Page 281 of 346 FirstFirst ... 181231271277278279280281282283284285291331 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,025 of 8637

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Are you guys talking about the same Era that produced movies like The King's Speech or The Good Shepherd?

Entertainment for the most part has operated over a similar spectrum over much of humanity's existence, there has always been instant gratification type media and drawn out media. I just sort of resent, or dislike the opinion that is often the default that some people go to of "These dang kids!"

That reasoning has always been present in media and it's just not very solid reasoning to me.

Anyway, probably not the true thread for this discussion.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

No one said there's not still slow movies, dude.

I understand, I just think sometimes people discount stuff that is produced now as being all twitch, all flash, no substance. I'm not saying you were necessarily doing that, but it's an issue that bothers me enough that I always do feel the need to comment on it. This generation is not a whole lot different than any other generation. Time progresses, technology changes, kids adopt it, it's a story as old as time.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you guys talking about the same Era that produced movies like The King's Speech or The Good Shepherd?
    Geoff Pevere of the Toronto Star had one of my favorite and most accurate reviews of any movie I've encounted in his line about The Good Shepherd.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Pevere
    It's like watching a fish stare at you from inside the magnifying wall of an aquarium, and about as exciting.
    Although, if I'm being honest, the leopard shark at Kona Jack's gets my blood pumping more than this snoozefest did.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

I remember the month that the Good Shepherd was one of the movies being rotated on IU's dorm movie channel my freshman year. Much sleeping was done that month.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I understand, I just think sometimes people discount stuff that is produced now as being all twitch, all flash, no substance. I'm not saying you were necessarily doing that, but it's an issue that bothers me enough that I always do feel the need to comment on it. This generation is not a whole lot different than any other generation. Time progresses, technology changes, kids adopt it, it's a story as old as time.

My only point is, movies today in general (note: pointing out exceptions do not disprove the general trend) are much faster paced and a lot more wordy than they were 20 to 30 years ago. Movies that were thought to be action packed and fast paced movies in the early 90's if you watch them today they seem much slower. Example - the Fugitive with Harrison Ford from 1993 at the time seemed like a movie that never stopped was tense and fastpaced from start to finish, but watch it today and it seems like a slow movie for that genre.

Another good example is the movie Heat. That movie seems at the time fastpaced, not is seems rather slow.

Another trend is movies used to be less wordy. That is why I think the movie Drive seems very different in 2012, that same exact movie in 1989 would seem more normally paced.

TV has probably changed more than movies. Watch an action show from the 80's and compare to day and it is a huge difference. Even dramas and comedies are much faster. Scenes are so much shorter, they move from scene to scene much more rapidly.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-27-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    My only point is, movies today in general (note: pointing out exceptions do not disprove the general trend) are much faster paced and a lot more wordy than they were 20 to 30 years ago. Movies that were thought to be action packed and fast paced movies in the early 90's if you watch them today they seem much slower. Example - the Fugitive with Harrison Ford from 1993 at the time seemed like a movie that never stopped was tense and fastpaced from start to finish, but watch it today and it seems like a slow movie for that genre.

Another good example is the movie Heat. That movie seems at the time fastpaced, not is seems rather slow.

Another trend is movies used to be less wordy. That is why I think the movie Drive seems very different in 2012, that same exact movie in 1989 would seem more normally paced.

TV has probably changed more than movies. Watch an action show from the 80's and compare to day and it is a huge difference. Even dramas and comedies are much faster. Scenes are so much shorter, they move from scene to scene much more rapidly.
    I'll admit that my attention span is that of a gnat anymore. Probably cause I work at a computer all day.

However, the reason I didn't like Drive wasn't because it was slow paced (I don't mind that at all). The violence was very violent, and it just wasn't what I was expecting. I had hoped for some very cool car chases, but that wasn't the case.

My favorite movie of all time isn't very fast paced at all, Shawshank Redemption.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

The Interrupters - A ton of great content that highlights the struggles of inner city youth, the causes and symptoms of poverty, and just how ****ing stupid violence is and its paradoxically ingrained-in-us nature. Not much narrative to bring it all together though. It certainly held my interest and I felt terrible for those kids, but it was a message movie with no message, at least not a unified one. I almost felt like it became a competition in the viewer's mind to see which interrupter could help the most delinquents (Cobe won.). Waiting for Superman worked much better as a movie, though it may not have had some of the raw reality this had. Recommended.

Every Pixar movie other than the Cars ones is better than E.T.

