Page 137 of 348 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,425 of 8697

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Saw "No Country for Old Men" yesterday. Now that is a movie. There were so many things I loved about it. Probably the best villian I've ever seen in a movie. He was smart, and whenever he was on the screen I was just facinated by him - very memorable - even when he was just siting there, I couldn't take my eyes of him.

All the acting was great, the writing was outstanding, but one thing I really, really appreciated - there was no background music that tries and sets the mood for you, or that tells you something important or dramatic is upcoming (similar to the HBO series, The Wire") things just happened and the impact was so much greater.

Overall a fantastic movie. I suppose some will not like the ending - it certainly isn't a typical hollywood type ending - I'm sure it was not audience tested and reworked to please the studio execs.

It is great to see a movie that doesn't denigrate into car chases, shootouts, MTV type editing and over-the-top action. Restrained and quiet suspense.

It just is sad that so few people actually go see these type movies and instead go to see much lesser movies.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-02-2008 at 10:56 AM.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Valley of the Wolves - Iraq

It was...different to watch the Americans as the bad guys...

3:10 to Yuma

A lot better than I had thought it would be. Chritian Bale and Russel Crowe were both very good in it. I usually dont like westerns but this one was done very well. I would recommend to any and everyone. 8/10

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just watched 5 seconds (approx) of Dream Girls.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saw "No Country for Old Men" yesterday. Now that is a movie. There were so many things I loved about it. Probably the best villian I've ever seen in a movie. He was smart, and whenever he was on the screen I was just facinated by him - very memorable - even when he was just siting there, I couldn't take my eyes of him.

All the acting was great, the writing was outstanding, but one thing I really, really appreciated - there was no background music that tries and sets the mood for you, or that tells you something important or dramatic is upcoming (similar to the HBO series, The Wire") things just happened and the impact was so much greater.

Overall a fantastic movie. I suppose some will not like the ending - it certainly isn't a typical hollywood type ending - I'm sure it was not audience tested and reworked to please the studio execs.

It is great to see a movie that doesn't denigrate into car chases, shootouts, MTV type editing and over-the-top action. Restrained and quiet suspense.

It just is sad that so few people actually go see these type movies and instead go to see much lesser movies.
    This is all true.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    Just watched 5 seconds (approx) of Dream Girls.
    I've watched 5 minutes of that movie....collectively.

Every time I see it's on HBO, I turn it immediately but not before being subjected to a couple seconds of it. I figure that I've done that to watch about 5 minutes of it collectively.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Mood

One lady was doing a soulful rendition of 'who are you calling calculating, you unprofessional.." and I turned it off.

Whatever happened to Motown?

Funny and probably pretty accurate. Good film.

Had a really slow night so I rented Rob Zombie's Halloween.

It was OK - slasher movie. I liked the original better - thought it built suspense a bit more but this wasn't bad - a bit better than I expected actually.

There's also a very nice, wholesome morality lesson.
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

sweabs

The Great Debaters & Sicko.

I enjoyed both of them.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    Valley of the Wolves - Iraq

It was...different to watch the Americans as the bad guys...
    Yeah, I heard that was sort of the Turkish Rambo with the Americans as the "villains". Heard it was just as bad if not worse aswell as Rambo II en III .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

Heywoode: The Princess Diaries. It is my favorite. It is 135 minutes long. I wish it was longer, so I could cry more.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Shoot Em Up"

I loved this movie. Take it at face value. As the title explains, it is a great shoot 'em up movie. Excellent soundtrack...good shootout scene with Ace of Spades playing.

"Stardust"

So-so. It was definitely different. I did enjoy watching Claire Danes.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post

Funny and probably pretty accurate. Good film.
    I was pretty dissapointed with that movie, I waited about 2 years for it to come out too, definately should not even be mentioned with Office Space.

I also saw No Country For Old Men, and the movie was awesome cause the cattlegun alone, that and the Coen Bros of course.

Hip-Hop ,Guitar & Martial ArtsEnthusiast
    Tony Jaa could beat you up with his pinky.

I don't know whether this movie has already been mentioned, however, I watched "Hotel Rwanda" yesterday!

All I can say is that I had tears in my eyes! This movie is haunting, you really begin to feel with the people in the movie..
    As of now, I'm still a little speechless and think about the movie and the circumstances! To those who don't know, it's the true story of a hotel director in Rwanda, where war is broken out and a real genocide began to happen..frightening..

Turistas...

For the most part terrible, except for a couple of decent topless scenes I guess

I've been buying a few DVD's now and then to replace my VHS tapes.

Watched The Bourne Identity last night for the first time in several years. I was struck by how much better this film is, IMO than Ultimatum and Supremacy.

In those two films, there's plenty of action, you don't get bored and they're not bad but in Identity they allow Bourne to show real pain over his situation, to make him vulnerable, to let you inside his head with the pain and confusion.

In the last two he's like a Human robot killer - plus the last one had a few too many car chases. They were good chases but how many do you need in 1 movie, however good they are?

I'm now on to the Special edition DVD of The Abyss.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by 31andonly View Post
    I don't know whether this movie has already been mentioned, however, I watched "Hotel Rwanda" yesterday!

All I can say is that I had tears in my eyes! This movie is haunting, you really begin to feel with the people in the movie..
    As of now, I'm still a little speechless and think about the movie and the circumstances! To those who don't know, it's the true story of a hotel director in Rwanda, where war is broken out and a real genocide began to happen..frightening..
    Damn, now I remember it was being televised on some local station a couple days ago, but I apparently missed it. Really want to see that film some time soon...

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

"Hotel Rwanda" is good, but there's also another movie about the genocide in Rwanda. I think it's an English movie and though I can't come up with the name now I thought it was far superior, though "HotelRwanda" definitely wasn't bad either.

Saw "Die Hard 4.0" two days ago, I liked it. Much better then part 3 and some good jokes. Actually went back to watch the original "Die Hard" movie again yesterday (and enjoying it ).

Also saw "Syriana" again yesterday. I have seen it about 3 times now and continue to find it an intriguing movie. I have the feeling I will see new things everytime that I will watch this movie. Very clever, very cynical (maybe), but definitely good IMO.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Just watched The Kingdom a couple nights ago.

GREAT movie. The more I see Jamie Foxx, the more I like him. Sometimes it is hard to believe someone could come so far so fast in acting ability. He was always good with comedy, but to extend one's range this far is very impressive. I don't want to turn the thread into a Jamie Foxx discussion, but seeing him in Collateral was the first time I started thinking about him as an actor performing outside comedy. I hesitate to say that is when he started being a real actor, because I have great respect for actors who can do comedy, it is far harder than it looks or seems. After seeing him in Jarhead, Ray, and now The Kingdom, I am sold. Very fine actor.

Back to the movie; I found it RIVETING. The first 5 minutes of the movie explains the history of Saudi Arabia and how the relationship with the U.S. has evolved (and how current problems are obviously tied to mistakes made between the two nations) and sets a great tone for the next 15 minutes of the movie, which totally suck you in. There was no way I was not watching the rest of the movie after having watched the first 20 minutes.

My wife watched the first 20 minutes with me and then had to leave, so now I get to watch it again with her. I'm really looking forward to watching it again.

I recommend it highly.

Quote Originally Posted by 31andonly View Post

The phrase "a real genocide began to happen" makes it seem like the movie taught you something you didn't previously know... I'd hope that isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    In those two films, there's plenty of action, you don't get bored and they're not bad but in Identity they allow Bourne to show real pain over his situation, to make him vulnerable, to let you inside his head with the pain and confusion.
    That, and Identity didn't cause me to feel like I was constantly taking breaks to press my forehead against a baseball bat while spinning in place. That director's style just doesn't work for my brain and leaves me dizzy.

I'm now on to the Special edition DVD of The Abyss.
    I really like this movie.

I liked all of the Bourne movies, but the first one definitely seemed to be the easiest to connect with because the story was new and we were just being introduced to Jason Bourne. I find it somewhat difficult to watch the editing style of some of the newer movies coming out, so I can certainly sympathize with you, Mal...

I also liked The Abyss a lot when it came out. It won awards for special effects, but the story is a good one, and the acting is excellent as well. I like Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, and Michael Biehn quite a bit....The Rock and The Color of Money are two favorites....

I haven't seen Hotel Rwanda, but I recognize it for the quality film it is. I am aware of the devastation in Rwanda, but I have to be in the right mood/frame of mind to watch movies like that, and to my detriment, I haven't found myself motivated to watch it yet.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Turistas...

For the most part terrible, except for a couple of decent topless scenes I guess
    I watched "parts" of that.

sweabs

American Gangster - AWESOME movie. It was long, but I still wanted it to last even longer.

Death at a Funeral - Really funny for one of those "dark" or "black", British comedies.

Shoot 'em Up - Like Stryder said, it's a good movie if you accept it for what it is. We watched it on a BRAND NEW amazing home theatre system so that really helped out as well. Amazing surround sound, awesome picture...it was entertaining.