Page 310 of 347 FirstFirst ... 210260300306307308309310311312313314320 ... LastLast
Results 7,726 to 7,750 of 8662

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

  1. #7726
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,043

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a chance with DDL in Lincoln
    Yeah, the Best Actor award was decided the moment Daniel Day Lewis was cast to play Lincoln, i.e. how could Daniel Day Lewis playing Abraham Lincoln be anything but a spectacular life-changing experience? No other actor this year ever had a chance. I don't even think that Marlon Brando in The Godfather could win against the Lewis/Lincoln hype machine.

  2. #7727
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,843

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, the Best Actor award was decided the moment Daniel Day Lewis was cast to play Lincoln, i.e. how could Daniel Day Lewis playing Abraham Lincoln be anything but a spectacular life-changing experience? No other actor this year ever had a chance. I don't even think that Marlon Brando in The Godfather could win against the Lewis/Lincoln hype machine.

    Don't you think he was outstanding in that movie? I mean sure you could see it coming for a few years when it was made known he was going to be playing Lincoln, but I think by any objective measure he delivered.

    I thinki of the 5 actors nominated, DDL IMO is the clear winner. (although I have not seen Phoenix in the Master), but I've seen the other three and DDL to me should win.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-30-2013 at 08:39 AM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  4. #7728
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,043

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't you think he was outstanding in that movie? I mean sure you could see it coming for a few years when it was made known he was going to be playing Lincoln, but I think by any objective measure he delivered.

    I thinki of the 5 actors nominated, DDL IMO is the clear winner. (although I have not seen Phoenix in the Master), but I've seen the other three and DDL to me should win.
    He was, but I do think there's a lot of truth in saying that no other actor ever had a chance once it was announced that DDL was going to play Lincoln.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  6. #7729
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,265

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was, but I do think there's a lot of truth in saying that no other actor ever had a chance once it was announced that DDL was going to play Lincoln.
    I don't know... There's a reason everyone immediately thought Oscar when DDL was announced to play Lincoln and that is because they thought he'd be great in a meaningful role that would resonate with a wide audience. Therefore, the bar was set awfully high. He could've easily not met such lofty expectations if he hadn't knocked it out of the park. It's not easy to meet expectations when everyone is expecting an exceptional performance based on reputation before the movie is even shot ...and not just word of mouth of the actual performance.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  8. #7730
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,265

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    "Zero Dark Thirty"
    I thought Argo was really good but Zero Dark Thirty is a whole 'nother level of better IMHO.

    For one thing, Argo just couldn't resist taking some creative license to throw in some cliched scenes that you had to know were BS just seeing them. And with a little research you could confirm they were BS. Zero Dark Thirty probably took some creative license as well, but nothing was cliched. There was no "OK we need a car chase scene here" school of movie-making...

    Both were very good movies but if I had to vote for which was best Argo is a distant 2nd.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  9. #7731
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,580

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a chance with DDL in Lincoln
    Well duh. Bradley Cooper merely adopted the dark; Daniel Day-Lewis was born in it.

    But I really want Cooper to win.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:


  11. #7732
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,843

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    I just saw this list of the best Al Pacino movies. He was in some great ones. This is according to (RT) Rotten Tomatoes

    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/stan...s_best_movies/

    1. The Godfather -- 100%
    2. The Godfather, Part II -- 98%
    3. Scarface -- 89%
    4. Heat -- 90%
    5. Scent of a Woman -- 88%
    5. Dog Day Afternoon -- 97%
    7. Carlito's Way -- 88%
    8. The Insider -- 96%
    8. Glengarry Glen Ross --94%
    10. Donnie Brasco -- 87%
    10. Serpico -- 90%



  12. #7733

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    I'd quote a bunch of Pacino Scent Of A Woman lines but I'd get banned

  13. #7734
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,043

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just saw this list of the best Al Pacino movies. He was in some great ones. This is according to (RT) Rotten Tomatoes

    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/stan...s_best_movies/

    1. The Godfather -- 100%
    2. The Godfather, Part II -- 98%
    3. Scarface -- 89%
    4. Heat -- 90%
    5. Scent of a Woman -- 88%
    5. Dog Day Afternoon -- 97%
    7. Carlito's Way -- 88%
    8. The Insider -- 96%
    8. Glengarry Glen Ross --94%
    10. Donnie Brasco -- 87%
    10. Serpico -- 90%



    Pacino killing my username's namesake:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9cGYBqmUvU

  14. #7735
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,265

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Total Recall 2012

    I liked it better than I thought I would. It's a popcorn flick of course. Nothing groundbreaking about it. I'd seen the original so I was pretty sure this would seem stale no matter what but it was OK. My complaint is:
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  15. #7736
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,389

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Safety Not Guaranteed

    Not a comedy, but still enjoyable.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  16. #7737
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Zero Dark Thirty

    Exceptional. Only complaint I had was wishing I had a remote to go back and rewatch some stuff; there's no hand-holding where the narrative is concerned.

    Only other nominees I've seen are Lincoln and Django, and this blew them out of the water, IMHO.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  17. #7738
    Thanks Kesty! Pig Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Phoenix was AMAZING in The Master but the academy didn't really like that movie so he won't win.

  18. #7739
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,649

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Phoenix was AMAZING in The Master but the academy didn't really like that movie so he won't win.
    I agree. Phoenix was awesome in that movie but the movie was ****ing stupid.

  19. #7740
    Thanks Kesty! Pig Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    I fully disagree, greatly looking forward to my second viewing of the film when it comes out on bluray.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pig Nash For This Useful Post:


  21. #7741
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,315
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    I really liked Denzel in Flight.

    Just sayin'

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:


  23. #7742
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,389

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    The Words with Bradley Cooper and Dennis Quaid.

    This movie didn't have any twists or turns, or really any adversity of any kind, but it was so well written that I really enjoyed the movie.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  24. #7743
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,233

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Watched The Strangers with Liv Tyler again. Seems to be a love it or hate it type of movie. The main characters certainly make some bad decisions but you can't deny the creepiness and terror of this movie. Who's to say what kind of decisions you make when your life is in jeopardy? Still one of the better horror movies of the last decade IMO.

  25. #7744

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I fully disagree, greatly looking forward to my second viewing of the film when it comes out on bluray.
    That's where I'm at. I got a little too caught up in the geeky cinematography type stuff to really digest it on the first go round. But I'm glad the faux documentary thing didn't ruing Phoenix's career, that guy's going to be an all time great if he doesn't just up and quit.

  26. #7745
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,233

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Just got done watching Insidious again. Can you tell I like horror films? LOL Once again great movie one of the best horror films of the last decade.

  27. #7746
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,843

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Side Effects - it was OK. Mildly entertaining, but nothing more.

  28. #7747
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,649

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Debbie Does Dallas

    Really well filmed. Camera angles and lighting were good given the limited budget. Three stars.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  30. #7748
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,389

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Debbie Does Dallas

    Really well filmed. Camera angles and lighting were good given the limited budget. Three stars.
    LOL Well it's about damn time. :P
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  31. #7749
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,278
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    I watched a pair of movies recently. First let us begin with The Master.


    To preface, the only reason I watched this movie was because Joaquin Phoenix is my all-time favorite actor. I have watched everything he is in (yes, that includes I'm Still Here, which I thought was a brilliant movie by the way, stupid or not, only he could pull off the rapper hoax) so I gave this one a look. His acting was stellar, as usual. however, I feel dumber having seen the movie. What the **** was that? It started very well but the plot really never developed. What was the point? Freddy is a drunk in the beginning, and ends a drunk. I never thought another movie would have more random nudity than I'm Still Here, but I was wrong. All the movie turned out to be was a pointless following of a drunk war veteran who has anger management issues and loves to fornicate. Granted Joaquin Phoenix played him perfectly, it's a shame this movie wasn't better. The setup with the school girl could have (and SHOULD HAVE) been much better.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  32. #7750
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,278
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

    The other movie I watched was Flight.

    This movie was nothing like I had imagined when I saw the previews. However, it was phenomenal. Denzel Washington plays a great lead and the development of him and his relationship with the lady is very well done. I also really like how his family comes to love him by the end as well. With as much action and plot development this movie featured, it could have had much more- and that is awesome. However, I think the perfect balance was released already. I would not change a thing. In regards to the ending, I did not see it coming, but now in hindsight, if it didn't turn out that way, the entire movie would be a waste of time. Great movie, I would definitely recommend it.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •