Page 249 of 346 FirstFirst ... 149199239245246247248249250251252253259299 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,225 of 8637

Thread: What movie did you last watch?

Default Re: What movie did you last watch?

Devil---I have long since given up hope that M. Night will ever duplicate his success with Sixth Sense, but I found this movie to be entertaining. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Devil---I have long since given up hope that M. Night will ever duplicate his success with Sixth Sense, but I found this movie to be entertaining. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
    It is worth noting that M. Night did not direct the move.

Saw The Company Men today. Just not that good. The idea was good, tyhe actors were good, but the writing was just weak and it just wasn't very well done

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    It is worth noting that M. Night did not direct the move.
    True, but he wrote and produced the movie, and probably still had his say on this one in terms of artistic license. I liked Devil about as much as I liked signs---enjoyable but not jaw-dropping in terms of a big reveal or Hitchcockian turn.

OK, drumroll please.......I just watched Hoosiers. First time I'd ever seen it, though of course I'd seen several clips on the jumbotron at the Pacers game. Don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said before, except that I agree that it does indeed belong in any conversation about the best sports movies ever.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Watched Ramona and Beezus - it was a good family movie - would recommend as an option for a family night.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    True, but he wrote and produced the movie, and probably still had his say on this one in terms of artistic license. I liked Devil about as much as I liked signs---enjoyable but not jaw-dropping in terms of a big reveal or Hitchcockian turn.
    I don't want to split hairs, but I've always wondered what the difference was.

According to this Brian Nelson wrote the screenplay and M. Night did the Story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1314655/
    Writers: Brian Nelson (screenplay), M. Night Shyamalan (story)

My guess is the screenplay is the actual words and lines........while the story is more about the overall plot structure. So am I wrong that M. Night likely set the story in motion while Brian nelson actually did the work of writing it

streets ahead

Exclamation Re: What movie did you last watch?

I don't want to split hairs, but I've always wondered what the difference was.
    (snip)
    My guess is the screenplay is the actual words and lines........while the story is more about the overall plot structure. So am I wrong that M. Night likely set the story in motion while Brian nelson actually did the work of writing it
    Likely, M. Night had the idea and either wrote a treatment for a film (essentially several pages of prose that would illustrate a potential film to a prospective screenwriters, studios or financial backers) or he went as far as to structure the story's beats (outlining the three acts, plot and crisis points, etc of the film) and then commissioned a writer to work from that detailed outline.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

The King's Speech.

When they showed Hitler yelling I looked at Kegboy and said, "Is he saying 'Fire O'Brien?'"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

I don't want to split hairs, but I've always wondered what the difference was.....
    No, no, not splitting hairs at all as you raise interesting points...I think the key is actually the producer credit. I've been involved with the production of a couple of locally produced independent movies. Not exactly my day job though, and I'm not suggesting that what I observed actually happens in Hollywood, but in both cases, the producer and director worked very closely with each other and assimilated their ideas nicely into the final product. Now, the title of executive producer(s) I'd be worried about...that title could have been awarded to someone that just contributed financially to the production without having any creative input at all.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

The Illusionist (L'Illusionniste) - A little French animated movie up for Best Animated Feature. Don't worry about subtitles; it's basically a silent film. Wow. Great execution, animation (save for some bad CG), sense of history, and ballsiness. This is neither Toy Story 3 nor How to Train Your Dragon, both in scope and in overall quality. However, if you enjoy traditional-style animation for an art house crowd, you'll love it. You won't be able to move as the end credits roll (much like Black Swan). By the same guy who did Triplets of Belleville.

Just watched Iron Man again for like the 11th time last night. That movie is just plain awesome. Didn't really care for the second as much, but it was still decent.

Probably going to see the King's Speech this weekend.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Pandorum. Sci-Fi fans might find it somewhat entertaining, but not a classic.

GET LOW, with Robert Duvall. might be a little slow for some, as it is a drama, but i loved it!! great story, and Duvall CAN ACT!!!

I am number 4.

ugh.......

This movie had every single cliche known to mankind. Honestly this would have been much better as a tv show on the cw than a movie.

This really is nothing more than Smallville & Roswell rolled into a very poor movie.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Mood

Night Catches Us - Cool debut movie about a Philadelphia neighborhood in 1976 after the Black Panthers had mostly dissolved. Strong lead performances by Anthony Mackie and Kerri Washington, and good supporting work by Jamie Hector and Wendell Pierce (Marlow and Bunk from The Wire, respectively), though the script could have been rewritten to give them more time. A nice dramatic, Afrocentric, period piece. Some very good contributions from The Roots for the soundtrack as well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Last night me and the wife watched 3 movies in a row.
    Starting with....

It's Kind of a Funny Story: I think Zach Galifinakias is a funny guy so we decided to give this movie a chance. A couple of scenes that made me chuckle but it left me feeling like I've seen this movie before.

Unstoppable: About as much action as you can imagine with 2 people stuck on a train. Denzel plays in a his usual role and Chris Pine didn't do too bad of a job. The side story of Pine's character and his wife and kid didn't really add much to the story for me.

My Soul to Take: This was one of the worst "scary" movies I've seen in a long time. I'm still not sure what happened, as the story seemed so rushed, and the plot twists left me yawning.

Last Friday we also went to see I Am Number Four in theater, and I 100% agree with Peck's take on this movie. I would have liked a little more of a backstory on where they came from. Timothy Olyphant is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors, and he does his role as best he can with a supporting cast of nobodies.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Batman Returns.

Hadn't watched that all the way through in a LONG time. I remember begging my mom to take me to see it in theaters, when I was just done with 2nd grade. She hated it, and she didn't like that I saw it either.

Looking back on it, I can't say I blame her. There's some dark/sick (though still tame in some ways by today's standards) stuff going on in that thing. Of course, 90% of that stuff didn't register when I was that young, so most of that didn't matter at the time.

Fascinating to watch it as my 27 (soon) year old self. One of my favorite things is how a movie or TV show you've seen before, maybe several times before, can seem so different when you reach a different age. I love that.

Anyway, some stupid things, some silly thing, some fantastic things (some of them serious, some of them funny), and every bit as surreal as I remember it being.

I'm a Nolan guy now, but there was a time when I swore by the Tim Burton movies. Then again, at the time my choices were Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher.....

Mood

Exclamation Re: What movie did you last watch?

So, these are about the current Oscar odds, via some gambling site:

Oscars Best Director

David Fincher (The Social Network)
    Tom Hooper (The Kings Speech)
    Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan)
    Ethan and Joel Coen (True Grit)
    David O. Russell (The Fighter)

Oscars Best Picture

The Social Network
    The King's Speech -700
    The Fighter +3000
    Toy Story 3 +10000
    Black Swan +2500
    Inception +4000
    127 Hours +10000
    True Grit +3000
    The Kids Are All Right +10000
    Winter's Bone +8000

I think I will turn to the dark side on The King's Speech if it wins. I enjoyed it, but it should not be remembered as the best movie of 2010. This feels like Shakespeare in Love all over again (even though I was only, like, 8 when that came out).
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    I think I will turn to the dark side on The King's Speech if it wins. I enjoyed it, but it should not be remembered as the best movie of 2010. This feels like Shakespeare in Love all over again (even though I was only, like, 8 when that came out).
    Even though I've only seen it and Inception, I tend to agree. It was a fine movie, but not exceptional by any means. I felt like I was watching a good Masterpiece Theatre, or more accurately, a play.

Speaking of Inception, I need to find the old thread and bump it with something I discovered last night.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I think the Social Network and The Kings Speech are by far the two best movies of the year and I'll be happy if either win. The Social Network may be a "better" movie, but I loved the Kings Speech more.

I would say both are near perfect movies - the execution of what they were trying to do is perfect.

I will say the Kings Speech is one of those movies that you feel and if the story didn't touch your heart, then yeah I could see where you might not love it (appreciate it yes, but not love it). For example Fields of Dreams did nothing for me at all, I didn't like that movie, but I know others who loved it
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-27-2011 at 11:17 AM.

I Am Number Four was created in a sort of script-factory where James Frey (oprah book liar guy) signs aspiring novelists to sell-your-soul-to-the-devil-type contracts, has them rush out loads of work in ridiculously short amounts of time, and basically takes all the profit and credit for the thing. Number Four is their only success so far, and the author was barred from ever mentioning that he made it. Just an interesting little tidbit I thought I'd share.

The Social Network is a crap movie. I will never understand the mass excitement around it.

Saw Unknown yesterday--not bad. A typical mystery-thriller with little character development, but lots of action, and big goofy Liam Neeson as an action star is oddly compelling.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why didn't you like The Social Network?

I just didn't see anything of merit in the whole thing. It wasn't horrible, and I enjoyed watching it as a pseudo-history of Facebook almost, but as a movie it was just dull and overlong. What did people actually like about it? To me the whole thing was generic Hollywood crap, and I don't see what about this movie was supposed to distinguish it from all the other bland Hollywood flicks released in the past year.

As a comparison point, I thought the movie sucked in the exact way that Benjamin Button did. It was almost exactly the same viewing experience. It presses all the right "Movie of the year!!!" buttons, and passes itself of as a sort of epic, but it is only Hollywood-original in that every move it makes is either trite, bland, or way overdone. You know how people sometimes point out that Donnie Darko is not a "smart" movie, but the kind of movie that makes people think it's a smart movie? BB and TSN are movies that make people think they're great, epic movies.

The rotten tomatoes blurb for TSN claims the movie is a great example of modern filmmaking. It's a shining example of modern filmmaking in the same way that Jonathan Safran Foer's books represent the height of contemporary literature.
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 02-27-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    I Am Number Four was created in a sort of script-factory where James Frey (oprah book liar guy) signs aspiring novelists to sell-your-soul-to-the-devil-type contracts, has them rush out loads of work in ridiculously short amounts of time, and basically takes all the profit and credit for the thing. Number Four is their only success so far, and the author was barred from ever mentioning that he made it. Just an interesting little tidbit I thought I'd share.
    Yeah, I was going to go see it just for Agron and Olyphant, until I found out about all this. No way was I gonna give that guy any of my money.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Mood

And..... **** The King's Speech.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!