Page 254 of 346 FirstFirst ... 154204244250251252253254255256257258264304 ... LastLast
Results 6,326 to 6,350 of 8635

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Christmas Vacation

Classic lol.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Devil

Much better than I thought it would be. I would recommend it.

Fast Five

Not a fan of the series (only seen the first and fourth, and wasn't impressed with either.) But I listened to the reviews and went, and was glad I did. Yes, it's still utterly ridiculous, but this one was actually a lot of fun. From an action standpoint, it reminds me a lot of older Michael Bay films like The Rock or Bad Boys, before he went crazy with CGI. The vault chase is really tremendous stunt work, and it's no 2-minute scene either, more like 20.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Fighter

Good movie elevated to very good by 2 great performances from Leo and Bale. Interesting stuff on the bluray about the actual Micky and Dicky was fun to watch too.

When I first heard they were making a Thor movie I had very low expectations. I mean how do you make a Thor movie without it either be very cheesy ala the 70's Hulk TV show or without it being a complete & total CGI fest where it is basically an animated movie with just actors on a blue screen?

Then I saw a trailer for the movie & my expectations went from very low to being moderate.

Then I saw that J. Michael Strazenski was going to be one of the writers of the movie and my expectations went from moderate to hopeful.

I then went last night and saw the movie.

I'll say now that my expectations were waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to low.

I want to see it again before I go to overboard in praise. My first reaction upon leaving the theatre was to say that not only was this the best movie adaptation of a comic book hero of all time but it was one of my favorite films of all time.

I'm glad I waited before saying that because in all honesty while there were things that were done to perfection (the portrayal of Loki was so spot on that his performance actually overshadowed Thor's on many occasions) there might be a couple of things I want to think over before I declare Chris Hemsworth's version of Thor better than Toby Maguire’s Spider Man.

If you are a fan of the comic books of Thor at all then this movie is an absolute must. If you are an avengers fan but not a Thor fan this movie is still a must.

Also for those of us who are Avenger fans there were a couple of really fan boy geek out moments.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I won't give away anything to anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet, but I will give you the usual warning. As with all marvel movies you have to stay past the end credits as there is a very important scene for the future.

After a few day's I want to come back to this and see how I feel about the movie then. But right now I can't recommend it highly enough.

Caveat, obviously if you are a person who does not like the comic book genre of movie and prefer movies like snow falling on cedars then this movie may not be for you.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Hobo with a Shotgun - Accomplished everything that Robert Rodriguez tried to accomplish with Machete. More of a Troma movie than the Grindhouse stuff you've seen, especially with the insane gore, Robocop-like setting, and silly lines. One of the best post-exploitation movies yet punctuated by a terrific performance by Rutger Hauer. Not much else to say; if it sounds like your kind of movie, you'll probably really enjoy it. Can't give it a higher rating than Super, though.

I thought Thor was pretty good, but overall seemed very disjointed. The first 30 minutes bored me, then I really enjoyed the milddle third a lot, and then the last 30 minutes was just OK.

but then I'm a tough sell on these type of movies.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Fast Five
    it was like Ocean's 11 meets Fast and the Furious. I liked it - it was entertaining and a good way to kick off summer flicks

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Damn Peck, I want to see Thor so badly now. I already did, but reading that makes me want to go now.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Thor was pretty good, but overall seemed very disjointed. The first 30 minutes bored me, then I really enjoyed the milddle third a lot, and then the last 30 minutes was just OK.

but then I'm a tough sell on these type of movies.
    So basically you liked the scene's from Midgard (earth) but did not enjoy the scene's from Asgard.

I see where you would view it as disjointed however from a different point of view I think it was the perfect way to blend the mystical mythical version of Thor with the Earthly version without making it either corny or overly dramatic.

Obviously I enjoyed the entire Lord of the Rings feel to the mythical version.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I was the opposite. I really got into the Asgard stuff (which I didn't expect to), and thought the Midgard stuff was less interesting (though I still liked it). The way Loki was done made this a much, much better film than it would have been if they'd just made him another generic "Hey, I'm EVIL!!" bad guy. Good job by the writers and the actor for making him a much better character than he could have been.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I liked Thor, but cannot attest to whether it was a good adaptation of the comic, as I have long forgotten his "Tales to Astonish" origin story.

I guess the only thing I would like to know (without divulging anything to those who have not seen the movie), is this: Shouldn't Loki have been taller? Did I miss something?

Really looking forward to Captain America and the new X-men movie. When I'm 80 years old, I can still see myself going out to see these movies.

I have to say, after a LOT of skepticism when it was announced, I'm actually now a little excited to see the new X-Men film. I'd forgotten until recently that Bryan Singer is back to being involved, and from what clips and trailers and interviews I've come across, it shows. I adored X2, and I'm now looking forward to what looks to possibly be another very solid film.

Regarding the other two comic book movies coming along, I'll probably check out both Captain American and Green Lantern, though neither has me excited.

Of the two, I'm definitely more interested in Captain America. Despite all of its flash, Green Lantern looks very boring to me.

With Cap, I have no idea how good or bad it will be, but Marvel movies have mostly gotten it right lately, and after Thor very pleasantly surprising me, I'm more encouraged for Cap coming through as well, though I realize it's a different production.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I have to say, after a LOT of skepticism when it was announced, I'm actually now a little excited to see the new X-Men film. I'd forgotten until recently that Bryan Singer is back to being involved, and from what clips and trailers and interviews I've come across, it shows. I adored X2, and I'm not looking forward to what looks to possibly be another very solid film.

Regarding the other two comic book movies coming along, I'll probably check out both Captain American and Green Lantern, though neither has me excited.

Of the two, I'm definitely more interested in Captain America. Despite all of its flash, Green Lantern looks very boring to me.

With Cap, I have no idea how good or bad it will be, but Marvel movies have mostly gotten it right lately, and after Thor very pleasantly surprising me, I'm more encouraged for Cap coming through as well, though I realize it's a different production.
    I guess I was one of the few pumped for Thor the whole time, and I still need to see it. I'm really looking forward to Captain America. Green Lantern looks ok, idk though.

And the new X Men film gives me hope. X3 was so bad... The new one though, I really like the casting choices.

Is anyone else feeling we're over-saturated with 'comic book come to life' movies? True, a good movie is a good movie, but how about allowing the genre to breathe a little?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Is anyone else feeling we're over-saturated with 'comic book come to life' movies? True, a good movie is a good movie, but how about allowing the genre to breathe a little?
    Hollywood must suck it dry till this genre is as dead as Western movies.

I still can't believe that they're actually going to reboot Spider-Man this soon

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Actually they are kind of lumped together for some reason this year. Last year there were no major comic book movies that I remember at all.

In Marvel's defence there is a reason you are getting a grouping of movies all of a sudden.

Thor, Iron Man, Captain America are all building up to "The Avengers" movie that is coming.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Last year we saw "Kick-***" which IMO did allow the genre to grow and change a bit.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

And like Peck pointed out, they're building towards the Avengers movie, which will probably make or break how I view this era of superhero flicks.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I don't care how many there are as long as it least one of them is good.

This summer we got Thor, so if the others suck, I'm still satisfied. I'll be thrilled if at least one more is as good as Thor.

Next year should be nuts because I believe we have the Avengers AND The Dark Knight Rises AND the new Spider-Man and I believe even more that I'm forgetting. Could be nuts if they're all good.

Though with that said, my expectations for this Spider-Man reboot are incredibly low. I also think this is too soon and not really needed. I didn't like S-M 3 much, but it wasn't Batman & Robin bad. And even the gap between B&R and Batman Begins was still 8 years, I think.

Spider-Man 3 was in 2007. 5 years later a reboot?

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    Hollywood must suck it dry till this genre is as dead as Western movies.

I still can't believe that they're actually going to reboot Spider-Man this soon

Westerns were exactly the comparison I had in my head as well...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I had heard that we are seeing a lumping of the Marvel comic adaptations because the writer's strike a couple of years back really affected the production process.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Actually they are kind of lumped together for some reason this year. Last year there were no major comic book movies that I remember at all.
    wasn't Iron Man 2 out last year?

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    wasn't Iron Man 2 out last year?

yes it was

I really think the market has become way too saturated with superhero movies. They are entertaining, but I just can't muster up any excitement over any of these movies coming out.