Page 374 of 375 FirstFirst ... 274324364370371372373374375 LastLast
Results 9,326 to 9,350 of 9361

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    La La Land

Damn good musical. Damn good movie. I didn't like the opening song, but really dug all the other songs in the movie.

it was a likeable movie. But I do not believe it is worthy of best picture. I like 6 of the films nominated better.

"Palm trees on the snow" on Netflix, great movie 5 stars.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    it was a likeable movie. But I do not believe it is worthy of best picture. I like 6 of the films nominated better.
    Of the one's I've seen Hidden Figures will be hard to beat... (for me).
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

The Boss- Terrible movie for some reason I couldn't stop watching probably because I liked everyone else but Melissa McCarthy(whom I liked best in Gilmore Girls)

A United Kingdom- Saw an advanced screening for this beautifully shot was based on a true story thought it was well done.

A Evening Star- Sequel to Terms of Endearment I didn't hate it but it wasn't special either although now it was eerie to watch it considering the news about Bill Paxton I heard shortly after I finished it.

Manchester by the sea, meh.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Saw Get Out last night and it was incredible.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorgeForPresident View Post
    Saw Get Out last night and it was incredible.
    Is it a dark comedy?

(No pun intended)

Wow. Another "Steve Harvey" moment during best picture at Oscars tonight. La La Land was already making their speeches when they had to pull their awards away and give them to Moonlight. Blame Warren Beatty this time. Actually, I blame the show organizers for not letting the presenters know who won BEFORE they open the envelope. This is getting ridiculous. Have to feel bad for the people from La La Land.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Wow. Another "Steve Harvey" moment during best picture at Oscars tonight. La La Land was already making their speeches when they had to pull their awards away and give them to Moonlight. Blame Warren Beatty this time. Actually, I blame the show organizers for not letting the presenters know who won BEFORE they open the envelope. This is getting ridiculous. Have to feel bad for the people from La La Land.
    Didn't Faye Dunaway read the "winner"? I'm not sure how that's Warren's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Didn't Faye Dunaway read the "winner"? I'm not sure how that's Warren's fault.
    You are right. Forgot that. Warren was stalling because he was confused and then he passed the buck on to Dunaway. I believe he had an envelope that said "Emma Stone.....best actress....La La Land" and he was confused. All of this could have been avoided if Warren would just have called to the side of the stage and said, "I believe I have the wrong envelope". Yes, it was probably the show's producers that were at fault, but Warren should have known he had the wrong envelope as soon as he opened it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He knew, he looked to Faye for help, but she just read La la land. This is all on the Oscars, not the presenters.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    He knew, he looked to Faye for help, but she just read La la land. This is all on the Oscars, not the presenters.
    Isn't that what I just said? Still, all he had to do was ask for help before announcing the wrong winner or bailing like he did. That wouldn't have been near as big a deal as announcing the wrong winner. Somewhere Steve Harvey just took a deep breath sigh of relief.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

I mean it's easy to criticize, but it's not something they deal with usually and certainly not those presenters. It's hard to think on your feet in a situation where the world is watching.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Isn't that what I just said? Still, all he had to do was ask for help before announcing the wrong winner or bailing like he did. That wouldn't have been near as big a deal as announcing the wrong winner. Somewhere Steve Harvey just took a deep breath sigh of relief.
    Or maybe place the blame on whatever idiot handed him the wrong card and sent him out there in front of a hundred million people.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

I actually stayed up to watch it live. I kept telling myself just go to bed, but something kept me up. It was crazy to watch live, and even more surreal to go back and watch as the news was passed around on stage.

Evidently there are two envelopes for each category - with the same name, but somehow Warren Beatty got the second envelope for best actress which was the award given just before. Emma Stone who won best actress still had her envelope backstage. And since Emma Stone was an actress for La-La Land, it makes sense that the card had her name and La-La land on it.

They were given the wrong card.

Warren should have realized he had the wrong card.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's not Beatty's fault. The academy hires PWC - one of the most prestigious firms in the world - so that the process is smooth and presenters aren't put on a position where they have to "realize" an error in the heat of the moment with the whole world watching.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-27-2017 at 10:52 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I actually stayed up to watch it live. I kept telling myself just go to bed, but something kept me up. It was crazy to watch live, and even more surreal to go back and watch as the news was passed around on stage.

Evidently there are two envelopes for each category - with the same name, but somehow Warren Beatty got the second envelope for best actress which was the award given just before. Emma Stone who won best actress still had her envelope backstage. And since Emma Stone was an actress for La-La Land, it makes sense that the card had her name and La-La land on it.

They were given the wrong card.

Warren should have realized he had the wrong card.
    he obviously realized he had the wrong card. On live TV in front of the entire world he froze up and looked to his co-presenter for help and she was so uncomfortable up there she screwed up too.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I didn't intend to blame Warren Beatty - it was not his fault. Not his job to decide whether his card is correct or not. The card did have La-La Land on it, so it makes sense how and why the mistake happened from the presenters.

My only point was in hindsight he should have realized the card was wrong and so should she have. But I understand her mistake also.

Obviously far away the biggest mistake was they had the wrong card. That simply cannot happen. And on the biggest award of the night and an upset too.

By the way I agree with Moonlight getting best picture instead of La-La land. I bet this was a year when the voting was really close

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I mean he did realize he had the wrong card, he did turn for help, but unfortunately he looked for help from Faye who didn't see the mistake. I don't blame either of them.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I get that it's tradition and it makes for a good visual I guess, but why do they even need the cards? just put it in the teleprompter and have them announce it.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I get that it's tradition and it makes for a good visual I guess, but why do they even need the cards? just put it in the teleprompter and have them announce it.
    What if someone put the wrong name on the tele. That might be more of a possibility than what happened last night.

Another point on the presenters. Beatty is 79 years old and Faye is 76. I wouldn't want my parents up there having to correct someone else's blunder

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Or maybe place the blame on whatever idiot handed him the wrong card and sent him out there in front of a hundred million people.
    I already placed the blame on the show's producers. Did you not read my first post on the subject? Just saying that Beatty could have avoided the whole mess, but he is far from blame.

Well, the alleged background to the entire things makes it more funny.
    Pre show: Apparently, Warren and Faye had a small feud over who would read the winner. Each wanting to do it. They didn't even bother for both to do blocking at rehearsal and did it individually instead.
    Ultimately, Warren gave in and agreed Faye could read the winner.

So fast forward to the actual show... Warren is a bit confused looking at the card. That's obvious, especially watching it in hindsight. Meanwhile, Faye is acting weird as Beatty fumbles with the card. Probably thinking Warren is going to read it after agreeing to let her read it. Watch her actions with knowledge that she thinks she's going to get to read the card and Warren isn't handing it to her. At least thinking he's teasing her. So, realizing there's a potential problem and a little confused he goes to show her the card, likely for some confirmation on what to do. But instead of her understanding what's going on, she's just thankful he didn't steal her spotlight and immediately reads it. Boom! Instant internet infamy!
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: