Page 16 of 346 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Weeping Jesus on the cross. You gave Unforgiven and The Graduate one star each? Wow.
    Ditto. Wow. Amazing.

The Hustler with Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason and George C. Scott. 1961. Absolutely fantastic and I can't believe I haven't seen it until now. Is there any actor that has had a better string of great roles than Paul Newman? The Hustler, Hud, Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting. And George C. Scott is simply a joy to watch on-screen. His mannerisms are amazing. Just watch this and Dr. Strangelove to see what I mean.
    How did you not see that until now? Wow. That's been one of my favorites for years. Ran out and got the dvd the day it was released......

All of those Paul Newman movies are among my all-time favorites. I don't know how Hud isn't in my dvd collection, now that I think about it. Have it on VHS and also have the novel Horseman, Pass By on which it is based....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Everyone I've talked to thinks I'm insane for disliking The Graduate and Unforgiven. And hey, that's fine. I simply could not connect with those movies in any way whatsoever, so that's a problem for me right there. Exascerbating the issue is the basic premises of the films, which I find to be very, very good, while finding the execution of the storylines to be poor. Nothing irritates me more as a viewer than to see a great idea not taken to what I perceive as its potential. I felt each film left something behind that I couldn't grasp. I don't even dislike The Graduate or Unforgiven in the strictest sense either; it's more of a frustration factor when comparing what I believe I needed to see fulfilled versus the actual product.

And no, I cannot in any way describe what I wish I'd seen. It's all about how a story works its way into an individual's emotional construct. In this case, these stories didn't touch me.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty
    Everyone I've talked to thinks I'm insane for disliking The Graduate and Unforgiven. And hey, that's fine. I simply could not connect with those movies in any way whatsoever, so that's a problem for me right there. Exascerbating the issue is the basic premises of the films, which I find to be very, very good, while finding the execution of the storylines to be poor. Nothing irritates me more as a viewer than to see a great idea not taken to what I perceive as its potential. I felt each film left something behind that I couldn't grasp. I don't even dislike The Graduate or Unforgiven in the strictest sense either; it's more of a frustration factor when comparing what I believe I needed to see fulfilled versus the actual product.

And no, I cannot in any way describe what I wish I'd seen. It's all about how a story works its way into an individual's emotional construct. In this case, these stories didn't touch me.
    I can understand your feelings a bit about the Graduate. I personally don't think the film ages well. It probably was a LOT more effective as a reflection of the times when it came out. If you can't relate to the midset of society at the time, that might hinder your appreciation more than a little bit.

For the record, I don't think it's that great of a movie, but definitely not a one star movie.

Unforgiven, on the other hand, is a perfect movie,....and I don't say that about many films. I don't see how you think it wasn't executed well. Part of what made it great, for me, is that you can take it on a lot of levels. You can take it as a sendup of old westerns (I'm okay...it's just a flesh wound, go on without me..). You can take it as a film of one man's redemption, attempt at it. You can take it as a morality tale. I think it deals with such core emotion, everyone can take something away from it that's relatable. I don't understand how you say the film didn't deliver on it's theme, yet you have no idea what you wanted to see.

To each his own, I know, but to make an analogy, one may not be into cars, but I'd think anyone can apprciate the beauty of a Lamborgini, or whatever. I'm shocked anyone could watch Unforgiven and not be duly impressed. To me, it truly is a perfect films: Clever, multi-layered screenplay, sharp acting, great casting and unpredicatable.

Harmonica

What's even more amazing is that Eastwood bought the rights to Unforgiven in the early 70s and waited over 20 years before he did it so he could play the role of an aging gunman. Talk about patience!

The writing is simply brilliant.

Bill Munny: Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
    The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess he had it comin'.
    Bill Munny: We all got it comin', kid.

---------

Little Bill Daggett: I don't deserve this... to die like this. I was building a house.
    Bill Munny: Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.

Honestly, it's mind-boggling to me how anyone could give this film a one-star rating. The writing alone is worth four.

