Page 10 of 347 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

I thought it was "OK", but nothing really special. Nice to see, but nothing to really see more than twice. Just my opinion.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Ray.

I thought Jamie Foxx did very well and carried the movie. I thought the movie itself was not well done. Cinematography was nothing special (actually it was borderline bad). Pacing was awkward. Story telling was weak. Some scenes dragged on while other scenes were much too short.

If the acting hadn't been excellent in the lead role this movie would've fallen flat IMHO. IOW, Jamie Foxx had to be excellent. 'Good' would not have been enough to prop up the rest of the movie.

....Or maybe I expected too much going in.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie but it isn't one that I care to see again necessarily.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The other night we rented Flight of the Phoenix and it sucked like 40 hoover vacuums wired up in series.

Then my Daughter forced us to rent the Spongebob Squarepants Movie. There's another hour and a half I'll never get back.

Thank goodness I rented the Incredibles before that or I'd be having a pretty bad run.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ray.

I thought Jamie Foxx did very well and carried the movie. I thought the movie itself was not well done. Cinematography was nothing special (actually it was borderline bad). Pacing was awkward. Story telling was weak. Some scenes dragged on while other scenes were much too short.
    Borderline bad? This is the same guy who shot The Pianist. The cinematography was the only thing that kept me watching the screen at times. Not that I thought it was exceptionally shot, but it certainly wasn't borderline bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Borderline bad? This is the same guy who shot The Pianist. The cinematography was the only thing that kept me watching the screen at times. Not that I thought it was exceptionally shot, but it certainly wasn't borderline bad.
    As I said... I might've expected too much. You're right, using 'bad' (even with 'borderline') was too harsh. I should've just stuck with saying the cinematography was nothing special.

I was just a bit letdown.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    As I said... I might've expected too much. You're right, using 'bad' (even with 'borderline') was too harsh. I should've just stuck with saying the cinematography was nothing special.

I was just a bit letdown.

-Bball
    Isn't that the case with most over-hyped Hollywood films? I've learned not to set my expectations too high with big studio pictures.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

School of Rock - second time I've seen it and it was definitely better the 2nd time. I really liked it.

Walking Tall - This movie was good, not great, but there is something I really like about The Rock and his movies. The Rundown was awesome.

Harmonica

Oldboy. A Korean flick. Excellent.

Harmonica

Downfall. German film which was one of this year's Oscar nominees for best foreign film. It's about the last days inside Hitler's bunker. A near masterpiece. Best film I've seen in a long, long time.

Downfall. German film which was one of this year's Oscar nominees for best foreign film. It's about the last days inside Hitler's bunker. A near masterpiece. Best film I've seen in a long, long time.

I almost saw that Saturday night, but we saw the "Upside of Anger" . Pretty good movie actually.

Incredibles. Not too bad at all, several really good punch lines in the movie

GI Jane, for like the 1000th time, but I love to see Demi kick some ***.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Enemy at the Gates - Very good film about a russian sniper (Jude Law) fighting against a german sniper (Ed Harris). Some great shots and you get to see Rachel Weisz's ***.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I almost saw that Saturday night, but we saw the "Upside of Anger" . Pretty good movie actually.
    WOW! You REALLY missed something, seriously! "Der Untergang" as it's called in german is a really, really good movie if only to hear and see Hitler in a movie actually speaking german and not continuously screaming like a maniac (though he does do that several times during the movie which is both humorous aswell as tragic), actually like a real character. Great job welldone on that movie, which I definitely will buy on DVD ASAP.

Another GREAT warmovie from out of the states is also German and called "Stalingrad" about the battle for .... DUH! Really good movie too though .

The UK with "Warriors" is also a truly brilliant wardrama with the story beying centered on a group of english soldiers that get send to Bosnia for the UNPROFOR-mission there at the beginning of the 1990's and the problems and tragedies they face in theire mission, particularly the ENORMOUS frustration with the RUE's (Rules Of Engagement). Brilliant piece!

Regards,

Mourning

Quote Originally Posted by cramerica
    Enemy at the Gates - Very good film about a russian sniper (Jude Law) fighting against a german sniper (Ed Harris). Some great shots and you get to see Rachel Weisz's ***.
    Yeah, an "OK" movie about a small battle between snipers in the huge bloodbath that gave the german army a blow they never recovered from called in Stalingrad. Weisz is NICE btw, LOVED her in the Mummy!

Regards,

Mourning

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    "Der Untergang" as it's called in german is a really, really good movie if only to hear and see Hitler in a movie actually speaking german and not continuously screaming like a maniac (though he does do that several times during the movie which is both humorous aswell as tragic), actually like a real character. Great job welldone on that movie, which I definitely will buy on DVD ASAP.
    I was blown away by Bruno Ganz' portrait of Hitler. He humanized him in a way I've never seen before. Here's an excerpt from a review that sums up the movie pretty well:

In the end, it doesn't take much to see evil coming when it's wearing horns and carrying a pitchfork. "Downfall" reminds us that the challenge of citizenship means recognizing evil when leaders are smiling, playing with their dogs and being photographed with children.

Another GREAT war movie from out of the states is also German and called "Stalingrad" about the battle for .... DUH! Really good movie too though .
    I'll have to check that out. Have you seen Oldboy?

Haven't seen "Oldboy", actually ... never heard of it. Should I hide in a corner in shame? Seriously, never heard about it.

Regards,

Mourning

Shogun Assassin, the one the little girl wants to watch before she goes to bed in Kill Bill 2
    great movie

Harmonica

Haven't seen "Oldboy", actually ... never heard of it. Should I hide in a corner in shame? Seriously, never heard about it.
    Well...now you have.

Well...now you have.
    Yes, guess I have, I'll try and find a little more about it on the net .

Regards,

Mourning

I just watched it old boy last night. great story, acting, directing everything is great. Very disturbing though, you won't leave the movie with a great feeling and as one reviewer wrote you need an iron stomach to watch it.

Okay, I bought some DVDs from Amazon and just got around to watching some of them. Other than taking a big chunk of time out to watch part of my new 21 Jump Street collection (I know, I know... ) I just re-watched Electra Glide in Blue, which I haven't seen in a long, long time. A tad nihilistic, to say the least. I fell in love with this movie and the power of Robert Blake all over again. What was disappointing was the director's commentary. Some of the stuff, that in the past I thought were possibly calculated directoral decisions, oftentimes were just the result of luck or an actor ad-libbing something or a smart cameraman.

The director said he likened this movie to a western, but looking at it now, I dare say, it falls distinctly within the realm of a film noir type movie. If you guys get a chance, you should check it out. Read a description of the movie at Amazon.com. Really, really, good movie. (Notice I didn't say great.)

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    Okay, I bought some DVDs from Amazon and just got around to watching some of them. Other than taking a big chunk of time out to watch part of my new 21 Jump Street collection (I know, I know... ) I just re-watched Electra Glide in Blue, which I haven't seen in a long, long time. A tad nihilistic, to say the least. I fell in love with this movie and the power of Robert Blake all over again. What was disappointing was the director's commentary. Some of the stuff, that in the past I thought were possibly calculated directoral decisions, oftentimes were just the result of luck or an actor ad-libbing something or a smart cameraman.

The director said he likened this movie to a western, but looking at it now, I dare say, it falls distinctly within the realm of a film noir type movie. If you guys get a chance, you should check it out. Read a description of the movie at Amazon.com. Really, really, good movie. (Notice I didn't say great.)
    I always liked 21 jump street.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Dazed and Confused

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by pollardfreek
    Dazed and Confused
    Love it.

Night and the City. A really good film noir.

Saw Shaun of the Dead last night.

High-larious. Even without the humor it's still one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen.

IndyToad
    You've got some red on you