Page 194 of 347 FirstFirst ... 94144184190191192193194195196197198204244294 ... LastLast
Results 4,826 to 4,850 of 8659

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Marley and me

So bad
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

WALL-E
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

50 First Dates

It has its moments.

Click

I still enjoy this one. It has some humour but also is pretty sad. A few moments that tug at the old heart strings.

"Who Killed the Electric Car"

I found it interesting although I wonder how much manipulation was involved in its telling of 'facts'?

I did find it interesting the cars were destroyed rather than sold 'as-is' when they decided not to allow renewals of the leases.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

The Savages - 9/10

Spectacular.

I think Philip Seymour Hoffman ranks behind only behind Bogey, Paul Newman, Morgan Freeman, Vince Vaughn, Jack, Bobby De Niro, Paul Rudd, Ben Kingsley, Bruce Willis, Robert Redford, Sam Jack and Tim Robbins on my favorite actors list.

He's certainly borderline Top 10 depending on the day.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marley and me

So bad
    I heard about what happens at the end. Kind of surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Little Children - 8/10

This is a slow, dialogue-driven movie from In the Bedroom director Todd Field about the doldrums of passionless life in suburban America, focusing on the interacting lives of a stay-at-home mom, a stay-at-home dad, a careerless shamed police officer and a pedophile.

The whole thing follows a fairly predictable plot line (some of which is Crash-level cornball), but most of the sequential developments of the story aren't really the point. The story is more told through the reactionary shots, body language and awkward character interactions in response to the dialogue/events that occur throughout -- something that the director and the acting performances craft into a riveting and clever exposition on this topic.

One other interesting notes it the narration device that Field uses often throughout, something that is stand-out for the wry/ironic, half nature-documentary/half-NFL Films feel it adds to the film.

A lot of people won't like this movie at all, but I thought it was a very, very well made one.
    I LOVED that movie, Jay. Of course, the average viewer's thoughts will stick with Jackie Earle Haley's performance simply because it's so provocative, but it really was an outstanding, overlooked performance.

Along that same vein, I've been meaning to rewatch Happiness by Todd Solonz. Have you seen it? Another movie with a pretty well thought out look into the mind of a pedophile.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd
    I think Philip Seymour Hoffman ranks behind only behind Bogey, Paul Newman, Morgan Freeman, Vince Vaughn, Jack, Bobby De Niro, Paul Rudd, Ben Kingsley, Bruce Willis, Robert Redford, Sam Jack and Tim Robbins on my favorite actors list.
    Rudd? Really? Huh.

I worship Seymour Hoffman. I think he has more acting range than ANYONE in Hollywood right now. I've liked some Bruce Willis stuff, but I think he is so overrated, sometimes I have a problem watching him.

Vince Vaughn drives me insane. I want him to be in something really good again. I'd like to see him take a career path similar to what Bill Murray has done of late.
    Last edited by Skaut_Ech; 12-30-2008 at 04:16 PM.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Anchorman

Still very funny and great.

Talladega Nights

Another good Ferrell movie. Not in my list of favourite Ferrell movies but I enjoy it nonetheless.

sweabs

There Will Be Blood

I loved it. Great, great storytelling. Sad and ironic - enjoyed it thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    The Savages - 9/10

Spectacular.

He's certainly borderline Top 10 depending on the day.
    I just can not get past him as Dusty in the movie twister.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    Along that same vein, I've been meaning to rewatch Happiness by Todd Solonz. Have you seen it? Another movie with a pretty well thought out look into the mind of a pedophile.
    Nope.

Rudd? Really? Huh.
    More of an idol than a "favorite actor," but yeah.

I've liked some Bruce Willis stuff, but I think he is so overrated, sometimes I have a problem watching him.
    I certainly don't think he's a good actor, I just really like the way he plays Bruce Willis so well in every movie. Probably the coolest dude in America.

Vince Vaughn drives me insane. I want him to be in something really good again. I'd like to see him take a career path similar to what Bill Murray has done of late.
    My complete and unwavering love of Vince became undeniable at the point when his sheer comedic brilliance tricked me into watching -- and thoroughly enjoying -- The Breakup at least six times. Just saw Made for the first time in years last week, too, and, yeah, he's a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I just can not get past him as Dusty in the movie twister.

Your first problem was watching Twister.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 12-31-2008 at 02:39 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

sweabs

Away From Her

Depressing at times...but makes you smile at others.

Benjamin Button

Yeargh. Really bad.

Bolt in Disney Digital 3-D

It was a kid's flick, OK premise, you'll like it if you like dogs, but...

The 3-D effects were astounding.

Watched Hellboy 2 the other day - was better than I expected. A bit more plot and texture. Not bad.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Benjamin Button

Yeargh. Really bad.
    How so, I haven't seen it yet, but it looks interesting.

Well, a lot of people love it, so you'll probably disagree w/ me. But for me it suffered from really bad writing, structurally. A lot of things are just thrown in haphazardly in order to develop a theme that comes off hackneyed and trite. (They try to send this "live your life" message despite the fact that nothing in the movie [plot, character] was about that.) It's like the writer said to himself, "Okay, if we just spend 15 minutes on this thing, that'll totally set the theme/mood! We won't even have to make it relevant to the story!" Also, it suffered from the same problem as Marley and Me, in that the movie comes off as one extended highlight reel of one person's life with no extended scenes or fully-plumbed drama, but rather 10-minute scene after 10-minute scene that does nothing but show the next thing that happened in this person's life. (Where's the conflict, the point? Why does this just feel like a biography? Although BB didn't miss the mark here quite as much as MM.)

BTW, UB, I know what you mean. I really wanted to love this movie; it looked great. I had even hyped it up to all my friends/family. Yeargh.

Well, a lot of people love it, so you'll probably disagree w/ me. But for me it suffered from really bad writing, structurally. A lot of things are just thrown in haphazardly in order to develop a theme that comes off hackneyed and trite. (They try to send this "live your life" message despite the fact that nothing in the movie [plot, character] was about that.) It's like the writer said to himself, "Okay, if we just spend 15 minutes on this thing, that'll totally set the theme/mood! We won't even have to make it relevant to the story!" Also, it suffered from the same problem as Marley and Me, in that the movie comes off as one extended highlight reel of one person's life with no extended scenes or fully-plumbed drama, but rather 10-minute scene after 10-minute scene that does nothing but show the next thing that happened in this person's life. (Where's the conflict, the point? Why does this just feel like a biography? Although BB didn't miss the mark here quite as much as MM.)

BTW, UB, I know what you mean. I really wanted to love this movie; it looked great. I had even hyped it up to all my friends/family. Yeargh.
    Thanks - I might wait for the DVD

sweabs

Thank You, Mr. President

Interesting little flick on Helen Thomas.

Watched Open Window. For me this movies had "almost" written all over it. There was almost enough tension, it almost moved fast enough (it was never going to move fast, not that kind of story but it was downright somnolescent at times) and I liked using therapists to reveal what the couple couldn't tell each other. But it just missed for me for some reason - couldn't tell you why. I had empathy for the characters and everything. Maybe I was in the wrong mood for it or something. The cornball ending didn't help either.

Dunno why I didn't like it - script seemed solid, acting was good, can't point at anything in direction. Just wasn't quite compelling enough or something. It was almost good.
    Last edited by DisplacedKnick; 01-01-2009 at 10:09 PM.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

State of Grace - 8/10

I'd never even heard of this until it came on IFC today. It's about an Irish crime family in Hell's Kitchen, New York, and features some stellar performance from Sean Penn, Ed Harris and, particularly, Gary Oldman, whose character here might now be my favorite of his aside from Drexl Spivey in True Romance. It has a lot of the common gangster flick themes going on, but is really just a very solid film all-around. Maybe I'm out of the loop and just hadn't heard about it, but I'm surprised it doesn't get more play -- especially from the Boondock Saints and The Departed fans. Must have just fell through the cracks, I guess. Either way, just an all-star cast who are firing on all cylinders along with an intriguing story. Great ending, too. Meanwhile, I forgot how much of a fox Robin Wright Penn is. I'm thinking this film is where they met.

Bottle Rocket - 8/10

Still my favorite Wes Anderson joint.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    Thank You, Mr. President

Interesting little flick on Helen Thomas.
    I rather enjoyed that.

She's badass.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

sweabs

She's awesome. I also just finished watching A Bee Movie. I saw it in theatres to begin with but enjoyed it just as much the second time around.

Key Chain!