You know, I think I'm going to start a DVD collection. Or at least try to watch a few more movies, I feel like I'm missing out.

I've watched Aviator recently, I didn't really like it. I've also watched the first season of Scrubs over the last few weeks. I love that show.

So, what horror movies does everyone reccomend? Those are my favorite, and I haven't seen many of them.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    So, what horror movies does everyone reccomend? Those are my favorite, and I haven't seen many of them.
    Horror is one of my least favorite genres, but this should help you out. It's the imdb's (internet movie database) list of top rated horror flicks.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/horror

Horror is one of my least favorite genres, but this should help you out. It's the imdb's (internet movie database) list of top rated horror flicks.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/horror
    Thanks. It's nice to see Silence of the Lambs up there, that's my favorite movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    You know, I think I'm going to start a DVD collection. Or at least try to watch a few more movies, I feel like I'm missing out.

I've watched Aviator recently, I didn't really like it. I've also watched the first season of Scrubs over the last few weeks. I love that show.

I'm just now trying to start up a DVD collection. Originally, about 10 years ago, one of the local video stores had a five movies for $10 promotion for the non-new release movies. It was great. I bought an old VCR, that gets past the process that stops you from recording videocassettes and went crazy.

I got around 90-100 videos. Now DVD is king and I've got to start from scratch. Grrr.

With my collection, I try and get stuff you don't/won't see on TV.

I do like horror, but I don't have many. What gets me is I think people confuse slasher films with horror. To me, having a guy running around killing people doesn't make for good horror. It's more like the mentality of watching a train wreck. You're just there to see how someone dies. Personally, I think the Friday the 13th, Jason movies are a huge waste of time. Why people go to see a movei where you know everyone is going to die is beyond me other than to se how many ways someone can get killed.

To me, a good horror movie creeps you out. I think recently the Sixth Sense was excellent. Unfortunately, you've probably already heard the shock ending. Still worth watching though.

Also, you may want ot check out Freaks. It's a REALLY old movie and I know a lot of people won't watch old stuff, but this one is worth a look. It deals with circus people. There's a good summary of it here.

I know it's become a bit of a cliche to mention it, but the Exorcist is some good, really creepy viewing.

Recently, Shaun of the Dead was a really good comedy/horror film. A nice sendup of zombie movies and like a good horror film, you don't know just who is going to get killed.

Along the same vein as Shaun of the Dead are Evil Dead one and two. Creepy and funny at the same time. Find some reviews of it. I've yet to meet a horror fan who didn't love these movies.

I think the Fly is a great creep-out movie. I'm talking about the remake with Goldblum.

Okay, I'm going to throw one in here that I haven't seen, but has been highly recommended to me. Near Dark. Read a review of it here.

Okay, I'm going to give you one that might challenge you a little. It's going to make you think "this isn't a horror movie". I've heard it called the Thinking Man's horror movie It's called Don't Look Now. The whole movie you get this sense of unease, making you wonder just what's going on. The ending though...phew!! I think it makes it worth it. The ending will leave you wigged out for days.

On a side note, I think Blair With Project gets a bad rap. It got so popular that there seemed to be a backlash against it. Yeah, the movie does get slow at a point, but the creepy factor with the odds noises in the woods, and the growing unease of the "victims' will get you ramped up. BY the time you get to the ending, you'll be creeped out by the final image. It still sticks in my mind clear as day.

Well, those are some horror films that I like. I know evereyone has different filters in what scares them. (To borrow a Stephen King analogy). What scares me might not scare you and vice-versa. It's whatever catches in your filter, but hopefully I gave you a decent start of some pretty mainstream movies you can find on video.

Harmonica

Freaks is a great film. "Gooble-gobble, gooble-gobble, one of us, one of us..." That scene made my jaw drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    I'm just now trying to start up a DVD collection. Originally, about 10 years ago, one of the local video stores had a five movies for $10 promotion for the non-new release movies. It was great. I bought an old VCR, that gets past the process that stops you from recording videocassettes and went crazy.

I got around 90-100 videos. Now DVD is king and I've got to start from scratch. Grrr.

With my collection, I try and get stuff you don't/won't see on TV.

I do like horror, but I don't have many. What gets me is I think people confuse slasher films with horror. To me, having a guy running around killing people doesn't make for good horror. It's more like the mentality of watching a train wreck. You're just there to see how someone dies. Personally, I think the Friday the 13th, Jason movies are a huge waste of time. Why people go to see a movei where you know everyone is going to die is beyond me other than to se how many ways someone can get killed.

To me, a good horror movie creeps you out. I think recently the Sixth Sense was excellent. Unfortunately, you've probably already heard the shock ending. Still worth watching though.

Also, you may want ot check out Freaks. It's a REALLY old movie and I know a lot of people won't watch old stuff, but this one is worth a look. It deals with circus people. There's a good summary of it here.

I know it's become a bit of a cliche to mention it, but the Exorcist is some good, really creepy viewing.

Recently, Shaun of the Dead was a really good comedy/horror film. A nice sendup of zombie movies and like a good horror film, you don't know just who is going to get killed.

Along the same vein as Shaun of the Dead are Evil Dead one and two. Creepy and funny at the same time. Find some reviews of it. I've yet to meet a horror fan who didn't love these movies.

I think the Fly is a great creep-out movie. I'm talking about the remake with Goldblum.

Okay, I'm going to throw one in here that I haven't seen, but has been highly recommended to me. Near Dark. Read a review of it here.

Okay, I'm going to give you one that might challenge you a little. It's going to make you think "this isn't a horror movie". I've heard it called the Thinking Man's horror movie It's called Don't Look Now. The whole movie you get this sense of unease, making you wonder just what's going on. The ending though...phew!! I think it makes it worth it. The ending will leave you wigged out for days.

On a side note, I think Blair With Project gets a bad rap. It got so popular that there seemed to be a backlash against it. Yeah, the movie does get slow at a point, but the creepy factor with the odds noises in the woods, and the growing unease of the "victims' will get you ramped up. BY the time you get to the ending, you'll be creeped out by the final image. It still sticks in my mind clear as day.

Well, those are some horror films that I like. I know evereyone has different filters in what scares them. (To borrow a Stephen King analogy). What scares me might not scare you and vice-versa. It's whatever catches in your filter, but hopefully I gave you a decent start of some pretty mainstream movies you can find on video.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I couldn't agree with you more regarding slasher flicks, BTW. That's why I said I like horror movies, but haven't seen many of them. Often times I go to the theatre and end up watching some stupid "Let's all hold hands and mindlessly kill each other" thing. I don't consider that true horror. Horror is more mental and emotional than it is visual, for me. Although a really gruesome death can add to the movie, if its done right.

Harmonica

You may want to hold off there. HD-DVD is on its way. I never got into vhs, but DVDs turned me into a junkie and I own around 400 now. I guess I'll be keeping my DVD player for a loooong time, because I'll be damned if I'm going to replace 400-500 discs when the new format comes out.

I own around 200+ DVDs. HD-DVD will break my heart.

Although truthfully, most old movies won't look much better than they already do. I'd probably be OK in most cases (except for the big-budget re-releases like Star Wars or something) just sticking with what I have, but buying all NEW movies I want in HD-DVD.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I own around 200+ DVDs. HD-DVD will break my heart.
    Actually, existing DVD media will be playable on HD-DVD drives with only a minor modification of the optical pickup.

Actually, existing DVD media will be playable on HD-DVD drives with only a minor modification of the optical pickup.
    Oh I know; it should be or if not immediately, quickly will be, backwards-compatible. I was just thinking of all the movies I would be tempted to buy yet again if I thought the picture quality was worth it.

When does this HD-DVD thing start?

Do I need an HD TV for it, or is this different?

You would want an HDTV to appreciate it.

Harmonica

Stalker by Andrei Tarchovsky. A little slow going, but mesmerizing and dream-like. The Monterey Pop Festival. A great snap shot of a moment in time. It feels like it was filmed yesterday instead of 38 years ago. It's amazing to see all these young musicians joyously celebrating life only to realize that so many of them are no longer with us—Janis Joplin, who gives a jaw-dropping performance, Otis Redding, Jimi Hendrix, John Phillips and Mama Cass from the Mamas and the Papas, Keith Moon from the Who, etc.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Empire Falls.

Its an HBO movie, taken off a best-selling novel.

Its a brilliant story of the downfall of a town in Maine. Tragic, funny, and clever. I'd reccomend it to anybody.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Saw The Aviator, thought it was all right. I dunno why everyone hates on Dicaprio, seems like a pretty good actor to me. Also just watched Word Wars, which was great.

IndyToad
    Squeeze on your skull

I tried to give it a chance. And I'm pretty open to seeing and evaluating anything. I was even in the theatre.

The problem was this: I was bored to tears. And the camera work gave me a headache.

But I do love anything that creeps me out. The Ring, mainstream as it was, creeped me out. Stir of Echoes was nice. And despite massive death by zombie, I thought 28 Days Later did some nice things (until the latter third of the film).

Saw Ray and Hotel Rwanda recently, too. Jamie Foxx deserved his award. Wow. After awhile, you don't differentiate between Foxx and Charles.

Rwanda has an agenda, but it's still and good story and it's still Don Cheadle. I've studied the genocide before, so it was a 'nice' reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft
    I tried to give it a chance. And I'm pretty open to seeing and evaluating anything. I was even in the theatre.

The problem was this: I was bored to tears. And the camera work gave me a headache.

But I do love anything that creeps me out. The Ring, mainstream as it was, creeped me out. Stir of Echoes was nice. And despite massive death by zombie, I thought 28 Days Later did some nice things (until the latter third of the film).
    To be honest, I saw BWP in a theatre and I was starting to think, "I may have to walk out of this movie", then something kinda caught and it held me until that creepy ending. And the Ring was scary, too.

I have a big gripe about American audiences. We won't watch something unless Tom Cruise or some mega-star is in something, while foreign audiences have no qualms about watching our films.

It's a shame because American cinema is raping Asian cinema and remaking stuff, since they can't just play the film here with subtitles. (Heaven forbid people actually have to read something!) Speaking of Cruise, he just bought the remake rights to The Eye, which is a pretty entertaining, if not overly stylish movie that is pretty scary. I hope he can fix the flaws and make a better movie out of it.

Oh yeah, just got done with Million Dollar Baby 15 minutes ago. OMG!! What a smart, excellently written movie. Man, I wonder how many subtle touches people missed. The way he said he'd leave her never, and you knew he was thinking about his daughter. The way thery didn't take the easy way out and make it a poorly matched, ridiculously unbelievable may/december romance like As Good as it Gets..... It's nice to see an understated movie get some recognition. For every piece of crap like the Longest Yard remake that people flock to see, I'm afraid stuff like Million Dollar Baby will be missed. I can't say enough good about it.

Man, I LOVE a movie that haunts you.

Harmonica

Oh yeah, just got done with Million Dollar Baby 15 minutes ago. OMG!! What a smart, excellently written movie. Man, I wonder how many subtle touches people missed. The way he said he'd leave her never, and you knew he was thinking about his daughter. The way thery didn't take the easy way out and make it a poorly matched, ridiculously unbelievable may/december romance like As Good as it Gets..... It's nice to see an understated movie get some recognition. For every piece of crap like the Longest Yard remake that people flock to see, I'm afraid stuff like Million Dollar Baby will be missed. I can't say enough good about it.

Man, I LOVE a movie that haunts you.
    Honestly, I just don't get it. Million Dollar Baby is nothing more than a string of clichés and predictable plot twists so nakedly obvious that one wonders how everyone involved kept a straight face. In fact, take away the big names and you'd have a straight-to-video non-entity that would never see the light of any self-respecting critic's top ten. But hey, that's just my opinion.