Page 138 of 346 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188238 ... LastLast
Results 3,426 to 3,450 of 8634

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Topper (1937) and Topper Takes a Trip (1938)

We watched these back to back on TMC last night. They were both very entertaining. Topper is about a young rich couple that dies but then cannot get into heaven because they have done no good or bad deeds. (Smoking, drinking, and carousing must have not fit into the later in 1937.) They set getting Topper to live life for real as the deed needed to get them in.

The fadeing in and out for the ghost scenes was big for the day. Roland Young that plays Topper did a great job acting like he was interacting with ghosts when they were invisable. Cary Grant was very humorus and Constance Bennett was more so as his dead wife. A very attractive lady in an eligant but playful way.

Topper takes a Trip picked up where the first left off, with Topper's wife wanting to divorce him. Young and Bennett returned for this one, with Grtant being too big a star to play a supporting role. It was very good as well. I would recommend both if you enjoy a good romantic comedy. It was actually refreashing to watch and adult movie without profanity, nudity, or graphic violence.

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have great respect for actors who can do comedy, it is far harder than it looks or seems.
    Joss Whedon said in the commentary for Serenity that when he has a difficult emotional role to fill, he likes to go with a good comedic actor. He effectively said, "If you can do comedy well, you can do anything."
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Just saw "Everything is Illuminated" again this night. I have to be in the right state of mind/mood to watch it. Beautifull movie, especially the last 30 mins.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Joss Whedon said in the commentary for Serenity that when he has a difficult emotional role to fill, he likes to go with a good comedic actor. He effectively said, "If you can do comedy well, you can do anything."
    Right. I keep thinking about that quote from Whedon when I think about the actors for the supporting roles for Star Trek that Abrams has brought in.

Shoot Em Up

It was better than expected. Very unrealistic but I dont think it was trying to be real in any way. A lot of good one liners and a lot of killing and violence as well as nudity and poo in the face. Everything a movie needs really.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    The phrase "a real genocide began to happen" makes it seem like the movie taught you something you didn't previously know... I'd hope that isn't the case.
    No no, of course I already knew before, but reading something in the news (or wherever) is a different story than watching this movie and seeing how it really happended to the people..you know what I want to say?

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

The Kingdom - Wasn't a bad movie.

The Game Plan - better than I thought it would be...worth a watch if you have kids.

Death Sentence - Reminded me of Death Wish movies...

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    That, and Identity didn't cause me to feel like I was constantly taking breaks to press my forehead against a baseball bat while spinning in place. That director's style just doesn't work for my brain and leaves me dizzy.

I really like this movie.
    Yeah - Bourne's one of the few films I think actually plays better on a smaller screen because all the 45 shutter speed action won't give you a headache.

The Special Edition version of the Abyss DVD has an extended version of the film that's 28 minutes long. It's not what I expected which was a few scenes here and there. They had an entirely different plot line, almost completely unrelated to anything in the theatrical version, which they cut out.

EDIT: Arrggh - make that 28 minutes longer.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by DisplacedKnick; 01-07-2008 at 12:50 PM.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

oh yea - forgot....also watched this movie called Living and Dying - it was craptacular.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    The Special Edition version of the Abyss DVD has an extended version of the film that's 28 minutes long. It's not what I expected which was a few scenes here and there. They had an entirely different plot line, almost completely unrelated to anything in the theatrical version, which they cut out.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Yeah actually the first time I saw The Abyss it was the Special Edition. I've seen bits and pieces of the theatrical edition on TV multiple times and it's just not the same. It always just feels like things were taken out that shouldn't have been. The "extras" do take it to another place, but I was cool with it.

Glory.

Still amazing. Probably my favorite Denzel performance. His speech in the drum circle is chilling.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Glory.

Still amazing. Probably my favorite Denzel performance. His speech in the drum circle is chilling.
    I love that movie. The final assault is amazing.

Saw "Elizabeth. The Golden Age" last night in the cinema. I liked it, though, but this is inevitable almost in pretty big productions, some of the nuancies were lost.

Some of those:

- Philips II, the Spanish King, not only send his "Armada" to England, because of piracy from English (and Dutch) ships in the Carribbean, but also because of the support Elizabeth had given to the war of independence that was raging in the most prosperous/rich provinces under Spanish Rule, namely The Netherlands.

- The English fleet wasn't as outnumbered as pictured. The English (and Dutch) ships were much smaller though, but also much better suited to manouevring, which was a major asset.

- English landforces are depicted near the coast and the insinuation is that the invasion of England is a matter of hours, however in reality only part of the Spanish Armada (a huge part though) was engaged who were on their way to ports in Flanders where the rest of the Armada was waiting aswell as additional ground forces.

- The Armada wasn't destroyed in one battle, though the battle of Grevelingen which is depicted is by far the most important. Several other naval battles followed after it with English and Dutch fleets as the Armada tried to withdraw to Spain via the Eastern English shores, Scotland and Ireland. The storms and cliffs in and around especially Ireland claimed a high number of Spanish ships.

All historical tidbits. Still mentioning in the beginning that England was the only one standing up to Spain as the dominant power in Europe is factually incorrect. The Spanish armies were locked in a brutal war in it's wealthiest and most tax rewarding and producing provinces in the area that constituted the Spanish Netherlands at that time (The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg present day). I think France though not actively at war with Spain at that time, might have something to say about that statement aswell.

Anyway, I still thought it was decenly accurate, liked the atmosphere of the movie and thought Clive Owen's acting was actually the best that I think I have seen from him in years. Cate Blanchett puts down another good role as Elizabeth IMO.

Regards,

Mourning

Note: it's not a warmovie really IMO.
    Last edited by Mourning; 01-08-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seeing as my intranet was down for a week due to a unforeseen circumstance (not paying the bill), I got in a few movies...

Tremors - Always a fun movie, and kinda cool to see the cheap special effects in HD...

The Bourne Supremacy - Watched it just to prep myself for The Bourne Ultimatum. As with Tremors, I was also watching a movie I had seen before but not in HD.

The Bourne Ultimatum - It was a good movie but I don't like how the trilogy wasn't so much for advancing Bourne's character but becoming formulaic in 'catching the bad guys that are supposed to good guys by a good guy that is portrayed by a bad guy.'

Eastern Promises - It was okay and it was much better than A History of Violence (which I hated) but as with AHOV at the end I asked, 'That's it????'. And thats what she asked as well

The Simpsons Movie- Liked it for the most part, but it was nothing special.

Matchstick Men Solid Movie
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby- Absolutely terrible.

Live Free or Die Hard- Liked it and accepted the outrageous parts until Willis was standing on a jet in midflight and crashing.
    Last edited by Natston; 01-10-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    Tremors - Always a fun movie, and kinda cool to see the cheap special effects in HD...
    I just bought all four of them - I've only seen the first three - on DVD for 14.99, making it possibly the best purchase of the young year for me.

i saw "one missed call" on friday
    Let's go Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Saw "Elizabeth. The Golden Age" last night in the cinema. I liked it, though, but this is inevitable almost in pretty big productions, some of the nuancies were lost.

Some of those:

- Philips II, the Spanish King, not only send his "Armada" to England, because of piracy from English (and Dutch) ships in the Carribbean, but also because of the support Elizabeth had given to the war of independence that was raging in the most prosperous/rich provinces under Spanish Rule, namely The Netherlands.

- The English fleet wasn't as outnumbered as pictured. The English (and Dutch) ships were much smaller though, but also much better suited to manouevring, which was a major asset.

- English landforces are depicted near the coast and the insinuation is that the invasion of England is a matter of hours, however in reality only part of the Spanish Armada (a huge part though) was engaged who were on their way to ports in Flanders where the rest of the Armada was waiting aswell as additional ground forces.

- The Armada wasn't destroyed in one battle, though the battle of Grevelingen which is depicted is by far the most important. Several other naval battles followed after it with English and Dutch fleets as the Armada tried to withdraw to Spain via the Eastern English shores, Scotland and Ireland. The storms and cliffs in and around especially Ireland claimed a high number of Spanish ships.

All historical tidbits. Still mentioning in the beginning that England was the only one standing up to Spain as the dominant power in Europe is factually incorrect. The Spanish armies were locked in a brutal war in it's wealthiest and most tax rewarding and producing provinces in the area that constituted the Spanish Netherlands at that time (The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg present day). I think France though not actively at war with Spain at that time, might have something to say about that statement aswell.

Anyway, I still thought it was decenly accurate, liked the atmosphere of the movie and thought Clive Owen's acting was actually the best that I think I have seen from him in years. Cate Blanchett puts down another good role as Elizabeth IMO.

Regards,

Mourning

Note: it's not a warmovie really IMO.
    History major, are we?!

Seriously, those are nice comments. I will watch the movie sometime now...

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Bird - Damn, as long as you don't hate bebop (and if you do I want you to wear aluminum foil from now on so we know who you are), you will be moved. RIP Yardbird.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Bird - Damn, as long as you don't hate bebop (and if you do I want you to wear aluminum foil from now on so we know who you are), you will be moved. RIP Yardbird.
    Really good. Agreed on the foil.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

sweabs

It's a great film, Aesop.

I watched a movie called Whipped the other night. It was on CityTV at about 2:00am. It was HORRIBLE. Honestly, one of the worst movies I've ever watched. Yet, I watched the entire thing.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fracture

Okay movie, easily forgettable though...

Went to see JUNO last night. Very good indie type movie, lots of good rare music in the film as well.

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    History major, are we?!

Seriously, those are nice comments. I will watch the movie sometime now...
    Haha, no, but I do have an interest in military history, military developments and politics, so I guess that sort of explains it .

Keep in mind though it's not a war movie. I don't really know how to characterize it... has elements of a warmovie, drama, biography and romance. I liked it though.

Saw "3:10 to Yuma" yesterday. LOVED IT! Easily one of the best westerns of the last 2 decennia even though it's a remake. Crowe and Bale absolutely make this a good movie. Go see it.

Regards,

Mourning

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    Went to see JUNO last night. Very good indie type movie, lots of good rare music in the film as well.
    Juno is a very good movie.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Haha, no, but I do have an interest in military history, military developments and politics, so I guess that sort of explains it .

Keep in mind though it's not a war movie. I don't really know how to characterize it... has elements of a warmovie, drama, biography and romance. I liked it though.

Saw "3:10 to Yuma" yesterday. LOVED IT! Easily one of the best westerns of the last 2 decennia even though it's a remake. Crowe and Bale absolutely make this a good movie. Go see it.

Regards,

Mourning
    We continue to have the same taste in movies - I loved 3:10 to Yuma, and I usually don't like westerns at all.