Page 297 of 347 FirstFirst ... 197247287293294295296297298299300301307 ... LastLast
Results 7,401 to 7,425 of 8659

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

The Cabin in the Woods - Probably my favorite movie of the year. Such a brilliant disection of pop culture and society by Goddard/Whedon. You could see spin offs of this idea in every genre, sub-genre, and niche around the world. It's too bad that Whedon will be doing the next Avengers, since now he has "**** you" money to produce four or five more of these kinds of movies. In that vein, if this movie had $10-15 million more in budget for the effects, it would have felt a little better. Still a great use of budget though District 9 is still the high watermark for that. It's the kind of material that exponetially rewards revisiting and discussion. I have happily pre-ordered the **** out of it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Speaking of pre-ordering that movie (which I have)... why the **** is it so damned expensive relative to other blu-ray releases? When I last checked Amazon.com yesterday, it was still about $33 or $34. It started at something like $36 or $37.

Mood

No idea, though a lot of time, as the release date nears, Amazon (and others) will bring down the price to entice. I've also preordered the first season of Homeland for $35 and that retail listing is $70. I feel obligated to pay for it since I missed it in theaters and may or may not have watched it through less-than-honorable means. (Using B&N gift card money, so it doesn't hurt too bad.)

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Daredevil has gone back to Marvel now. So whatever they decide to do with it, I think it'll turn out ok.
    Apparently Joe Carnahan was set to make the new one but with Fox (right?) losing the rights who knows where that is. I'm not a comics fan at all so I don't know if it's an actual Daredevil storyline or whatever, but his version was going to take place in the 70s and be sort of, I don't know how to explain it, like gritty flamboyant. Think Warriors meets Dog Day Afternoon sorta. Who knows if it woulda worked, but the premise sounds great.

The Artist

What a fantastic movie. Reminded me a lot of Singing in the Rain, which is my fav musical, but without sound. Def recommend this for those that haven't seen it. The dog steals the show.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shoot Em Up and Crank High Voltage.

Enjoyed both just for the "fun" factor.

Mood

I am watching Taken right now.

Dark Shadows - Horrible...just as I thought.

21 Jump Street - Damn, what a hilarious movie. My wife and I were laughing about all the way through. Loved how they poked fun of hollywood for not coming up with anything original anymore, and the car chase scene where stuff didn't blow up was priceless.

Now really free Lance!

Premium Rush was really good. Pure entertainment, it doesn't stick with you, but it was still really good. Exciting from start to finish .

In tone and my surprise that I liked it so much I would compare it to films such as Speed, Phone Booth, and Cellular. (especially Cellular)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/premium_rush/
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 09-04-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Premium Rush was really good. Pure entertainment, it doesn't stick with you, but it was still really good. Exciting from start to finish .

In tone and my surprise that I liked it so much I would compare it to films such as Speed, Phone Booth, and Cellular. (especially Cellular)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/premium_rush/
    The lawsuit behind this movie is kind of messed up. Apparently, they optioned the movie, waited a while, changed the guy to a bicyclist, and just hid the production from the original author. Via Wiki:

In 2011, a lawsuit claiming copyright infringement was filed by author Joe Quirk, claiming Premium Rush was based on Quirk's screenplay from his 1998 novel The Ultimate Rush. The suit claimed many plot, character name, and scene similarities to Quirk's original screenplay.[13] In July 2012, federal judge Richard Seeborg declined to dismiss Quirk's claim that Sony Pictures, parent company of Columbia Pictures, had breached an implied contract. The production company Pariah, director David Koepp and co-screenwriter John Kamps are also named in the suit.[4]

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Die Hard
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Speaking of pre-ordering that movie (which I have)... why the **** is it so damned expensive relative to other blu-ray releases? When I last checked Amazon.com yesterday, it was still about $33 or $34. It started at something like $36 or $37.
    Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    No idea, though a lot of time, as the release date nears, Amazon (and others) will bring down the price to entice. I've also preordered the first season of Homeland for $35 and that retail listing is $70. I feel obligated to pay for it since I missed it in theaters and may or may not have watched it through less-than-honorable means. (Using B&N gift card money, so it doesn't hurt too bad.)
    It did finally drop to 19.99, by the way.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

IP Man & IP Man 2.

The first is absolutely wonderful - definitely worth a watch - the second one doesn't hold up as well as the first one, but if you really like the first one and would like to see more then its worth a check.

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    IP Man & IP Man 2.

The first is absolutely wonderful - definitely worth a watch - the second one doesn't hold up as well as the first one, but if you really like the first one and would like to see more then its worth a check.
    Watched the first and it was pretty awesome. Haven't gotten to the 2nd one yet though.

Now really free Lance!

The Lorax.

I never heard this story growing up, but I really liked the movie. Wife really liked it too.

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I watch SpiderMan last with my friends while celebrating one of friends birthday. We actually had a great time.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pulp Fiction
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

v/h/s

Eh. It has some neat ideas, good effects, but I think I'm just past the point of movies like this scaring me. I'm still prone to jump-scares but that's about it. I thought the writing was a little weak, as was the plot.

Worth a look if you're at all into this genre, but lower your expectations.

Ong-Bak - not enough fight scenes to warrant the justification of watching this movie...after watching IP Man - this felt like childs play...with annoying characters

Some Patton Oswalt standup.

That guy is one of my all time favorites.

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Currently watching National Lampoon's: Vacation
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Constellations For This Useful Post:

JCVD - Worth a watch if you were ever a fan of Van Damme - I really liked it

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    JCVD - Worth a watch if you were ever a fan of Van Damme - I really liked it
    Worth a watch period. It's about as autobiographical as you'll get for a character like him, and when you give it a bit of thought Van Damme's life isn't all that much different than an NBA player, a handful of them anyway. Grow up dedicating their life to a sport they love just because they enjoy it, then the time comes that they're so good at it that they can make a substantial living doing it but the business that comes with that makes them grow to loathe it.

This really is something that interests me a lot. The Adonis athlete that's had life handed to him but grows to resent it. It's not that they don't work their asses off, the vast majority clearly do, but when you reach your peak before you even hit 30, then what? I can sit on the couch and say yeah it'd be nice to have a zillion dollars before I even hit 40, but all the goals you've been working towards are over. And you've got plenty of time left to go.

Sure, a lot of guys would just spend their money on women and cars and whatever, but I don't know, the post-retirement life of a world class athlete has to feel so empty. That viewpoint's a major reason why The Wrestler was so great for me.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Worth a watch period. It's about as autobiographical as you'll get for a character like him, and when you give it a bit of thought Van Damme's life isn't all that much different than an NBA player, a handful of them anyway. Grow up dedicating their life to a sport they love just because they enjoy it, then the time comes that they're so good at it that they can make a substantial living doing it but the business that comes with that makes them grow to loathe it.

This really is something that interests me a lot. The Adonis athlete that's had life handed to him but grows to resent it. It's not that they don't work their asses off, the vast majority clearly do, but when you reach your peak before you even hit 30, then what? I can sit on the couch and say yeah it'd be nice to have a zillion dollars before I even hit 40, but all the goals you've been working towards are over. And you've got plenty of time left to go.

Sure, a lot of guys would just spend their money on women and cars and whatever, but I don't know, the post-retirement life of a world class athlete has to feel so empty. That viewpoint's a major reason why The Wrestler was so great for me.
    Very true. Really enjoyed the movie.

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ghost Rider 2

If I didn't know better, I'd swear this was directed by Uwe Boll. Nauseating camera sequences, rampant overacting, and lots of needless filler make this one of Marvel's worst films to date.

D