Page 291 of 340 FirstFirst ... 191241281287288289290291292293294295301 ... LastLast
Results 7,251 to 7,275 of 8494

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Mood

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

God, the more I watch that last clip the more I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man, I could go on and on about TDKR and the little things I liked about it. I thought it was a great movie and any quibbles I have are basically minor in the grand scheme of things. One thing that is cracking me up is how the fanboys are so upset about the movie. They didn't want Nolan to actually create something, they wanted him to slavishly reproduce what they had seen in the comics. Did they not learn from Watchmen. We all saw how that turned out. A couple of thoughts:

Spoiler Spoiler:

BTW, I saw the movie in the State museum, which from what I understand, is the only, TRUE IMAX theater in the state. If you can, see it there.

is that better or different from IMAX at Hamilton 17?

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I didn't set myself up to be disappointed, and I'm certainly not reveling in it. Of course I *wanted* the Joker in this movie, but only in a fantasy world where Heath Ledger didn't die kind of way. As I thought I had already explained in a previous post, I knew for a long time they weren't going to put the Joker in this movie, and more recently I knew they weren't even going to mention him, and I knew this was because of Nolan's emotions surrounding the loss of Heath Ledger. That's all fine and good. Sad for the narrative, but completely understandable.

But that's not a strike against the film in terms of why it disappointed me. I completely understand why it was the way that it was. That's okay.

In a more general, let's not focus on the Joker sense, this isn't really the movie I wanted it to be, but please don't tell me what to watch. That's kind of insulting.

And, again, it's not a criticism of the movie, it's just a frustration in general.
    Like it says pretty straightforwardly in my post, the sentiments are NOT directed are you specifically. I read your post and acknowledged that you made your frustrations clear. That paragraph you quoted ("again, not Hicks, the plural y'all of the Internet") was addressing some of the criticisms of the movie I've seen from critics and fans alike saying that the movie was lacking because "the Joker's presence was missing." Which is a very silly way to evaluate the movie. No need to be insulted as your nominal inclusion in the post was only to demonstrate that that paragraph about the Joker had nothing to do with your post.

Looking at the part you quoted, I think the first sentence could have been clearer, like "I'm not accusing you of this at all, but some fans" etc.
    Last edited by AesopRockOn; 07-23-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Dark Knight Rises. WOW. 10/10

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Insomnia? The same Insomnia with a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with 100% of Top Critics, and a 78 Metascore?
    My God, you're right! I had forgotten that RT scores determine everything. I'll immediately go and throw away my Godfather DVDs and buy a couple more copies of the first two Toy Stories.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    My God, you're right! I had forgotten that RT scores determine everything. I'll immediately go and throw away my Godfather DVDs and buy a couple more copies of the first two Toy Stories.
    Hey, just saying the movie was reviewed well by an overwhelming majority of critics, so using it against Nolan seems a bit odd, no?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    I saw TDKR last night at midnight, and again this morning, and I'm having a hard time talking myself into thinking that I liked it.
    I just wanna say, I saw it again on Saturday evening in an IMAX theater and really enjoyed it. It's a worthy finale for the trilogy, though I still wish they'd keep going. Bale is absolutely perfect as Batman.

Mood

Hey, just saying the movie was reviewed well by an overwhelming majority of critics, so using it against Nolan seems a bit odd, no?
    The fourth Indiana Jones has a 77% on RT. So the critic aggregates are not really something I consider too carefully, especially if I've seen the movies in question.

All said, Insomnia seems to be Nolan's weakest, Punch Drunk Love PTA's. (Though it depends if you include Hard Eight.) I think one director's catalogue is better than the other's, and his worst is better than the other's worst. Agree to disagree. FWIW, Nolan would be in my top 5 working guys right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    The fourth Indiana Jones has a 77% on RT. So the critic aggregates are not really something I consider too carefully, especially if I've seen the movies in question.

All said, Insomnia seems to be Nolan's weakest, Punch Drunk Love PTA's. (Though it depends if you include Hard Eight.) I think one director's catalogue is better than the other's, and his worst is better than the other's worst. Agree to disagree. FWIW, Nolan would be in my top 5 working guys right now.
    It's a tool. Not definitive, but useful. Usually if a movie is 90% or better, it was pretty decent. That said, it's my least favorite of Nolan's fare, so I personally have no issues using it against him. I prefer Nolan's fare, but have nothing against PTA. Like I said earlier, I love There Will Be Blood.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

It's a tool. Not definitive, but useful. Usually if a movie is 90% or better, it was pretty decent. That said, it's my least favorite of Nolan's fare, so I personally have no issues using it against him. I prefer Nolan's fare, but have nothing against PTA. Like I said earlier, I love There Will Be Blood.
    It's a really good tool that I think has become overused and partially corrupted. I mean, they shut down the TDKR comment section because users were sending reviewers death threats. It's gotten out of hand.

Not in relation to CN vs. PTA, but in general, I just try not to use it because of how so many people (Not saying you, cdash, though specifying that I'm not accusing a particular user of something hasn't gone too well for me lately.) act like it's the end-all, be-all of a movie's worth; it wasn't like that a couple of years ago.

I find it's much better personally to find two or three reviewers/critics that you respect, try to temper your expectations, and form your own opinion in a chilled out way. Of course, I know this is the serious business of the Internet and that's not how it works. /smallrantoff

The more time that I've had to think about it, the more I like TDKR, and agree that it was a worthy finale to the trilogy. It also made me want to go back and watch Batman Begins, so I did, and I found that I liked the movie much better having watched it with the different perspective of having seen where Nolan ended up going with the next two films.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Anyone catch the teaser for Man of Steel yet? There are two versions of it, one has Russell Crowe narrating and it is pretty epic. Nolan's name being attached even as a producer has me excited for this movie, and I have never given a **** about Superman.
    It looks surprisingly solid. Course, trailers are trailers. We've obviously had plenty of Superman origin stories, but never one where he's got to come to grips with what he is and wage how to use it. Maybe in Smallville I guess, but I never watched that show. It's going to be at least two movies I assume, and this is how you make it "fresh." I'm not the biggest fan of Nolan in the world but I do think he does as good a job as possible with grounding superhero myths in reality as much is reasonably possible. That's been by FAR my biggest complaint with comic book flicks, so many are just live action cartoons outside of Nolan's Batman trilogy, whatever you think of it. The Avengers is a fun movie and very enjoyable, but you just sit down and have some popcorn and that's that. Then there's Spiderman and X-Men in their make believe realities. That's fine and all, but it's a lot more enjoyable, for me at least, watching those movies when they hold on to some semblance of real life.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Spider-Man (2002)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Here's part of article on TRUE IMAX vs Digital IMAX. (The top of the article references part one of the article) More importantly, it gives a list of all of the theaters in the country with IMAX. When you go down the list, look for theaters that list IMAX 1570. That's what you want. I don't know where Hamilton and the other ones in town fall in size/ratio, but in screen size, etc, I could tell a difference in visual impact at the State Museum.

State Museum is the only one in the state with true IMAX, using the 6 stories high screen and proper width. Hamilton 17, from my understanding is a converted IMAX. I saw a film there and enjoyed it, but I enjoyed downtown Indy's more. I was actually going to drive up north till I happened to read this article literally minutes before going out the door.

Here's a little snippet from the article:

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-the...al-imax-liemax

Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post

State Museum is the only one in the state with true IMAX, using the 6 stories high screen and proper width. Hamilton 17, from my understanding is a converted IMAX. I saw a film there and enjoyed it, but I enjoyed downtown Indy's more. I was actually going to drive up north till I happened to read this article literally minutes before going out the door.

Here's a little snippet from the article:

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-the...al-imax-liemax

Thanks.

I don't think Hamilton 17 is a converted IMAX. At least not in the sense that they re-did a regular theater that was already built and retrofitted it to IMAX standards. The one at AMC Traders Point is converted IMAX - I remember sitting in that theaterwhen it was just a regulkar theater. All they did was increase the screen size and upgraded sound system.

