Page 337 of 349 FirstFirst ... 237287327333334335336337338339340341347 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,425 of 8714

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Something tells me Gravity is going to take this one.

Identity (2003)

Not a bad film, but I was a little underwhelmed due to the high rating. All star cast including John Cusak, Rebecca DeMornay, Ray Liotta, and Amanda Peet among others. Worth a watch.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    American Hustle is really really good. Amy Adams IMO is the best female performance I have seen in a movie all year.

All the acting was superb. Just an outstanding movie.
    Have you watched Short Term 12? Brie Larson is fantastic in it, and I think the movie as a whole is great too. (Shoutout to Maui!) Cate Blanchett is also really good in Blue Jasmine. I also think Sandy Bulls was way better in Gravity than in Blindside. I haven't seen the Judi Dench or Meryl movies, but damn, there were no good roles for actresses in 2013, huh?

The Oscar nominations continue to baffle/underwhelm. It makes the year in movies seem a bit crappy, when it was actually pretty good, considering some of the great stuff we got at the end. I'll just say that, despite how great Her, Gravity, Short Term 12 and The World's End are, The Act of Killing is still the best movie of last year.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Triangle (2009)

What an amazing movie. Second time I've seen it. A real head trip of a movie that really makes you think. It's the kind of movie that may have you still trying to decipher it days later. Starring Mellisa George, who is a seriously under-rated actress at this point. I've seen a lot of strong movies from her in the last few years. I would say this flick falls in the drama, thriller, and horror categories. Here's the premise:

When Jess sets sail on a yacht with a group of friends, she cannot shake the feeling that there is something wrong. Her suspicions are realized when the yacht hits a storm and the group is forced to board a passing ocean liner to get to safety, a ship Jess is convinced she's been on before. The ship appears deserted, the clock on board has stopped, but they are not alone... Someone is intent on hunting them down, one by one. And Jess unknowingly holds the key to end the terror.

Little trivia in case you missed it. Abduwali Abdukhadir Muse the lone surviving pirate (Captain Phillips) is serving his sentence in the Terre Haute Federal Pen
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lone Survivor

Highly recommend this movie. Fantastic. And if you do see it, stay through the end credits.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    I thought Lawrence was, at times, the highlight of the movie. Amy Adams' performance as a whole was better because she had a little more to work with, but I thought all of the performances were top-notch. My only gripe with it is that I feel like the ending was really rushed, but to me Hustle was the best movie of 2013. Nobody maximizes actors' ability to perform quite like David O. Russell.

If anyone cares, my top 10 movies of 2013:

1. American Hustle - One of the best movies I’ve ever seen, period.
    2. Prisoners - I liked it more than I expected. Thought it would be more of a paint-by-numbers revenge movie but it was just a great movie by any standards.
    3. The World’s End - Totally hilarious.
    4. The Wolverine - The best comic book movie of the year. Hugh Jackman is pitch-perfect. Embodies the character as well as anyone in a superhero movie.
    5. Anchorman 2 - Not quite as funny as the first one, but still very good. Big thumbs up for a movie that gets Liam Neeson to say the word “minotaur”.
    6. Out of the Furnace - Like Prisoners, it wasn’t as ordinary as the previews made it look… dragged a little at times but Christian Bale was fantastic in it.
    7. Man of Steel - Might not have made my list before the sequel announcement.
    8. Fast & Furious 6 - Needed more Rocky, but these movies never fail to entertain in the most ludicrous ways.
    9. The Wolf of Wall Street - I really liked the movie, but I don't think Leonardi Di Caprio is a very good actor. He's occasionally capable of good performances (such as in this movie, any time that he didn't have to deliver any expository dialogue or act like a normal adult) but in general I have trouble getting lost in his performances like I do with a lot of other actors. He just seems like a kid whose only acting style is "pretend I'm an adult." I thought Matthew McConaughey and Kyle Chandler both took him to school during their respective scenes with him, and Jonah Hill was more memorable as well. Though I will say that the scene where Leo is basically paralyzed and has to crawl to his car is one of the best movie scenes of this year.
    10. Olympus Has Fallen - The best Die Hard movie of 2013.

The only movie that came out this year that I really wanted to see, and missed, was Dallas Buyer's Club.
    Really?? He is by far my favorite. He and Tom Hanks would be my two favorite actors. Catch Me If You Can has to be one of the best acting jobs by Leo I have seen. Plus Amy Adams was amazing in that movie. I don't get why anyone would say he can't act he is very good IMO. It seems like all his movies turn out to be very good. Inception...Departed.....Blood Diamond (one of my favorites)....The Aviator(very good acting job.... The Beach.....Django I love almost every movie he has been in. I guess I don't get it. Why don't you think he is a good actor?

And yes the Wolf of Wall Street was great. I laughed so many times, and the story was very well done.

Mood

I would put Leo in my second tier of imaginary movie actor rankings; he's had a great career with many good movies but he isn't an all-time talent with numerous super-memorable performances. For me, it just seems like he tries so ****ing hard to win an acting award every time he chooses a movie. For a guy who's really rich and just bangs a bunch of supermodels, he isn't very chill on screen, and he can come off as a one-note (an albeit high quality note) performer. (Seems like he never fully recovered from choosing Titanic over Boogie Nights.) I like his choices in Django and WoWS as semi-comedies, but if Cruise can do something like Tropic Thunder (and he's ****ing insane), why can't Leo show some range? Also, he's just simply not at the talent level of an RDJ or a Denzel or a Streep.

Also, I saw the Jack Ryan movie that's out right now. It doesn't deserve a review. I don't think I would give Kenneth Branaugh a high five if I saw him walking down the street at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    I would put Leo in my second tier of imaginary movie actor rankings; he's had a great career with many good movies but he isn't an all-time talent with numerous super-memorable performances. For me, it just seems like he tries so ****ing hard to win an acting award every time he chooses a movie. For a guy who's really rich and just bangs a bunch of supermodels, he isn't very chill on screen, and he can come off as a one-note (an albeit high quality note) performer. (Seems like he never fully recovered from choosing Titanic over Boogie Nights.) I like his choices in Django and WoWS as semi-comedies, but if Cruise can do something like Tropic Thunder (and he's ****ing insane), why can't Leo show some range? Also, he's just simply not at the talent level of an RDJ or a Denzel or a Streep.

Also, I saw the Jack Ryan movie that's out right now. It doesn't deserve a review. I don't think I would give Kenneth Branaugh a high five if I saw him walking down the street at the moment.
    Tell us more of these imaginary rankings.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm only an hour or so into Wolf of Wall Street but I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish this. Not because it's long, it's just really shallow and masturbatory to this point.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'm only an hour or so into Wolf of Wall Street but I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish this. Not because it's long, it's just really shallow and masturbatory to this point.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought this.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Don't keep us in suspense. Did you finish it, or find something else to do?

Solomon Kane

Highly recommend.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Captain Phillips
    I thought Hanks' acting in that final scene was some of his best acting of the movie. I was just now reading about it and found out that wasn't the actual scripted ending at all but something that just happened to fall into place as they were getting some background on the incident from the real Navy personnel on the navy ship. After hearing about the real Capt Phillips state at that point they decided to craft and shoot that scene for the ending (instead of what was planned) right then and there.. And that included using real naval people and not actors. Wow...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

AMC had a giant Godfather marathon this weekend. Enjoyed that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Captain Philips

The Heat

White House Down

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Captain Phillips
    I thought Hanks' acting in that final scene was some of his best acting of the movie. I was just now reading about it and found out that wasn't the actual scripted ending at all but something that just happened to fall into place as they were getting some background on the incident from the real Navy personnel on the navy ship. After hearing about the real Capt Phillips state at that point they decided to craft and shoot that scene for the ending (instead of what was planned) right then and there.. And that included using real naval people and not actors. Wow...
    I agree. That was the best acting I saw all year and still the best movie I have seen all year.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Big Trouble Little China- typical cheesy 80s movie still liked it though

Criminal Law- good crime thriller and Kevin Bacon was soo creepy

Sports Logo

The Lego Movie's good but the schtick ran thin pretty quickly

Source Code

Really good film. I was pleasantly surprised.

Mood

The Lego Movie - Chris Miller and Phil Lord are stronger than all of Pixar at the moment. I have nothing but praise for what they were able to do with this; they had a lot of pop culture to work with, but I think they still could have successfully done The Dr. Pepper Movie or Battleship. Four hundred copywriters on Madison Ave just killed themselves. I don't think people quite understand that this is a 100-minute advertisement for Lego that is better than all of the recent super-expensive blockbusters, let alone anything shown during the Super Bowl. They took a creative brief from the 1960s and created a collection of stories and characters with all the clever winking and nudging of Clone High, Cloudy with, and 21 Jump Street. I haven't seen pop cultural-reference comedy done this well since Imaginationland. Plus, there's an filmmaking element introduced towards the end of the movie that seems INSANE, but they actually pull it off and bring everything together in an earned, emotional way. Maybe this will feel stale on a second watch, but for now, these two dudes are running amok. Recommended like The Incredibles.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Jaws (1975)

Still a classic to this day. I know Richard Dreyfuss was a big name back then, but why does he always seem so goofy in the majority of his roles?

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Jaws (1975)

Still a classic to this day. I know Richard Dreyfuss was a big name back then, but why does he always seem so goofy in the majority of his roles?
    Love Jaws, when they always ask the question what movie is a must if stuck on an island it's one of those top 10.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

32. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Yeah re: DiCaprio & WoWS discussion here, I actually thought WoWS was tremendously overhyped and felt like a really lazy effort from Scorcese, honestly, but I also thought DiCaprio was BRILLIANT in it. Only reason I kept watching. His best performance by a long shot, and he's had some dandies.

You'll never be able to convince me Jonah Hill is a good dramatic actor, though. No matter how many times you nominate him. He has zero range. He's Jonah Hill in everything.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

We watched Bad Grandpa a week ago. Yes it was our Valentine's date movie. It was Knoxville, so we knew what we were getting going in, but it actually had a thin story line. I thought it was funny, especially the kid beauty pageant bit.