Page 136 of 340 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146186236 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 8494

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Christmas Vacation
    Last Holiday(with the inlaws)
    Harry Potter(whatever the latest movie was)
    The Santa Clause 3( they should have stopped at 2)
    The princess diaries 2
    All three american pie movies(before they started making straight to DVD's)

woman without a team

Charlie Wilson's War

Kegboy was impressed with Charlie's staff members.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Charlie Wilson's War

Kegboy was impressed with Charlie's staff.
    Fixed.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I saw "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" last night.

Wow, it certainly wasn't boring, and it certainly was something different. I'm not really too sure what to say about the movie though. It is clearly a musical which many in the theater evidently didn't know going in.

It was strange walking out because it seemed like almost everyone had a similar reaction, stunned speechlessness (is that a word)

It is difficult to describe. It is a musical, it is a slasher movie - very violent, there is some gallows humor, it had some of the same elements that "Gangs of New York" had,oh and it was a love story.

Visually it was stunning and I promise you as you sit there and watch the movie you have no idea what might be coming next.

Having said all of that, the story never really drew me in. At times it started too, there were times when I started to care about the characters, but then an annoying musical number would start or an extremely violent scene would change my attachment to the characters.

In many ways it was the sickest movie I've ever scene - no regard for human life at all.

I realize I'm taking the movie too litterally, but overall I can only say I really liked it and really hated it all at the same time.

If you want to see something totally different, it might be a good choice.

The Simpson's Movie. Got it for Christmas.

There were some pretty funny scenes in there. I would say it was enjoyable.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Eastern Promises
    better than History of Violence but it wasn't what I expected for it to be which left me disappointed....

American Pie Beta House
    I just shut it off after the first 30 minutes...too stupid...too graphic...which made me wonder...am i getting too old for this ****?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Best movies of 07:

1.) No Country for Old Men
    It was very difficult for me to pick a #1 because this was a good year at the top for films. No Country for Old Men is one of the best and most original films I've ever seen. Brilliantly acted and brilliantly written.

2.) Eastern Promises
    The Subplots are what makes this movie. There are 100 different things going on at once. It has a very realistic feel, it feels like your getting a glimpse of something that has a past and will have a future, not wrapped in to a neat little package. Viggo is incredible also.

3.) American Gangster
    Because my expectations going in where so incredibly high I was let down a little bit by this, but it was still excellent by itself. Russell Crowe should never try an American accent again by the way, terrible.

4.)Zodiac
    Starts out very slow, I wasn't sure if this movie was going to live up to its potential but it does. Very much so and its Jake Gyllenhaal that makes it happen. His characters progression as the movie goes on is brilliant.

5.) The Great Debaters
    I honestly didn't know what to think going in to this one, but it really was fantastic. Almost brought me to tears on 2 seperate occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Best movies of 07:

1.) No Country for Old Men
    It was very difficult for me to pick a #1 because this was a good year at the top for films. No Country for Old Men is one of the best and most original films I've ever seen. Brilliantly acted and brilliantly written.

2.) Eastern Promises
    The Subplots are what makes this movie. There are 100 different things going on at once. It has a very realistic feel, it feels like your getting a glimpse of something that has a past and will have a future, not wrapped in to a neat little package. Viggo is incredible also.

3.) American Gangster
    Because my expectations going in where so incredibly high I was let down a little bit by this, but it was still excellent by itself. Russell Crowe should never try an American accent again by the way, terrible.

4.)Zodiac
    Starts out very slow, I wasn't sure if this movie was going to live up to its potential but it does. Very much so and its Jake Gyllenhaal that makes it happen. His characters progression as the movie goes on is brilliant.

5.) The Great Debaters
    I honestly didn't know what to think going in to this one, but it really was fantastic. Almost brought me to tears on 2 seperate occasions.

Wow, I need to get to the movie theater. Sadly I have only seen one of those movies and that is Zodiac, but I plan to see the others.

I have a question about The Great Debaters. Is it too preachy, is it too heavy handed. Those are my concerns . ,

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I have a question about The Great Debaters. Is it too preachy, is it too heavy handed. Those are my concerns . ,
    I was really concerned it was going to be preachy after finding out that they have them debate Harvard in this film as opposed to USC, which they did in real life. I didn't find it to be that way in the least bit, but I have heard some people who saw the movie say they thought it was.

There is one scene where they are debating the Oklahoma City College debate team and there is a black audience cheering for the black college and a white audience cheering for the white college, and the way they shoot it bothered me a little bit. The white debater is arguing that colleges should not be segregated because since there is so much racial hatred in the world a black person would not get a fair shake at a college with whites, and they make a point of showing groups of whites nodding and agreeing. After the black debater makes her point all the blacks give a standing ovation and the whites sort of mumble to themselves and look angry. It just seemed a little bit over the top. However, the way they ended the movie put to bed any thoughts that I had like that. Definitley worth seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    I was really concerned it was going to be preachy after finding out that they have them debate Harvard in this film as opposed to USC, which they did in real life. I didn't find it to be that way in the least bit, but I have heard some people who saw the movie say they thought it was.

There is one scene where they are debating the Oklahoma City College debate team and there is a black audience cheering for the black college and a white audience cheering for the white college, and the way they shoot it bothered me a little bit. The white debater is arguing that colleges should not be segregated because since there is so much racial hatred in the world a black person would not get a fair shake at a college with whites, and they make a point of showing groups of whites nodding and agreeing. After the black debater makes her point all the blacks give a standing ovation and the whites sort of mumble to themselves and look angry. It just seemed a little bit over the top. However, the way they ended the movie put to bed any thoughts that I had like that. Definitley worth seeing.

Thanks, I will go see it for sure over the next couple of days. I like your taste in movies

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    Fixed.
    If you'd seen the movie you'd know the females are a lot more impressive than Charlie.

Isaac, I thought the audience reaction in the OK debate was pretty much what you'd expect in 1935.
    Last edited by grace; 12-29-2007 at 12:17 PM.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.... the Chuck Barris story.. wow it was a lot better then I thought it would be.. I would recommend it.
    12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

Mood

Sweeny Todd

I loved it. It does an excellent job of presenting a musical in movie form. NOT for everyone with it's very dark, very bloody/gory themes and images, but if you're not phased (much) by those things, you may enjoy it quite a bit. If you don't like musicals, then you'll probably not like it much. However, since I fortunately DO enjoy musicals AND dark movies/themes, this was a great combination for me.

I enjoyed the feel of the movie, the actors, the songs, the story. I just really liked this film. I bought the soundtrack on my way home last night.

Wink Re: What movie did you last watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Sweeny Todd

I loved it. It does an excellent job of presenting a musical in movie form. NOT for everyone with it's very dark, very bloody/gory themes and images, but if you're not phased (much) by those things, you may enjoy it quite a bit. If you don't like musicals, then you'll probably not like it much. However, since I fortunately DO enjoy musicals AND dark movies/themes, this was a great combination for me.

I enjoyed the feel of the movie, the actors, the songs, the story. I just really liked this film. I bought the soundtrack on my way home last night.
    Did you read what I wrote about that movie. It was a mixed bad for me. Somewhere at about the 15th or 16th throat that was slit, the movie just sort of lost me. Very memorable though.

Mood

It was fun hearing some of the audience reactions by that many throats. I don't get off on that kind of stuff, but I'm not very phased by it anymore so it's twisted fun to hear others react that are less immune.

Anyway, I accepted it as Todd just losing himself to vengeance and the fact that killing comes so easily for him. In the end it costs him everything.

"Zodiak"

Good movie. I liked the pacing and character development. I also liked the movie because it left me wanting to know a little more about the real story, other suspects, and alternate theories.

I also give it high marks because it could've delved into the family aspect of the cartoonist and (IMHO) wasted time with that angle instead of staying on track with the larger theme of the movie. But the movie deftly let you know what was happening there, but didn't derail the movie with a sappy side angle.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Shoot 'em Up

Its a good movie for getting away from reality and just enjoy some mindless fun. It had some unique things which I had not seen before in an action movie. Would recommend it to all

The Heartbreak Kid

I'm tired of movies that combine gross things with comedies...its like a bad combo like romantic-comedy...

Rush Hour 3
    Not good at all, they squeezed that turnip dry.

The Condemned
    It suprised me, if you just want to see one of those shoot-em-up guy movies this one is better than most. Stone Cold is a bad dude.

Who's your caddy? This one suprised me also, Big Boi was decent and so was the writing. Not quite as classic as "Caddyshack" but it's good if you're not expecting alot.

I am Legend.

Was very disappointed in this - will vent in the I am Legend thread.

Two hours of my life I'll never have back.

edit: Never mind - I'll vent here. It'll just be briefer and more general.

Shallow plot, simplistic theme - I'd say it was pretty much a standard horror movie type theme without quite as much graphic violence. "Science unlocks the genie in the bottle, Humans turn into nasty things that try to kill you, post-apocalyptic survivor tries to save the world." I usually like Will Smith as an actor but he couldn't save this - wasn't enough interaction with other people, unless you think mannequins and a dog are people.

Bleh. 28 Days Later was MUCH better.

Heck, Shawn of the Dead was better. At least it matched my expectations.
    Last edited by DisplacedKnick; 12-31-2007 at 02:42 PM.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

National Treasure 2: It was what it was. Completely over the top and unbelievable, but it was a good bit of escapism with my wife. Two things that jumped out. 1. London has no ploice force. 2. Wouldn't the price of gold plumit if a City of Gold was discovered? That would be the main reason to keep it a secret.

Mr. Brooks: Bought his on In Demand the other day. Very interesting movie. Saw the ending coming, but it was still interesting. The title and previews don't really tell what is coning, which is better than completely telling the story.

Of the previews i saw during NT, the only two movies i found interesting were the new Pixar movie and the new George Clooney football one. It looked as if it could be pretty funny in a "brother where art thou' kind of way. No idea if the story about legitamizing pro football is in any way realistic or not.

watched the first 30 minutes of I Am Legend. Still a great great movie. I am going to watch the entire thing with a friend later this week and I will love every minute of it. Such a good freaking movie.

Quote Originally Posted by newman8r View Post
    watched the first 30 minutes of I Am Legend. Still a great great movie. I am going to watch the entire thing with a friend later this week and I will love every minute of it. Such a good freaking movie.
    It's just a movie.

(Sorry, that was me being not so nice. I'm glad you liked the movie as much as me...I would hope after watching it a number of times again that you would have some more to discuss in our other thread. Please, if you have more insight to offer or questions for us to ponder, I would love to discuss further. I have gotten a few other new movies since I Am Legend, and between watching those and family commitments, I haven't had much chance to peruse my very good quality rip of IAL. When I do check it out again, and/or when my friends and I come up with questions/thoughts, I will post in the official thread!)
    Last edited by heywoode; 01-01-2008 at 06:51 PM.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Independence Day

It was playing on TV and it had been a few years since I last watched it. Still a good movie.

streets ahead

Shattered Glass (B-)
    wasn't overwhelmed by it but sarsgaard was great, hayden wasn't bad either.

First Snow (C-)
    guy pearce is enjoyable, but it was kinda like a poor man's memento. i'm a sucker for noir but i found the script/story disappointing.
    This is the darkest timeline.

I Am Legend

Everyone knows my thoughts

Knocked Up

Has some good one liners and scenes but as a whole I think it is too long and it has the same cheesy ending that most movies do. Still a very funny movie.