Golden Globes has two best picture categories. Maybe the Oscars should as well as a way to recognize films like Juno and films like "American Gangster".

I can sit here and say there were better films made this past year than Juno - but I cannot sit here and say there was a more enjoyable films or a film that touched my heart more than Juno did. Should Juno be penalized because it is an easier film to make at least from a technical standpoint - I don't know. But I do know that "little films" also need to be recognized and rewarded.

Let me say this, if I could watch any movie that I saw this past year for the second time - I would choose to watch "Juno" again.