If there is going to be a discussion of "then vs. now," you guys should bring up some examples. Though I haven't seen any of them, I don't get the sense that the Twilight movies are exactly fast-paced. Kids have sat through eight Harry Potter movies, the Transformers movies, Avatar, The Dark Knight are all really long movies. If you don't try to control for changes in film-making style, technology, and popularity/receipts, it seems to come down to cherry picking the movies you think explains your point.

The only difference in TV other than the fact that it's better in all ways, is that network stuff is way more watered down and politically correct (offensively inoffensive, I'd like to call it.) in contrast to cable and pay cable. The edginess that used to be on display in some shows like All in the Family or even The Twilight Zone (oh how teenaged girls have ****ed that word up!) is just on different networks now. The only degradation has taken place in non-fiction, in "news" especially. There's a much more fruitful venue for any ADD hypotheses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Good movie. Stupid humans.
    I enjoy the moment of the rise of the alps.
    Some strange feeling or conflicts of emotion and sanity involve.

It make me re-think my ideas on race and class conflicts.

I love this movie.

Act of Valor

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    I enjoy the moment of the rise of the alps.
    Some strange feeling or conflicts of emotion and sanity involve.

It make me re-think my ideas on race and class conflicts.

I love this movie.
    we really don't treat those mountains fairly

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    Act of Valor
    I cried at the end of that film...literally tears (granted I am biased dad was a SEAL) great film. Great. A guy in front of us stood up at the end when the names of dead SEALs were running and said "what a freaking waste of money and time." my father looked him in the eye and said, "Sit down now." he did was pretty hilarious.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    I cried at the end of that film...literally tears (granted I am biased dad was a SEAL) great film. Great. A guy in front of us stood up at the end when the names of dead SEALs were running and said "what a freaking waste of money and time." my father looked him in the eye and said, "Sit down now." he did was pretty hilarious.
    It was a great movie. I don't know how anyone could leave disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    It was a great movie. I don't know how anyone could leave disappointed.
    My 10 year old is into the military, especially WWII and has seen most war movies except Saving Private Ryan, whose opening sequence is really intense. Do you think it's appropriate for him? He can handle R movies, but I don't take him to any movies that I know contain sex and nudity.

Just saw acts of valor. Loved it.

Not great acting, but amazing action and a great storyline. I actually teared up a bit at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    My 10 year old is into the military, especially WWII and has seen most war movies except Saving Private Ryan, whose opening sequence is really intense. Do you think it's appropriate for him? He can handle R movies, but I don't take him to any movies that I know contain sex and nudity.
    I think it would be appropriate. He will really like it if he is into military movies.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

Mood

Being Elmo - Not a lot of things get to me emotionally, but anything having to do with making kids smile and laugh is pretty much a surefire way to turn me into a little pussy. The movie is only 76 minutes long but manages to squeeze in a lot of interesting details about puppetry, early kids television, and the story of Kevin Clash himself. Maybe the films nominated for Best Documentary were all super amazing, but it's hard to believe considering how wonderful and life-affirming this movie is. If you're even mildly interested in the Muppets, Sesame Street, or have kids, I can' t imagine not enjoying and appreciating this man's work. It just went on Watch Instantly.

Chronicle. Nice take on the superhero/superpowers story arc.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Chronicle. Nice take on the superhero/superpowers story arc.
    It was really good.

Now really free Lance!

Anyone see John Carter? I'm thinking about seeing it today, but not quite sure if I should.

Now really free Lance!

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Moneyball - watched it with 2 others who don't follow/care for baseball but still liked the movie a lot.

50/50

Really enjoyed this movie, but started off pretty slow.

Hugo

Very enjoyable movie.

Now really free Lance!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Mood

As painful as it was, it waqs The Smurfs with my little girls.

Mood

21 Jump Street - Thoroughly enjoyable and funny all the way through. One of the few recent action-comedies to do both the action and the comedy well. (I will say that, though there were several comedic beats to the actions sequences, I generally think trying to play action in these kinds of movies as cool or badass defeats the purpose of comedy, but whatever.) Everyone is strong especially Brie Larson and Dave Franco, who play a couple of the most convincing mature high-schoolers in recent film-going. The real standouts are directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) and screenwriter Michael Bacall (co-writer on Scott Pilgrim). Just perfectly paced, great comedic timing, and a really interesting take on current youth culture: a more liberal, non-jock, hipster-y way of seeing the world. Not perfect, but extremely satisfying. Highly recommended. 3 1/2 out of 4 C-Tates.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

The Artist
    wasn't really sure what to expect or how I would react to it when I went to it - I've had my doubts whether or not it would keep my attention till the end of the movie...my doubts were put to rest though - it was nice to take a break from all the noise pollution in the world even if for a few minutes and enjoy a bit of a time travel to the past.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post: