Page 140 of 344 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190240 ... LastLast
Results 3,476 to 3,500 of 8591

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

sweabs

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

A History of Violence.

Way too short. I liked the direction it was going in...but it finishes, and I'm left with a bunch of questions.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ridley Scott has crawled all over himself describing it as an accurate depiction of the conflicts of that time. It is not - it completely misrepresents the tenor and tone of the Crusades. Pretty much garbage.

Just about the only historically accurate item in the entire film was that Guy of Lusignan lost the Battle of Hattin. Beyond that it's pure fiction - starting with Balian being a blacksmith and not a mid-level noble.

That's OK. Historical films are always fictionalized somewhat - heck we don't know enough details about those people to stick to the facts for film. But in this case Balian going back to Jerusalem to rescue his wife would have created as good, or better of a plot line than the one they threw in. Not sure why they felt the need to throw in the Muslim girl - maybe to give the impression that if it wasn't for those meanie Templars, Christians and Muslims would all get together and sing Kumbaya - never mind that they'd been killing each other for 500 years by the time the film was set.

But at least it was better than Braveheart - particularly since Gibson defends that film as historically accurate. And on a positive note, I thought Saladin was portrayed fairly well - maybe a little too sympathetically since he wasn't above mass slaughter when it suited him but not too bad.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Secret Agent Man-O.N.E. James Bond's Avatar

Even though I haven't seen it, I'm thinking that there may have to be an extra thread for Cloverfield. It looks like it may be one of those movies that just needs its own thread.

I won't be able to see it until next weekend though.

sweabs

Animal House.

It was okay.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    Animal House.

It was okay.

It was a house and they lived and partied like animals... what more did you want?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Cloverfield. See the thread on it for my thoughts.

Juno. I liked it.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

sweabs

The Pianist.

One of the best films I've seen. In fact, I'm probably okay with saying it's my favourite. It was brilliant, horrifying, revealing, powerful, and inspirational. I'm sure I could find more words to describe it if I wanted.

The scene where he plays the piano for the German officer is moving.
    Last edited by sweabs; 01-18-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Idiocracy

Pretty good but I think I expected more. There were funny parts and it is more believable that in the future it will be filled with morons instead of all intelligent people.

sweabs

Crash.

I thought it was a little over-the-top. Seemed as though every single person in the movie was a racist. And I couldn't put up with Ludacris as an actor...let alone his character annoyed me.

Juno was really really good. It was funny, sweet, heart warming, the story and the characters just pull you in, and soon you care about what happens to the,

Highly recommend it .

It was the best movie I've seen since early last year.

Go see it

sweabs

Fire in the Sky.

Back when I was in elementary school - some friends said this was a real good UFO/alien flick, and scary at that. It's based on a true story. To be honest though, I found it kind of slow for the most part. Has anyone else seen it? And does anyone have any recommendations for a good/scary alien-type movie? (I've seen Signs already).

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

The Pianist.

One of the best films I've seen. In fact, I'm probably okay with saying it's my favourite. It was brilliant, horrifying, revealing, powerful, and inspirational. I'm sure I could find more words to describe it if I wanted.

"The Pianist" is brilliant, yes.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

Fire in the Sky really scared me as a kid just for the abduction scene(s).

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Fire in the Sky really scared me as a kid just for the abduction scene(s).
    Yeah, like I said - I was told about the movie by some friends during a sleepover in grade 8 and they said it was frightening. It probably shouldn't have taken me 10 years to finally go out and see it. It likely would have had more of an effect on me then.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cloverfield, quite good.

Bourne Supremecy.

Not great... not bad...

Car chases are getting to the point they really bore me so that hurt the movie in my mind. It's getting to the point I can only tolerate 1... and that is getting questionable. This had more than 1.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Finally saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night.

Incredibly well-made and really thought-provoking. The story is rather interesting and a timeless subject (basically, the inseparable connection between love and pain), but it's really one of those movies that's acutely personal, as it makes constant reference to recalling memories and failed/great relationships.

Jim Carrey was very good. So was Kate Winslet to a lesser degree. And, heck, I even enjoyed a Kirsten Dunst performance for maybe the first time in my life.

The way the story is displayed/directed/shot/whatever is rather unconventional and non-sequential...so you might not like it if you're a stickler for conventional narrative. Some also complain that it's confusing and ends ambiguously.

And though I wasn't a huge fan of Being John Malkovich, between that, Eternal Sunshine and Adaptation (a big-time favorite of mine despite my disdain for all things Nic Cage), it's hard to argue that Charlie Kaufman isn't the most original and creative scriptwriter in Hollywood.

The Pianist.

Breathtaking.

Crash.

I thought it was a little over-the-top. Seemed as though every single person in the movie was a racist. And I couldn't put up with Ludacris as an actor...let alone his character annoyed me.
    Horrible. Mexican locksmith story was the only story line I liked...though that was quite good.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Finally saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night.
    Yeah I really liked it. It's impressive that a lot of the movie didn't require CGI, it relied mostly on camera work...

sweabs

Horrible. Mexican locksmith story was the only story line I liked...though that was quite good.
    Hah - I was exactly the same!

I'll have to check out Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

No Country for Old Men

Very good. Like Uncle Buck had said it is nice to see a movie that doesnt rely on music to tell the story. I did think it ended ubruptly though. Sort of a different ending to say the least. Not your typical ending which is something that I like. Very unpredictable.

The Pianist

Good movie. Not the best movie I have ever seen but well acted and good story. My only question is were there supposed to be subtitles when they spoke in German? Cause I downloaded the movie and had to subtitles so I had no idea what they were saying for a good portion. I assumed a lot about it.

Terrible movie IMO - can't believe it got Best Picture. The only reason it got it was a paroxysm of self-congratulation by Hollywood.

They decided to depict racism - only they were about 50 years too late. Today's racism isn't a cop feeling up an upper-middle class black woman. Today's racism is a racial glass ceiling, people getting poor service in dept stores, a black person going to a bank and not getting a small business loan he or she would get if white, school redistricting, rezonings, municipality construction/renewal/road funding decisions, etc. It's much less obvious in most cases - and in many ways more dangerous.

Something like it would have been a good film in the 50's or 60's. Today it lets someone who spits on minorities from his car actually feel good about himself. Couldn't stand that movie.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by newman8r View Post
    The Pianist

Good movie. Not the best movie I have ever seen but well acted and good story. My only question is were there supposed to be subtitles when they spoke in German? Cause I downloaded the movie and had to subtitles so I had no idea what they were saying for a good portion. I assumed a lot about it.
    Yes there were subtitles. Maybe you shouldn't DOWNLOAD you huge jerk. But seriously - there are .srt files you can download that will provide subtitles to things...errr...I think....

There Will Be Blood.

Looks like Daniel Day is about to join Nicholson, Brando, Hanks, Hoffman and Tracy in the two-statue club.

He's simply captivating as oil man Daniel Plainview.

He just totally becomes this tragically flawed character in what can be loosely considered a new-age Citizen Kane tale. What's really impressive is that he's on screen for roughly 90% of the movie and it doesn't even seem odd.

I can see how some people will not like the overall story (not a lot happens honestly) but this performance is as monumental and memorable as anything I've seen in some time (imagine a more successful and ambitious Bill the Butcher with 2 hours 15 minutes of screen time).

Paul Dano (mute kid from Little Miss Sunshine) was rather good too, and the score by Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead was truly great.

Go see it.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 01-20-2008 at 11:42 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs