Page 109 of 349 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119159209 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 8709

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Pirates 3: At World's End - The 3 hours were worth it. But please don't try to go see it without watching the first two...

Evan Almighty - Funny. Short. But funny. I think Bruce Almighty was funnier, but thats because Jim Carey was in it. But it surprised me that there is actually a sequel that you don't have to see the first one to understand.

Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer - Too short. The movie itself, without previews and credits, was like less than an hour long. The ending sucked. But other than that, it was alright. FYI, I personally think if you didn't see the first one, you will be lost.
    Last edited by indyman37; 07-01-2007 at 10:50 PM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Batman Begins wasn't a sequel; it was a reboot.
    Exactly.

And the rule with sequels IMO is the same as the rule with all films - who produces, who directs, who writes, who acts. If those are good you're gonna be okay.

No coincidence that Lucas brought in great writers for Empire, then dumped them for Jedi and onward. Coppola simply did the rest of the book for Godfather 2, thus being a "dead heat" which most agree with I think.

Cameron in his prime did both Aliens and T2 and it shows.

Now Dawn of the Dead better than Night of...no way and I still sorta like the original Dawn, but Night of was brilliant work by Romero. The remake of Dawn was fantastic IMO and better than the original.

People get too hung up on remakes and sequels like they are inherently bad things. They aren't. The problem is that studios and exec producers (ie the money not the hands-on producers) USE and ABUSE the franchise name to make a quick buck most of the time. Put any hacks on the project and let the rep earn us some money, rather than paying to keep good talent involved in the process. Planet of the Apes is just one of many examples where it gets progressive worse this way.

Oh, and it also helps if you don't have the writers still writing the script WHILE you are filming - ie, the 2 Pirates sequels.

DHard 4 - solid action film despite some stretches on reality even by DH rules. Also DH is a great example of a sequel being terrible due to director. Hack Renny Harlin came on board for DH2 and it tanked, so they brought back McTieren for 3 and it showed (though its been rough for him since then).

Ghost Rider - bland direction, uneven acting by Cage though he is cast well, spotty plot points that ruin an otherwise good story...most of that was saved by some great visual FX and art direction. Sad that they got the toughest part right (his look and behavior) and blew just about everything else. This is the same guy that did Daredevil and Electra and it shows.

Black Snake Moan - if you liked Hustle and Flow you should love this. I was very happy with this modern southern folk tale and I love how he keeps sneaking this heartwarming relationships underneath a surface of depravity and apparent exploitation. The way this film was advertised plays on that exploitation without the slightest hint about it's heart.

1408 - nice to see a rare good King story on film, in large part thanks to Cusak's effort. Still has touches of King-camp to the story, but at least it's not about alien ghosts who are creating monsters in a lab but lose control of them when gov't bio-weapons are used (maybe just 1 premise at a time there Steve, okay).

I have a confession to make.

I broke down and saw a sequel last night and it wasn't half bad. Really I had no choice, when you decide to go to a movie in the middle of this horrible summer movie season you have no real choice but to see a sequel especially when the person you go to the movie with says I've never heard of 1408 - it can't be any good.

Saw "Die Hard 4" last night that is what I call it anyway. And really it wasn't bad. I'd say it wasn't as good as the first "Die Hard" (which is clearly wasn't) but it was better than the 2nd or 3rd "Die Hard" but I really don't know that since I didn't see those two movies.

The action was way over-the-top, but I thought it had some funny lines and the correct tone as it didn't take itself too seriously.

So that wasn't half bad.

Second confession: I saw a Micheal Bay movie last night also. Of course I didn't know it was a Michael Bay movie until about half-way through and what can you do then, be a jerk and demand the movie be shut off, or leave in a tizzy saying I refuse to see Michael Bay movies.

The movie was "the Island" from a couple of years ago, we started watching it and either I missed the opening credits or just spaced it. But the first 1/3 of the movie didn't seem like a Michael Bay movie, but all of a sudden when they escaped the underground what ever you call it and it started doing that Michael bay thing, I turned to my friend and said, "wait is this a Michael Bay movie, it has to be I'm getting whiplash and a headache" to which he said to me, "what is a Michael Bay movie" At that point I decided to say nevermind and make the best of the situation. So I sat through it and tried to enjopy it as best I could. A regretful decision on my part.

Ghost Rider - It's unfortunate that this was a semi-enjoyable movie that could have been much more. The dialogue was bland and unimaginative and the actors were very stiff, other than the bad guys & Elliott. Cage was weak and Eva Mendez was horrible - could have taken an attractive cardboard cutout, hooked up a tape recorder and it would have offered as much to this movie as she did. Worth seeing? I guess - but I was left with a, "Is that it?" feeling.

Black Snake Moan - Interesting movie and seeing Ricci in her underwear the entire show (except when she was out of it) was't bad. And I always like Samuel L. The only thing I thought it lacked was setting Samuel L up as more of a tortured soul than he was - one of the deleted scenes should have been included which would have added a lot - the one about his ex's pregnancy. Also, the Reverand's character could have been expanded - good flick though.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I finally watched the second Pirates of the Carribean this weekend. Pretty good, but damn it ****ed me off when it really didn't have an ending....I knew that was coming, but both my wife and I looked at each other sand said "that's it?". Much like she does when Btown comes around....

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Zing!
    Narf!

Saw Miami Vice this weekend. I had heard a few bad things, but I thought it was really good actually. Seems like another of these 2:20 minute movies that could have been 2:00, but it was actually pretty dense considering the current state of over-long movies from self-important directors.

Essentially, it was a "dark" version of the TV show, right down to the literal sense of charcoal and black suits instead of pink, white and blue. And I was particularly impressed by how strong and detailed the "drug bust" story was. Colin and Jamie Foxx made a good, although a lot different, Crockett and Tubbs.

As far as Michael Mann movies go, it wasn't as good as Heat or Last of the Mohicans, but better than Collateral and Ali (which I liked a lot, though I hear most people didn't).
    Last edited by JayRedd; 07-02-2007 at 12:09 PM.

I watched Grease twice last night.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Mourning: seems like we tend to like the same movies. "Zodiak" was a great movie - another movie to look for is "Lookout" those are the two best movies I've seen this year. i think you'd like "Lookout"

As far as sequels go, Empire strikes back is the best of the 6 movies, Godfather 2 - although I still like the original one better and same thing with T2 which was a good movie, but the original Terminator was better.

Speed2 might have been the worst movie I've ever seen, and I loved Speed.
    I reallyliked Mission Impossible - the first one, the second and third one I did not like.

The only other sequal that I can think of that was better than the original was Aliens - but that movie came out about 7 or 8 years later.
    Ok. Haven't heard about "Lookout" yet, but I think I will check on it tonight to see what sort of story it is. Further, I fully aggree about your sequals part. "Aliens" was a superb sci-fi thriller/horror/action movie. "MI-I" is by FAR the best of the 3 movies. Two was easily the worst, while the third was so-so, see it once and never again after that.

I liked "T1" better then "Judgment Day" aswell, but both were absolutely good.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Saw Miami Vice this weekend. I had heard a few bad things, but I thought it was really good actually. Seems like another of these 2:20 minute movies that could have been 2:00, but it was actually pretty dense considering the current state of over-long movies from self-important directors.

Essentially, it was a "dark" version of the TV show, right down to the literal sense of charcoal and black suits instead of pink, white and blue. And I was particularly impressed by how strong and detailed the "drug bust" story was. Colin and Jamie Foxx made a good, although a lot different, Crockett and Tubbs.

As far as Michael Mann movies go, it wasn't as good as Heat or Last of the Mohicans, but better than Collateral and Ali (which I liked a lot, though I hear most people didn't).
    I liked "Collateral", but wasn't as enarmoured with "Heat" as some seem to be. It just doesn't really touch or grab me. "Last of the Mohicans" was good. "Miami Vice" ... I hated, really hated it. All style, no substance. Almost a non-existent story line. And a woman that was supposed to be "THE" babe of the movie I found to be extremely annoying.

Nah, sorry, not my movie .

Regards,

Mourning
    Last edited by Mourning; 07-02-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    I finally watched the second Pirates of the Carribean this weekend. Pretty good, but damn it ****ed me off when it really didn't have an ending....I knew that was coming, but both my wife and I looked at each other sand said "that's it?". Much like she does when Btown comes around....
    The way the leave you, you don't know whether they are going to make another one or just stop.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just saw Shooter, kick @ss movie!
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Ok. Haven't heard about "Lookout" yet, but I think I will check on it tonight to see what sort of story it is. Further, I fully aggree about your sequals part. "Aliens" was a superb sci-fi thriller/horror/action movie. "MI-I" is by FAR the best of the 3 movies. Two was easily the worst, while the third was so-so, see it once and never again after that.

I liked "T1" better then "Judgment Day" aswell, but both were absolutely good.

Regards,

Mourning
    Here is some info on Lookout from Rotten tomatoes

And here is what I wrote about it back in March when I saw it in the theaters

saw "The Lookout" today. A really, really good movie. It just goes to show you that if you build the characters first and then add in the action, it is just much more suspenseful - because you really care about characters. Why don't more movie makers realize this.

I highly recommend this movie.

Here is a clip for Ebert and Roeper - you have to find the Lookout in the now playing section. Although you might not want to watch the clips because it gives parts of the movie away. Just a fantastic movie though

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lookout/
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-02-2007 at 04:18 PM.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Music and Lyrics - just your average DVD flick that revolves around POP music...

Pan's Labyrinth - It wasn't boring...but I just didn't really care too much about the ending. Nevertheless it was an alright movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Just saw Shooter, kick @ss movie!
    I just watched that as well. Mark is in beastmode.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    I liked "Collateral", but wasn't as enarmoured with "Heat" as some seem to be. It just doesn't really touch or grab me. "Last of the Mohicans" was good. "Miami Vice" ... I hated, really hated it. All style, no substance. Almost a non-existent story line. And a woman that was supposed to be "THE" babe of the movie I found to be extremely annoying.

Nah, sorry, not my movie .

Regards,

Mourning
    I really liked Collateral until
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    After that, the whole thing was just pretty ridiculous and unbelievable.

As for Miami Vice, I agree somewhat about both the girls. Not sure which you're referring too,
    Spoiler Spoiler:

But that was the only problem I had with the whole flick, so I'll forgive it.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Big Difference between Vice and Collateral: Cruise >>>>> Colin Farrell
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watched Die Hard last night, and I thought it sucked.

The first 3 movies were actually some what realistic. They weren't something one man could do, but mostly inside the realm of reality. the 4th is just the opposite.

There were so many instances where I actually laughed aloud during the action scenes because they were just completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    IAs for Miami Vice, I agree somewhat about both the girls. Not sure which you're referring too,
    Spoiler Spoiler:

But that was the only problem I had with the whole flick, so I'll forgive it.
    Well both chicks were annoying, but the Asian one ... IF she would have been pretty, maybe I could have overlooked the other elements you mentioned in your post, but IMO she wasn't and I thought it was a pretty major part of the movie, so I am definitely holding it against the movie, together with amongst other things the total lack of a good and decent plot.

Like I said style above substances and in 9 out 10 cases I don't like that, but that's just me .

Regards,

Mourning

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Transformers.

Pretty good, could have been better. Most of the decisions I disagreed with from the get go I still disagree with in hindsight.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    Transformers.

Pretty good, could have been better. Most of the decisions I disagreed with from the get go I still disagree with in hindsight.
    Please explain on how you would have done some of the things "better" or different.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    Please explain on how you would have done some of the things "better" or different.
    First and foremost, better robot designs. Not blocky G1-type designs, but something slightly less resembling a mech or a combination of random shifting metal pieces that don't appear to actually transform into anything.

NO PRIME LIPS!!!

I'd have also had a bit less humor. Humor is good, but they went overboard with it in places.

NO PRIME LIPS!!!

Frank Welker as Megatron, rather than Hugo Weaving. Welker has a more alien voice and would have fit the character of Megs much better. Weaving didn't add anything memorable to the character.

NO PRIME LIPS!!!

More reasonable reactions from humans' first contact with the TFs. Nobody seemed to take them seriously at all, instead opting for cracking joke after joke ("It must be Japanese!" or "Are you the tooth fairy?").

And, of course, NO PRIME LIPS!!!!!!

The CG, however, was fantastic, as was the animation. I'd make no changes there at all.

Live Free or Die Hard

I really enjoyed it. I haven't seen the other Die Hard movies, but watching Bruce Willis kick butt is always fun.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Die Hard (1). I'd forgotten how good this one is.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Live Free or Die Hard

I really enjoyed it. I haven't seen the other Die Hard movies, but watching Bruce Willis kick butt is always fun.
    Go buy part 1 NOW!!! That's required watching, dammit!