But the Hamilton 17 IMAX was built to be IMAX. But certainly appears to be digital IMAX
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-24-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    I just wanna say, I saw it again on Saturday evening in an IMAX theater and really enjoyed it. It's a worthy finale for the trilogy, though I still wish they'd keep going. Bale is absolutely perfect as Batman.
    I've seen it twice in a normal theater, and I think next week I'm going to go see it in IMAX because of all that was shot that way. How much did the format add to the experience?

I only saw TDK in IMAX once, but it was at the State Musuem and I felt like the picture was dark. If I see TDKR in IMAX, it won't be "true IMAX" but it'll be like the IMAX you see over at Hamilton shopping center or whatever it's called over off of I-69. What kind was it when you saw it?

Mood

Thanks.

I don't think Hamilton 17 is a converted IMAX. At least not in the sense that they re-did a regular theater that was already built and retrofitted it to IMAX standards. The one at AMC Traders Point is converted IMAX - I remember sitting in that theaterwhen it was just a regulkar theater. All they did was increase the screen size and upgraded sound system.

But the Hamilton 17 IMAX was built to be IMAX. But certainly appears to be digital IMAX
    Yeah, from what I remember Hamilton's IMAX screen is the proper aspect ratio (or if not, damn close; much more box-shaped than widescreen), but I think the only thing you give up by going there is it's not as big of a box as the one at the State Musuem. I want to say it's roughly 1/2 or 2/3 the size of the 'true IMAX' size screen. Hopefully someone knows and can clear this up.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I don't think I need to put this spoilers, but just RE: The conversation The Joker being in this movie, would it have made it better?...could you guys imagine what that would mean to Batman? Having to do battle with this version of Bane AND this version of the Joker? Good Lord. I don't think Batman would have won.

Will do a full review in spoilers here in a second.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Ok so here are my thoughts briefly before I dive into spoilers. TDKR is just a totally different movie than TDK...duh, obviously, but just theme wise Nolan is taking it in a whole new direction. All three of the movies seem to deal with order in one way or another Begins is a lot about Bruce Wayne bringing order to his own life. TDK is a lot about the Joker bringing Chaos to order when a lot of ways, the Joker's chaos is so orderly, he is the biggest planner of all while criticizing everyone else for their plans, his order is chaos in a way. Here in TDKR, we have Bane dealing his own form of order by inducing chaos and calling it freedom, when really all he had created was a small militaristic state. If I to break down the films into one major, over simplified theme, it might be, What is order? What does order mean? Who is orderly and who is not? I feel like you could write a fairly interesting paper on the subject of order in the 3 movies on both a micro and macro scale, but maybe that would only interest me.

Anyway, I'd say the movie was good, not great, but a fitting epic end to the trilogy. Now let's look at some of my thoughts that deal with spoilers.

Spoiler Spoiler:

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Oh also, I was kind of digging the superman trailer although the crabbing thing felt kind of goofy, but then I saw him flying into space and I just chuckled. I don't know Superman is just always so silly to me.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

My guess is that there will be a difference. Those IMAX screens at the regular Movie Theaters isn't TRUE IMAX. It's somewhere inbetween the size of a regular movie screen and a true IMAX movie screen ( like the ones that you usually see at Museums ).
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-24-2012 at 04:20 PM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

^^^ I mean Skaut_Ech said and showed it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Oh also, I was kind of digging the superman trailer although the crabbing thing felt kind of goofy, but then I saw him flying into space and I just chuckled. I don't know Superman is just always so silly to me.
    Superman has always suffered from the fact that they have not been able to have a real super villain to face him. We are always stuck with Lex Luthor who just out thinks him who eventually always is defeated by his own hubris (much like Jim O'Brien was now that I think about it).

I'm hoping with the new CGI available to them they do something beyond some cheap gimmick of him lifting a building or something. They could do a really cool Solomon Grundy if they wanted to or Darkseid or some other super heavy weight to finally give him a villain worth fighting.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post: