Page 259 of 346 FirstFirst ... 159209249255256257258259260261262263269309 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,475 of 8640

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Saw X-Men first class and I think I liked it more when I was watching it than I did a few hours later. In a way it was a lot like cotten candy to me. Pretty to look at, good tasting but at the end there was no real sustaining qualities.

First & formost how is it even possible for January Jones to make Emma Frost be unsexy? I don't know what it is about that woman but whenever she opens her mouth I want to fall asleep. No charisma at all. However I will admit she did have the body for the part, if not the totall overall look.

Did like seeing Jackman as Wolverine and sneaking Rebecca Romijn in was very well done & if you didn't know who she was you probably missed her scene altogether.

I liked the movie, but I think I want to make sure that this is where they end this particular series. No need for a sequal here.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Source Code - Solid. Just plain solid. Some great directorial touches from Jones, some awful touches from whomever the screenwriter was. Some potentially interesting stuff hinted at towards the end. Jake is great, Vera is okay, and Jeffrey is hilarious. The score was poop. You kind of wish it could have been more but I can't complain too much about solid entertainment.

King's Speech.

Really enjoyed the movie.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

The Tree of Life

Or: "Terrence Malick Tone Poem Montage: The Movie"

If you've ever seen The Thin Red Line or The New World and thought to yourself, "Man, those little tone poem montages that showed up every once in a while were great! I'd love to see 2 hours worth of that!" Then this is the movie for you. I am not exaggerating. The whole movie is like that.

So yeah, this movie isn't for everyone. I counted 7 people that walked out of the movie.

I don't know what to think of Terrence Malick. At times, I find his movies pretentious, masturbatory, artsy fartsy garbage. And yet, for some reason, I can be entranced and fascinated by them at the same time.

That said, I don't think I need to see this movie again.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Big Fish (for like the 10th time)

Excellent movie. Can't wait to see Green Lantern tomorrow...err, later today!

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I liked the movie, but I think I want to make sure that this is where they end this particular series. No need for a sequal here.
    $$$

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, it did have the smallest opening weekend of any of the xmen films I think. (or at least the last 3) so they might decide to go in a different direction.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cant wait for Sept 23rd i have been looking forward to this movie for awhile Billy Beane is a genius.(and hopefully the future GM of the Cubs)

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

"The Tourist" meh...
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Saw Super 8 last night.

It tries very hard to be a terrific, somehow-never-before-seen Spielberg film (the kind he might have made circa 1975-1983), and it does have some nice moments and a lot of ingredients that you'd think would maybe kind of sort of pull it off, but it just doesn't pull it off IMO.

I liked the movie, I guess (certainly didn't dislike it), but so many things about it had me so nitpicky over and over again during the movie it was ridiculous. Every few minutes something either rubbed me the wrong way or had me thinking "they did this wrong, they did that wrong".

And when I say "wrong" I just mean IMO because I felt like a lot of times if they'd just zigged instead of zagged with the pacing here, the lighting there, the editing here, the acting there, the dialog here, the writing there, it could have been so, so, so much better.

My favorite things:

Elle Fanning, Kyle Chandler, the last act (more or less) of the film.

I dunno. It's moments like these where I feel like there's a filmmaker in me wanting to get out, but for obvious reasons I doubt I'll ever pursue it. I'm actually tempted to buy this DVD just so I can make notes of all the things that were striking me as I watched it last night. Right now it's all more of a jumble.

[/unexpected pseudo-rant]

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I had a bad feeling when I realized all of the trailers left me thinking, "Why am I supposed to care about this?"
    And by the way, I'm getting similar vibes from Captain America. I'm hoping it'll not be as bad as Lantern allegedly is, but the costume doesn't work for me, and the trailers don't give me anything compelling with regards to the plot.

Shrimp gets pumped up with super-soldier serum (By Tony Stark's dad OMG?!!%?@%@%@52512351 [/] [/sowhat]) and goes to fight the Nazi's.

Okay, I guess. I dunno, maybe I've just not been exposed to the compelling stuff with this character in the comics, but even there it's always just "Super-respected leader of the Avengers, very strong and athletic, bad *** shield" and..... I just don't know what past that.

Green Lantern. Not as bad as I thought it would be, but not as good as I'd hoped it would be. Way too much unconvincing CGI, and too much of a predictable script even for a non-fanboy. Would give it a generous 2 out of 4 stars.

Note: Stay for mid-way through the credits for some insight into the sequel or possible Justice League plot. Nothing at the very end though.

Transformers, the first one. Say what you will about these movies, but you cannot deny that they are visually stunning, and thats not just because of Megan Fox.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

really looking forward to Transformers 3...been following up on all the TV spots/etc and its looking like its going to manage to salvage the franchise after a bad sequel.

If you are a fan of Michael Bay directed movies, and looking at how much money his movies have grossed, there are a lot of fans of his movies, that is fine but I cannot stand his movies and will never knowingly watch any of his movies again.

The movie of his that put me over-the-edge was Armageddon, I have never seen a worse movie (I'm talking about a big-budget high grossing movie) I felt stupid watching it, dulled all my senses, and it made me want to hate movies. After that I swore I would never watch one of his movies again.

But a few years back I started watching the first Transformers, not knowing Bay was the director, got about 30 minutes in and asked the person who was watching it with me if this was a Michael Bay movie, when the answer was yes, I said I cannot watch anymore and we turned it off.

Sure the writing is bad, but in action movies you learn to accept that, but his visual style (they thing he is known for, the thing tghat I suppose is what people like about his movies) , is exactly what I hate, it feels more like a music video, the camera never stops, it IMO is horrible.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-20-2011 at 03:50 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    The Tree of Life

Or: "Terrence Malick Tone Poem Montage: The Movie"

If you've ever seen The Thin Red Line or The New World and thought to yourself, "Man, those little tone poem montages that showed up every once in a while were great! I'd love to see 2 hours worth of that!" Then this is the movie for you. I am not exaggerating. The whole movie is like that.

So yeah, this movie isn't for everyone. I counted 7 people that walked out of the movie.

I don't know what to think of Terrence Malick. At times, I find his movies pretentious, masturbatory, artsy fartsy garbage. And yet, for some reason, I can be entranced and fascinated by them at the same time.

That said, I don't think I need to see this movie again.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebuck
    If you are a fan of Michael Bay directed movies, and looking at how much money his movies have grossed, there are a lot of fans of his movies, that is fine but I cannot stand his movies and will never knowingly watch any of his movies again.
    Oh, lord. Now you've done it. I can make a comparision between Michael Bay and Terrence Malick.

Malick: At times, I find his movies pretentious, masturbatory, artsy fartsy garbage.

Bay: At times, I find his movies pretentious, masturbatory, commercially pandering garbage.

Thin Red Line actually made me angry. I refused to walk out, but it was so self indulgently pretentious, I couldn't stand it. No way in hell do I see Tree of Life.

Bay's stuff is like a variant on Malick in that he goes WAY over the top to appeal to the dumbed down masses. And yeah, his jump cutting drives me nuts, too, UB. That being said, I can enjoy Bay cause I take them for what they're worth: The visual equivalent of eating a twinkie. Tasty and transitory, but ultimately, not very satisfying. (edit-I just went back and read some other posts and see that I kinda paraphrased Peck's comment about cotton candy. I just had a smiliar thought process as peck. *shiver* Now i feel kinda dirty inside.)

For someone to walk out of a Michael Bay movie saying it was one of the best movies they've ever seen, or it's a favorite movie, just makes me sad.
    Last edited by Skaut_Ech; 06-20-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:

Did see Green Lantern over the weekend. Wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen. it was just there, nothing memorable, in fact I remember very little about the movie. Felt sorry for Ryan Reynolds, I mean he tried, but that was an impossible role to play. He did a decent job not taking it all too seriously I suppose, but they gave him nothing to work with.

Green Hornet, Thor, X-Man were all much better.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-20-2011 at 03:51 PM.

When I go to see Transformers I just want to be entertained. I'm not really caring about the writing. I don't expect it to be a great film that Bay wins Oscars for. I just want to be entertained. And thats exactly what those movies do for me. Do I come out of the theater saying, wow, that movie was .... like I did with Inception or Social Network? Hell no. But I do say, that movie was ****ing sweet. And it usually has to do with the great CGI that is done, easily one of, if not the best CGI I've seen in a movie. They are just damn entertaining movies to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    When I go to see Transformers I just want to be entertained. I'm not really caring about the writing. I don't expect it to be a great film that Bay wins Oscars for. I just want to be entertained.
    I don't mean to pick on you, and more people agree with you than they do with me. But I wanted to discuss your phrase, "I just want to be entertained" So do I, everyone does, I guess I think great writing is entertaining, a good story is entertaining, good action is entertaining, good characters are entertaining. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man all IMO were very well done and were very entertaining.

I'm not suggesting every movie be like The Kings Speech, Social Network, or Slumdog Millionaire. I found those movies extremely entertaining. But I can understand enjoying a lighthearted movie as well, I like comedies, I enjoyed X-Man and Green Hornet to a certain degree.

Oh well, I feel we have discussed this before in this thread.

Actually I think this summer has seen some pretty good movies, Bridesmaids, Hangover 2, Thor, X-Man all have been worth my time and money

edit: If Micheal Bay promised to stop the jump-cutting, I might give him another try, maybe)
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-20-2011 at 04:01 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't mean to pick on you, and more people agree with you than they do with me. But I wanted to discuss your phrase, "I just want to be entertained" So do I, everyone does, I guess I think great writing is entertaining, a good story is entertaining, good action is entertaining, good characters are entertaining. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man all IMO were very well done and were very entertaining.

I'm not suggesting every movie be like The Kings Speech, Social Network, or Slumdog Millionaire. I found those movies extremely entertaining. But I can understand enjoying a lighthearted movie as well, I like comedies, I enjoyed X-Man and Green Hornet to a certain degree.

Oh well, I feel we have discussed this before in this thread.

Actually I think this summer has seen some pretty good movies, Bridesmaids, Hangover 2, Thor, X-Man all have been worth my time and money

edit: If Micheal Bay promised to stop the jump-cutting, I might give him another try, maybe)
    There is nothing wrong with not liking Transformers. I mean it all comes down to personal taste. The movies you have bolded are better than Transformers imo too. Although I haven't seen the Kings Speech.

And the entertained comment was just me saying I don't need a movie to be like The Dark Night or the Social Network to be entertained. If find those movies highly entertaining and better than Transformers. But I enjoy the mindless action Transformers features.

Hated both Transformer movies. Too bad too, cause I loved Transformers growing up.

Now really free Lance!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

UB - do you dislike every Michael Bay movie, including Bad Boys and The Rock?

I think he has good movies which he destroys with his style. I've liked the premise of most of his movies but hated how the action scenes have been recorded - the shaky camera is really irritating.

With regards to Transformers - the second one was a huge dump - so many plot holes and characters reappearing in 2 places at once that you really had to dumb down your brain in order to enjoy the movie.

As for the upcoming Transformers - having grown up watching Transformers i'll give the one a chance once again - talks are this is Bay's last Transformers movie...so I'd love to see someone else take over the handles of this franchise and see what can be done.

Mood

X Men: First Class: Holy ****, I love this movie. Almost too much, like I'm not going to be very objective about it. What Batman Begins did for Bruce Wayne, this movie did for two lead characters. The Dark Knight had an amazing villain; this movie had two. Ironman allowed our lovable main character to blow up **** in crazy ways; ditto. Watchmen took the epic scope of beloved source material and brought it to life on the big screen; ditto.

If this movie had been made by a legit studio and hadn't been forced to completion in less than a ****ing year, it would have been Star Wars. Pretty much all of the flaws in this movie are attributable to the rushed production: clunky dialogue, uneven comicbookiness, iffy CGI in parts, underdeveloped supporting characters, feet. Given another six months to rewrite and work out in post, I think Vaughn's movie would have been a bona fide classic. Fassbender immediately becomes my most looked forward to actor. Made Christoph Waltz look like a pussy.

Lastly, January Jones wasn't bad. She was just Betty. What did you expect?

Mood

Sucker Punch - It was a bad movie. I still love Snyder and wish him the best. Superman sounds like it should be okay with Nolan playing big brother. Abbie Cornish is fine.

Anyone see Adjustment Bureau? Thinking about renting it.