Page 253 of 346 FirstFirst ... 153203243249250251252253254255256257263303 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,325 of 8637

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Well I actually watched the Wall Street sequel last night.

I was actually pleasantly suprised for about 80% of the movie. The ending was off because I don't think they knew what they really wanted to do there & I have a feeling this is one of those movies that they did a test audience and determined how to end it after that.

But overall it was nothing like I expected. In fact they really did themselves a disservice with the way they advertised the movie. I won't give away anything if you haven't seen it but Gordon Gecko is not acuratly portrayed in the commercials as to how he is used in the film which was a pleasant suprise.

Also my other biggest fear for the film, he had a Son not a Daughter in the first film, and this was very well explained.

In other words I thought Oliver Stone had lost his mind (what little he had) and forgot his first film. Not at all. In fact there are a lot of characters who re-appear in the film. The real estate agent that sold Bud Fox the condo is the real estate who is there for this one (My God that woman has to be 90).

Also they talk about Bud Fox early on in the show so I thought that was it. The lo & behold at a charity event there is Bud Fox. This scene is classic & explains how Bud didn't really learn any lessons from his time with Gordo.

Like I said they didn't end it the way I would have preferred but overall this movie was much MUCH MUCH better than I thought it would be.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

The Princess Bride.

Better than I thought it would be.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

The Other Guys. Must-see for Derek Jeter fans.

Pretty much stop watching movies during the playoffs

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Stone with De Niro and Norton...I kept on waiting for something to happen but nothing really did...can't say I quite understood what that movie was about...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

SCREAM4 pretty good movie not as good as scream 1 but still good.

sidney prescott is still as hot as she was 10 years. I liked that the writer and dewy the cop were still there with out the originals this movie would of sucked.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Cashback - It's a movie about an art school student who can (maybe) stop time with his mind and sexually molest women, I mean, paint them during the time. Despite two or three well done scenes and some very important female nudity, this just felt like another indie dramedy written by a guy who thinks he's twice as smart as he actually is. There were things to explore; the filmmaker just didn't follow through. Idiotic ending.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just finished watching The Fighter. It definitely wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

Fans will love it (on a personal level, favorite film of 2011 thus far) . My only complaint would be the fact that they didn't really explore his relationship with Letterman.

The early reviews for Thor are excellent

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

That's good news.

I finally watched The King's Speech. I enjoyed it quite a bit and there are a lot of good performances. But it's nowhere near as important a film as The Social Network and we'll look back and wonder why KS beat it.
    Last edited by Pig Nash; 04-29-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's good news.

I finally watched The King's Speech. I enjoyed it quite a bit and there are a lot of good performances. But it's nowhere near as important a film as The Social Network and this we'll look back and wonder why this beat it.

I'm not trying to be argumentative (I loved both films and would have been thrilled had either won), but you mention that KS is not nearly as important of a film as SN. OK, fair enough, won't argue with you there, but is that a criteria for best picture? I honestly don't know, but I figure it isn't. Should it be? If you were voting for best picture would you factor in what is a more important film, or simply base your decision on "best film"

What is important about Social Network? I liked it, I even bought the BD on a whim, but important?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    What is important about Social Network? I liked it, I even bought the BD on a whim, but important?
    Oh come now. Facebook is much more important than the start of WWII.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think PN is referring to the editing, story telling, score, etc. that is found in the Social Network.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Yeah, it did a great job at those things, but what makes the movie "important?"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A lot of the editing and scoring in that movie are considered very progressive, for example the crew scene in England during the race.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Oh come now. Facebook is much more important than the start of WWII.

You forgot to put that in green.

streets ahead

Lots of folks, including some who vote and some who are Pig Nash, feel the Best Picture Oscar should say something about the time/culture in which the award was given. Using that standard, obviously Social Network (which defines a generation) is more important than King's Speech (which is more about a man than WWII). I don't really buy into the belief that Best Picture must be a capsule of the time in which the film came out. I would, however, agree with Nash in saying that I would have given Best Picture to Social Network.

The performances by Firth, Rush and Carter were fantastic, especially considering how paint-by-numbers the rest of the film felt. Ultimately, though, we've seen this type of story (not this specific story) told before...which is fine. At it's core, The Social Network is a pretty basic courtroom drama and we've seen that type of film hundreds of times too. But I think Social Network bests King's Speech in terms of writing, cinematography, editing, scoring and (though the Academy disagreed with me) directing (though I loved Hooper's Damned United). So, for me, Social Network did more to elevate a genre than King's Speech.

Ultimately there were two things Social Network couldn't overcome. The first is a voting base that skews older that has a history of awarding more traditional films compared to something considered more unique (like comparing Trainspotting vs. Slumdog Millionaire). There are also certain themes that the Academy goes bonkers for: hope, history and love. King's Speech covers 75% of those three themes (it's not Titanic-esque epic love but profound friendship would fall under the love umbrella... coincidentally, Love Umbrella is the name of Pig Nash's next album).

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Mood

ATC just said that much better than I could hope to. And I liked The Damned United a lot too!

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Super - Actually went in a little skeptical since the superhero genre needs to end (i.e. it will last for another eight years and then there will be reboots of the ones that didn't make enough money, said the digression). For the most part it's super fresh. I really liked James Gunn's Slither, but it felt a little too content with itself, lacking bravery if you will. Seriously, will you? Super is a quirky indie dramedy on elephant steroids, taking so many opportunities to just **** with the audience, blowing the side of its head off every chance it gets. It's a very satisfying combination of Kick Ass and Special. The very end is kind of awful, oddly enough, too fantastical. Rainn Wilson, Ellen Page, Liv Tyler, Kevin Bacon, Nathan Fillion, great performances all around. Hopefully, Gunn gets the opportunity to something a little bigger with his next project; dude has a great eye for genre.
    Last edited by AesopRockOn; 04-30-2011 at 05:15 AM. Reason: seriously, i can't say pissed off.... what the *bzzz* *bzzz*

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Kill the Irishman
    didn't go in to it with a lot of expectations but came out more than satisfied (TWSS)
    nice movie based on a true story.

The Fighter

Good movie... not great. The pacing felt kind of odd
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Christian Bale again manages to put on another skin for a role. I still think Bale can have a tendency to overact or just go over the top at times but the physical effort he has to put into these roles surely shows a dedication to the craft.

Well worth a watch... and I'd think boxing fans would particularly enjoy the film.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Secretariat

I'm a sucker for these type of sporting movies so I pretty much knew I'd find this enjoyable.

I think this movie could've been done a little better. There was a lot of background but not really meaty background.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

So.... OK movie... Family friendly.... But doesn't rise to the level of Sea Biscuit.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Got drug to see Rio.

Exactly what you would expect it to be. If you have kids this is a decent movie for them, if your an adult meh...

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13