Page 289 of 348 FirstFirst ... 189239279285286287288289290291292293299339 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,225 of 8696

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know that Nolan has a great flair for the dramatic and is big on pushing profound themes in his films but he fails to adequately address and explore them in a coherent, logical manner. Some superficially serious dialogue and moody music does not make a poignant and intelligent film.
    You are entitled to your opinion, but I violently disagree with your assessment of Christopher Nolan. For my money, he is the best director alive. Not just for his Batman films, but I am a huge fan of Inception and The Prestige as well. His films are beautifully shot, thought provoking, extremely clever, and open to interpretation. Honestly, as much as I love Batman, I am anxious to see where he goes next, besides his producing credit for the new Superman reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    They're making a new Godzilla. And it's supposed to be awesome, much, much more realistic.
    Recently watched the original version (in Japanese with English subtitles, not the version with added footage with Raymond Burr for American audiences) and it was a real treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    Just out of curiosity, I checked out some of remakes that are in the pipeline.

Creature from the Black Lagoon
    (Casue we haven't had a gazillion monster movies since the original was made.)
    As someone who appreciates the old horror/monster movies, I have rarely look forward or even go to remakes. The Fly (1986) was an exception, and I actually thought it was on par content wise with the original. Of course, the special effects were fantastic.

I would compare it to going from a regular HD picture to a Blu-Ray
    Huh?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Dark Knight Rises - Look ill be honest im not the biggest fan of it there where parts of the movie where it was incredibly boring and i just wanted to fall asleep, ending battle though is epic and abit of a mind blown kinda moment.
    Last edited by Hypnotiq; 07-20-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Flubber" starring Robin Williams. The only movie that comes even CLOSE to the amount of glory and prestige this film did was another of his classics "RV", co-starring JoJo
    "What you are witnessing right now is the old Danny Granger of old!!" - Chris Denari 01/01/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Huh?
    Its one louder, get on board.

Edit: Not trying to be a wise guy on ya UB. Rather I suspect Bball may have some questions about your comment because of 1080P vs 720p or it's the actually the same as 1080i, what size screen are you talking about, what's the viewing distance, in other words there is alot of confusion on what the eye can really pick up, etc. The friendly sales folks at Best Buy, Frys, and what use to be Circuit City really did a Sales job on people.
    Last edited by RWB; 07-20-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Little more splaining Lucy
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Banned

The Dark Night, great movie.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    You For my money, he is the best director alive.
    Paul Thomas Anderson drinks Nolan's milkshake.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Paul Thomas Anderson drinks Nolan's milkshake.
    Anyone with Punch Drunk Love on their resume isn't touching that milkshake. I do adore There Will Be Blood though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I saw TDKR last night at midnight, and again this morning, and I'm having a hard time talking myself into thinking that I liked it.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Anyone with Punch Drunk Love on their resume isn't touching that milkshake. I do adore There Will Be Blood though.
    I think he will be having that milkshake, if only just to cure his Insomnia.

Sports Logo

Yeah, I don't have any cute puns, but PT Anderson's The Master is going to sweep all the awards. I'd rather watch just the trailer than a lot of the recent movies.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah, I don't have any cute puns, but PT Anderson's The Master is going to sweep all the awards. I'd rather watch just the trailer than a lot of the recent movies.
    If all movies are judged by their trailers, what the hell happened to Terminator Salvation? That had just about the best action movie trailer ever and the movie was still a steaming turd.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    If all movies are judged by their trailers, what the hell happened to Terminator Salvation? That had just about the best action movie trailer ever and the movie was still a steaming turd.
    I don't remember the trailers for it, but I do know McG directed it. It was obvious from the jump it'd be awful.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I was surprisingly disappointed by TDKR. I couldn't BELIEVE how it was so less well put together than TDK. The pacing was just plain CLUNKY. A lot of beats just felt somewhat 'off' to me, and overall it just didn't work for me very well, and
    Spoiler Spoiler:

I know it sounds like I'm ripping this to shreds, but while there's plenty to complain about, there ARE numerous nice bits of good material here, it just did not click at all. TDK was like a near-perfect product in terms of all of the pieces coming together, but here the pieces just DON'T come together very well at all. I keep coming back to the word clunky. The story is clunky, the pace/editing is clunky, a lot of the scenes feel off somehow... it was just shocking how out of rhythm this movie feels compared to the first two.

Nothing has time to breathe or resonate, either. It's just like a kid telling a story, "And then THIS happens, and then THIS happens, and then THIS happens, and then THIS happens, etc." Amazing how a 2 hour, 45 minute movie can feel rushed and bloated at the same time. I keep coming back to the editing as the biggest complaint I have. Number two would have to be the story writing. Now I know why all of the trailers and TV spots tended to feel 'off' to me; it's because the entire movie is 'off' somehow. If I didn't know better, I would have thought a different director made this movie. It's the sloppiest, least-coherent Nolan movie I've seen to date. It's like, scene to scene, this movie needed more time to let things air out and breathe (sometimes BADLY), yet in the bigger narrative picture, this thing could have stood to be slimmed down. So, yeah, I point to editing here. But I'm not letting the writing off the hook, either.

I'm stunned by all of the issues with this film. I knew better than to expect another Dark Knight, but I did expect another Batman Begins, and I just didn't feel like that's what I got. This easily is the worst of the 3 to me. I'm officially giving up on anyone ever making three good movies in a superhero trilogy. After X-Men 3, Spider-Man 3, and now The Dark Knight Rises, I give up on that. If all of those couldn't do it, I'd be FLOORED if someone else pulls it off in the future. #3 just seems to always fall short for numerous reasons.

The funny part is, I'm already committed to a ticket to see it again tomorrow morning!

Which feels good and bad. Bad when I dwell on all of my issues, but good in that there's a lot to take in here, and I'm interested to see how I process things a second time around.

I'm just so dumbfounded to be in this frame of mind tonight; I was sincerely excited as I drove to the movie theater this morning (something I don't feel easily anymore), and again I was hoping for at least another Batman Begins (a movie I like more than many do, I think). I feel off balance right now.

Oh, and also:

Spoiler Spoiler:

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Huh?
    I was assuming he meant compressed broadcast (via cable or satellite or fiber) television HD versus a blu-ray disc's image quality.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I know it sounds like I'm ripping this to shreds, but while there's plenty to complain about, there ARE numerous nice bits of good material here, it just did not click at all. TDK was like a near-perfect product in terms of all of the pieces coming together, but here the pieces just DON'T come together very well at all. I keep coming back to the word clunky. The story is clunky, the pace/editing is clunky, a lot of the scenes feel off somehow... it was just shocking how out of rhythm this movie feels compared to the first two.
    Agreed, though:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Yeah, I updated my post to comment on that.

I completely disagree, I thought it was fun film. It would have been really difficult to beat TDK in terms of suspense and theatricality, but I thought it was still well done. I'm too lazy to post a rebuttal on most of that, but for me I just really enjoyed all of the characters. I do like TDK better, but in no way was this a bad film.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I have a side question for all Batman fans: What if Heath Ledger wouldn't have died? Would TDKR have been an entirely different movie? Would The Joker have been involved? Would they not have gone out of their way to avoid mentioning him? Would the battle that was "destined to last forever" have continued? Would the triology have benefitted with another Ledger/Joker film? Would Ledger's Joker lose some mystique from another film?

At least a cameo, I think.

I think the Joker would haven been mentioned and would definitely be in the movie. But that can't happen so there's no use worrying about it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/...t-rises-review

I think this sums up how I feel. I agree there are plot issues, but I think the tone of the movie was good. I personally enjoyed the increased light in this movie as it was a nice break from the darkness of the last movie. It didn't have me on the edger of my seat like the end of TDK, but that's ok. And I definitely feel this was more comic-booky, which I really enjoyed.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I completely disagree, I thought it was fun film. It would have been really difficult to beat TDK in terms of suspense and theatricality, but I thought it was still well done. I'm too lazy to post a rebuttal on most of that, but for me I just really enjoyed all of the characters. I do like TDK better, but in no way was this a bad film.
    I really liked TDKR. Comparing it to TDK is inevitable, but that was a damn near perfect film for it's genre. The Joker is Batman's chief villain and Ledger perfected that role. We had such high expectations for this film that anything shy of amazing would not have sufficed. It is still a great film and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The Dark Knight was better, but looking at the bigger picture, this triology will go down as one of the best in history. I was upset when TDKR ended mainly because I knew this was the last time we would see Nolan's Batman on screen. He changed the genre. Batman Begins is just another origin story if you watch it now. But back when it came out, it was a revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    At least a cameo, I think.
    Speaking of cameos...

Spoiler Spoiler:

30. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: