Page 331 of 344 FirstFirst ... 231281321327328329330331332333334335341 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,275 of 8586

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

I saw Gravity today in IMAX 3D and it was worth the $16 ticket price. At one point, you imagine that what you are seeing is really what it is like when you orbit the earth and face similar situations as the protagonists. Furthermore, the only moment where I had to suspend disbelief was when (and since it's not a major plot point, I'm just going to allude to it without a spoiler alert) the astronauts were gabbing/asking questions about their backgrounds, families, etc. However, as I explained to my wife, if this was the only time I had to suspend disbelief for a movie with this theme, then it was a pretty solid movie from the space and science side of things. Two thumbs way up!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Curse of Chucky

After going off the rails with Bride of Chucky and (especially) Seed of Chucky, the series is brought back to its roots with Curse. The tone of the movie was much darker than the previous two installments and had a couple of well-done kill scenes. It also worked a lot to shore up the series' continuity, probably in anticipation of the rumored 2014 reboot.

If you've seen any of the Child's Play movies, there isn't much new to see here, but it's definitely a step in the right direction after the embarrassing crapfest that was Seed.

Oh, and bonus points for
    Spoiler Spoiler:

B

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, I'll answer my own question. Crystal Lake Memories(2013) has already shipped to some customers and comes out to the public in October. 7 hours of material. Can't wait to see it although I do have the Friday 13th box set with a lot of interviews and commentary so I imagine a lot of that stuff will be re-hashed in this documentary. It will still be great to hear new interviews from a lot of the cast members.
    I got ahold of Crystal Lake Memories but am waiting until Halloween to watch it all. I skimmed through it a bit and it looks excellent, though.

I also got all the HD F13s. Some of the transfers are better than others, but they're all definitely upgrades over the DVDs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm really interested in the new bonus materials disc that comes with the new Dark Knight Trilogy set, but I'm just not going to spend $80-$100 for the exact same copies of the three movies that I already own.

With the only possible exception being the Thor sequel, the next post-summer movie I am looking forward to most is......Machete Kills. It looks like a fun flick.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Getting to see Sofia Vergara's massive.......um, talent on the big screen would be worth the price of admission right there.

Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Getting to see Sofia Vergara's massive.......um, talent on the big screen would be worth the price of admission right there.

I find her fakeness annoying. Can't stand her.

With that said, I want to see Machete Kills.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    With the only possible exception being the Thor sequel, the next post-summer movie I am looking forward to most is......Machete Kills. It looks like a fun flick.
    Critics sure didn't like it. It's thirty something percent on RT.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Yes! Can't go wrong with Charlie Sheen as the POTUS, lol.

Critics sure didn't like it. It's thirty something percent on RT.
    Critics rarely like flicks like that.

The first Machete was fun, so I'm sure this one will be, as well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks Gravity looks like complete crap?
    I thought it looked just Decent. But I went to see it over the weekend (Studio Movie Grill opening= basically free admission) and was Very impressed.

Finally saw The Way Way Back. Man, that was just a damn good film. I know it won't win any awards (though Sam Rockwell really deserves a nomination), but like Mud, it was just a well-acted, honest story I didn't want to end. There have been a lot of films that have really just hit me hard as genuine, well-told, well-shot and entertaining. Like, I've been invested in what happens, can relate to characters, don't find myself tempted to check my e-mail during the movie, etc.

2013 has been a great year for film so far. Can't wait to see Gravity.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

You got that right. Sofia is definitely getting a few things off her chest!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Finally saw The Way Way Back. Man, that was just a damn good film. I know it won't win any awards (though Sam Rockwell really deserves a nomination), but like Mud, it was just a well-acted, honest story I didn't want to end. There have been a lot of films that have really just hit me hard as genuine, well-told, well-shot and entertaining. Like, I've been invested in what happens, can relate to characters, don't find myself tempted to check my e-mail during the movie, etc.

still probably my favorite movie of the year

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Yes! Can't go wrong with Charlie Sheen as the POTUS, lol.
    Correction - it's Carlos Estevez.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post

It was good but I still like Mud better.

Moneyball​. Good movie, quite enjoyable
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Me too, just from a stick-with-you standpoint, but I wouldn't necessarily compare the two. Outside of having teenage protagonists, I don't think they were too similar.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm wondering why specifically you liked Mud better? I enjoyed both but thought TWWB was a little more heartfelt than Mud.

I never really felt connected to the "romance" aspect of Mud and found myself wondering after the movie was over why Mud got himself in all that trouble to begin with... She didn't seem to really care about him and he would do everything he did for her? Their chemistry just didn't seem as meaningful to me.

With TWWB I really felt the highs and lows of the main character throughout the story plus Sam Rockwell made the show by himself. Both good films but personally I give TWWB the nod.

Nothing more than I prefer dramas over dramadies. I liked the setting and acting just slightly better in Mud as well. Both are fabulous though.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Banned

"After earth", decent movie but I expected more from a Will Smith movie.

Quote Originally Posted by funnyguy1105 View Post
    I'm wondering why specifically you liked Mud better? I enjoyed both but thought TWWB was a little more heartfelt than Mud.

I never really felt connected to the "romance" aspect of Mud and found myself wondering after the movie was over why Mud got himself in all that trouble to begin with... She didn't seem to really care about him and he would do everything he did for her? Their chemistry just didn't seem as meaningful to me.

With TWWB I really felt the highs and lows of the main character throughout the story plus Sam Rockwell made the show by himself. Both good films but personally I give TWWB the nod.
    I feel like Mud purposely deconstructed the authenticity of "love" and "romance". We approach it, as an audience, in the same way Ellis does. You're supposed to love the woman you marry. You're supposed to make good on elaborate plans to be with your true love. You're supposed to win over the girl of your dreams by being her gallant white knight. But we see the truth about love through Ellis' eyes: relationships don't play out like they do in storybooks/movies. Marriages are stressed and undone by financial circumstances. Adventure and adrenaline rush wears off to reveal two people don't really have that much in common or hold the same values. Feelings from one side aren't always reciprocated by the other.

That's why I loved Mud. It was a perfect deconstruction of the popular conceptualization of romance. It's basically a movie about the hard truths we learn, and how we might accept them, told through the eyes of a naive teenage boy confronted with his first real adult decisions. In my view, it's brilliantly done.

TWWB, I think is a bit different. It's about a boy who just isn't really wanted, doesn't have much going on in his life, and has no self-confidence as a result. He exists through the safety net of following a pattern of what he thinks he's supposed to do, where he thinks he's supposed to go, while trying not to upset anyone or make himself heard (and also, through the fantasy of someone far away—his dad—waiting to confirm his self-worth when the time is right). TWWB is less about interrogating notions of romance as it is about learning to love and be yourself. It's beautiful in its own right, then. And quite opposite of Mud really: it's a tale of construction (of confidence, self-worth, etc.), not deconstruction.

Both films really grabbed me, personally, and had me attached to characters, had me going through the emotions and whatnot. I think both McConaughey (sp?) and Rockwell should be nominated, though it's likely either-or and McConaughey (sp again) will probably be competing for himself with Dallas Buyer's Club and Wolf of Wall Street as well...

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Just watched Captain Phillips (Pre-screening) very good. Would recommend for sure, after watching Gravity though!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:

Go. See. Gravity.

Yoiks!! There are going to be two types of people, those who watch this movie and only see essentially a thriller set in space and there are those who are going to see past that and see it has MANY more layers to it. Hard to talk about the movie without spoiling it, but it's also a movie about faith, humanity and religion. I thought it was a surprisingly powerful movie. I was discussing it with some friends and they missed some real in your face symbolism. I was afraid I was reading too much into things, until two more friends chimed in about seeing the same things I did. If you go see it, watch how many people leave the theater discussing the real messages in the movie and how many simpy discuss that it was a good three D movie. Go see it. Now.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:

Fantastic Four (1994)

This is an interesting movie mostly due to the legend that precedes it. Filmed in order to meet contractual obligations, the film had only a $2 million budget and was supposedly never seriously considered for release. The legend of its awfulness has surprisingly been somewhat debunked, or at least moderated, by critics and fans who says that it's "really not that bad." Some have even said that it's on par with the subsequent 2000's flicks.

They're wrong.

Even taking the budget into account, this mid-90s film looks like it was produced in the 70s or early 80s. The acting and dialogue is repetitive, cliche, over-the-top and cheesy at nearly Batman & Robin levels and the special effects, even for the time, are awful. At times I felt like I was watching the FF equivalent of the old Adam West Batman series.

The Jeweler, an original villain for the movie, was ridiculous and completely unnecessary. But if Roger Corman was insistent on including such a villain, why not the Mole Man, who would have not only served the story's purpose better, but been a recognizable nemesis for FF fans?

On the plus side, the origin was faithful to the comic from the 1960's, but unfortunately, that kind of dialogue and presentation doesn't fly three decades after the fact.

It's also interesting to note that a few aspects of the film were "borrowed" in the 2005 version, most notable The Thing's plight.

It was somewhat entertaining as a once-through, but other than that there is little redeeming value in this adaptation.

D