Page 336 of 346 FirstFirst ... 236286326332333334335336337338339340 ... LastLast
Results 8,376 to 8,400 of 8640

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

  1. #8376
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,561

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    I thought Lawrence was, at times, the highlight of the movie. Amy Adams' performance as a whole was better because she had a little more to work with, but I thought all of the performances were top-notch. My only gripe with it is that I feel like the ending was really rushed, but to me Hustle was the best movie of 2013. Nobody maximizes actors' ability to perform quite like David O. Russell.

    If anyone cares, my top 10 movies of 2013:

    1. American Hustle - One of the best movies I’ve ever seen, period.
    2. Prisoners - I liked it more than I expected. Thought it would be more of a paint-by-numbers revenge movie but it was just a great movie by any standards.
    3. The World’s End - Totally hilarious.
    4. The Wolverine - The best comic book movie of the year. Hugh Jackman is pitch-perfect. Embodies the character as well as anyone in a superhero movie.
    5. Anchorman 2 - Not quite as funny as the first one, but still very good. Big thumbs up for a movie that gets Liam Neeson to say the word “minotaur”.
    6. Out of the Furnace - Like Prisoners, it wasn’t as ordinary as the previews made it look… dragged a little at times but Christian Bale was fantastic in it.
    7. Man of Steel - Might not have made my list before the sequel announcement.
    8. Fast & Furious 6 - Needed more Rocky, but these movies never fail to entertain in the most ludicrous ways.
    9. The Wolf of Wall Street - I really liked the movie, but I don't think Leonardi Di Caprio is a very good actor. He's occasionally capable of good performances (such as in this movie, any time that he didn't have to deliver any expository dialogue or act like a normal adult) but in general I have trouble getting lost in his performances like I do with a lot of other actors. He just seems like a kid whose only acting style is "pretend I'm an adult." I thought Matthew McConaughey and Kyle Chandler both took him to school during their respective scenes with him, and Jonah Hill was more memorable as well. Though I will say that the scene where Leo is basically paralyzed and has to crawl to his car is one of the best movie scenes of this year.
    10. Olympus Has Fallen - The best Die Hard movie of 2013.


    The only movie that came out this year that I really wanted to see, and missed, was Dallas Buyer's Club.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:


  3. #8377

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Yea, I'm admittedly a fan of Lawrence, but I was actually kind of bored when she wasn't on the screen, and I've personally seen a lot of improvement in her acting from even a year ago. The difference between her in Hunger Games versus Catching Fire is huge. The one complaint I had was she dropped her accent for a half a line.

    Her character though, was definitely more of a comic relief then of anything of importance. But I think of Lawrence as more of a Lucille Ball than a Meryl Streep anyway.

  4. #8378
    Member Downtown Bang!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St Paul MN
    Posts
    535

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    I liked American Hustle a lot (wife didn't get it at all) but not sure it rates as a classic. Biggest complaint is they actually did too much character examination and not nearly enough focus on the hustle.

    Having said that Amy Adams should get an Oscar.

  5. #8379
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,200

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    12 Years A Slave(2013)

    One of the best movies of the year. I will insert it right into my top 10 list. Wow...what a difficult movie to watch though.

  6. #8380
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    presto, I don't think we should co-host movie night. I really thought 12 Years A Slave was a bad movie. I mean, technically, it's a really pretty film about a guy getting tortured, but ultimately it's like a much more low-brow Passion of the Christ. There are maybe two or three moments that are actually interesting (like with the black slave owner/mistress), but they felt like book-based deviations from McQueen's quest for more sadism. It got boring pretty quickly watching Fassbender try to find new ways to be evil, and the semi-cameo towards the end is so dumb and insubstantial that I would have been more insulted if I wasn't so bored by this empty movie. Django was a romp if there ever was one, but it still had ten times more to say about slavery and its place in America than 12 Years. Only recommended if you're behind on your masochistic liberal guilt payments.

    Dallas Buyers Club - A pretty good companion piece to How to Survive a Plague from last year. This movie is really just the story of MM's character's journey. It's sort of the fantastical version of the struggle to cure the HIV/AIDS virus, while HtSaP was much more brutal and thorough (and really sad for the most part). I thought the international drug dealer part was really fun, though the movie's gayness felt pretty inauthentic. The Jared Leto character was a cardboard cutout, and there are surprisingly few gay characters represented in the movie. That said, McConaughey continues his streak of amazing movie film performances. His charm and depth really hold this movie up; not a lot of other actors could keep the momentum going in what is a pretty shaky overall movie. Pretty strongly recommended because alright, alright.

  7. #8381
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,200

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    That's why movies are subjective. I guess we'll agree to disagree on 12 Years A Slave. I know a lot of people agree with me as 12 Years is sitting at 8.6 on IMDB. Highest rating I've seen from this year's films.

  8. #8382
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,200

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    The Mist(2007)

    It's been awhile since I watched it so I re-watched it. Pretty entertaining horror/monster flick with one of the most WTF endings ever. Lots of actors from previous Stephen King movies in this one. Recommended.

  9. #8383
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,318
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    The Last Stand

    Better than what I expected, both cringe worthy and entertaining at times.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  10. #8384
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,316

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Mist(2007)

    It's been awhile since I watched it so I re-watched it. Pretty entertaining horror/monster flick with one of the most WTF endings ever. Lots of actors from previous Stephen King movies in this one. Recommended.
    That ending was crazy, but freaking awesome. Did not see that coming.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  12. #8385
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That ending was crazy, but freaking awesome. Did not see that coming.
    I thought in many ways it was one of the worst movies I had ever seen until the ending, and that was so awesome, it made the movie overall seem OK.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  14. #8386
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,200

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Captain Phillips(2013) Secret Life Of Walter Mitty(2013)


    I was a little disappointed by Captain Phillips. It's a good film, but I don't think it's a great film like it has been hyped up to be. I know it's based on a true story, but it almost feels like an American propaganda film to me. Considering the exciting storyline, I found the film to be slow and prodding at times. Don't get me wrong, I liked the film, but it is not up there among the best I've seen all year.


    The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty is in the same category for me. I thought I would like it a little better than I actually did. Considering all the places and things they could have done with this movie with Mitty's daydreaming, I found it a little slow and short of the mark. Like Captain Phillips, it's a movie I like but not love. I'll forgive Captain Phillips for it's shortcomings as it's based on a true story. Walter Mitty, not so much.

  15. #8387
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,561

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Going for the McConaughey double feature tonight: Mud, followed by Dallas Buyers Club.


  16. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:


  17. #8388
    Member Flibertygibits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    33
    Posts
    151
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Not sure if documentaries count, but I watched the 30 For 30 on Bo Jackson and that was beyond words amazing. I was a little kid when he was coming up and barely getting into baseball when he was in the majors. If they would have shown the Royals on TV when I was little he would have been the guy I would have modeled baseball after.

    On a different note, he was the living day Greek Mythology kind of person. He's the only person to play in a baseball All-Star game and to be voted into a Pro-Bowl. I just wish i could have appreciated him in his playing career...amazing athlete.

  18. #8389
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    This is my review of the movie "Her"




    When I decided to go see the movie "Her", I went based on one reason,
    and one reason alone: Joaquin Phoenix, my favorite actor, was in it. Because I have seen all of his movies, I needed to see this one. I never thought I would like it, in fact I assumed it would be one of my least favorite of his movies.

    I read the reviews online, and it was very highly rated among critics and online reviewers alike, so that made me slightly more optimistic for a promising picture.

    Here is some background into the movie before I start the review itself.

    The movie is set in Los Angeles in a semi-futuristic society. I would guess it to be about 2018 or 2020. It's in the future, but not that far into the future. Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix) is a writer for an online service where one can hire someone to write loving letters to their life partner. Anyway, he has a best friend named Amy (Amy Adams) and they seem to have been friends for a long time. She's married to this other guy, and Theodore is going through a divorce. He has trouble letting go. About this time, he gets this new operating system. Samantha the OS (Scarlett Johansson's voice) quickly becomes his friend and convinces him to let go, and he does. Meanwhile, Amy goes through a split of her own, and befriends the unnamed OS left by her husband when he moved out.

    Now, on to the review.

    The first thing that I feel I should mention is that not once did it lose my attention. What Spike Jonze did with this picture as the writer and director was he made the picture completely immersive. You become keenly aware of the world of Theodore Twombly. Every time he feels an emotion, you feel the same emotion for him. That is not only a testament to the production of the movie, but to Joaquin Phoenix as an actor. The characters are very genuine and the way they are developed is phenomenal. I'll touch more on this later.

    The plot of the movie is absolutely genius. This is because it is not the plot you would expect walking into the theater. I expected, just as everyone on social media, that it would be about this weirdo guy falling in love with a computer. However, it was much more than that. The relationship between Theodore and Samantha was a bit of a sci-fi twist in a movie that to my surprise, was not hardly at all sci-fi. Is it weird? Yes. Just a bit. But because the plot is much more developed than the theme of the movie suggests, it works very well. What I like most about the plot is that it is not about Theodore loving his computer/phone OS. In fact, that is used almost solely as a way to develop the friendship of Theodore and Amy.

    This I think was what I loved most about the movie. The plot of the movie was in direct relation to the development of the relationship between the characters Theodore and Amy. Nothing progressed to slowly and nothing felt rushed, either. Even though the OS's played a vital role in the movie, it was still based around Amy and Theodore.

    As far as the actors go, Joaquin Phoenix was brilliant. This was another stellar performance for him. Amy Adams and Scarlett Johansson were both great as well, but they did not blow me away.

    All in all, I was very pleased with the movie "Her". It was a touching insight into the human emotion, and it was done with a little bit of sci-fi, a little bit of romantic comedy, and a little bit of drama all rolled into one package. I give this movie a 9/10 and would highly recommend it to those mature enough to handle the many adult themes and scenes that are portrayed in the picture. They say don't judge a book by it's cover, and definitely don't be quick to write this movie off. It is a fantastic production and I would highly recommend it.



    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  20. #8390
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,857

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    American Hustle

    Fantastic movie. Really enjoyed it.

  21. #8391
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    American Hustle is really really good. Amy Adams IMO is the best female performance I have seen in a movie all year.

    All the acting was superb. Just an outstanding movie.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-13-2014 at 10:50 PM.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  23. #8392
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,316

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    American a Hustle is really really good. Amy Adams IMO us the best female performance I gave seen in a movie all year.

    All the the acting was superb. Just an outstanding movie
    This must be the generation of the female actresses. Just so many really really actresses like Amy Adams (holy crap, she's not as young as I thought), Jennifer Lawrence, & Chloë Grace Moretz, Kristen Wiig, Emilia Clarke, etc.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  24. #8393
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,200

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why movies are subjective. I guess we'll agree to disagree on 12 Years A Slave. I know a lot of people agree with me as 12 Years is sitting at 8.6 on IMDB. Highest rating I've seen from this year's films.
    12 Years A Slave wins Golden Globe for best picture.

  25. #8394
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,200

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Wolf Of Wall Street(2013)

    Very much over-rated IMO and not near the best films I've seen this year. It is a very stylistic film with a certain flow and good performances, but the story is lacking and everything is too over the top which makes for an "attention whore" of a movie.

    We get it. Hunger for big money can lead to bad morals and excess in everything. The characters are not likable and pretty pathetic actually. I think that Scorsese was going for that, but like the characters in his movie, the actual movie took everything too far as well as repeated the behaviors way too often to make up for lack of script. It has it's moments, but I was still a little let down.

  26. #8395
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,096

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    I saw Gravity and I liked it. I think the 'birth' and 'rebirth' metaphors were a little overdone, or not really necessary at all for that matter.... Or maybe didn't achieve what was intended because they never really worked things up beforehand to setup that type of depth of thought to begin with. But overall I found the movie entertaining. They didn't distract from the movie either even if they didn't really IMO give it more gravitas. Hmmm pardon that pun!!

    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  27. #8396
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,316

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw Gravity and I liked it. I think the 'birth' and 'rebirth' metaphors were a little overdone, or not really necessary at all for that matter.... Or maybe didn't achieve what was intended because they never really worked things up beforehand to setup that type of depth of thought to begin with. But overall I found the movie entertaining. They didn't distract from the movie either even if they didn't really IMO give it more gravitas. Hmmm pardon that pun!!

    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Wife loved the movie and I hated it. The birth and rebirth metaphore was just so *****ing dumb.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  29. #8397
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,200

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    O Brother, Where Art Thou(2000)

    Every time I watch this movie, I always forget just how good it is. I never thought George Clooney would work in a piece like this, but he is perfect. The storyline, the settings, the soundtrack, the subtle and many times not so subtle humor, just perfect. I cannot recommend this movie enough. It's a movie I can watch over and over and I can't say that about too many movies.

  30. #8398
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All in all, I was very pleased with the movie "Her". It was a touching insight into the human emotion, and it was done with a little bit of sci-fi, a little bit of romantic comedy, and a little bit of drama all rolled into one package. I give this movie a 9/10 and would highly recommend it to those mature enough to handle the many adult themes and scenes that are portrayed in the picture. They say don't judge a book by it's cover, and definitely don't be quick to write this movie off. It is a fantastic production and I would highly recommend it.
    Good review, Steagles. I agree with pretty much all of it, though I would say that this is by far and away Scar-Jo's best role and performance. So refreshing after Don Jon. You're right on Joaquin; dude was basically going from set to set talking to no one for most of the movie. You feel a rush of relief when he gets yelled at by Rooney Mara. The sci-fi in this movie is such an interesting contrast to the sci-fi in Gravity. Her is so cerebral while Gravity is so viceral. Gravity is almost impossible to misinterpret, while Her is one of the more misinterpretted movies in recent memory. (Anyone who thinks this movie has a full-on message is a little too uncomfortable with the idea of a nuanced world without big, all-encompassing statements.)

    The main thing that attracts me to a movie, book, album, etc is whether it seems like it's coming from a unique and interesting place. And you know that Jonze's mind is a unique place. He's done Jackass, a uniquely-envisoned children's story (WTWTA), and adapted two Charlie Kaufman scripts successfully (which IMO no one else has done for a whole movie). Like Steagles said, Her maintains elements of many different genres, but still feels like its own thing; the Alan Watts reference is so weird, but fits perfectly into this movie. With Her, Jonze joins Paul Thomas Anderson (and that's pretty much it) in the group of filmmakers who create movie universes that are timeless, genre-less, and ambiguously beautiful. Extremely highly recommended, although it may be inappropriate to show some parents because of the phone sex (meow).

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  32. #8399
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Oscar nominations. Looking at the list of best picture noms and the best director. I think it is between 12 years a Slave and American Hustle. Although would not be completely shocked if Gravity won.

    Surprised Tom Hanks was not nominated. Not because he is Tom Hanks, but because I thought he was fantastic in that movie and the scenes towards the very end was some of the best acting I have ever seen by him.


    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...unced/4476513/
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-16-2014 at 11:18 AM.

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  34. #8400

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Tom Hanks should have been nominated, though it's hard to not say the ones who did get nominated didn't deserve it. That said, I think Ejiofor or Leo are going to win anyway
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •