Page 199 of 349 FirstFirst ... 99149189195196197198199200201202203209249299 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,975 of 8709

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Burn After Reading

Not what we expected, but good none the less. The events are to the extreme, but it reflected life in the whole concept.

Outlander

All i could think about while watching this movie was the South Park episode where the kids get rid of their parents by saying their parents molested them. And through all the chaos Cartman ends up yelling "Outlander, Outlander" multiple times so I just kept repeating the title in my head in Cartman's voice.

But the movie it self I did not like. Some very terrible acting, terrible story, terrible job at making me think it took place in 706A.D. what with the language and way they talked. Just a big ****ing waste of my time.

Frost/Nixon

Now I am not one who usually enjoys a political movie but this movie was excellent. I now understand why it received the nominations it did. Being Canadian I had no idea about Watergate and what it was all about. It was cool to learn something and learn it from a movie that was worth watching. I highly recommend this one.

Ratatouille- I finally got to see it, and I loved it. Well done Pixar
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Pride and Glory

What a nothing movie. Nothing new to add to the cop genre of movies. Poorly acted outside of Edward Norton and just a stupid story. A total waste of my time. If you have seen a cop movie before don't bother watching this unless you are a die hard fan of one of the actors. Stories were told that didn't need to be, overacting throughout, unbelievable characters, poor make-up effects and just not directed or shot very well.

sweabs

Sharkwater

Please watch it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Human Highway

Neil Young, Devo, Dennis Hopper, Russ Tamblyn, Dean Stockwell, radioactive waste - they sure don't make 'em like this anymore.

Taken

Good show. Always like Liam Neeson though I think there was time enough for a little more investigative depth to be worked in. And they may have overdone the odd shutter speed thing a little.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Miracle at St. Anna - it was frustrating because parts were good, but overall it was very disjointed - seemed almost 2 or 3 movies were pasted together into one movie. There were some very good exciting and heartwarming moments, followed by scenes that makes you just want to scratch your head.

W - It was OK - Josh Brolin as W was excellent. Surprised Rice didn't sue for defammation and the same with Dick Cheney. I have no idea how accurate the movie is seems to be inaccurate in pretty much all the current day stuff. Overall though I was rather bored
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-09-2009 at 10:21 AM.

New in Town: My wife drug me off to see this. If you've ever watched one of those ABC family channel christmas movies (God love you if you have not btw) where big city girl goes home for christmas, initially hates the hicks but then falls in love with the burly local stud (who later turns out to be a college educated person who chose a simplier life style) and decides to stay there then you have already seen this movie.

Honestly it had a few funny moments but overall it was a sappy snooze fest.

Now on another level it reminded me of how people on the coast view mid western people. This was based in MN however it could have been any any state from OH to CO. It's always great when people paint other people with a broad paint brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Miracle at St. Anna - it was frustrating because parts were good, but overall it was very disjointed - seemed almost 2 or 3 movies were pasted together into one movie. There were some very good exciting and heartwarming moments, followed by scenes that makes you just want to scratch your head.

W - It was OK - Josh Brolin as W was excellent. Surprised Rice didn't sue for defammation and the same with Dick Cheney. I have no idea how accurate the movie is seems to be inaccurate in pretty much all the current day stuff. Overall though I was rather bored
    I don't mean to turn this political, but I thought Cheney was pretty well portrayed, for a movie. Seems pretty accurate from what I've heard from people "in the know" in the Bush White House. I think we're going to be shocked decades from know when the Bush records get declassified at just how big Cheney's role was. That's it for the political here.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I don't mean to turn this political, but I thought Cheney was pretty well portrayed, for a movie. Seems pretty accurate from what I've heard from people "in the know" in the Bush White House. I think we're going to be shocked decades from know when the Bush records get declassified at just how big Cheney's role was. That's it for the political here.
    Cheney - big role - yes, sinister and menacing as he was in the movie - no .

I do wonder what Stone's source materal was on the several high level meetings that were portrayed in the movie. Overall I thought the movie offered no real insight into Bush or his presidency

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Zack and Miri x3

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Miracle at St. Anna ... C+
    i really wanted to like this film. i did. but i couldn't. there are lots of great moments, but the film is infuriatingly unfocused. too much time is spent on characters that really mean very little (or in the case of john leguizamo absolutely nothing) to the story. i give it a C+ because despite the problems, Spike clearly had a vision and a story that he wanted told on his terms - and he did that, clearly without the interference of an editor.
    after reading your review i went back to remember what i had posted. looks like we came out of it on the same page.

W. ... C-
    really didn't enjoy this. it just felt slapped together - a series of stories scattered like buckshot without bothering to find a solid narrative. it plays like a cliff's notes re-enactment of a bob woodward book / maureen dowd column hybrid. i was disappointed because there are a handful of great stories for films about this man: his administration, the Iraq war, the Bush family complex, etc. stone chooses to use the daddy/jeb inferiority but only superficially - he never fully commits to telling that story just has james cromwell keep saying "i'm disappointed, junior." performances were equally mixed. brolin gave a great performance. i enjoyed dreyfuss also. the rest were just caricatures (especially condi). as for the timing question:

i don't mind the way stone ends the movie: an open-ended question about where W. stands in the history books, especially considering the number of times W. himself has used "history will tell" as justification for a variety of decisions. that being said, i do think a significantly stronger movie could (and probably will) be made years from now.
    we seem to agree overall that it wasn't a good film but our reasons seem to differ.

also, a defamation lawsuit would require cheney and rice to prove that A) they suffered hatred or financial loss as a direct result of this film and B) they'd have to prove the people involved with the film were reckless with the truth in their portrayal of public figures (like tabloids often get sued by celebs). both are laughable considering, as you say later, this movie doesn't cover any new ground.

I do wonder what Stone's source materal was on the several high level meetings that were portrayed in the movie.
    ask and the google will provide... from Nikki Finke's Deadline Hollywood Daily

How accurate is the movie about George W Bush's life and presidency?
    Stone is telling the press that Stanley Weiser's script based the movie primarily on materials in the public domain. But that only means that Stone, who's notoriously cavalier about using exclusively reported material from books and then claiming it's all public domain, didn't bother to buy the movie rights from any of the non-fiction authors (which would have been the incredibly expensive but also legally proper thing to do). Production insiders tell me that the key sources for the screenplay and film were all these books: Plan of Attack, Bush at War, and State of Denial by Washington Post investigative journalist Bob Woodward; The Price of Loyalty and The One Percent Doctrine by the former senior national affairs writer for the Wall Street Journal, Ron Suskind; The Family: The Real Story Of The Bush Dynasty by the queen of the unauthorized celebrity biography Kitty Kelley; Fortunate Son by paroled felon J.H. Hatfield (the book was eventually recalled by its first publisher and the author committed suicide); The Faith of George W. Bush by former Washington Post feature writer and biographer Stephen Mansfield; Oil, Power and Empire by the long-time correspondent for the Revolutionary Worker communist newspaper Larry Everest; First Son by Texas journalist and University Of Texas journalism professor Bill Minutaglio; A Charge to Keep written under George W. Bush's name by ghostwriter Michael Herskowitz; State of War by New York Times intelligence beat reporter James Risen; Hubris by liberal The Nation columnist David Corn and Newsweek correspondent Michael Isikoff; and The Greatest Story Ever Sold by New York Times liberal columnist Frank Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Without getting political, Angler, the Barton Gellmann book has some really interesting insight into Cheney's VP.

Tropic Thunder

Sorry... not my kind of humor. It felt like it didn't know whether to utilize a bunch of inside jokes or go more mainstream with the cliches and stereotypes. So it just kind of did a little of both.

I thought RDJr was good but the surrounding cast just kinda left him adrift. Jack Black.... blah. Not a Jack Black fan. I don't dislike him, I just don't find him particularly funny either. Ben Stiller... same deal.... not a big Ben Stiller fan. At least in movies. He seems more "TV" to me.

Cruise's role was interesting but didn't exactly save the movie for me.

I think I expected too much going in even though I knew part of the ensemble cast was going to disappoint me... or leave me flat is a better way to say it.

In the end it's another movie where I think a better movie was in there but it just didn't have enough talent on either side of the camera to pull it off.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

after reading your review i went back to remember what i had posted. looks like we came out of it on the same page.

we seem to agree overall that it wasn't a good film but our reasons seem to differ.

also, a defamation lawsuit would require cheney and rice to prove that A) they suffered hatred or financial loss as a direct result of this film and B) they'd have to prove the people involved with the film were reckless with the truth in their portrayal of public figures (like tabloids often get sued by celebs). both are laughable considering, as you say later, this movie doesn't cover any new ground.

ask and the google will provide... from Nikki Finke's Deadline Hollywood Daily
    Thank you - I appreciate it

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Caught "Gods and Generals on the Cinemax". Wow. Took a really good book and turned it into a terrible and terribly long movie. What a waste.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

RocknRolla - another good flick by Guy Ritchie - I hear this will become a trilogy...can't wait

Bolt - good fun..but did Disney steal those pigeons from Warner Bros. Animaniacs cartoon?

Madagascar 2 - meh...the characters just annoy me in that movie

Eagle Eye - enjoyable but forgettable

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Before Sunrise - 8/10

I'd seen Before Sunset (the sequel) like a year or so and heard good things about both. They are admittedly very, very low on the testosterone scale, but they are both very well-made, original productions that you have to appreciate for their craftsmanship, ambition and commitment to dialogue-based filmmaking even if they are indeed chick flicks by genre. And I actually found them both enjoyable regardless. Feel free to mock away.
    I liked both of those also. The dialogue actually seemed real - the way most people talk (perhaps a little more polished) but it wasn't movie speak and for that I really enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I've been meaning to catch Religulous. Is it available to rent yet?
    It is out this week. I saw it yesterday. Wasn't impressed. it takes the most absurd extremes and wackos and tries to make a point.

The Great Debaters

Hamlet 2 - it was odd, but relatively predictable. There was some funny stuff, and then just, you know, some stuff.

Mamma Mia!
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731