Page 307 of 344 FirstFirst ... 207257297303304305306307308309310311317 ... LastLast
Results 7,651 to 7,675 of 8592

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Seeking a Friends for the End of the World
    The Campaign

Mood

Recently saw Django Unchained, This is 40, and saw the high frame rate & 3D version of the Hobbit.

Really liked Django, just casually liked TI40, still like the Hobbit and had very mixed feelings about the HFR and the 3D. In my opinion, the HFR was more bad/weird than good, though sometimes it worked well and looked really good. I don't know if the HFR plays into this or not, but it was probably as good looking as any 3D film I've seen, so that's a compliment, but personally I'm still not very bullish on 3D in general.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think 3D technology is a gimmick created to sell more tickets more than it is a legitimate artistic tool. I'll never see a movie in the format if I can avoid it. Doesn't enhance my experience.

Watched Fracture last night. Very good movie with clever twists and a good ending. Ryan Gosling has become one of my favorite actors over the past couple of years.

I'm not a fan of 3D either. (love IMAX though). Maybe 3D added something to Life of Pi. Other than that., I don't think it really adds to the viewing experience. None of my favorite movies this year did I see them in 3D.

A couple of weeks ago I watched United 93. Still love that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the goblins, Gollum, or both?
    The falling part. At some point someone should die IMO.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just started the third act of The Dark Knight Rises... it's getting slightly better with repeat viewings but it's clearly the weakest of the three movies in my opinion.

How To Train Your Dragon

This might go down as one of my favorites of all time. Went and bought the blu-ray. Just a fun movie to watch.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Just finished watching Donnie Brasco again, first time I've seen it in about 10 years or so. Film was decent, Depp does a really good job of acting (which is normal for him) but I've been recently been reading up on the Mob (see my post about Kennedy) and in reading about this story I came away a little dissapointed in how they did not actually keep up with how the situation occured. I understand it is Hollywood and they have to have drama and all to make the film more entertaining but it's still a little dissapointing.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    How To Train Your Dragon

This might go down as one of my favorites of all time. Went and bought the blu-ray. Just a fun movie to watch.
    And, on topic, one of the few 3D movies I thought was worth it.

Obviously, 3D is just a version of the movie (like a director's cut) that may or may not work better, usually the latter. Depends on the movie. Avatar on DVD is a mildly watchable cable movie; in IMAX 3D, it's one of the greatest movie experiences ever created.

Mood

How to Survive a Plague - It seems like so many of the top movies this year are still in theaters, but the great documentaries have mostly made it to Netflix. The archival footage in this movie is amazing, bringing you straight into the late 80s/early 90s setting. The film doesn't pull any punches either, objectively acknowledging the activists' miscalculations while touchingly chronicling their emotions and triumphs. Not quite fully emotionally cathartic; AIDS isn't polio or anything. But it still tells a great part of a story about one of the deadliest diseases and the small subculture that fought it. Pretty strongly recommended.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Searching for Sugar Man - Not sure I've seen a more recommendable movie this year. It doesn't delve deeply into a fascinating subculture or reveal amazing truths about humanity, but it's pretty much impossible to watch this movie and not walk away beaming and ecstatic about being alive. Just a wonderfully touching, life-affirming story that you would have to be really pissed off not to enjoy. Like watching the Elmo documentary but for a whole country. Recommended like a mother****er.
    Cannot agree more emphatically. The guy could move half way across the world and apparently live the life of a superstar but it just came too late, he's fine where he is. It's gorgeous.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Cannot agree more emphatically. The guy could move half way across the world and apparently live the life of a superstar but it just came too late, he's fine where he is. It's gorgeous.
    Not sure if you're a fan of hip hop, but I spent the longest time trying to figure out where I'd heard "Sugarman" before until I finally remember it being used for You're Da Man off Stillmatic. I get home and dig up the CD, check the liner notes, and find no mention of the Rodriguez sample. It was sad, yet completely appropriate.

Rock of Ages: I've seen both the broadway play & now the movie and both are entertaining for what they are, no lives are going to be changed and there will be no spiritual enlightenment from seeing this film. But for those of us who sadly lived in that time frame there is more truth to that show than many of us would care to admit. Ironically at the end of the movie when one of the characters yells "Rock n Roll will never die" I loughed out loud and went back and started reading the Nirvana thread because my contention on that thread was the polar opposite of this.

However what I am writing about here is to use this as a jumping off point to say that Tom Cruise is just amazing in this film and I once again wish to trumpet the cause that he is one of those actors that became so popular that it became popular to never give him his due as an actor.

Actually there are two actors in this film who deliver great roles but because of the nature of the film they will not get credit for it. But Alec Baldwin is superb in this film as well, not a character he has ever played before that I can remember & IMO he nails it.

Anyway it's worth watching if you have some time to spare if your old, I can't think that this film would be worth a crap to anyone under the age of 28 or so unless you just want to laugh at what some of the crap your parents were doing back in the day.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Life of Pi in 3D...again!

My wife's family is in from Venezuela visiting and have never seen a 3D movie. So we took them to that one.

It really is a beautiful movie.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

However what I am writing about here is to use this as a jumping off point to say that Tom Cruise is just amazing in this film and I once again wish to trumpet the cause that he is one of those actors that became so popular that it became popular to never give him his due as an actor.
    Thank you. That has been one of my pet peeves for years. People spend so much time putting him on the STAR pedestal, so many have overlooked, for years, what a phenomenal actor he is and how varied he's been in the roles he takes. I really started beating the drum following The Rain Man. Everyone keep raving about Hoffman, but to me, the strength of the film was Cruise. He was the one who had to bring a wealth of emotions and changing facets to what could have been a one note role. I want to get around to seeing Rock of Ages, just haven't had the time. If nothing else I've had an on-screen man-crush on Baldwin.....funny, entertaing actor

Oh, and just now saw Beast of the Southern Wild. When I saw it, i though it reminded me of a visual poem. Really loved it. (Speaking of which, that pretentious, self absorbed on-screen wanker Terrence Malick could take some notes on how it's done.)
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Totally agreed -- Tom Cruise had the best action movies of 2011 and 2012.
    Last edited by spreedom; 01-07-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Mood

I'll also chime in as a fan of Tom Cruise.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Totally agreed -- Tom Cruise had the best action movies of 2011 and 2012.
    I haven't seen Jack Reacher but really?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watched Zero Dark 30 last week. Really really good only gripe is a weak ending(but they really cant go into details and such). I was surprised on how it kept me on the edge of my seat knowing the outcome they do a really good job of telling the story. Highly recommend it in fact I watched it twice that is how much I liked it . Maya seems like one of the biggest blanks and Jessica Chastain does of good job of showing it.

also totally random about the movie. The CIA really recruits people out of HS? That just seems odd.

Also saw Lincoln and really liked it. I dont get why people say it was boring it was really engaging and really well done just done with dialogue Day-Lewis was really good but man was Tommy Lee Jones the star of the movie IMO. The scene when he takes the bill home after finally getting the bill past after 30 years of trying was great by far my favorite scene.

Agree on Tom Cruise being under appreciated as an actor.

As for Rock of Ages the movie... Some of the 'vibe' was there but cripes do I hate a musical. Maybe as live theater I could dig a musical but for a movie... somebody shoot me. I can believe an entire bus breaking into the Flintstones on Planes Trains and Automobiles but not Sister Christian... complete with accompaniment. Talk about just ripping away any notion that I'm actually seeing any kind of reality. Plus, it's not like a movie like this doesn't have plenty opportunity to work music into the film (see: Purple Rain)

Maybe one of these days I'll see a musical and finally 'get it' but until that day... Musicals "meh".

But Julienne Hough is hot... I never noticed whether she could act or not...
    Last edited by Bball; 01-09-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Tom Cruise was the only thing that made Jack Reacher somewhat watchable.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Think Indiana loves basketball? Track down "The Other Dream Team." It's hook is the Lithuanian "Grateful Dead" Olympic team. But it spends much, EXTREMELY worthwhile, time on how basketball came to be a past time.

A Lithuanian was sent to Siberia after the Soviet occupation. "In Siberia we were allowed to build a basketball court. Basketball allowed us to have dignity, to retain our sense of humanity. How did I survive? Basketball. It gave me a lot. They didn't bury me there."

The Oscar nominations are a bit strange in the best director category. As Ben Affleck for "Argo", Kathryn Bigelow for "Zero Dark Thirty" and Tom Hooper for "Les Miserables" were not nominated. And typically the best director's film wins best picture of the year. So that could mean Argo, Zero Dark Thirty and Les Mes won't win best picture. So that would mean that Lincoln is odds on favorite.

Of course best director doesn't always translate to best picture.

Life of PI did better than I expected with 11 nominations, second only to Lincoln.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The Oscar nominations are a bit strange in the best director category. As Ben Affleck for "Argo", Kathryn Bigelow for "Zero Dark Thirty" and Tom Hooper for "Les Miserables" were not nominated. And typically the best director's film wins best picture of the year. So that could mean Argo, Zero Dark Thirty and Les Mes won't win best picture. So that would mean that Lincoln is odds on favorite.

Of course best director doesn't always translate to best picture.

Life of PI did better than I expected with 11 nominations, second only to Lincoln.

As much as I want him to win Best Actor, Bradley Cooper merely adapted the dark. Daniel Day-Lewis was born in it.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anybody have Jaws on B-Ray?