Page 342 of 346 FirstFirst ... 242292332338339340341342343344345346 LastLast
Results 8,526 to 8,550 of 8637

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

I watched some of The Patriot the other day. Had not seem in a while. It's visually entertaining with the battle scenes and aesthetics, but I think they really stretched the truth with some of the drama. I'm no Revolutionary War historian, but I doubt it's accurate that the British were brutal sadistic monsters while the Americans were brave, braver, and bravest. Did vicious British generals go around burning churches filled with innocents and shooting kids just for the hell of it? Meanwhile, Mel Gibson basically wins the entire war by himself. I doubt that he could have hid in the woods with his kids and slaughtered 15 British soldiers in real life.

Like I said, this was an entertaining movie, but portraying the British as monsters who would give Nazis a run for their money was a bit much.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched some of The Patriot the other day. Had not seem in a while. It's visually entertaining with the battle scenes and aesthetics, but I think they really stretched the truth with some of the drama. I'm no Revolutionary War historian, but I doubt it's accurate that the British were brutal sadistic monsters while the Americans were brave, braver, and bravest. Did vicious British generals go around burning churches filled with innocents and shooting kids just for the hell of it? Meanwhile, Mel Gibson basically wins the entire war by himself. I doubt that he could have hid in the woods with his kids and slaughtered 15 British soldiers in real life.

Like I said, this was an entertaining movie, but portraying the British as monsters who would give Nazis a run for their money was a bit much.
    You can't expect historical accuracy from a Mel Gibson produced movie. Braveheart is a travesty the way he slaughtered the actual story of William Wallace and his sniveling portrayal of Robert The Bruce.

Very very good with visually moving sequences and action scenes are always sharp though.
    Last edited by TinManJoshua; 05-08-2014 at 11:04 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    You can't expect historical accuracy from a Mel Gibson produced movie. Braveheart is a travesty the way he slaughtered the actual story of William Wallace and his sniveling portrayal of Robert The Bruce.

Very very good with visually moving sequences and action scenes are always sharp though.
    Yes. I have to watch those types of movies twice. The first time I grumble about how inaccurate it is and the second time I can watch it as a show. I just wish producers wouldn't work so hard to tell folks how accurate everything is. There's nothing wrong with adding things for dramatization, just be honest about it.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DisplacedKnick For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post

Accurate or not, Braveheart is in my top 10 of all time. I don't know how accurate a depiction of the Mayan civilization Apocalypto is either, but what a stunningly entertaining movie.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

My GF and I were watching TV the other night and an ad for the Rosemary's Baby mini-series was on. We realized neither of us have ever watched the movie. Took care of that tonight.

I now have a strong visual image which should come in handy if I ever think of moving into a nudist retirement home.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DisplacedKnick For This Useful Post:

Mr. 3000 - Good movie hard to believe Bernie Mac is gone though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Should check out Moon if you haven't already. Same director, his debut movie with Sam Rockwell. It's a cult hit -- I think maybe a tad overrated, honestly but really impressive performance by Rockwell and just a really palpable atmosphere with the film itself.
    I remember commenting about Moon many years ago. It was severely underrated when it first came out, in the sense that very few people saw it. I can see how some might think it's a bit slow-moving, but the pace worked for me and made the movie more haunting. How appropriate that David Bowie's kid directed this flick!

Amazing Spider Man: I'll give it a 6. It was pretty much what I expected. They can't all be The Dark Knight. I was disappointed with Electro though.

Margaret - Coming of age movie with Anna Paquin. Mixed feelings on this one. I've about decided they had the protagonist verbalize all the goofy things teenagers have going on in their heads, at least I hope this was intentional. Parts of it were pretty powerful. Considering I picked it up in the 2 DVD's for $3 bargain bin, it was OK.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I Frankenstein

My random thoughts written down during viewing the movie I, Frankenstein...

This is ultimately demons vs. gargoyles with Frankenstein's Monster in the middle.

Frankenstein's monster is a follower of Kali and a fan of rattan sticks.

I expected Frankenstein's Monster to be a little taller than 5ft11.

These demon vampire costumes/makeup/CGI look like something out of the 1990s Canadian children's tv series Goosebumps. And I would know Goosebumps. I've watched all 74 episodes of it.

Well, I made it through I, Frankenstein. Quite the accomplishment. 1 out of 5. Meh. I figured as much. Enjoyed the music though. Gargoyles looked cool.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just saw Godzilla. Tyler Hansbrough was great in it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    Just saw Godzilla. Tyler Hansbrough was great in it.
    Saw Godzilla as well. 3D not impressive. Special effects otherwise were, but not enough to make me recommend it over the black and white original from 1954. See the original with subtitles (without Raymond Burr) or even the Americanized version, if you want to see a great monster movie.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Saw Godzilla as well. 3D not impressive. Special effects otherwise were, but not enough to make me recommend it over the black and white original from 1954. See the original with subtitles (without Raymond Burr) or even the Americanized version, if you want to see a great monster movie.
    Yeah Gojira is amazing. Godzilla was ok other than I was actively cheering for Kickass to die. So I think the movie failed at making me like the main character. Probably because they waited till too late in the movie to pull the Save the Cat stunt. I would rewatch that final fight scene a few times. Whole movie not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Yeah Gojira is amazing. Godzilla was ok other than I was actively cheering for Kickass to die. So I think the movie failed at making me like the main character. Probably because they waited till too late in the movie to pull the Save the Cat stunt. I would rewatch that final fight scene a few times. Whole movie not so much.
    No, no, no. The main character in a Godzilla movie is always Godzilla.

That said, I'm with you: I was rooting for Kickass to die.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    No, no, no. The main character in a Godzilla movie is always Godzilla.

That said, I'm with you: I was rooting for Kickass to die.
    Well I would say one of the main problems with the movie then is that Godzilla was not the main character. Or else we actually would have gotten to see Godzillas fight in Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Well I would say one of the main problems with the movie then is that Godzilla was not the main character. Or else we actually would have gotten to see Godzillas fight in Hawaii.
    See I liked the slow build to see Godzilla and to watch him do battle with those...whatever the **** those things were. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    See I liked the slow build to see Godzilla and to watch him do battle with those...whatever the **** those things were. To each his own.
    I didn't hate the movie per se. But Kick *** better not be in the sequel. I gave it a 6 up till the final fight scene, then it got an 8 because that fight was so good I felt.

Really everything from when the guys jump I felt was great. That was a really well done scene. Although I would bet a large chunk of change that Military guys would be annoyed at the depiction of the HALO jump

Pumped to see XMen tomorrow.

anyone see it yet? I hear it is better than CA2, which was hella good.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Pumped to see XMen tomorrow.

anyone see it yet? I hear it is better than CA2, which was hella good.
    I will probably see it tonight. I actually liked Godzilla a lot more than I did CA2. The Marvel movies are just getting too cookie cutter for me.

Rented Captain Phillips last night. It was good though it won't make my list of Tom Hanks' best.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DisplacedKnick For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Rented Captain Phillips last night. It was good though it won't make my list of Tom Hanks' best.
    I thought it was okay but the Greengrass shaky cam made it hard to watch at times, like the Bourne Movies and United 93...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

XMen DoFP

Really liked it. Wasn't sure about the ending where Wolverine ended up and his memory. A bit weird.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Easily the best X-Men movie. Right on par with Cap 2.

X-Men: Days of Future Past

As others said this one was fantastic and easily is the best X-Men movie and right up there with other great super hero movies.

I loved seeing Magneto be a badass in the past.

X-Men: DoFP- agreed. Very entertaining movie that did it right. Right up there with Cap2
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    XMen DoFP

Really liked it. Wasn't sure about the ending where Wolverine ended up and his memory. A bit weird.
    Agreed and agreed. Hopefully everyone stayed for the scene after the credits. I was lost until my son pointed out the horsemen.